PDA

View Full Version : Devs, CMs, How can we help?

Maida
07-13-2014, 02:18 PM
There seem to be a lot of bugs that the Devs can't figure out.
When mentioned here its alway suggested that we make a bug report.
Fine, so now I report every disconnect and bad lag situation.

What should I include in the bug report that would be most beneficial to the Dev team?

I started making a lag scale but it won't mean anything to devs.
To me level ten is where I can't see anyone but they easily kill me.

Kiwi, Scapes, or someone from Dev team please let us know what you need.

Edit: I'm on PS3 NA
Edit 2: This topic is solely about bug reports. I know a bit about networking and am sure I have done all that can reasonably be done to improve reliability. I don't have problems streaming multiple HD movies (or world cup matches) and playing other games at the same time. With defiance, I disconnect my laptops, desktops, and tablets (yes I have far too many gadjets) to reduce network traffic.

RAGEFIGHTER
07-13-2014, 02:23 PM
There seem to be a lot of bugs that the Devs can't figure out.
When mentioned here its alway suggested that we make a bug report.
Fine, so now I report every disconnect and bad lag situation.

What should I include in the bug report that would be most beneficial to the Dev team?

I started making a lag scale but it won't mean anything to devs.
To me level ten is where I can't see anyone but they easily kill me.

Kiwi, Scapes, or someone from Dev team please let us know what you need.

for start try all yor graphic setings lke blurr monitor shadows off then low gaph quality for mee and some more it was helpfull i tought my acer aspire v5 is powerfull i was wrong yess lat 2 weaks defiance is prety lagy for sure unuseable mission triggers monsters flying in walls and other creepe things :)

Atticus Batman
07-13-2014, 04:02 PM
for start try all yor graphic setings lke blurr monitor shadows off then low gaph quality for mee and some more it was helpfull i tought my acer aspire v5 is powerfull i was wrong yess lat 2 weaks defiance is prety lagy for sure unuseable mission triggers monsters flying in walls and other creepe things :)

Good advice, but the Op is on Ps3. We console players don't get all the graphics options that Pc players do. However on Xbox I lowered my gamma settings and although it of course made the game look like a dark and gritty 80s movie, I have noticed lots of bmgs and coldfire guns don't make me crashout much anymore.

DeadEye68
07-13-2014, 04:16 PM
One thing that baffles me is how much the game seems to be less stable on console compared to the PC version. An overwhelming majority of complaints come from PS3/X360 players.

Not that we don't experience severe lag spikes and time outs, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems to be for console players.

Roez
07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Just want to add Phantasie will ask people to help on the PTS from time to time. It's PC only, but the builds carry over to all platforms. You can see his posts in the Dev tracker to get an idea what the new builds are, and when a new one is out.

I realize it's no one's job as a customer, but it's actually somewhat interesting when involved with what's going on. You have to legitimately want to help, as it's a ghost town over there and there are really no special perks. There is a key code on the character select screen, news bulletin, which will give you a bunch of arkforge and some other stuff when you start a new character.

ConcreteSnake
07-13-2014, 04:23 PM
One thing that baffles me is how much the game seems to be less stable on console compared to the PC version. An overwhelming majority of complaints come from PS3/X360 players.

Not that we don't experience severe lag spikes and time outs, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems to be for console players.

10 year old hardware limitations

Heartlight
07-13-2014, 04:53 PM

I think it's a little more complicated than that, but only anecdotally because DCUO and FFARR don't do the same things to my machine.

However... back on topic, I'd surely pitch in where ever I could help to fix these issues.

Tigercml
07-13-2014, 05:27 PM

Maybe Trion should give Square Enix and SOE a call. They have no problems with the hardware.

ConcreteSnake
07-13-2014, 06:05 PM
I think it's a little more complicated than that, but only anecdotally because DCUO and FFARR don't do the same things to my machine.

However... back on topic, I'd surely pitch in where ever I could help to fix these issues.

DCUO is also a top down game similar to Diablo and you're lucky if there are 10 people in the same area as you compared to a 3rd person shooter with average of 30-50 people in the same area. They are not even comparable especially since the proxy memory slider on PC negates mist if the problem console players have.

Heartlight
07-13-2014, 06:23 PM
DCUO is also a top down game similar to Diablo and you're lucky if there are 10 people in the same area as you compared to a 3rd person shooter with average of 30-50 people in the same area. They are not even comparable especially since the proxy memory slider on PC negates mist if the problem console players have.

There's a lot of that that I don't understand; however, whenever I log into DCUO, there's an average of 30-50 people in non-instanced areas.

However, I'm not looking for them to be completely comparable, I was trying to make the point that the only difficulty I have ever experienced on my ps3 is with Defiance and I was trying to be informative by specifying the other online-only games that are included in my lineup of games. Technically speaking, I am not trying to make a claim. From a user-experience point of view, I am trying to elucidate my confusion.

drackiller
07-14-2014, 01:05 AM
There's a lot of that that I don't understand; however, whenever I log into DCUO, there's an average of 30-50 people in non-instanced areas.

However, I'm not looking for them to be completely comparable, I was trying to make the point that the only difficulty I have ever experienced on my ps3 is with Defiance and I was trying to be informative by specifying the other online-only games that are included in my lineup of games. Technically speaking, I am not trying to make a claim. From a user-experience point of view, I am trying to elucidate my confusion.

I agree with you. I already gave another example of a game that could support 256 players at the same time , MAG. Unfortunatelly the game is deceased but i played the game in the first months of release and this was years ago, i had no problems about disconections and lag with that game. Battles were Epic.

This is a problem of bad design for the consoles, specially the PS3, nothing else.

moof
07-14-2014, 08:56 AM
well ill say it like this

functionally,logically...there is no actual reason why ps3,x360,and pc players cant all be on one giant cluster server

data is data,consoles are still computers (the ps3 can install windows if i remember correctly)

the only thing preventing this is copyright stuff and lisensing

which is ironic as a genuine cluster server would probably have alot better preformance than what we got now..

as you noted drackiller ,this "mag" game could support epic battles,it most likely had a powerful cluster server behind it

Maida
07-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I'll try again. I really want a Dev or other Trion personnel to answer. Maybe if I say the magic words... Kiwi, Kiwi, Kiwi.
What info should we put in the bug report that can help identify problems faster.
Also if possible, could they tells us what info is sent from the system.
After a disconnect is the information from the exact time of the disconnect lost?
I assume it would be, but maybe its auto captured.

Strykewolf
07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Well, for what it is worth:

Been trying different things when the lag-zombies arise. So far, the only thing that seems to clear it, for me, is a quick relog of the game (or, waiting around 5 mins - my OCD 'I must kill things' kicks in at around 2 mins). And, I noticed that it seems to happen, most often; when the server is re-popping events. As in, when I come back, the events on the map are different and new. Sometimes, the event that lagged me to the point of jumping off, are gone; sometimes I am still in them and can complete them.