PDA

View Full Version : The Need/Want - Want some social interaction in your Defiance?

Alaric
04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Originally I had planned to just put up a quick website to get some community members together outside of these forums, as unfortunately the in-game social features, or lack there-of... well - it scruggin sucks.

Then.. I got to tinkering.. and http://theneedwant.com was born.

What it is: A player and guild directory, LFG tool, social network... thing-a-ma-gig. The Need/Want is the local watering hole and brothel of Defiance TV show. It is the center of town, in essence - so it seemed like a good fit. Business up front, party in the back.

Ultimately.. i'll be shaping this website in how you guys decide to use it. Some features may stay, other's may go. It'd be much appreciated if you guys started testing it out.

Some things you can currently do:
Create a group/guild
Friends list, PM
Mention people by using @handle (ie @Alaric needs coffee, right now)
Search for players (on the right sidebar is the advanced search - by region/account/age range)

Looking for a group? Join the LFG group at http://theneedwant.com/groups/lfg-looking-for-group/ - if you refresh page or click on the groups home tab- it'll refresh the activity feed and you can see the latest people looking to group up.

I also want to try to make everything mobile/tablet friendly as possible for those who like to have a second screen around while you're playing.

This is in its early, early stages and right now i'm focused on functionality and then documentation - afterwhich i'll be sure to make it looks a little sexier than the shtako-state it's in now. If we have any talented graphic designers/ui designers in the community that wouldn't mind lending a hand - get in touch, would love the help. I'll be putting up a feedback form soon and you can reach me here, on in this forum post, or at alaric@theneedwant.com

Some things being tossed around:
Player blogs
User Media (upload screenshots, youtube vids, etc)
Group/Guild Banners? Or some level of customization
Site Achievements? Gimmie dem shiny badges!

And my first question to you guys is regarding forums. Would you want them? Second, would you want your own Group/guild level forums? Live chat?

I'm sure i'm missing something, but my brain is shot - I need coffee. So in closing, hopefully this is useful to some of you, and i'd appreciate any and all input. Look forward to seeing you guys in-game.. and ya know.. maybe grouping up every once in awhile :p

Caios
04-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Cool, I'll have to play with it a bit. :)

Senel
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Looks cool, definitely a needed & great idea. I don't know about forums i'm partial to the Defiance forums but hey they couldn't hurt!

Azuresky
04-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Hahaha "Powered by Hellbug tears" :D I'll check it out. Seems like a great idea!

Alaric
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Haha glad someone caught that Azuresky (:

Update:

Feedback form (http://theneedwant.com/feedback/) is now up - a link can be found at the bottom of the right sidebar as well.

Other news - going to run a community time-trial event this evening (and more to come) - submission will need to be either a screenshot/phone pic/etc of your score via the website. Details to come.

Lodestar
04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Now here is the sort of community spirit I like. I shall be right over soon as I can.

Caios
04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Screw it, I'm adding this to my sig.

Nipper
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
If you like I can offer up a 100 or so man TS3 server to use just for defiance. If you like that is. Just give me the word I will set it up.

Alaric
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Hey thanks for the offer Nipper - just having the option would be a nice addition for the folks who either a. don't have a guild/don't want a guild - and/or b. people with a guild that just want to drop in from time to time. Especially until they manage to improve the in-game VOIP (which scares me to death). If you'd like me to put the info up on the site let me know, thanks again!

Or I can run a poll after we pick up speed and find out how many would utilize it.

Nipper
04-03-2013, 02:55 PM
It don't matter to me. Takes little then 10minutes to set up which I already did. Anyways the address is ts3.mcdominion.net:9988 or Click here (ts3server://ts3.mcdominion.net?port=9988)(This is for those who are lazy to copy and paste) there is no password and is treated as a public server. As for the limit it can hold I can tweek it as needed. I have up to 500 or so slots on my lic. But I use about 100 or so for my main server for minecraft.

Alaric
04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks again for that Nipper - got it displayed in the sidebar now.

Other updates:
When you hover of people's avatar a little box appears with some profile info so you don't have to keep clicking through profiles.

Whole new media section under Profiles now. Can create and manage albums and upload photos.
Images can also be added via Activity (when you click inside the text area to post a new update there's an "Attach Media" button).

Follow function has been added under profile as well. Shows your followers and who you follow like Twitter. This works the same way as the "friends" component - however the connection doesn't need to be accepted. This added various "follow" buttons which are overlapping the friend button (which i'll fix).

Next up.. taking a look at making "Groups" more robust so it's actually a viable option for guilds to utilize.

Also will be tweaking registration.. as currently having username and account name fields is just an added step - and should be just a single field.

------------------------------------------

Hopefully can get some more folks interested in my little community project - and hope to see some more people out for the next event! (:

Saraya
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Defiance is on Steam, that covers all social relations you should need outside of the game.
We don't need anymore Facebook, Twitter and blah so we can perpetuate this narcissistic view that people give a crap about you playing video games.

As for an actual website for the purpose of a database and general information for new players, absolutely....

But I tell you this...I'll give 100% support if the website you do put together, if it let's people blog away their eyes out, so they'll stop making these forums their personal dumping grounds.

Alaric
04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm on Steam as well.. but it's been split 50/50 with those i've talked with (most of the older group and a lot of the mainly MMORPG crowd I know don't use it). Have you checked out their community sections lately? Defiance in particular? Talk about nasty.

And unfortunately... the in-game social interaction is terrible at the moment. I don't mind cutting out all of the activity portion of the site AFTER they do something about it. I really just think it'd be nice to have a single spot to find a directory of players/guilds. I enjoy the Facebook, Twitter blah blah when it's utilized for a single community/purpose - but that's just me.

All for the blogging section - work in progress. Will be a fun experiment anywho (:

BigRamsay
04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey Alaric,

Thanks for this dude. This will hopefully bring those who are serious ( and maybe not so serious) about Defiance together in one spot. I for one signed up!

Thanks again,

Ramsay

Aspect
04-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I shall take a look to be sure. And in so doing move this back to the front page, or what I like to call "The Page of Woes", for a bit.

Alaric
04-04-2013, 01:45 PM
LOL "Page of Woes" is definitely fitting :o *ducks*

Memphis
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
I think I'll check this out sometime! I can't stand how "quiet" Defiance is, but I'm not at all interested in joining a Clan; just want some easy-going pals.

Defiance is on Steam, that covers all social relations you should need outside of the game.

This assumes every PC player bought a Steam copy, and that we have a functional LFG or chat system in the game :P

draakdorei
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
I like the site, signing up for it now.

I'm in the same shoes as Memphis too...just want someone to hang with without the commitment of clans/guilds.

I didn't get the Steam copy too...my PC has issues with Steam, too lazy to fix it.

Alaric
04-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Glad to see more people showing interest! I've felt that way for awhile myself Draak - I do love guilds, but when I do decide to join one I prefer small ones over the big multi-game ones sporting hundreds of people. Another reason behind this project (which is already working out great) - is getting to hang out with people in many guilds. In my eyes.. community is what makes MMO's so damn fun.

Memphis
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I'll be signing up soon. This is a mighty fine idea, I just wish the forums didn't move ridiculously fast so that we could draw attention to this. Maybe you could run this by Defiance Central?

Alaric
04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the support Memphis - just shot an email to the guys over at Defiance Central.

Merrin Nightbringer
04-05-2013, 10:23 AM
This strikes me as an awesome idea. Can't wait to register and see what the buzz is :)

Alaric
04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Should have player blogs up over the weekend.

Any opinion on the guild forums? One giant forum? Or no forums at all?

Alaric
04-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Nice to see some interest being shown - we're up to 28 members (:

LunaticWoda
04-06-2013, 01:14 PM
GoDaddy yuck ill pass >.>

Alaric
04-06-2013, 01:45 PM
The server is not hosted by GoDaddy, and never will be. I like them for domains - and that's it. I have enough problems getting my clients to switch (:

Kittyko
04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
ill sign up if u remove that bad picture and heavy photoshopped picture of yourself nobody has a face thats so lit up like a jackolantern. just wierd

Kittyko
04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
ur face has like 5 different tone's due to heavy photoshop... u dont even look like that at all 100%

Alaric
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
It was an instagram photo taken with my phone - and the lighting was from... sunlight. But just for you, i'll change it to this new one of me hanging out at my own local "NeedWant" (:

Memphis
04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Keeping this up and visible, as it's still needed!