PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial Suckage

Heartlight
07-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Omg, I suck at driving. If you're on PS3 NA and you see a Steve cross a vast and empty field and hit that one lonely tree in the middle of it, that's me.

So how the heck does anyone get anywhere in these time trials? Are there tricks to controlling these vehicles with a ps3 controller? Did everyone have a meeting last year and I didn't get the memo?

I can twitch with the second best of them but I'm having a huge conflict between my ocd to finish everything -and get the ego points- and my hatred of the time trials.

Any ps3 "hold your tongue this way" tips? At this point, I'm willing to try anything.

<3

Zhedda
07-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Well, I can't give any feedback on the controller as I play PC and I actually (strangely) find it easier to drive with the keyboard. Here is my general advice:

Never use boost going into a turn. You will spin yourself out of control.

Have your orientation fixed before you land. If you turn into a landing you can spin out of control. However, if you change your angle of attack in the air, when you come down you just take off in that direction. No control issues whatsoever.

Boost after you land (and your vehicle has settled) to pick up any speed you lost while in the air.

Boost after a turn to pick up any speed you lost after turning.

Boost up hills, to pick up speed you lose while climbing hills.

Boost on the straights, but be cautious of future terrain. If you are about to come up on a hill or a turn it may be best to save that boost to tackle the hill, or to boost out of the turn to help you get back up to speed faster.

Use the regular (non-hand) brakes as needed coming into sharper turns. It is better to lose a little time hitting the ring, than it is to overshoot it, and have to back up to go through it (if backing up is even an option; on some maps it is not).

Have at least runner level 10.

Took me around 4-8 tries per map, on some of the harder maps, so it definitely ain't easy. Pretty much comes down to boost management, and learning which speed you can take the various rings at. Then getting lucky and not having stuff spawn in the middle of the course.

Combo Breaker
07-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Don't get mad at one and move to the next (unless there is an event near the one your doing). I did the same one over and over until I knew where every turn and obstacle was. Eventually you get it.

Kanah
07-14-2014, 10:28 AM
I still have three to do. I find them a profoundly annoying exercise in frustration.

Mushbeeguy
07-14-2014, 10:32 AM
I'm with you Heartlight. It's just frustrating when you crit out of the best run you made. I've pretty much thrown my hands up at it all. I really need something FUN to balance the time spent on Time Trials. I'm over 5k so the rest of it is just a slog anyway. :)

On Edit: Please don't misunderstand me, I'm sure it's doable and lots of folks have. I just suck at it. :)

Ruinne
07-14-2014, 10:41 AM
I love the time trials and I may be the worst driver in the bay.

Just remember, when you drive badly it's not your life that's the most at risk. It's the people on the side walk.

So it's OK!

Maida
07-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Compared to other pursuits I had relatively little problems with the races. I'm on PS3 NA.
1. Boost as often as possible. I thought missing a gate would be the worst but when I started using boost every chance I got I still did better. Its counter intuitive, I know. My time dropped by 10 seconds on almost every track allowing me to get gold. Some say boost in the air doesn't help. So recharge when your off the ground.
2. Drive the same quad around. This avoids having to readjust to the way different vehicles handle.
3. Max out skill and clan skill to get the boosts
4. Clear out the road side events along the way.
5. Time. I would say practice but the vehicle physics are so messed up that it takes a bit of luck so just give yourself plenty of chances to get lucky.
It seemed really hard at the time, until I tried to finish the hotshot and rampages. By comparison it was easy.
I had a much harder time with those. Sharpshooter savior was the worst. I think it just glitched and gave it to me out of pity.

Edit: I've heard one of my clan mates say they had to turn the stick sensitivity on their ps3 controller down to make the controls more smooth and predictable.

sarahatesclowns
07-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I agree with most of the mentioned tips. Especially at sticking to the Hannibal for most of your driving so you're well used to how it handles. Gaining Runner Levels makes a world of difference. I, too, suck at driving and seem to find the gravitational pull into lone trees...

That being said, what I found to work most consistently is to fight the adrenaline and be cautious, especially when learning the track. Do the Boost in spurts through the gates, save the long blasts for straightaways. This keeps the boost meter fairly full for where you need it.

And for some reason, if I run the route 5+ times and still get the urge to Rage Quit, it's amazing how much better it seems to work out by saving it to the next day. Maybe the subconscious works overnight, who knows.

Good Luck!

Heartlight
07-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks for support everyone! At least I know I'm not alone in the crazy-making :) I'll give the driving tips a try next time. Maybe I should have a shooter beforehand too, not be so stressed :)

Fun01
08-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Not until recently I start doing Time Trial in effect of finishing all the Pursuit.
This time trial requirement for Pursuit offers me nothing but bothersome, find no enjoyment doing them.
I for one is perfectly fine remove the time trial as whole from game.

Shadakine
08-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Not sure if you still play cause of the semi-necrobump from Fun01 but (and this is going to sound counterintuitive) let off your gas button when you want to actually be able to steer your quad and need it to quickly respond to your input. I swear to god on the xbox360 it turns BETTER when you aren't holding the "go" button, you can actually dodge crap in the road/rocks/trees by tapping and/or fully letting go of the acceleration button rather than holding it when you get into tight quarters. That's just my opinion though, you'll have to try it yourself to see if it works or if my game is bugged (I say that with a sad, sad smile because at this point I can't tell if my stuff is working right or not).

whit
08-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Edit: I've heard one of my clan mates say they had to turn the stick sensitivity on their ps3 controller down to make the controls more smooth and predictable.

This tip, which is not often mentioned, helped me a lot. My stick was set to 2 bars, okay for almost everything, but when you do the time trials and you do those panic turns, it gets a bit wild. When I set it down to 1 bar, I found turning more controlled. After I finished the time trials, I set it 1.5 as I found 2 was also too much in PVP panic situations.

I suck at racing, it probably took about 30 goes for each gold. Knowing the course is the key and making best use of the boost. I would try to get 3 goodish times then call it a day. Repeat every day till I got it.

Bentu
08-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Omg, I suck at driving. If you're on PS3 NA and you see a Steve cross a vast and empty field and hit that one lonely tree in the middle of it, that's me.

So how the heck does anyone get anywhere in these time trials? Are there tricks to controlling these vehicles with a ps3 controller? Did everyone have a meeting last year and I didn't get the memo?

I can twitch with the second best of them but I'm having a huge conflict between my ocd to finish everything -and get the ego points- and my hatred of the time trials.

Any ps3 "hold your tongue this way" tips? At this point, I'm willing to try anything.

<3

Hey Heartlight, like you I suck at driving games and the time trials in this one are no different. I haven't managed to gold all if them but I've managed to silver them for the pursuit.
Inially I kept on missing the gates especially the ones close together as I gad trouble seeing them on a tight turn. Anyway I was doing them for so long that it turned to night (in game) & the darkness actually made it easier to see the gates.
One other thing, when yiu take a jump keep your wheels straight even uf you have gone slightly off line because when you land you will spin out wasting time.

Telemachus
08-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Have only finished one of the pursuits of the areas in game , the first one. Dislike the racing time trials in the game, if they didn't have the emergencies or arkfalls disrupting them it would be slightly less irritating. Having an emergency sitting in the middle of a gateway sucks, it's like saying to someone that's running them... screw you start again. It's not a race it's a blockade brick wall failure then.

Now it's been awhile and I'm at 5K plus ego level, if I finished them all... I'd have to level up my weapons, and have only a few decent weapons near my characters present level.

Not getting arkforge much nowadays. Would have to BUY.... 12k to just update the oranges I have already. It would just be worse if I finished them and gained 250+ or more ego levels.

Perchta
08-14-2014, 07:30 AM
When I asked this after first coming to Defiance it was suggested to forget about timed vehicle events till I maxed out my vehicles. So I did. Once maxed out I returned to the timed vehicle events and they were easy. Not sure what improves as your vehicle skill raises but something sure does.

Xaat Xuun
08-14-2014, 11:35 PM
on top of me being a terrible key board driver, I also have to contend with slow loads. As long as there is no emergencies in the path, I can handle trials like in this image (http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii601/XaatXuun/Durangochallenge_zps5ef5415a.jpg)
it was actually easier for me that way . . but towards the end saw land again and all over the place like a drunk Monkey and missed getting a gold

Market
08-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Not sure what improves as your vehicle skill raises but something sure does.

Driving them increases your skill, but getting massive air or killing critters with them will increase it faster as far as I could tell.

Big Jack Shepard
08-15-2014, 12:04 AM
I assume that you have your runners up to 20.

Mainly its just memorizing the course, and realizing that you can boost in parts of the course you wouldn't normally expect to be able to boost through.

Big Jack Shepard
08-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Hey Heartlight, like you I suck at driving games and the time trials in this one are no different. I haven't managed to gold all if them but I've managed to silver them for the pursuit.
Inially I kept on missing the gates especially the ones close together as I gad trouble seeing them on a tight turn. Anyway I was doing them for so long that it turned to night (in game) & the darkness actually made it easier to see the gates.
One other thing, when yiu take a jump keep your wheels straight even uf you have gone slightly off line because when you land you will spin out wasting time.
Yeah, some time trials are much easier at night.