PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a place in the forums for Defiance Game Fan Fiction and if no, why not?

Belle Starr
07-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Do we have a place in the forums for Defiance Game Fan Fiction and if no, why not? I bet there are several hardcore role players (like me) and role players lite (self proclaimed in the forums) who have or would like to write fan fiction about their characters or their clan in the Defiance World, but have no place to put it. Furthermore, I thinks there are many who might want to read it in the forums, particularly when the servers are down.

There are two forum threads in General Discussion that somewhat cater to role players already. The "What is your lore?" thread allows Defiance Players to write a back story for their characters and the "RP Character Database" allows role players to give a current physical and mental description of their character, but they are only meant to be a paragraph or two long. I've contributed to both, and it was fun to do, but what if your creative juices are really flowing and you want to write a full-blown short story? Is there a place for it in the Defiance Game community so that those who want to can enjoy it?

I know the majority of players in Defiance are here just to kill stuff, gain loot, get ego experience, and go on to the next Ark Fall or War Master or whatever, and that's great fun too. But fan fiction is a time-honored way to have fun, and get immersed in the game environment other than the PVE missions, so why not have a place for it in Defiance?

I know some will deride me for even suggesting this, which is why I don't contribute to the forums much. I can hear it already, "I didn't come to the forums to read somebody's 13-page trash , I came to discuss game winning tactics - period!" Or, "I came to advise and/or complain about Trion, not Heaven forbid, read!" Or, "I came to deride those whom dare to do any of the above." But wouldn't it be nice to have a fourth alternative? Just saying! :D

OK, I'll wait right here for the first of you to say, "Belle, that is a really crappy idea!" Waiting....

Etaew
07-14-2014, 11:40 AM
There is a Story and Lore section: http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?32-Story-amp-Lore

Belle Starr
07-14-2014, 12:06 PM
There is a Story and Lore section: http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?32-Story-amp-Lore

Thanks Etaew for the REALLY quick response and info on the "Story and Lore" section of the forums, but I'm not sure - after surfing just the first page of that section I admit - that this would be the place to submit any fan fiction of any length.

There are mostly questions about characters and races in the game, and whether they will appear on the show. There are some great creative threads in that section, like the ones I mentioned already, as well as Smitch's video story project and Bakku's 100-1000 word drabble game (gotta try that). :)

I'll look further in that section, but I suspect that it isn't really for fan fiction short stories, but maybe it could be! Thanks again! :D

Clarity Page
07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Fan fiction sounds good, just avoid the weird raunchy stuff,
the Stahma and Kenya thing was enough fan service.. why are lesbian relationships in programs usually for the sake of fan service not character depth? anyway moving on from that topic
yep go write us some good arkhunter stories i might try some at some point

Belle Starr
07-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I actually have written a 13 page story about my Defiance character and her clan and which I think is pretty good, without raunchy stuff per se, but I'm just not sure where to submit it. There is some implied heterosexual and homosexual sex *blush*, but not explicit and only for character development. Nothing that will get me in trouble with Trion, and PG 13 at worst, but again -where should I submit it?

Etaew
07-14-2014, 01:52 PM
-where should I submit it?
If you want to check with the forum rules, and they don't meet your criteria. I could potentially create a fanfiction part of the DD community site, but no guarantee on how well it will be used.

Belle Starr
07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it later :) But you are absolutely correct, I need to do some homework on forum rules first!

dearhcrow89
07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
i like the idea, maybe to give it something more maybe a none trion forum or website with only rp in mind i for one would love this but hard to meet people in a game like this that are interested in this

Clarity Page
07-14-2014, 02:30 PM
I actually have written a 13 page story about my Defiance character and her clan and which I think is pretty good, without raunchy stuff per se, but I'm just not sure where to submit it. There is some implied heterosexual and homosexual sex *blush*, but not explicit and only for character development. Nothing that will get me in trouble with Trion, and PG 13 at worst, but again -where should I submit it?

Sounds good, i'll defo read it when/if you can post it. Good luck.
I think you should be alright by forum rules, the admins seem pretty happy as long as your not being offensive or naming & shaming. I do wonder how you will get on with copyrighted elements of defiance such as certain characters ect but syfy would be insane to call the ban hammer on community content.

PS just a though (you might of already done this) maybe you could create "Char Cards" for your characters with there appearance and preferred load out it would give us a good insight on them, at least in terms of the game world

Maida
07-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Edit: Great idea, fanfic is fun and has started the careers of at least a few high profile authors.

Fanfic kind of falls in a legal grey area (mostly its not legal but goes unnoticed).
Some content creators are okay with it and some not.
I could see some issues with Trion officially sanctioning fan fic by hosting it on their sight without SyFy's input.
The whole creative rights things is weird.
For example take the Tick. The live action series couldn't use Defledermaus and had to change the name to Batmanuel because Disney owned the cartoon rights to those characters but they could use other characters that were owned by the comic creator and licensed to them.
It gets complicated quickly.

I would suggest using a third party sight it might be easier and have less chance of getting shut down in a hurry. there are dedicated websites to fanfic, FanFiction.net used to be popular until it banned many types of stories and added all kinds of rules.

Belle Starr
07-14-2014, 03:20 PM
There are two threads in General Discussion Forum that does just that! "What is your lore?" allows you to write a very short backstory about our character before the game starts and "RP Character Database" has you write a current physical and mental description as well as favorite whatever you want to include, including favorite load out. I submitted to both as to my character, and it was FUN to do! I know I mentioned them when I started this thread, but it's well worth mentioning again!

As to the third party website, I found one under the search Defiance-game-fan-fiction, and it contained three submissions. I just don't think it will reach the target audience - Defiance game players - unless its attached to the Defiance game website. But you are right that Trion and I guess Syfy would have to be on board, but I don't see how fan fiction could hurt them. I mean, it was fan excitement that has kept the Star Trek and Star wars franchises going for so long :D

So how about it Trion representative? What do you think? :)