PDA

View Full Version : Why is season 2 better then season 1?

Chocolatelover67
07-15-2014, 06:53 AM
I mean it's good but why couldn't they have done this in the first season and made a good show?

Season 1 feels like a whole other show...

Why wasn't it as good as the current season?

N3gativeCr33p
07-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Why wasn't it as good as the current season?

Too many characters all crammed into a small area (the town of Defiance) would be my guess. They also probably realized that they needed to "up the ante" once they saw how mediocre the ratings were last season.

Vanor
07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
With everything you typically get better at it the longer you do it. So it makes sense that the 2nd season would be better.

Jack_Pryce
07-15-2014, 08:38 AM
As Tvtropes tell us, the show grew the beard. They figured out what worked, what didn't, and how to make everything better. and most importantly, what the audience wanted from the show.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

Terrato137
07-15-2014, 08:58 AM
As Tvtropes tell us, the show grew the beard. They figured out what worked, what didn't, and how to make everything better. and most importantly, what the audience wanted from the show.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

Now if only they can do the same for the game...

N3gativeCr33p
07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Now if only they can do the same for the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0

SxB_xPUDDYTATx
07-15-2014, 09:38 AM
defiance as a television show/video game tie in was an experiment. syfy was smart in the way the first season was produced. each episode seemed to be stand-alone, meaning you could watch each one not really needing to know what happened in the show before it. that was until the last 3 or 4 episodes, when they started to build a progressing storyline. an approach like that makes it easy to cancel a show at any time, since people who watch wont get attached to an ever growing character or story. now that syfy has seen a good base of viewers, they are able to really expand the story they started at the end of season 1, whith what seems a larger budget and better resources to work with. as far as the show goes, i think season 2 is a huge improvement, and i am really enjoying it so far.

on a side note...

when i talked to people in the midst of season 1 about my feelings towards the game, and the show, i used to tell them that the show alone was probably a 7 out of 10, and the game around a 6/7 out of ten, but even with minimal crossover, combined they reached a 9 out of 10 for enjoyment and entertainment.

taking all things into account with the start of season 2, and the update to defiance 2.0 in game, my opinion has drastically changed. i would now give the show itself a 9/10, but the game has fallen to a ridiculous 3/10. a person would think that the two would rise together, but it is so much the opposite. its sad to see that the show may last for quite a few seasons, while the game itself will be dead before christmas this year.

Chocolatelover67
07-15-2014, 09:04 PM
defiance as a television show/video game tie in was an experiment. syfy was smart in the way the first season was produced. each episode seemed to be stand-alone, meaning you could watch each one not really needing to know what happened in the show before it. that was until the last 3 or 4 episodes, when they started to build a progressing storyline. an approach like that makes it easy to cancel a show at any time, since people who watch wont get attached to an ever growing character or story. now that syfy has seen a good base of viewers, they are able to really expand the story they started at the end of season 1, whith what seems a larger budget and better resources to work with. as far as the show goes, i think season 2 is a huge improvement, and i am really enjoying it so far.

on a side note...

when i talked to people in the midst of season 1 about my feelings towards the game, and the show, i used to tell them that the show alone was probably a 7 out of 10, and the game around a 6/7 out of ten, but even with minimal crossover, combined they reached a 9 out of 10 for enjoyment and entertainment.

taking all things into account with the start of season 2, and the update to defiance 2.0 in game, my opinion has drastically changed. i would now give the show itself a 9/10, but the game has fallen to a ridiculous 3/10. a person would think that the two would rise together, but it is so much the opposite. its sad to see that the show may last for quite a few seasons, while the game itself will be dead before christmas this year.

I LOVE your sig. So much truth and wisdom in that... It's like they have one lot of people who programmed the game and then use another lot of people who have no clue how the game works running it :)