PDA

View Full Version : About Bits and the way to get em.

Silmarish
07-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Hi guys, im new to the game (just a couple of days playing) and i was wondering, since all the great stuff is only available for real money, is there any way to trade anything valuable of the game world for bits or any way to trade something for bits, so even if i need several months to do it, i dont need to invest real money (just time) on it?

A few other mmorpgs of this style i play have this function implemented. And i was surprised that i didnt see anything like that around Defiance.

Mostly because if this is not possible, i dont think i will decide to keep playing. I will probably spent a few euros every month, but as i noticed, the prices are so expensive that it is a no no for me.

Chevota
07-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Only way to get Bits, is to Buy Bits...

Now, there are programs that can net you free money to buy Bits... IE: Bing Rewards program can net you free Microsoft points (auto-converted to $ on account) which you can then use to buy Bits, if youd so choose to do.

Silmarish
07-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Too bad, that was i thought. I just wanted to play another different game for a change, but i guess i will be stucked to the other two mmorpgs im playing right now that already have this system. Thanks for the info thoug!!.There is not really too much worth to play if you need to play with real money everytime you want something "cool".

rosetta_cd_29A
07-16-2014, 12:21 PM
pffft...

Press J and look at your pursuits, there are plenty of cool outfits you can get by finishing pursuits! After barely playing 2 days i was able to get the Anarchist (http://www.defiancedata.com/item.php?id=257) outfit. I really want the Nomad one though, to show off them legs! :p

Kershoc
07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
The only things you HAVE to spend bits on are primarily cosmetic items and boosts. None of the gear lottery boxes in the store are worth the price, seeing as they are just that a lottery. The exact same lottery that is used for drops and the regular lockboxes you buy with various in game currency. You can do just fine in game without ever spending a dime.

rosetta_cd_29A
07-16-2014, 12:31 PM
You can do just fine in game without ever spending a dime.

Well, 35 inventory slots is kind of a bummer, but i wouldn't worry about the limited keycode capacity at all. I have scrapped some things i didn't really want to due to space, but once i saw how much arkforge i get it was prolly for the best.

And **** those boosts, that is cheating in my eyes, or pay to win shtako. For real, if Trick says the highest score wins, and we can BUY a boost to boost our score to double, well..

gobbluthcomeon.jpg

Kershoc
07-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I can agree that just starting out inventory can be really tight. You get more slot as you ego up, so it gets better.

rosetta_cd_29A
07-16-2014, 12:38 PM
You get more slot as you ego up, so it gets better.

Us new F2P players do not get any inventory slots unless we buy them with bits. Well, I am at ego 7XX and still at 35.

See here: http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=21

Kershoc
07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't have the exact numbers but I want to say the first increase in slots is around the 1K ego mark. It's been forever so I don't recall the scale of where exactly when they pass them out. But there are increases, just keep leveling. :)

EDIT
Scratch all this!!! Extremely old data. I'm way behind in the times. Just checked against Defiance Data and you are right. F2P is 35 total. They removed the extra slots as you level up and pass them all out at the start now. Sometimes it sucks to be an old fogey.

dwej1973
07-16-2014, 12:47 PM
The only things you HAVE to spend bits on are primarily cosmetic items and boosts. None of the gear lottery boxes in the store are worth the price, seeing as they are just that a lottery. The exact same lottery that is used for drops and the regular lockboxes you buy with various in game currency. You can do just fine in game without ever spending a dime.

i wouldn't say that the outlaw and veteran and power boxes contain very nice out fits.

Silmarish
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Well, cosmetic things in the end are more "important" than you think, maybe not at first, but it happens in all mmorpgs, when you play for a while, you now want that good looking outift and you cant just get it because you need bits.. in a lot of mmorpgs (well, almost all of em i played) you have a currency that you gather in-game and you can trade that currency for , in this case, bits. So, for example, if you already been playing for 2 months (just a number), in other games you will have enough currency to trade for the needed amount of real money you need to buy that good looking outift. All it took was playing time. And you dont need to charge real money as well. Its not something that will keep me out of the game, but i dont have too much time to play and i already i am "full" with other games that i can do this and i dont have any hurry at all. Just knowing that eventually i will be able to gather that outfit just investing play time gives me a real motivation to keep playing. And of course im not saying that i will never charge, i always do, but the ammount of little money i will charge will be just a boost to get things faster, thats all. Call it a little contribution or watever.

Its not the game itself what is not calling me, its the mechanics of the bits system that makes me doubt a little about the goals of the company behind the game and all the power creep that rich players will have making the game really unbalanced.

Kershoc
07-16-2014, 12:54 PM
i wouldn't say that the outlaw and veteran and power boxes contain very nice out fits.

I would much rather just buy the outfits. Playing a lottery in hopes of getting an outfit I want is an exercise in futility. :D Especially seeing as the only piece of gear I wanted out of the 7th legion supply crate is the Sedge Hat. Months of dumping my rep on that crate and it still hasn't coughed up the goods.

rosetta_cd_29A
07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
They removed the extra slots as you level up and pass them all out at the start now.

Hey, Trick's gotta eat! :p

But seriously, all the other F2P games i have played all had some way to earn the premium currency in-game. Granted it was a jekking GRIND, but if you don't work it's usually a viable option. If they let players trade Bits the game's economy would get rather interesting, methinks.

happymerchant.jpg

Kershoc
07-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Just knowing that eventually i will be able to gather that outfit just investing play time gives me a real motivation to keep playing.

This will boil down to exactly what outfit do you want. There are a bunch you can get through regular game play. There are a bunch that are bit shop exclusives. Then there are a whole bunch of bit outfits that are just re-skins of the outfits you get by playing. No matter how you get the outfit, none of them can be traded between players in game.

rosetta_cd_29A
07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Well, cosmetic things in the end are more "important" than you think, maybe not at first, but it happens in all mmorpgs, when you play for a while, you now want that good looking outift and you cant just get it because you need bits..

And in all of those other games you can spin the camera around and see your player too! There are safe zones where players gather as they wait for the raid que to pop and chat and emote and RP and socialize. This is the least social online game i have played, there is not even a /sit command! Granted, i am still going to buy that labcoat just because i want to wear those sweet high heels, even if i'll rarely get a glimpse of them. :o

But i'd love to pay some bits for some more emotes! And a way to spin the camera around and remove the UI for screen shots, oh ****!

Maybe in a few months if things are not going as expected Trion will let players trade bits so you can grind out lockboxes and trade your OJ stuff for bits to players with more money than time.

Atticus Batman
07-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Only way to get Bits, is to Buy Bits...

Now, there are programs that can net you free money to buy Bits... IE: Bing Rewards program can net you free Microsoft points (auto-converted to $ on account) which you can then use to buy Bits, if youd so choose to do.

Bing Rewards also offer Rixty cards, that Pc players can use to get bits.

Blu
07-16-2014, 05:20 PM
that make you happy, I am a skinner, so I pay a lot of attention to looks as well in games,

the best outfits in this game, you CANT buy, you can only earn..

one of the only f2p (now) mmo's that I can earn outfits that I get to keep,

as in, skins, and not just armor upgrades..

gw2 I can earn gems by selling my gold to get gems, which I can BUY skins from there in game store, even though I bought that game as well, we still have to pay for certain things,

just like inventory space in gw2, even though I bought the game, they only give a limited amount and it requires more gems to buy more space..

but I can not earn most of GW2 skins/costumes by playing the game, I can earn armors, which unlock skins, which I then have to use a trans stone to change my looks as I lvl up and find new gear,,

I have never seen a generation that wants to much for nothing and that has come to expect this or they pout..

just like over a d2 RoS, some ppl are complaining because now they may have to take 2 xtra weeks to get to max lvl due to exp changes in rift runs,,

ppl complain that now they may not find a certain item in game after playing a few months,

imagine playing a game 6+yrs and not finding the BIS items for your class at all, for any slot..

---------------------

ark predator and the living to kill outfits are the best in game, they take some work, but ark predator is a lot easier now to obtain then it ever was,, I spent to many hours playing this game first time around and only made it to ego 4050 on xbox NA..

on pc I made it to 34++ in a few weeks, with only a week or so to go b4 I can unlock, for free one of the best outfits in game?

idk what ppl want anymore, but growing up and dealing with all these companies and games, defiance has issues, but for a f2p model, compared to other ones, like black gold online,

yea you can unlock or buy with in game gold a outfit or mount in BGO, but you only get to keep it for 14days,,

you get a great deal of game here for free,,

now waiting to see firefall, it seems like a rip of t his game some, mostly due to the bugs,
but it will be f2p for non beta testers on the 29th,

every game, even if you buy them is going to this model, proof of this is with gw2 and with the ppl who bought this game, defiance on pre order or on release, within a yr or so its f2p, rift is f2p, everything is going this way,

you don't get no bonus to this game by buying stuff from the store, you can get boosts to help your score, but thts about it,

if you want to spend money to try and beat my score, or not run out of nades or anything else that can be bought from this games store, then go ahead,

but you will not win vs me even with it, it will still take you to have ego, skill and a understanding of your gear and your perks,.,

as a f2p game I do say defiance and rift have most of that right and you get a lot for nothing, I don't see this much at all in other games or betas that I am in.

I do wish there was a way to farm for bits through playing the game, like I can farm for gold in gw2 and trade gold for gems,

its a long process that way, so you have the option to pay now and speed that up, this is pretty much the case with most games online now, can play and farm, it will be slower and you can still earn,

or pay now, enjoy a faster progress..

Xaat Xuun
07-16-2014, 08:13 PM
when they unlock the season one codes, you'll be able to get 6 more inventory slots

Silmarish
07-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Actually this is the only online / mmorpg game i played that i cannot "earn" premium items with just invested time. Im just really curious why almost all mmorpgs have this feature and Defiance doesnt. But it is something that creeps me out, because this means, that this is going to be a pure money creeper oriented game, and i am not in favor of that. It also creeps me out that this game is made for more than 1 plattform, and i dont ever play games that are derived from console titles. I actually love the show, but the game is not really what i expected. Technically is just fine, but i must say that the first person view of your character is terrible. No zoom options, the perspective is awful, and the animations are just too weird for me ^^. Even with that i was willing to give it a chance, but after knowing this about the bits currency, i definitely not going to play this game.

Anyways i hope this game evolves for better because a Defiance game is always cool, no matter what. And its always better to have this than nothing. Good luck!.

Vanor
07-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Im just really curious why almost all mmorpgs have this feature and Defiance doesnt.

AFAIK Rift doesn't have any way of earning Credits either.

But one thing I noticed is most other MMO's that allow you to earn the story currency, is that they are typically more restrictive then Rift or Defiance is.

Take for example LotRO, sure you earn points by doing stuff in game. But you also need to buy 80% of the content, you can only really make it to lvl 25 or so with FtP after that you have to buy the quest packs.

I do have a question about bits though.

I'm trying to decide if any of these things are actually worth buying or not...

Keycode upgrade. Right now I can hold 50, so I can only buy T3 lockboxes, but I'm not sure being able to buy T4 is actually worth 5 bucks or not.

Same goes for the increased inventory slots and loadout slots. So far 35 inv slots have been enough, and I don't see much reason to buy a 3rd loadout slot. But I'm new and only at EGO 7XX so maybe down the road they're worth it?

BroadEye
07-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm just over 2xxx, the inventory slots are worth it to me (bought a '15' so far, thinking of getting another), but it is a convenience. I use the slots to carry multiple versions of a gun type to ensure optimal weapon type levelling. Also I can see benefit to carrying different nano versions depending on enemy types. And when you are chasing an event you can pickup a lot of weapon drops, which adds up. But it's just convenient, you could work around that. At this stage I don't feel the loadout or character slots would be worth it nor the keycode upgrade. But that might change at much higher ego levels. Haven't been interested in anything else in the store.

Murzin
07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
no game can function in a F2P model without people buying stuff in the shop.

if you are not willing to invest money on the game, then you have to accept that if/when the game fails, you share the responsibility for the failure of the game.

Rift does have the means.

they allow REX to be tradeable, which allows person A to buy the REX, and then trade it to person B who can use the REX for the shop currency.

the problem is the economy in defiance does not lend itself to massive stockpiles of scrip. due to the salvage/scrip correlation you can actually keep your scrip/salvage in balance at low values buying key codes and T3/T4 boxes.

Rift does not have that. most game economies dont.

honestly, i have like 800+ bits. i spend bits when there is something that i want. i have had those 800+ bits for a while now. there really isnt anything in the store that really makes me want to spend bits on things.

i am not a fan of outfits. im happy with the ones i have right now.

i am not a fan of the vehicles, i prefer my gold/black 800 TW and blue duni ****erro. all bought with scrip. and you cant buy a cerberus vehicle.

boosts are nice, but the dailies and weeklies do not reward enough rep each shot to make a 20-30% boost worth while.

lock boxes are a nice idea, but due to the RNG and how everything is so random and so few actual usable possibilities, its not worth spending the bits for the reward. just being honest.

if they want me to spend bits on the store, there needs to be something worthwhile. and i dont see much worthwhile to me.

Roez
07-17-2014, 08:24 PM
...I have never seen a generation that wants to much for nothing and that has come to expect this or they pout..

ppl complain that now they may not find a certain item in game after playing a few months,

imagine playing a game 6+yrs and not finding the BIS items for your class at all, for any slot..

In fairness, each generation seems to say that sort of thing about the next. My father (who was born in 1917), used to say the same things about mine. When he was younger he used to walk eight miles each way to go to work a ten hour day, and ran a farm too. Now, I used to saw wood with a chain saw often when I was only ten, mowing the lawn with a riding mower alone and for hours on end when I was eight, and worked enough each summer I held my first supervisor position when I was sixteen. In my dad's eyes, I still had it easy and complained too much.

Beyond that, it's a mixed bag with who doesn't want to work for things. Most F2P games have the destitute troop. As long as they don't pay, they will justify nearly any grind. Highschool and college young people probably make the majority. That's not exactly lazy behavior. It's the older people who from my anecdotal experience spend more money, and complain about too much time spent, as much as anyone. It's not just because they have disposable income, perhaps it's the working stress and fast paced life too.

Overall, there is something to be said for cell phones, consoles and all the instant gratification out there. Personally, I love to have to spend time playing to get rewards (they go hand in hand). I totally get the preference and where you come from. I'm just not sure it's a generational thing.

Silmarish
07-18-2014, 07:43 AM

if you are not willing to invest money on the game, then you have to accept that if/when the game fails, you share the responsibility for the failure of the game.

Rift does have the means.

You are completely wrong. In fact, i will tell you again. 95% of mmorpgs out there have this function implemented. And are they losing money?? no. LOL, the opposite. You dont seem to understand how this industry works, there will be always people who will spent real money on the game, thats not a problem and the companies count on it. And as i said, most people who will want this system its because they just want a little boost. Not having money to waste doesnt mean someone needs to avoid completely the adquisition of "premium" items, thats non sense and a really crappy way of thinking for your part.

So, yes people will still buying stuff from the shop, because the way this system works is, you are not going to be able to buy anything in 1 month, 2 or 3 months. The conversion rate will be really low, so in the end, A LOT of people will waste money anyways to have the stuff sooner, and i can asure you there will be A LOT of people in that situation lol. Happens in every online game out there (mostly mmorpgs).

People always forget that F2P only means that the company can be worried only about generating benefits, and they dont need to worry about having the community happy, fixing some important bugs or invest efforts and time on things that will not generate profits or income, a F2P game will always generate far more profits than a sub game. ITs been this way since, ever.

Welcome to the world.

Murzin
07-21-2014, 05:04 PM
so i make a post with the main thrust of it being:

in your infinite wisdom you reply with:

You are completely wrong.

unless of course you failed to comprehend my post and just felt like trolling...

so, then without people buying items in their shop with real money, how can the F2P model work?

last time i checked, the dev team got paid salary, trion was responsible for making a profit, the isp required payment, the server owners required payment ( if they are leased/rented ), the tax man wants his cut, etc.

if there was nobody spending any money in the cash shop, how would Trion make the money to pay for Defiance?

i am listening with rapt attention.