PDA

View Full Version : Installing now. How is the pvp?

Zythor
07-18-2014, 05:18 PM
I am coming from World of Warcraft and rift, and am sick and tired of the ******ed gear progression both games use. If I want to do both single player and PvP content, do I need separate gear sets? Is their fairness present in this game? Thanks in advance.

Deunan
07-18-2014, 05:40 PM
You'll need to use a different kind of loadout for PvP than PvE if you want to be optimal in both. PvE builds are high DPS while PvP builds are often served better by high burst damage loadouts that use single shot weapons like sniper rifles, shotguns, detonators and rocket launchers. That's not to say you can't use a high DPS weapon like an SMG but you'll generally want that high burst damage weapon as the other weapon in your loadout (you only have 2 weapons per loadout).

The PvP in this game is pretty awful on several levels. Anything you can think of that is bad for PvP can probably be found in this game in one degree or another. There are both broken game mechanics and intentional ones that create imbalances that favor a fairly narrow loadout strategy for many if not most players (Cloak, Zagger sawed-off shotgun and sniper rifle). If you have good reflexes and targeting ability you can make due without but it can get frustrating for many players.

Zythor
07-18-2014, 05:50 PM
You'll need to use a different kind of loadout for PvP than PvE if you want to be optimal in both. PvE builds are high DPS while PvP builds are often served better by high burst damage loadouts that use single shot weapons like sniper rifles, shotguns, detonators and rocket launchers. That's not to say you can't use a high DPS weapon like an SMG but you'll generally want that high burst damage weapon as the other weapon in your loadout (you only have 2 weapons per loadout).

The PvP in this game is pretty awful on several levels. Anything you can think of that is bad for PvP can probably be found in this game in one degree or another. There are both broken game mechanics and intentional ones that create imbalances that favor a fairly narrow loadout strategy for many if not most players (Cloak, Zagger sawed-off shotgun and sniper rifle). If you have good reflexes and targeting ability you can make due without but it can get frustrating for many players.

I can deal with certain things being OP. My main issue is being at a supreme disadvantage no matter what, having to suffer through hundreds if not thousands of stupid deaths just to get geared enough that I cant be ganked 1v1.

Deunan
07-18-2014, 06:04 PM
I can deal with certain things being OP. My main issue is being at a supreme disadvantage no matter what, having to suffer through hundreds if not thousands of stupid deaths just to get geared enough that I cant be ganked 1v1.The game has dynamic scaling in PvP that brings you up to the level of the highest player at the event and also scales your gear up (gear in the game is also leveled which increases weapon damage and shield strength). While there is some advantage to be gained by having played long enough to get a good set of Legendary gear, it's not so great that you should be having issues with that.

The ganking comes more from the fact that there are a lot of players in PvP that are using the Zagger/Cloak combination to run around with almost perpetual perfect invisibility. There are ways of dealing with that so you don't get red shirted though.

nathanpbutler
07-18-2014, 06:06 PM
If you mean "fairness" as in "balance," then no. Defiance's PVP was designed in a somewhat unbalanced way early on, with certain weapons being far more effective. With the first DLC came charge weapons like the Surge Bolter, which further unbalanced things. Balancing of weapons in the form of "nerfs" have shifted things from time to time. The addition of threat scaling and weapon power based on level unbalanced things more. Now we have Defiant Few vendor weapons. So, balance-wise, there is no such thing.

On the plus side, you can just have one of your loadouts be for PVP and load up whatever you like from your inventory and perks. In theory, they'll be different for PVP as compared to PVE, but they all come from your total selection of loadout options, rather than being artificially segregated by the game itself.

Zythor
07-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have always known that Shooter type games are always hard to truly balance. (Only Halo ever came close enough).

The biggest issues I have in WoW and Rift is that it takes so long to get to the "OP" point. The Scaling will help with that alot, it seems. I am used to being level 15 getting one shot by a pvp hierloomed level 10.

Punisher Illinois Blue
07-18-2014, 06:20 PM
I am coming from World of Warcraft and rift, and am sick and tired of the ******ed gear progression both games use. If I want to do both single player and PvP content, do I need separate gear sets? Is their fairness present in this game? Thanks in advance.

The pvp is not balanced but I'm used to it because of other games I play.

You don't need two difrent load outs to play pvp and pve. Just ask and I will tell youu my primary loadout that i use for both pvp pve.

Deunan
07-18-2014, 06:23 PM
If you want to see Defiance PvP, Altras is streaming Shadow Wars right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/altraawesome

PTR47
07-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I was an occasional PVPer in WoW (Disc Priest, Bloodlust), and from that end, some notes:
(a) OFC you're going to be underpowered when new;
(b) NO gear comes from PvP -- everything you bring in to PvP will be from PvE;
(c) there isn't a lot of theory or "best" in this game, so nobody can point you in that direction;
(d) there isn't any PUG strategizing going on;
(e) heals don't win battles;
(f) PvP is very much like pure PvP games... 1-3 shot kills;
(g) You don't need separate gear sets... many of my friends use their PvE gear in PvP... but there are some gear pieces that will simply do better in PvP than PvE that are worth holding (e.g. Ironclad Shields, No nano weapons, etc.).

Altras
07-18-2014, 09:22 PM
im currently pvping on my livestream if your still on http://www.twitch.tv/altraawesome

Zythor
07-18-2014, 09:43 PM
im currently pvping on my livestream if your still on http://www.twitch.tv/altraawesome

Yes, I was watching earlier as Bugler18. It was very interesting. I liked the way the vehicle works. Much better than mounts in an rpg.

OrpheusXI
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
You will quit this game because of how bad the servers are. I'm done forever once destiny comes out. I would actually consider playing longer if I didn't get kicked 10+ times a day. Though PC may not be that bad.

Altras
07-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Though PC may not be that bad.

Yah its a lot better on the pc than the consoles from what I read. I rarely get dc'd unless its a server update