PDA

View Full Version : People claiming this game is "dead"

Vulcan46
07-23-2014, 04:40 AM
I have no idea how in the hell they came up with this idea. A good friend and I came back from X1 for Defiance and my god the population has exploded since launch. Not just in the starter area either. It's good to be back and damn did I have a blast last night! Wish I was home playing right now but the money is too damn good being a crane operator lol.;)

Tsort
07-23-2014, 06:44 AM
People have claimed the game was dead for over a year. They were, and still are, wrong.

People have claimed the game was broken for over a year. They were, and still are, right.

Some players are able to find a happy medium there. I used to, but I can't anymore. There are so many other games that aren't necessarily superior, but are at least well maintained and improving. Sadly Defiance isn't. I gave it up.

BIEBERyoloSWAG
07-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Games not dead. Game is boring as hell though. I literally have million upon millions of scrip, a nice selection of weapons, and nothing to do but contracts which is boring as hell since it is the same contracts as last week and the week before. I just do the chimera dailies and then jump from the ground to the vendor to the ground to the vendor out of boredom

Zhedda
07-23-2014, 06:48 AM
They are probably saying that because Defiance currently has no competition, but it is about to get some. Firefall is going live on the 29th, and Destiny is going into beta soon on consoles. Then you have other games that aren't even in the same genre. Once a person leaves a game for something else -- whatever that may be -- it can be hard to get them back. The main thing this game has going for it is the T.V. series. That is what brought me back. It is persistent marketing. If that gets cancelled -- which is likely given that SyFy rarely sticks with a show past the 2nd or 3rd season -- Trion will lose that marketing.

I think the game can survive the competition. It is unique. The bigger issue will be the show. Once it gets cancelled (and it will, eventually), this game will have to rest on its own laurels to pull players in, and to retain them, and those laurels are buggy as heck. If they can't fix the bugs, and they can't add enough content to keep players interested then this game won't survive. Which will be sad, because this is one of the best MMOs I have ever played... when it works.

crazyged
07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Yeah, that's my biggest worry.

I can see the ratings on the show being a bit iffy and really hope this game is not totally dependent on it's survival.

Ultimately, I don't care about the bugs and broken bits - this is my game of the moment and would be severely p@ssed off if it disappeared.

Making lots of friends in this world!

Tallon
07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
I wouldn't say it's dead, but there is some effort going into trying to kill it.

dramaQkarri
07-23-2014, 07:09 AM
Kind of on life support. I myself am about done. 6 weeks.

Dark Killah
07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
They are probably saying that because Defiance currently has no competition, but it is about to get some. Firefall is going live on the 29th, and Destiny is going into beta soon on consoles. Then you have other games that aren't even in the same genre. Once a person leaves a game for something else -- whatever that may be -- it can be hard to get them back. The main thing this game has going for it is the T.V. series. That is what brought me back. It is persistent marketing. If that gets cancelled -- which is likely given that SyFy rarely sticks with a show past the 2nd or 3rd season -- Trion will lose that marketing.

I think the game can survive the competition. It is unique. The bigger issue will be the show. Once it gets cancelled (and it will, eventually), this game will have to rest on its own laurels to pull players in, and to retain them, and those laurels are buggy as heck. If they can't fix the bugs, and they can't add enough content to keep players interested then this game won't survive. Which will be sad, because this is one of the best MMOs I have ever played... when it works.

Once the show goes, they won't have any ideas for any more content, unless you define breaking even more stuff and new nerfs as 'new gameplay content'

BJWyler
07-23-2014, 07:51 AM
People have claimed the game was dead for over a year. They were, and still are, wrong.

People have claimed the game was broken for over a year. They were, and still are, right.

Some players are able to find a happy medium there. I used to, but I can't anymore. There are so many other games that aren't necessarily superior, but are at least well maintained and improving. Sadly Defiance isn't. I gave it up.

^ This. The game isn't dead and I for one still see a lot of people running around doing ... something. However, some of the design decisions and implementation of such have been so poorly done that it drove a lot of the "veterans" and biggest supporters away from the game permanently. That certainly has not helped matters. Is the game going to shut down any time "soon"(TM)? No it is not, but it can be in a far more healthier position than it is now.

Truth be told, you can go to every forum for every game in existence and find a portion of the forum-trolls claiming said game is dead. That's SOP for the business and only in very rare circumstances are the trolls actually correct.

I do have to disagree with something Zhedda said, however. Sure there are always a portion of a game's playerbase that will leave to the new and shiny and never come back, but as WoW (and many other recent games show), the gaming community has shown a propensity for not leaving a game no matter how much they ***** and complain about it. Thanks to the rising popularity of more business models, it is now easier than ever to actually play more than one game at a time and that's pretty much what a lot of gamers are doing nowadays.

Dark Killah
07-23-2014, 07:56 AM
The biggest problem this game has is the lack of Devs actually working 'permanently' on it since Trion got rid of most of the 'Original' Defiance team.

Ruinne
07-23-2014, 07:58 AM
The biggest problem this game has is the lack of Devs actually working 'permanently' on it since Trion got rid of most of the 'Original' Defiance team.

That's what I was thinking.

It's not the servers that are empty.

It's the offices.

Zhedda
07-23-2014, 08:45 AM
I do have to disagree with something Zhedda said, however. Sure there are always a portion of a game's playerbase that will leave to the new and shiny and never come back, but as WoW (and many other recent games show), the gaming community has shown a propensity for not leaving a game no matter how much they ***** and complain about it. Thanks to the rising popularity of more business models, it is now easier than ever to actually play more than one game at a time and that's pretty much what a lot of gamers are doing nowadays.

WOWs is the exception, not the rule. WOW had the rare fortune to be at the right place, at the right time, and deliver a well-crafted game (at least up to LK). The odds of that happening again are slim. Also, love it or hate it WOW is the most polished MMO on the market. It has tons of content, and very few bugs. Defiance has comparitively little content, and lots of bugs. It is not a compelling business model in today's MMO landscape. They can do better, and they will have to do better if they intend to compete long term.

Otherwise, some other studio could come along with another game that offers a similar experience with more content and more polish. If that happens, Defiance will be obliterated. Seen it where I work. As a software company, you cannot become complacent. You may have no competition today, but that can change very, very quickly. When it does, you can lose market share to the competitor if they have a superior product. It's simple business.

JadedSinn
07-23-2014, 10:58 AM
defiance aint dead yet and if it can servive whats being released this year it should be ok . unless next years release of division becomes something biger then it is.

my personaly feeling is that Division when its released my be the game changer in the gameing world and might kill defiance. if thy dont fix whats allready needing to be fixed by then.

if u dont know what division is. heres a trailer of the game play the release date has been bumped to 2015 still unknown when. but it looks good. i fear for my beloved defiance. if thy dont fix her fast she may get out done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OIuVdurUQ#t=233

game play starts at 3:45

Copperpot
07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
defiance aint dead yet and if it can servive whats being released this year it should be ok . unless next years release of division becomes something biger then it is.

my personaly feeling is that Division when its released my be the game changer in the gameing world and might kill defiance. if thy dont fix whats allready needing to be fixed by then.

if u dont know what division is. heres a trailer of the game play the release date has been bumped to 2015 still unknown when. but it looks good. i fear for my beloved defiance. if thy dont fix her fast she may get out done

Yes Division looks awesome, but that's a long way off apparently. So plenty of time to get bored with this game lol. I'm still having fun but I'm only EGO 4800 right now. We'll see how I feel when I'm 5000+.

Cavadus
07-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Population wise this is the probably the best it's ever been. It's also really helped that this season of the show is substantially better than last. I've definitely noticed a trend with the latest 47th applicants that leads me to believe that season two is having a nice effect on the game.

BJWyler
07-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Population wise this is the probably the best it's ever been. It's also really helped that this season of the show is substantially better than last. I've definitely noticed a trend with the latest 47th applicants that leads me to believe that season two is having a nice effect on the game.

That and free to play - I've seen a lot of new recruits popping up in UL as well. It's like we said last year - it will take a good couple of seasons for the show to really stand on its own. While I am not liking some of the character development that has gone on this season, the first 5 episodes have been stronger overall than what we had last season, and will most certainly attract more to the fold.

Heartlight
07-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Thanks so much for posting this!

Triskaideka
07-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Last night I was listening to a podcast interviewing some devs from another game, and they said the standard practice is to contract devs for a certain amount of time (2 years or launch). And when the game is launched, the majority is discharged save for about 20 to maintain the game.

With a premise like Defiance, 20 devs just isn't enough and it shows. I'm glad there are more tie-ins between the game and the show. They just need to develop more content and release them consistently for when the show isn't on.

Burned In Effigy
07-23-2014, 11:49 AM
there are games that I bought a year ago i still haven't played because of defiance. I just barely beat GTA 5 and I'm still currently in the middle of blacklist. I don't think even with the current problems im never gonna stop playing this game. It does suck though because I can not get into any co op maps just one in a last week.

JadedSinn
07-23-2014, 07:39 PM
i have no games worth playing in my libary spawning from free to play game sites all the way down to bought games. litterly. have played everything i own can own or want to own. and beat them all to some exstent. and dont plan on playing any of them agine. even left a few in mid game never to pick them up agine.

defiance right now is litterly. the only game i own. and play. becuse theres nothing left for me to get that i want to play or care to play.

maybe its the defi fan in me. maybe its that im just a hard core lay about that dosent care how bad every one else thinks a game is. but. if defiance died at the end of this season for season 2 . it would be hard for me to find a new game. then agine. something my pc can handel might appear some time. so who knows.

but for the time being on topic. even with all its flaws. even with all its bugs. glitches. errors. lack of communication between players and higher up devs, lose of players gain of noobs. and the vanishing vet population. this game is far from dead. and has a few years left in it befor it is. hopefully in that time we will see a higher boost in content then we do now. and the game world exspand to include more maps then the one we are geting released sometime mid season this season. i know id like to see my self in the " defiance " city. at some point and maybe go exsploring inside that gulinite mine. thy have. hell just make that mine a map all its own. after all old saint luis is down there in it .

Escyos
07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
In my opinion the game was never "dead". Go to an arkfall or incursion at certain times and you see the same amount of people as there has always been. People expected to see crowds of players roaming the country side and groups congregating at FT points at all hours of the day (not realizing that people sleep at some point).

Bonehead
07-24-2014, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c

taco man 67
07-24-2014, 05:04 AM
we all started playing defiance 4 the game. we stay 4 the community. love em or hate em its what keeps me putting the game in on a regular basis.

the worst bugs I can remember isn't the 1's talked about the most (and there are plenty to choose from). this bug affected interaction with other players. it was many many months ago, and lasted 5-7 days. you couldn't trade, jump to, or group up with any other player in the game. if it had continued much longer I think that would have been the end of the game then and there.

we don't come back to the game day after day 4 the gameplay. that got old long ago. the only thing that could truly kill the game.

is a game with better gameplay and a similar interaction with other players, or the devs removing any want or need to seek out other players.

the devs seem very interested in removing the horse trade aspect of the game(upgrading guns and shields to orange was a very bad idea). what they don't seem to understand is its how many of us have come to be friends. we meet we buy, sell, trade. we friend up.

if this had been a single, or even a 4 player co-op I would have played 4 about 2 weeks and dropped it.

p.s. I like cheese

Perchta
07-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Defiance at least from the times that I play (during the day) is far from dead.

During those same hours if I log into Elder Scrolls Online it appears to be all but dead already. Only place to ever find anyone is at a bank or blacksmiths. And even then in most towns those areas are dead as well. ESO is only about 6 months old.

Kobalobasileus
07-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but I like it when I'm able to "finish" all the content in a game and move on to another one. Complaining that there is "nothing to do" when you've already done a bunch of stuff is mindboggling.

Liquidacid
07-24-2014, 12:49 PM
meh it's an online game so it's only normal to have someone yelling "The game is dying/dead" from the second the servers open till they day they close regardless what's happening on the servers in reality... hell sometimes they even start yelling it in alpha or beta

Kanah
07-24-2014, 01:28 PM
meh it's an online game so it's only normal to have someone yelling "The game is dying/dead" from the second the servers open till they day they close regardless what's happening on the servers in reality... hell sometimes they even start yelling it in alpha or beta

It's usually something they say to add weight to their point of view, often accompanied with some gripe about a nerf or feature change. There ought to be a name for when someone tries this cheap tactic; like how we say someone has godwin'd a thread and snort at them with derision. Something like GIDwin (gettit? ;))