PDA

View Full Version : When should I buy the orange blade?

Lord Marshal
07-26-2014, 12:17 PM
I am currently sitting at 980 ER and while I have enough to buy the blade, I really want it to last me.
Is there a buying strategy for upgrading from the green con blade I got from the missions or should I just wait until I need to buy the orange one?

I have 886 points right now.

Thanks

PiccolaRivolta
07-26-2014, 12:32 PM
I would say at Ego 5000+ but since you're nearly 1000 it will take long to reach 5000 and get a high damage sword.

You better buy one now at that rating and play a few hours with it, then you'll get bored and tired of it. Trust me.

It takes 4-5 hours to get 750 rep. Patron Pass and clan boosts should shorten the time... So you can get another when you are higher ego without wasting AF to upgrade its rating.

Good luck.

Xaat Xuun
07-26-2014, 12:41 PM
thing to remember is, can you afford the Arkforge to maintain Rating level.
The again, you can just buy a New one if you keep up the Rep points available for a new one

So anytime is good
to me the melee weapons felt weak pre-2000, then again every thing did. I'm only saying that because I have a 8xx, 18xx, & 43xx characters that use them, and when I have done same missions or arenas with melee, only the 43xx has no problems, the 18xx just takes a few more swings, but that 8xx, I feel like I'm using as melee weapon made of Q-Tips (http://www.qtips.com/Images/526/526-115050-prod-bby-170ct-140x140.png)
I feel the perks for melee are very much appreciated, thanks to the help I received from here "what would be a good Melee Loadout (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?167007-what-would-be-a-good-Melee-Loadout)"

good luck with your choice, and have fun

ETA: ahh I'm too slow, PiccolaRivolta beat me to first reply

Belle Starr
07-26-2014, 01:03 PM
I had received my Thorn Liro sword so long ago that I later found it cheaper to buy a new one then to raise its rating level to my new ego level. I've done this a couple of times. :)

I will tell you that many players find the swords to be lots of fun! At 5500+ ego level I still find it fun on some days to just load the sword and do the contracts with only that weapon. When I was doing the duel pursuit awhile back, I would often challenge clan mates to no ego power sword duels and they were lots of fun. I even see some people fighting in PVP with only blur and a sword, and they do quite good - well, compared to me who is lousy at PVP! :o

I guess what I'm saying is, if you think you'll have fun using a sword in Defiance, get it! You can always get a new one that matches your new Ego level later! There really isn't much else to spend your Thorn Liro rep on anyway :p

Lord Marshal
07-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Right now the only thing that is dampening my enjoyment of a little of the old ultra-violence with the blade is the screen movement gives me an eye ache after a while.

I am working on which perks to put into a load out. I want more than I can load.

Lord Marshal
07-28-2014, 03:05 PM
I have a question. I looked in the melee build loadout thread and saw that they have Juggernaut. I have Detatchment right now. Do they stack? Will I get a lot of armor from a melee kill? Will I need it?

Is there any other that I need to be on the lookout for that don't work together?

duction
07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
never!...,,,

Deunan
07-28-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a question. I looked in the melee build loadout thread and saw that they have Juggernaut. I have Detatchment right now. Do they stack?Ablative Armor effects don't stack.

JadedSinn
07-28-2014, 04:52 PM
buy your sword whenever u want. and just randomly do the areans agine from time to time to regain the rep u spentand buy a new one ever 1500 ego levels i guess.

iv found no point in the sword much anymore. the one i have is 2k egos lower then me becuse i havent gotten around to scrap it. the only mod it has is for the blade color and that is sold in the bit store a place i odnt touch. the damage on it is better at higher ego level so its normaly advised to get it when ur higher ego lvl. but hjay do whateves. get it now play with it now and enjoy it now and then throw it away when the novelty wears off.

Lord Marshal
07-28-2014, 06:47 PM
What about the ego recharge perks. If one says do damage and the other says when you get a kills, do they stack?

Monkerlotus
07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Thorn liro rep is very easy to build up, especially in the higher ego levels like 3,000+. Just buy and enjoy the sword, It'll deal enough dmg for quite a while, by the time it is under performing, you'll be able to slap the arenas apart blindfolded and can easily get another. :o

Xaat Xuun
07-28-2014, 07:23 PM
What about the ego recharge perks. If one says do damage and the other says when you get a kills, do they stack?
I don't use the ego recharge perks, but that's my choice . .. I never felt they helped me that much, or at least never noticed that they had
I'm still testing what works best for me, I really miss using something like ACT (http://advancedcombattracker.com/) to optimize my builds. So much easier to track my dps and see what helps or does not help.
I need to do a serious peek-see what I have . .:o , , haven't been keeping track to any changes I've done, but I think I just recently swapped Detachment for Juggernaut, At ego42xx I only have troubles in TL 10, TL9 I'm pretty much boarder line, but TL 10 I'm a feeling a little weak , I feel Melee works out great in the Grid Arkbreaks, the doggies are no problem as long as your at their side hitting their crit spot.

I still find it weird and out of control using Blades, still my favorite is the Amakuni

Deunan
07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
What about the ego recharge perks. If one says do damage and the other says when you get a kills, do they stack?Yes they stack but Blood Lust has a 3 second cool down time. There are two recharge perks for kills, one for kills in general and one for melee kills. They all stack.

Wraither
07-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Never.

It's stats are not that much better than blue one and costs a lot to keep it upgraded - unless you are 5k EGO i guess, then it is time to buy it

Xaat Xuun
07-28-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm going to give this a try test melee - Loadout on Defiance Data (http://www.defiancedata.com/loadouts.php?n=test%20melee&pwt=15&pwm=194&swt=14&swm=169&p=84&sh=8&g=7&sp=2&st=5&p1=38&p2=72&p3=61&p4=5&p5=23&p6=37&p7=75&p8=88&p9=7)
I didn't realize it, but my melee build was all defense, never paid much attention, no wonder I could stand in the middle and barely do damage, and not lose much shield

I've been running with a Hurricane Regenerator so haven't really know how much difference it'll be, this 7th shield (forgot the name) gives a +50% melee damage for 10 secs, other then that, it's about same as the hurricane.
so will give this loadout a try, next time I log in my main, I think I forgot to swap something
but at the same time it's tough for me to remove survivability perks . . :o

Darien
07-28-2014, 09:57 PM
When should I buy the orange blade?

How soon do you want to get killed?

Swords are bad. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them to show their sword to a Volge Viscera (or any enemy which is larger than they are) and to report their results.

Terrato137
07-28-2014, 10:03 PM

Swords are bad. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them to show their sword to a Volge Viscera (or any enemy which is larger than they are) and to report their results.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/challenge-accepted-original.jpg

Darien
07-30-2014, 11:29 AM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/challenge-accepted-original.jpg

So what happened?

PTR47
07-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Swords are awesome. I use them all the time against Mutants, Raiders, and 99ers. They suck on Dark Matter, Hellbugs, Scrappers, Infected, and Volge.

I have also finished "Sutro Tower" and "Danger at Diablo" using only a blade, just for funsies.

Bentu
07-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Go ahead and buy it but don't us arc forge to upgrade it. Just keep doing the thorn weekly/dailies to get rep to replace it.

BIEBERyoloSWAG
07-30-2014, 02:23 PM
just use a blue. I did forever and then got an orange and noticed no difference

Belle Starr
07-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Actually I've killed a Viscera and a Hulker with a sword (not at the same time, silly)... of course, it probably was a good thing I also had several clan mates shooting them a lot at the same time and that I have good shields and a high EGO (5500+) :)

Seriously, I find my sword fun going after things like afflicted or raiders, and the latter don't seem to be able to shoot if you are hitting them with a sword. I also find the sword fun when I just want to do something different than the norm, like an arena or even a coop with just the sword (just have a group that understands for the latter, or they get mad, trust me!) :D

Darien
07-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Actually I've killed a Viscera and a Hulker with a sword (not at the same time, silly)... of course, it probably was a good thing I also had several clan mates shooting them a lot at the same time and that I have good shields and a high EGO (5500+) :)

Flailing ineffectually while other people shoot it in the face for you is not the same as killing it. I have swung a sword at Warmaster until he died. That does not mean that I killed him.

Belle Starr
07-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Flailing ineffectually while other people shoot it in the face for you is not the same as killing it. I have swung a sword at Warmaster until he died. That does not mean that I killed him.

Well, that was insulting! I know I did a great deal of damage because each time I hit I saw the damage I did. I have also killed a Volge trooper and bomber with the sword with no one else around. If you swung a sword at a Warmaster, you are indeed foolish! Just because you might not be able to kill anything with a sword does not give you a reason to be snide to those who can and who enjoy it :mad:

Darien
07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Just because you might not be able to kill anything with a sword does not give you a reason to be snide to those who can and who enjoy it :mad:

I can kill anything with sword (Except targets that it is impossible to hit). That does not make it a good weapon. Anything you can kill with a sword, I can kill faster and more safely using another weapon. Using my Needler, I will kill most enemies before you even get into melee range.

There are too many drawbacks. Viscera, Hulkers, Tankers, Bulwarks, and, to a lesser extent, enemies like Hellbug Warriors or Volge Bombers will wreck you if you stand directly in their melee range when they are Threat Level 10. You have no nano effects or mods available. You cannot master the sword or get skill increases with it. If anything is not on the same Z-axis as your character, you cannot attack it. You cannot use most grenades, because they will also hit you.

I never said that you could not enjoy using the sword. You just had better also enjoy being ineffective and getting killed.

I have also killed a Volge trooper and bomber with the sword with no one else around.

You killed a threat level 6 as a 5500+ EGO character. Good job. We are all super proud. You could have done that using the single shot pistol that you get when you unequip all weapons.

Belle Starr
07-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Boy, you are about as rude as they get! Yes there are lots of weapons easier than the sword to kill things with, but fulfill a contract with a sword or kill a major opponent with just a sword, or do PVP with just a sword (not my cup of tea but I respect those who can), that is a challenge. If you don't want a challenge and just want an efficient and fast killing machine from a distance, there are plenty of excellent sniper weapons out there that kill with one shot. And don't assume I killed those targets recently - you know what they say about assume :)

To the question asker, buy an orange blade when you want a change of pace and a challenge :D

Darien
07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
And don't assume I killed those targets recently - you know what they say about assume :)

TL6 is harder than the default enemies used to be. I was trying to give you a little bit a credit, but that appears to not be warranted.

If you have not fought anything with a sword since before threat levels existed, you really have no business arguing that they are good weapons.

PTR47
07-30-2014, 08:59 PM
99ers, raiders, the blade is a superior choice due to CC. Running dailies, I'll normally do docks, bolinas, whatever on T6 with a spanner or detonator. If it goes to T10, I switch to my blade loadout because it is a better option (provided I keep an eye on my shield and I don't change targets because they're too close together -- which can happen). But even Bolinas on T10 I'll very rarely need to extract. The difference is the knockback. You can mow down a T10 Blacklung in about 10s because they don't fight back. Monitors you can't stun, which is why the blade fails on DM.

You are welcome to not like blades, but they're good in the right circumstances; much more efficient than my Pulser.

Darien
07-30-2014, 10:01 PM
99ers, raiders, the blade is a superior choice due to CC. Running dailies, I'll normally do docks, bolinas, whatever on T6 with a spanner or detonator. If it goes to T10, I switch to my blade loadout because it is a better option (provided I keep an eye on my shield and I don't change targets because they're too close together -- which can happen). But even Bolinas on T10 I'll very rarely need to extract. The difference is the knockback. You can mow down a T10 Blacklung in about 10s because they don't fight back. Monitors you can't stun, which is why the blade fails on DM.

You are welcome to not like blades, but they're good in the right circumstances; much more efficient than my Pulser.

Some rough testing leads me to believe that the fire rate (swing speed?) for a charge blade is about 2.0 and the crit rate is 1.0x (Read: Crits do no extra damage). My 5841 rating Charge Blade does 18046 dmg. That is 36092 DPS.

My Needler has a fire rate of 31.2, magazine of 90, reload of 1, crit of 1.6, and does 2256 dmg. Using the Dux DPS spreadsheet, my Needler does 70,387 DPS (No Reload), 112,620 Crit DPS (No Reload, 100% crit), 52,268 Advanced DPS (Factoring Reload, 0% crit), 83,628 Advanced Crit DPS (Reload, 100% crit).

Sorry, even in the worst case scenario, my Needler absolutely destroys the Charge Blade, and that is not factoring in the time it takes for you to close on the target or the Radiation Nano effect that lets me ignore 4 armor plates. I do not own a VOT Pulser of similar rating, but the math on a Castithan Springer (Pulser Variant) was pretty close to a Needler.

PTR47
07-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Yes, but you're dodging. I'm not.

If my rad-modded pulser was more efficient, trust me. I'd use it.

Darien
07-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Yes, but you're dodging. I'm not.

If my rad-modded pulser was more efficient, trust me. I'd use it.

I have no idea what your dodging comment is supposed to mean.

Give me the numbers for your Pulser and Sword. I will tell you their dps.

Darien
07-30-2014, 10:32 PM
I just got a purple VOT Pulser. With mods, has higher dps than the sword, despite being only purple. My sword is orange. Your numbers will be different, but the ratios should be the same.

PTR47
07-30-2014, 10:39 PM
There's other mechanics besides raw dps. If I was standing stationary and shooting at a target, ya, there's better options than the charge blade. I don't disagree with that at all and I need no math to say you are correct. But in the case of the Blacklung, he's spitting out grenades that (hopefully) you try to avoid. With intimidation, I work through him in a third to a half the time I would with my Pulser, because I have to watch the exclamation points (probably 6 on T10) and get out of the way with the SMG.

The point is not the raw damage, it's the CC/flinch that the blade does.

Darien
07-30-2014, 10:45 PM
There's other mechanics besides raw dps. If I was standing stationary and shooting at a target, ya, there's better options than the charge blade. I don't disagree with that at all and I need no math to say you are correct. But in the case of the Blacklung, he's spitting out grenades that (hopefully) you try to avoid. With intimidation, I work through him in a third to a half the time I would with my Pulser, because I have to watch the exclamation points (probably 6 on T10) and get out of the way with the SMG.

The point is not the damage, it's the CC/flinch that the blade does.

All you have to do is strafe out of the grenade range. The nice part about SMGs is that you do not have to aim to fire the good ones. You sound like you are using your Pulser incorrectly.

PTR47
07-30-2014, 10:47 PM
All you have to do is strafe out of the grenade range. The nice part about SMGs is that you do not have to aim to fire the good ones. You sound like you are using your Pulser incorrectly.

LOL.

Sounds like you are using charge blades incorrectly.

Darien
07-30-2014, 11:08 PM
LOL.

Sounds like you are using charge blades incorrectly.

Ah, the response the proves that you lost the argument.

PTR47
07-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Ah, the response the proves that you lost the argument.

You're trolling now.

For the record, I don't care about "winning arguments". I care about the truth. I care about fact. If I'm wrong? Cool! Let me know.

Darien
07-30-2014, 11:14 PM
You're trolling now.

If you say so. "LOL" is not an argument. You cannot use a charge blade wrong unless you try to do the power swing, but you did not even make that point. You made "LOL".

PTR47
07-30-2014, 11:18 PM
If you say so. "LOL" is not an argument. You cannot use a charge blade wrong unless you try to do the power swing, but you did not even make that point. You made "LOL".

No, I know perfectly well how to use an SMG. I have been using it as my main for just under a year. Your suggestion that I do not know how to use one is utter nonsense. That was the LOL. It was a response to a ridiculous idea.

Make a load-out built for melee and give it another try. There's some great melee perks to accompany the charge blade that makes it really useful (and fun).

DrTogobban
09-02-2014, 08:30 AM
I am currently sitting at 980 ER and while I have enough to buy the blade, I really want it to last me.
Is there a buying strategy for upgrading from the green con blade I got from the missions or should I just wait until I need to buy the orange one?

I have 886 points right now.

Thanks

Ugh. Right now I'm sitting at 3k, I have enough to buy the orange thorn liro, and I'm 80% of the way to getting the one from The Arktech Revolution pursuit - the snakes bite II.

Slightly peeved that I will end up forced to get the reward one and then have to spend arkforge to upgrade it, instead of using it on other items. Glad I at least have the choice to hold off on purchasing the thorn liro one. I'm almost certainly going to get the reward by the end of the week, and I haven't even done a single expert dungeon - all of the mobs for it show up during incursions or during the daily conflict sites

Xaat Xuun
09-02-2014, 01:10 PM
but Thorn Liro rep is so easy to acquire , so replacing charged blades without the use of AF is easy . . now if your like me, and prefer the appearance of the Amakuni . . then we suffer with the need of AF to keep a Legendary updated .. them Orange Amakuni's don't drop that often

(forgot the name of the legendary Thorn Liro blade)

also seems to me the Chimera Fang is just a renamed Thorn Liro kind of blade, only seen pics of it, and that's all I see

Mushbeeguy
09-02-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm with the above poster. Heck there isn't a heck of a lot Thorn Liro rep is good for so why not just get one now and then again after 5k?

DrTogobban
09-02-2014, 01:19 PM
but Thorn Liro rep is so easy to acquire , so replacing charged blades without the use of AF is easy . . now if your like me, and prefer the appearance of the Amakuni . . then we suffer with the need of AF to keep a Legendary updated .. them Orange Amakuni's don't drop that often

(forgot the name of the legendary Thorn Liro blade)

also seems to me the Chimera Fang is just a renamed Thorn Liro kind of blade, only seen pics of it, and that's all I see

It's the principle of the thing for me, why should I have to keep spending on something that was supposed to be a reward? What if I don't have Castithan Charge?

Xaat Xuun
09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
It's the principle of the thing for me, why should I have to keep spending on something that was supposed to be a reward? What if I don't have Castithan Charge?
totally understand, I feel the same way
was just pointing out, if one is not concern with a named blade that's other then a Thorn Liro Blade, there really is no issue in keeping a Legendary blade at or near one's character level, with just Thorn Liro Rep farming

DrTogobban
09-02-2014, 01:38 PM
agreed. the difference is merely cosmetic, as I'm told there are color differences as well in the two