PDA

View Full Version : Defiance (show) cancelled...probably.

squidgod2000
07-28-2014, 08:14 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/26/defiance-season-2_n_5614957.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

Some tidbits and spoilers about the remainder of the season, but this is the key paragraph:

One final note on "Defiance": The airing pattern for the end of the season has been altered and Syfy will air two episodes per night at the end of the season. Look for Episodes 10 and 11 of Season 2 on Aug. 21, and Episode 12 and the season finale on Aug. 28.

Dumping episodes not unusual for SyFy when they've decided not to renew a show in the middle of a current season. (Caprica, for example)

Here are the ratings so far (http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/defiance-season-two-ratings-32932/): (formatting sucks, check the link)

Air date | Episode | 18-49 demo | % demo change | Viewers (mil) | % mil change

Thurs | 6/19/2014 | 02-01 | 0.61 | -39.00%† | 2.010 | -26.29%†

Thurs | 6/26/2014 | 02-02 | 0.41 | -32.79% | 1.427 | -29.00%

Thurs | 7/3/2014 | 02-03 | 0.39 | -4.88% | 1.492 | 4.56%

Thurs | 7/10/2014 | 02-04 | 0.50 | 28.21% | 1.646 | 10.32%

Thurs | 7/17/2014 | 02-05 | 0.50 | 0.00% | 1.639 | -0.43%

Thurs | 7/24/2014 | 02-06 | 0.50 | 0.00% | 1.610 | -1.77%

The first season averaged 2.09 million viewers with 0.7 in the only demographic anyone cares about (18-49). This season averages 1.64 million viewers with 0.49 in the 18-49 demo.

Declining viewership + increased production costs = bye bye Defiance.

superstorm
07-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Syfy scheduled last episodes into blocks far far ago. That is because Dominion has only 8 episodes this season, and they also don't want to dive into fall.
Defiance is a highest rated Syfy show currently on air. It will not be canceled now.

P.S. Nice gifs, Markham!

alred
07-28-2014, 10:24 AM
I think the second season is stronger then the first. I don't think it'll be going anywhere just yet.
From what I read SYFY is being proactive about the sports season. You have Baseball winding down, Football ramping up. So instead of pulling a main network "Let's put the show on hiatus for 6 weeks, then cancel it because the viewers don't return [Fox and Firefly, the bastards]. SYFY is going to "condense" it's schedule and run all the shows in a shorter season.
Which is fine by me, as I will forget the show until just before season 3. Then I'll hit Netflix and Binge watch season 2.

Cavadus
07-28-2014, 10:33 AM
I'd be very surprised if SyFy canceled it now. It's their best rated show currently airing, season two has been getting very good reviews from the critics, and this season's crossover content is leaps and bounds better than last's.

If anything I think Defiance has grown it's beard and is ready to go.

Scapes
07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Some tidbits and spoilers about the remainder of the season, but this is the key paragraph:

Dumping episodes not unusual for SyFy when they've decided not to renew a show in the middle of a current season. (Caprica, for example)

Actually, the schedule for the last four episodes is due to Syfy avoiding overlap with football season.

Mushbeeguy
07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Actually, the schedule for the last four episodes is due to Syfy avoiding overlap with football season.

That makes sense. I remember how many new Simpsons would get cut off by FOX every year because of a post game show. Aggravating!

alred
07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I'd be very surprised if SyFy canceled it now. It's their best rated show currently airing, season two has been getting very good reviews from the critics, and this season's crossover content is leaps and bounds better than last's.

If anything I think Defiance has grown it's beard and is ready to go.

Agreed. Plus after reading the spoilers for the remaining shows, BAM, it'll be interesting.

alred
07-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up.. and no, I aint butt kissing...

Bummer there wasn't a thumbs up feature.

N3gativeCr33p
07-28-2014, 10:39 AM

What a wise group of people they have over there at SyFy!

R69L
07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

I made a post Saturday about this and was wondering how this is gonna affect the in-game loot codes and the crossover content?

Cavadus
07-28-2014, 10:53 AM
That's kind of a bummer that the episodes will be stacked two-by-two like that. Less season 2 EGO codes :(

Also, how will this affect the crossover content? I would imagine y'all plan to save the best for last, right?

Kyosji
07-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Is it me, or does the Huffington Post tend to post things wildly out of context? I actually originally thought it was a joke news site like the Onion for the longest time because half of what I read off of it seemed made up.

fighterpilot04
07-28-2014, 11:07 AM
i dont know about cancellation, but i am curious about this:

Kevin Murphy (Defiance executive producer/showrunner) further detailed the arc for Defiance Seasons 2 through 4, a trajectory which will see the story expand outwards and upward:

Whatís happening [in Season 2] is setting up the situation thatís the last month. Because weíve just put to bed the finale and its setting up the stage for what [Season 3] is going to be about, much like this season, you know, and occupied.

Like Season 1 was about a wild and wooly, rural free sheriff driven frontier town, Season 2 was about a town that is under occupation dealing with what does it mean to be free and what does it mean to work within a larger context of society as we look at the rest of the world or the rest of North America.

Season 3 is going to be more about global, and itís going to be more about dealing with the role of theology and government is going to be Season 3. And Season 4 is when we go back into space.

Originally posted: http://seriable.com/defiance-seasons-3-4-planned-story-details-revealed/#ixzz38mtVPZAw

If the show makes it to a 3rd and 4th season, will the game follow suit and expand globally, and then universally, to follow the story line? Will the game make it as long as the show?

squidgod2000
07-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Yep, that does make sense... More sense than playing football on Thursdays, at least.

Kyosji
07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
I think the real question here is this: Will I have to buy a DLC pack for each season of the show? Would kinda stink to pay $40-$50 a year just to get expansions that extend out for future seasons.

Quebra Regra
07-28-2014, 11:10 AM

waz foozballz?

Scapes
07-28-2014, 11:11 AM
That's kind of a bummer that the episodes will be stacked two-by-two like that. Less season 2 EGO codes :(

Also, how will this affect the crossover content? I would imagine y'all plan to save the best for last, right?

We'll have EGO codes for each episode, not to worry. As for our crossover content, we'll be timing it to match the stacked schedule.

squidgod2000
07-28-2014, 11:12 AM
If the show makes it to a 3rd and 4th season, will the game follow suit and expand globally, and then universally, to follow the story line? Will the game make it as long as the show?

There was some Season 1 crossover in regard to the mag-lev that gets mentioned on the show and Ara Shondu. I always assumed that Trion would use the mag-lev as a fast travel option to add new, far-flung areas instead of building out incrementally from the Bay Area with direct terrain links.

So yes, it's very possible that we'll see new (small) land areas around North America at some point, though the whole space travel bit is exceedingly unlikely.

Scapes
07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
I think the real question here is this: Will I have to buy a DLC pack for each season of the show? Would kinda stink to pay $40-$50 a year just to get expansions that extend out for future seasons.

We don't have plans for additional DLC packs at this time.

Cavadus
07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Is it me, or does the Huffington Post tend to post things wildly out of context? I actually originally thought it was a joke news site like the Onion for the longest time because half of what I read off of it seemed made up.

Well, HuffPo started out as a left wing nutjob news commentary website. It's slowly tried to move over towards covering "straight news" but it's heavily liberally biased throughout. I don't consider it a legitimate news source anymore than, say, Mother Jones or Sean Hannity or The Blaze.

It's a virtual rag, so to speak, and I implore all to disregard it as a legitimate news source. There are much better media outlets for real news.

@ Scapes:
Sounds good, thanks for answering!

Scapes
07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
waz foozballz?

An archaic sports competition from Earth-that-was which involved armored players throwing and catching a "pigskin" over a set number of yards to score points.

Unless you meant foosball, the sport of kings.

Kyosji
07-28-2014, 11:15 AM
We don't have plans for additional DLC packs at this time.

@Scapes but will the Season Pass I already purchased be applied to any future DLC that may come out, or will Trion ask us to purchase additional season passes for any future DLC releases?

DeadEye68
07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
An archaic sports competition from Earth-that-was which involved armored players throwing and catching a "pigskin" over a set number of yards to score points.

You forgot the "bumping into each other" part.

Cavadus
07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
@Scapes but will the Season Pass I already purchased be applied to any future DLC that may come out, or will Trion ask us to purchase additional season passes for any future DLC releases?

The season one pass only applies to the five DLC released prior to season two. Trick and others have stated, unequivocally, that the DLC model is no longer applicable to the F2P model. According to "The Plan" there won't be anymore DLC.

hardy83
07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
It would be nice to get official clarification on the weekly ego code thing.

Will it be...
A: 1 code: 1 reward per week.
B: 1 code: 2 rewards per week.
C: 2 codes: 2 rewards per week.

Kyosji
07-28-2014, 11:26 AM
The season one pass only applies to the five DLC released prior to season two. Trick and others have stated, unequivocally, that the DLC model is no longer applicable to the F2P model. According to "The Plan" there won't be anymore DLC.

Does this mean we will not have anymore of the map to explore? Will we ever have access to Silicon Valley? These are important questions since I just paid for the DLC in hopes of it.

N3gativeCr33p
07-28-2014, 11:27 AM

I wouldn't worry... they can just mail it in and reward us with another Powertech lockbox.

Loot code: POWERTECH

Festival
07-28-2014, 11:28 AM

You're thinking of handegg (or pointyball, if you prefer). Real football is played with feet. =P

hardy83
07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Does this mean we will not have anymore of the map to explore? Will we ever have access to Silicon Valley? These are important questions since I just paid for the DLC in hopes of it.

All future content updates, including map expansions will be free. The season pass you bought was for last yer.
I included 5 dlcs.
It will not apply to any future updates as, like I said, they will be free updates.

Silicon valley is suppose to come out
..sometime lol.
When it does release you will have access to it yes.

Scapes
07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
It would be nice to get official clarification on the weekly ego code thing.

Will it be...
A: 1 code: 1 reward per week.
B: 1 code: 2 rewards per week.

R69L
07-28-2014, 12:04 PM

So Silicon Valley will be about a wekk early? Also with the crossover will one be activated Mondays then anther Wens or Thursdays? Or both at the same time.

Jasper Townsend
07-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I recall Silicon Valley was slated to open "after the 5th episode." I guess I led myself to believe that meant closely following rather than any old time after.

N3gativeCr33p
07-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Mr. Scapes just said: "Silicon Valley is still a few weeks out and will be on the PTS before it's released".

Bonehead
07-28-2014, 12:34 PM

I love football season.

Defiance too pretty much.

Bonehead
07-28-2014, 12:34 PM
I recall Silicon Valley was slated to open "after the 5th episode." I guess I led myself to believe that meant closely following rather than any old time after.

Wellllll, live and learn...

Bonehead
07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Yep, that does make sense... More sense than playing football on Thursdays, at least.

Oh come on dude!!

http://www.nfl.com/tnf

hardy83
07-28-2014, 01:05 PM
i dont know about cancellation, but i am curious about this:

Kevin Murphy (Defiance executive producer/showrunner) further detailed the arc for Defiance Seasons 2 through 4, a trajectory which will see the story expand outwards and upward:

Whatís happening [in Season 2] is setting up the situation thatís the last month. Because weíve just put to bed the finale and its setting up the stage for what [Season 3] is going to be about, much like this season, you know, and occupied.

Like Season 1 was about a wild and wooly, rural free sheriff driven frontier town, Season 2 was about a town that is under occupation dealing with what does it mean to be free and what does it mean to work within a larger context of society as we look at the rest of the world or the rest of North America.

Season 3 is going to be more about global, and itís going to be more about dealing with the role of theology and government is going to be Season 3. And Season 4 is when we go back into space.

Originally posted: http://seriable.com/defiance-seasons-3-4-planned-story-details-revealed/#ixzz38mtVPZAw

If the show is going to space. We better be going with them in the game or I will mad.

It would be awesome to have zones on the moon, or mars, or even on platforms in orbit around the earth.

Alastar
07-28-2014, 01:13 PM

I would be only to happy to positively throw money at Trion IF the content was QUALITY, STABLE and EXCLUSIVE. So.....Meh.

Scapes
07-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Silicon Valley != DLC. This new free content is coming in a few weeks.

Rasczak
07-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Silicon Valley != DLC. This new free content is coming in a few weeks.

Given the quality of the last five (5) DLC's, forgive me for not jumping at this one from release.

Pandur
07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Mr. Scapes just said: "Silicon Valley is still a few weeks out and will be on the PTS before it's released".

Hmm there isn't so many few weeks till seasons end, even less now :P

Bonehead
07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but there are only four weeks left in the season right?

Scapes
07-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but there are only four weeks left in the season right?

Five weeks, I think.

Cavadus
07-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Five weeks, I think.

This is correct. The 31st of July is Thursday and there are four Thursdays in August leading up to and including the 28th for a total of five.

Iceberg
07-28-2014, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't worry... they can just mail it in and reward us with another Powertech lockbox.

Loot code: POWERTECH

Unless we have problems signing into the site again....

Bonehead
07-28-2014, 04:07 PM
This is correct. The 31st of July is Thursday and there are four Thursdays in August leading up to and including the 28th for a total of five.

Okay, I figured since the thirty first is three days away, and the 28th of Aug is four weeks after that I would round the three days out.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/August-2014-Calendar-4_zps4be2bfb7.jpg

To me this looks like four weeks and three days but I'm getting older and sometimes I do get confused. I can see if you start with today as "one" you could get five weeks though even if five weeks is thirty five days and from now to the season finale is thirty one days but hey, who is counting anyways? I mean besides me of course.

OrpheusXI
07-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Ratings are better than last season and it's actually getting praised way more this season. It'll last another 2 season at least imo.

Now, speaking of Dominion, everyone I know couldn't get into it and was like wtf is this $hit. I was too, couldn't watch it. So terrible.

Rasczak
07-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Ratings are better than last season and it's actually getting praised way more this season. It'll last another 2 season at least imo.

Now, speaking of Dominion, everyone I know couldn't get into it and was like wtf is this $hit. I was too, couldn't watch it. So terrible.

That depends not just on ratings, but revenue. As Syfy says, they rarely make money on their shows directly. So the question is, has the Defiance franchise been profitable enough to warrant the continued production costs on the TV series.

Link to Forbes article from pre-launch: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2012/11/26/with-defiance-comcasts-syfy-bets-100m-on-convergence-of-tv-and-videogames/

fighterpilot04
07-28-2014, 05:01 PM
this is from the SDCC defiance panel

http://thegeekiary.com/comic-con-news-from-the-defiance-panel-with-a-big-casting-spoiler/15202

Season 2 of Defiance is under way on the SyFy Channel, and stars Jaime Murray, Tony Curran, Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, and Jesse Rath, along with Executive Producer Kevin Murphy, were at SDCC 2014 to tease what’s next this season and talk about the characters. While the show has not yet been officially renewed by SyFy, Kevin Murphy also gave some hints of what we might see in season 3.

Here are some highlights from the panel, including a major casting spoiler.

* “Humans, humans! Who needs ‘em aye?!?” Tony Curran, who plays Datak Tarr, joked to a packed convention room. He revealed that Datak won’t be going home any time soon. “I’m going to eat some humble pie in my hovel.” Curran said that “[Datak] takes a lickin’, and keeps on tickin’!” [X] [X] [X]

* Of her character Stahma Tarr, who has been gradually questioning her race’s strict social codes, Jaime Murray said “I think she’s going to keep on asserting herself and see where that gets her.” [X]

* Talking about the close but sometimes difficult surrogate father-daughter relationship between Josh Nolan and Irisa, Grant Bowler said “Nolan has the worst teenage daughter in humankind history! Can we all agree upon that? It keeps getting harder, and harder to be a father!” Stephanie Leonidas revealed that we’ll see Irisa continue on the frightening path we’ve seen her going down so far this season. “Irisa’s gone to the dark side!” Bowler added that Kevin Murphy has written scenes that “will take years of therapy” for Irisa and Nolan to recover from. [X] [X] [X] [X]

* “The thing about families is you’re kind of stuck with one another and have to make it work,” said Kevin Murphy. While Irisa and Nolan “live or die together & that’s still in there” the relationship will be tested. [X] [X]

* “I’m kind of a doormat for strong females,” Grant Bowler remarked about his character. When co-star Tony Curran asked what that made Datak, Bowler quipped “You’re the puddle before the doormat.” [X] [X]

* Julie Benz, who portrays Amanda Rosewater, said it was “very challenging” to tap into Amanda’s more troubled side, but that she enjoys playing “the darkness of Amanda.” She said that in the alley scene between Amanda and Nolan, she actually slapped him once (Grant Bowler held up his hand to indicate it was five times.) [X] [X]

* Jesse Rath, who plays Stahma and Datak’s son Alak, said that his character falls in the middle between which parent he’s more like. The actor said he rarely gets recognized out of his make-up. He was in a comic book store and a fan raved to him about the comics, then asked if he watched the show too. [X] [X]

* There are 10 crossovers planned between the show world into the game. [X]

* Some big casting news: Linda Hamilton will guest star in episode 2◊10 as Rafe’s wife, Pilar McCawley. “She puts the smack real hard on Datak & Stahma,” said Kevin Murphy. [X] [X]

* Kevin Murphy said that we’ll see flashbacks to the aliens before they reached earth and when the ark fell. In season 3 Murphy wants to do flashbacks to some of the events of the Pale Wars. [X] [X] [X]

* Grant Bowler said Nolan’s favorite movies as a kid were the Star Wars trilogy and he was “waiting” — until the real aliens actually showed up. “And then he found Chucky.” [X] [X]

* Julie Benz explained that in season 1 she didn’t know that much about Amanda. In season 2, she’s enjoyed the “take down the Polyanna,” seeing the character fall. Kevin Murphy said that Julie Benz was the show’s “Maserati.” [X] [X]

* Another big spoiler drop: Mia Kirschner will return as Kenya Rosewater. On Defiance, “Dead is only the beginning,” Julie Benz commented. [X] [X]

more talk of seasons 3 and 4, and mention of the show/game crossover.

Bonehead
07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm glad Kenya is coming back.

Escyos
07-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I read that they did that so as not to compete with NFL (or some sport) games.

Alexri
07-29-2014, 02:41 AM
It's doomed to be cancelled. I watch it, but it's not a good series. It also thinks it's a premium show with the half sized seasons, which couldn't be more wrong.

Chocolatelover67
07-29-2014, 03:06 AM
I was just thinking about this..

I sincerely do hope we get a season 3.... And a proper wrap up for all the loose story lines..

squidgod2000
07-29-2014, 03:16 AM

Yet Dominion's ratings are nearly identical to Defiance's.

crazyged
07-29-2014, 04:13 AM
The only reason I want the show to succeed is for the longevity of the game.

I'm sort of bored of half the show focusing on Datak Tarr and family (although I'll never get tired of Jaime Murray in the bath!) - there is so much more lore they can go into to make it exciting!

Losobal
07-29-2014, 11:12 PM
I'd say the potential problem with Syfy having no real blocks of programming will spill over to Defiance. In addition to probably not wanting to compete with football, there aren't really any good independent series you can pair, or series of series (ala Stargate night) with Defiance. So even if Defiance is the highest rated of the Syfy shows, with nothing to help stabilize it (via other programming), I don't know about its future.

Chocolatelover67
07-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Defiance was a pretty bold concept....... TV show tied to a game is something I don't think had been done fully before and kudos for them to even try this.... I think it was kind of ballsy to do...

However I too think the future of the show might not be as rosy as I wish it to be.. Just if it ends with season 2 there will be so many unanswered questions.....

Escyos
07-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Defiance is still holding about half of the key demographic, which is a good thing. Ratings don't always count in these situations.

If the show does go, I hope that we get more info in the game (or just on the website). I also hope they start randomly putting real-life items from the show (props, costumes etc.) in lockboxes that we can win.

Chocolatelover67
07-30-2014, 12:55 AM
Defiance is still holding about half of the key demographic, which is a good thing. Ratings don't always count in these situations.

If the show does go, I hope that we get more info in the game (or just on the website). I also hope they start randomly putting real-life items from the show (props, costumes etc.) in lockboxes that we can win.

What kind of props would you like to win?

I want Nolan's gun or one of those fancy rifles with the LED lights in the muzzle, or a Volge pistol from the pilot....

Noize
07-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Personally, I wish the show was animated. I dont mind the show as is, but the acting leaves a bit to be desired and personally, I can deal with bad voice acting much more then awkward overacting. :cool:

Non the less, Viva La Defiance!

Chocolatelover67
07-30-2014, 01:27 AM
Personally, I wish the show was animated. I dont mind the show as is, but the acting leaves a bit to be desired and personally, I can deal with bad voice acting much more then awkward overacting. :cool:

Non the less, Viva La Defiance!

Which bits are overacted?

Noize
07-30-2014, 01:58 AM
Which bits are overacted?

Imo, Irisa and Datak specifically. Personally I just find it tough to watch at times, but to be honest Im picky when it comes to tv shows.