PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Silicon Valley's Encrypted Items

Scapes
07-28-2014, 10:52 PM
http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/06/Defiance_blog_header_4_720x332.jpg/ (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items)

Ark hunters,

The premiere of Season 2 of Defiance on Syfy heralded the beginning of a rapid content release schedule for the Defiance Team here at Trion Worlds. Our designers are working day and night to get the game's first map addition, Silicon Valley, ready to launch in the coming weeks. One of the upcoming gameplay mechanics introduced with this major update is encryption, a new approach to upgrading equipment while improving the overall item chase of Defiance.

Weapons and shields that are looted after the Silicon Valley world expansion launches may drop as an encrypted item, a status which buffs damage or capacity while preventing rarity upgrades via the Salvage Matrix. For more details about this new mechanic, Creative Lead Trick Dempsey and Senior Producer Rich "Phantasie" Barnes have addressed core questions about encryption and what it means for Defiance and its community.

Read the full article on the website. (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items)

drackiller
07-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Yup, yup...right.
Keep up this way...

Ps: by the way, this should be stickied.

Deunan
07-28-2014, 11:42 PM
A weapon or shield will also become encrypted when its rarity is increased in the Salvage Matrix. When a piece of equipment’s rarity is upgraded in the Salvage Matrix, its rarity is increased by one tier (as players have already experienced in the current version of the game). The equipment also gains the encrypted modifier on its details window. Additionally, while an encrypted item’s EGO rating can still be increased, its rarity tier cannot be increased any further.
I guarantee that there are going to be many players that will not like this feature. It will certainly be an unwelcome change for high EGO players that want to upgrade Arkbreaker weapons all the way to Legendary that are not Epic to begin with, especially after what you did to the mechanics of the Warmaster fight.

Arsenic_Touch
07-28-2014, 11:46 PM
http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items/

The link at the bottom to discuss this update that should link to this thread links to this thread instead http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?169175 - which doesn't exist.

Our priority is to make Defiance the best game possible, and after reviewing the data we see fewer players purchasing lockboxes with both our in-game currency and Bits. And as we dig through this data from the past 2 months we realize the mistake we made: our introduction of essentially unlimited rarity upgrades removed the item chase from the game for many of our players.

You really think that lockbox purchases are down because of unlimited rarity upgrades? oh dear....

This is change is not solely about revenue – but at same time we make no secret about it: Defiance is a business – and to be a successful business we need to ensure that our gameplay systems are fun and that they encourage long term play and enjoyment. While not all players may agree with this change, we hope you appreciate our transparency in communicating the rationale behind it. You have asked for us to be upfront with you about the reasons for changes; this is an example of us doing so.

You call it transparency, most will call it a disconnect between players and the company.

I guarantee that there are going to be many players that will not like this feature. It will certainly be an unwelcome change for high EGO players that want to upgrade Arkbreaker weapons all the way to Legendary that are not Epic to begin with, especially after what you did to the mechanics of the Warmaster fight.

Major slap to the face, eh?

Scapes
07-28-2014, 11:53 PM
http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items/

The link at the bottom to discuss this update that should link to this thread links to this thread instead http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?169175 - which doesn't exist.

Noticed that as well, will fix.

Chump Norris
07-29-2014, 12:14 AM
lol I know people who stopped buying things from the bit store because they are pissed off with idiotic nerfs (lockbox forge then Defiant few gear). This is only going to piss them off more GG Trion.

Smiit
07-29-2014, 12:30 AM
I really like this idea. But they dont seem to understand how the difficulty of the game cant seem to really scale with the rewards we get. We should be getting higher rarity weapons based on how difficult something is. The reason people abused the upgrade rarity function was because the game felt unfair at times. Allowing ua to use this and feel more rewarded. You think you are adding fun but you arent. What kind of a game do you play where you cant win? They did it with the warmaster now this.

drackiller
07-29-2014, 01:12 AM

It`s the final axe blow in the game for many players...

Shakk
07-29-2014, 01:17 AM
I actually like this change. Getting godly guns has never been this easy as it is now.

Pandur
07-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Well I can tell you right now without a doubt why my lockbox consumption has gone down.
There's no arkforge to be had there anymore and i really have enough blue weapons.

Since i ran out of rep for Epic mod hoards I'm buying T4s again though just to get rid of the Keycodes.
Funnily enough the last useful legendary in ages (a decently rolled Thunder) came from the free powertech box lol.

Zombie Stark
07-29-2014, 01:39 AM
From the moment weapon rarity upgrades were announced I knew it would pretty much kill the main end game content of this game. Which is chasing a dream weapon. So I'm not really surprised by this.

However, this is just another example of how you at Trion treat your player base like Defiance testers and new content like an experiment. Allowing us to get use to a new mechanic only to now abruptly change it because you later realize what you released didn't work out. This poor execution of things really needs to stop. And using us, your player base as test subjects to your new content is a bad idea. It's what causes outrage as you've seen from the recent WM change, t2 AF nerf, and defiant few weapons nerf.

Monkerlotus
07-29-2014, 02:05 AM
Oh my...

If this encryption **** goes live the way they are describing it now... I won't even be mad... It will break me, I will just lose all emotion I feel towards this game and never think of it again. Online games that no longer exist will suddenly be more relevant in my life than this game.

Ginger Snaps
07-29-2014, 02:34 AM
Hey as a longtime player since beta on PS3, can we get you guys to get off your butts and fix the DCs, PSN forceable signouts and hard system freezes instead of nerf, nerf, moneygrab? Ummkay?

Atticus Batman
07-29-2014, 02:37 AM
Then you really need to do one of three things.

1: make pre-order weapons, weapons received from arkcodes, and reward only weapons exempt until they are upgraded to legendary.

2: retroactively make all of those weapons epic but leave them at an unencrypted status.

or

3: retroactively make them all legendary.

superstorm
07-29-2014, 02:45 AM
I like this change. I believe upgrade rarity should be removed from the game completely, but this update also works for me.

Etaew
07-29-2014, 02:50 AM
I think this would be easier to digest if it didn't mean that unique weapons or shields were locked. At the moment I feel that I'd be locked out of a part of the games content.

Atticus Batman
07-29-2014, 03:07 AM
I think this would be easier to digest if it didn't mean that unique weapons or shields were locked. At the moment I feel that I'd be locked out of a part of the games content.

That's pretty much what I was getting at, 2 posts above you.

RAGEFIGHTER
07-29-2014, 03:17 AM
lol I know people who stopped buying things from the bit store because they are pissed off with idiotic nerfs (lockbox forge then Defiant few gear). This is only going to piss them off more GG Trion.

yess it does i dont see reason to buy arkforge anymore all green blue items are usless now :)

RAGEFIGHTER
07-29-2014, 03:20 AM
about nerfing and donating i already cant see reason to buy any boxes from store they dont give legendarys now arkforge goes down whats next? not so much left boosts and patronpass outfits already are shtako i hope at last encryption is worth thet

BigToH
07-29-2014, 03:52 AM
Encryption... Seriously?

Please, just don't. Sell unique gear (and great) in the bit store, make some new items/weapons as Bit purchased DLC only, hell just ADD something to make yourself more money rather than this REMOVING bs spin you're trying to pull. Each time you make a change like this, the more you're going to reduce your player base.

Truly, just don't.

Xervez
07-29-2014, 04:34 AM
While I understand their explanation on doing this, a lot of players will take this the wrong way since collecting a lower rarity item with rolls you like and hoping for good rolls on upgrading it all the way to OJ was something to look forward too.

This probably won't affect the new players coming in since they don't have enough arkforge to really do anything with it and their main goal is too level up their Ego since using arkforge at low levels is pretty pointless unless their just upping Ego levels of the item.

A few things I would like to know is that with this change since your taking the ability to fully upgrade the same white (common) item to an Orange (legendary) item away will you be lowering the Arkforge cost to upgrade items due to rarity of actually collecting the perfect purple item to upgrade to Orange (legendary)?

For ex. right now it takes 200 arkforge from blue to purple / 500 arkforge from purple to OJ

Will you be lowering it down since this is a give and take relationship?

Another thing that I would like to know is,

Since this is a business like you mentioned a lot of successful games with a in-game store usually have items bought from the store available account wide, while you made these extremely random outfit boxes only available per character, will you be changing them to account wide?

Belle Starr
07-29-2014, 04:38 AM
OK, I've always been one who thought "Change is good," but if you keep changing the rules of a game on a monthly basis, how can anybody get good at it, and who wants to play a game that you can't get good at? :confused:

Trion, lets use Warmaster as an example. Everytime you changed Warmaster I adapted to the new play, but after about the sixth change, I gave up on it because every time I started to get good at it you would change their rules. My clanmates used to call me a Warmaster Groupie I played it so much. Now, I pretty much play it if my friends will be there or if I need some extra arkforge! :(

Trion, change is NOT always good! :eek:

stefb42
07-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Don't know where you pull your ideas from, but the reason I don't buy so many lockboxes now is because of the arkforge Nerf, encrypting or essentially locking weapons will not encourage me to buy more lockboxes as most of the weapons that come out of them are rubbish anyway, even the oranges

So what you're actually doing is giving us less to spend our forge on, which probably isn't as bad as it sounds given the paltry amounts of forge we obtain through gameplay, means when we do find that perfect purple unencrypted gun, we'll have forge to upgrade it as there will be nothing else to spend forge on, good move

But tell me this, do you still believe that people will buy 500 arkforge for 1800 bits or whatever the price is, when you're removing the only feature that would actually encourage someone to buy forge? Seems backwards to me

You want my money? Then give me something for it, don't expect I'll just hand it over

hardy83
07-29-2014, 05:30 AM
Just not let people upgrade to legendary quality. Cap it at epic.
There, problem solved. You get the chase and loot box incentive but people can still upgrade weapons more than once.

duction
07-29-2014, 05:54 AM
There, problem solved. You get the chase and loot box incentive but people can still upgrade weapons more than once.

You said the same in the general section please stop trolling.

TwistedEvil
07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
How about F**K anything except getting this chitty arse gameplay 'fixed'. Make my toon a cartoon stick man, slow my ride down to 55MPH, give me a slingshot and a can of mace as far as i give a damn........just enough is enough already with the daily BS crits and extreme lag, invisible mobs, etc etc etc. Bring in folks who can get this game play more stable....or as I've said, if you guys can't or flat out wont, then close shop and make it for the PS4 & xjunk1.

Milkweed
07-29-2014, 06:40 AM
This encryption thing doesn't sound like anything good to me. Sounds like rationale behind a nerf. Kinda new here but I know when I smell something is off.

Belle Starr
07-29-2014, 06:53 AM

If you are going to do this, just don't allow upgrades of weapons and shields - period! Part of the fun for me in this game was the chase of getting a legendary weapon from a siege, arkfall, or even Warmaster, or the mystery of spending bits and script on a lockbox and maybe getting a legendary. I don't know anything about computer game programming, but it is logical to think it would be simpler to erase the upgrading feature from the Defiance program then to morph it into this encryption thingee! :confused:

BIEBERyoloSWAG
07-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Whats it matter if you cant level a white to orange anymore?? NOTHING.

Once you can reroll synergy and rolls you can take any base orange and make it exactly what you want without the gamble of wondering what is my next roll going to be while upgrading a guns rarity.

That is of course if they do add that feature as they have said..and if that feature isn't limited to just one or two reroll attempts

spddy
07-29-2014, 07:53 AM
I order for a business to have success, start by stop nerfing items. When one cries cause it is too hard for them then something in the bit store only, to help beef them up for a few seconds like from the dark matter arkfalls. When defiance first came out it was fun and enjoyable because we could do majority of things in groups and some by ourselves, until it became very unbalanced. We all know their will be times when systems go down or not work properly, but when things are not broken then why fix it. nothing else to say but very disappointed.

mclumpo
07-29-2014, 07:54 AM
if all my existing legendarys are encrypted are they all receiving a dmg buff?

Milkweed
07-29-2014, 07:57 AM
It's says once encrypted the salvage matrix can't do anything anymore.
Does this include mastery rolls? And also if you can later reroll individual rolls wouldn't that be out as well.
AND if all my existing legendarys are encrypted they all receive a dmg buff?

+1 these points need to be clarified/confirmed.

mclumpo
07-29-2014, 07:59 AM
I reread it and it specified upgrade rarity. I have edited my post to reflect that.
Guess I just went straight to ARE YOU KIDDING ME mode.

Maeson
07-29-2014, 08:06 AM
I can see where the devs are coming from. And I can understand some of the player frustration. You had a solid way of getting "that gun" you always wanted. For me it's a fully modded 7th legion pistol and semi-auto sniper. I've carried one pistol with me for nearly 2000 ego. Upgrading it as I go. Keeping it as green for the most of it and only recently upgrading it to blue. Guess I have to kick it up to purple for the sheer reason of being able to make it epic when this hits max (ego 4300+ here so not a terribly long way to go)

I'm one of those people who want "my gun" Something that "I built" just for me. That I took from a lowly common/uncommon state and made into an epic weapon. The legendary weapon of "That Arkhunter" that felled Nim, Dekuso. The destroyer of Volge and the executioner of raiders. In a roleplay sense one of those guns that you could imagine being a legacy item once my hunter's gone (for whatever reason).

Nolan's Gun. But mine. And the system now lets everyone get there with relative confidence. You are less bound by RNG on getting that specific gun from that faction with those bonuses you want. You can find something "close enough" and go from there.

Lets see how it goes.

Xervez
07-29-2014, 08:22 AM
if all my existing legendarys are encrypted are they all receiving a dmg buff?

Who will encryption affect?

Starting with the launch of the Silicon Valley world expansion, new weapons and shields will have a chance to drop as either an encrypted or an unencrypted version.

All of your current legendary weapons and shields will become encrypted so you can gain the damage and capacity bonuses, respectively. All of your weapons and shields of epic or lower tiers will be considered unencrypted.

We decided against retroactively setting all rarity-upgraded weapons and shields already in the game as encrypted because that measure felt very punitive to us as players and that isn’t the purpose of this new mechanic.

This should answer your question...

Milkweed
07-29-2014, 08:26 AM
But I'm not understanding, once a weapon becomes encrypted will there continue to be the ability to reroll mastery, unlimited as it currently is? And will an encrypted weapon still retain the ability to level up with my ego? What I'm asking is does the encryption affect rarity ONLY? Is that the intent? And will it work properly once the change goes live?

BIEBERyoloSWAG
07-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Dont worry guys this is going to start when silicon valley gets loaded into our maps....which is never happening.

alienstookmybeer
07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
"Starting with the launch of the Silicon Valley world expansion, new weapons and shields will have a chance to drop as either an encrypted or an unencrypted version. All of your current legendary weapons and shields will become encrypted so you can gain the damage and capacity bonuses, respectively."

I take it the second sentence applies to whatever is in your inventory when you've logged in after the update goes live.

So what about legendary drops found after the update.. will they all be dropped as encrypted? Sounds like they will be inferior if not.

Also by automatically converting all of our existing legendary gear to encrypted, does this mean there absolutely will never be an option to upgrade the rarity of gear above legendary through the salvage matrix (because adding that option would mean our current legendary gear has already been locked into a permanent inferior status)?

l Krazey Ivan l
07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
As I have already stated on the other thread concerning this topic, the reason I Stopped buying the lock boxes so much was because of the drop in arkforge and as for the orange weapons I hardly get any from them. As for these new changes I don't really care about them one way or the other, it wont make me buy lock boxes and ark forge from the store and unless you put some new outfits in there (or some Eye Patches maybe:) ) I probably wont be buying any more bits at all.

BIEBERyoloSWAG
07-29-2014, 08:49 AM
As I have already stated on the other thread concerning this topic, the reason I Stopped buying the lock boxes so much was because of the drop in arkforge and as for the orange weapons I hardly get any from them. As for these new changes I don't really care about them one way or the other, it wont make me buy lock boxes and ark forge from the store and unless you put some new outfits in there (or some Eye Patches maybe:) ) I probably wont be buying any more bits at all.

I bought three sets (meaning around 70keycodes each set) worth of Tier 2 last night. Pulled 50 Arkforge 4 times. I was shocked. I think they buffed it after complaints because that should have never happened. Try doing T2 again it might be working as it was

TalynOne
07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
I bought three sets (meaning around 70keycodes each set) worth of Tier 2 last night. Pulled 50 Arkforge 4 times. I was shocked. I think they buffed it after complaints because that should have never happened. Try doing T2 again it might be working as it was

No it's still nerfed you're just seeing Trion's "RNG" system at work. Trion defines RNG as Repetitive Number Generator, it means whatever you get you'll keep getting. One blue? With Trion RNG that means 4 Blues. One BMG from lockbox? With Trion RNG it means next 15 out of 20 guns you'll get will be a BMG.

------------

The only thing worth buying in the bit store are inventory slots and you put a hard limit of 400 on that when Defiance went F2P. Don't limit the amount of inventory slots someone can buy and put non hideous skins in the bit store. The only people buying lock boxes from the bit store are people with more money than brains.

internaut
07-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Oh well, I guess I'll start downing the MASSIVE 22Gig ArcheAge game now.
A FRESH challenge will be welcome now.

Terrornaut
07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm not looking forward to this at all. I don't like loot chase in games - I like exploring options, but not dealing with masses of loot that take away from gameplay time. I like to find a few fun weapons and then stick with them- so I absolutely loved the upgrade rarity and rating features.

I wish Trion would polish their jerky stiff linear animations already - definitely a weakspot of Trions. but ah well. I'll probably shelf this when Destiny comes out. Maybe not though.

Cavadus
07-29-2014, 09:25 AM
I appreciate the honesty but how y'all are so oblivious to why people don't blow money on bits for boxes and arkforges highlights, yet again, the enormous disconnect between you, the developer, and us, the players.

So let me spell this out for you.

We don't buy arkforge because the price is insane and lockboxes have no guarantee of supplying anything worthwhile. A four blue lockbox is the same as burning money.

Hopefully y'all will come to understand this before it's too late.

N3gativeCr33p
07-29-2014, 09:29 AM
One of the upcoming gameplay mechanics introduced with this major update is encryption, a new approach to upgrading equipment while improving the overall item chase of Defiance.

Sigh... my oh my oh my... I need more aspirin.

http://www.televisioned.net/30612/psych-30612.gif

Terrato137
07-29-2014, 09:32 AM
I think we should all just spam the general discussion with threads relaying our disgust with updates such as this. Spam it over, and over, and over.

bigguy
07-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Im sorry did it say "improving the overall item chase"...Thats a line of BS. The upgrade system did improve the chase now you are going backwards again. You can come up with whatever lies you want to tell yourself or others this isnt improving anything for the players only for TRION or at least thats what YOU think. This isnt going to help your arkforge sales or whatever you think this is going to help. After DESTROYING the arkforge drop rates and DESTROYING the new defiant few weps on the whim of a couple of pvp complainers not caring about what the majority of the playerbase had to say , This wont help you.

nathanpbutler
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Wow. The one thing that folks were really excited about amid the F2P/NSFW update to the game, and now it's being significantly undercut.

As others have said, unless the loot one gets is going to actually be comparable to how well a player is doing, instead of going through a ***** of a fight and coming out on top only to get a couple of blues and a grenade charge (such as in Grid Arkbreaks), this is a really poor decision. People will be more pissed than pleased.

So, I guess the lesson here is that if you have a weapon that is not already purple that you MIGHT someday want to upgrade in rarity, get that sucker upgraded ASAP, so that it will still be able to upgrade to orange after the Silicon Valley patch if you want.

And, really? "Encrypted?" Destiny much?

I love this game, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what the hell Trion is thinking most of the time.

reciprocate
07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Wow Trion, just wow. You guys really hate your player base that much huh?

Sliverbaer
07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Encrypted, yeah does sound like Destiny. First thing that came to mind.

I understand the reasoning behind the change. Don't want people turning decent rare drops into legendary. Fine. Not sure how Arkforge sales compares to the decrease in lockbox sales. I certainly hadn't purchased either. If anything I've used more ark salvage than I ever have getting lockboxes with nothing but rare and craptastic epics.

I just recently got into the 5300 range and had been updating the epic 7th Legion Sumimoto I pulled around 2700, as I leveled up. Just upgraded the rarity to legendary. Made me excited, as all the other legendary items I have aren't all that great. Those are all from lockboxes from resources or high score arkfalls. I still have yet to finish the pursuit for the Legendary grenade and shield as I have never seen one of either drop for me.

Still have that legendary extra life charge blade in the 1800 EGO range. No way I have enough arkforge to upgrade that to 5300. If anything, you should drop the need for arkforge to upgrade level on weapons and make it XP based. Keep the mastery bonus or reroll it with arkforge, but as you use it, it gains XP and levels up. That's how it should have been done from the beginning of DLC5.

4ndreas
07-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Stuff

Get high(er) Charge Blade from Liro vendor. Get Legendary Shield from 7th Legion boxes, get grenade for cheap by asking in zone chat.

Cavadus
07-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Upgrading item level should cost salvage, IMO. At least that would make salvage useful again.

TTOWNZ DIRTIEST
07-29-2014, 11:03 AM
THIS GAME IS TURNING INTO A BORDERLANDS all over again and that is the reason I left there to join here....I mean when I used to get a OJ from a Siege or from a Dark Matter Major, I would jump for joy!!! Now most of the ones I pick up, I usually break down or sell to vendor, because I can find a green, or blue with decent stats and upgrade it till it becomes AWESOME... Now the flood of ORANGE WEAPONS HAS KILLED DEFIANCE...You cant even sell or trade like you used to, because people know the can build a better one than your selling...Which in return has made a lot of people Legendary full and SCRIPT POOR!! Now they are turning to DESTINY to be there Savoir, when they really have a deeep love for DEFIANCE!!! THIS UPGRADE SYSTEM HAS REALLY CRUSHED EVERYTHING!!! AND NOW WARMASTER NEVER DYING IS ANOTHER REASON NOT TO JOIN MAJOR ARKBREAKS!!! WHAT IS NEXT TRION??

Sliverbaer
07-29-2014, 11:04 AM
blah

Extra-Life blade is different than Liro. I have two of those at 2500 range. Haven't seen any legendary shields from any boxes. I know I could ask clan to borrow them.

Upgrading item level should cost salvage, IMO. At least that would make salvage useful again.

Very good idea.

nathanpbutler
07-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Encrypted, yeah does sound like Destiny. First thing that came to mind.

I understand the reasoning behind the change. Don't want people turning decent rare drops into legendary. Fine. Not sure how Arkforge sales compares to the decrease in lockbox sales. I certainly hadn't purchased either. If anything I've used more ark salvage than I ever have getting lockboxes with nothing but rare and craptastic epics.

I just recently got into the 5300 range and had been updating the epic 7th Legion Sumimoto I pulled around 2700, as I leveled up. Just upgraded the rarity to legendary. Made me excited, as all the other legendary items I have aren't all that great. Those are all from lockboxes from resources or high score arkfalls. I still have yet to finish the pursuit for the Legendary grenade and shield as I have never seen one of either drop for me.

Still have that legendary extra life charge blade in the 1800 EGO range. No way I have enough arkforge to upgrade that to 5300. If anything, you should drop the need for arkforge to upgrade level on weapons and make it XP based. Keep the mastery bonus or reroll it with arkforge, but as you use it, it gains XP and levels up. That's how it should have been done from the beginning of DLC5.

Don't forget that there's the Chimera Fang if you finish up one of the DLC5 pursuits. That would negate the need to upgrade that charge blade if you just wanted a high-end orange blade.

Z0mb1E
07-29-2014, 01:10 PM
So lets start with this

Weapons and shields that are looted after the Silicon Valley world expansion launches "may" drop as an encrypted item.

Pulled straight from your article, please define "MAY" further. Under what circumstances would a weapon/shield drop NOT be encrypted?

Additionally you state that once an item is encrypted you cannot raise it's rarity anymore, while at the same time you state ego rating can be increased. What about mastery rolls? Can we please confirm we'll still be able to re-roll mastery after an item is "encrypted"

Iceberg
07-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Is this one of those the community doesn't know how to play properly so we are going to change the game again? Just scrap keys and allow players to buy lock boxes from the bit store for 40 dollars (because you guys know how to price things right), bring back the legendary gun with epic mods kit for 100 dollars and roll in the dough all day.

By the way, if you are a business that wants to succeed, please stop talking down to your customer base and making them feel like they are the ones who are in the wrong.

Reb Graybeard
07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Dlp 1 was introduced with nary any content and items that were incomplete [craptor].
Dlp 2 was introduced broken and every "fix" breaks it even worse. It is almost dead as it is.
Dlp 3 was introduced with a rip-off of an event that was already in game. And, oh yeah, samurai.
Dlp 4 gave us Colonel Sanders.
Dlp 5 gave us arkforge and the ability to upgrade rating.

It was promised that a future patch would allow us to upgrade raity and a further patch would allow us change synergy and rolls. All of this with Dlp 5's arkforge.

Now, the patch to gain the ability to upgrade rarity is being nerfed.

Paint me, unsurprised.

Roez
07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
It's slightly troubling at how quickly these changes come, and how altering they are. This is something I would expect during an Alpha. We've seen almost a complete about-face over three months with arkforge. It gives the impression the developers are seeing unintended consequences.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. There's value in objective feedback, whether it's good or bad.

Smiit
07-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Sooo... they arent gonna do anything about this carl dbag?

Smiit
07-29-2014, 02:08 PM
You see how I find that hard to believe right?

Roez
07-29-2014, 02:11 PM
I appreciate the honesty but how y'all are so oblivious to why people don't blow money on bits for boxes and arkforges highlights, yet again, the enormous disconnect between you, the developer, and us, the players.

We don't buy arkforge because the price is insane and lockboxes have no guarantee of supplying anything worthwhile. A four blue lockbox is the same as burning money.

The bit store purchased lockboxes, as designed, are likely here to stay. They get the same complaints you give, in other games, and yet they tend to be extremely profitable. They aren't aimed at the normal, or typical user. They are there for those who don't mind throwing down $50 bucks to see what they might get, and some people will spend hundreds or thousands. The fact some of the items are rare (outfits here), and this is the only way to get them (ie, it's expensive), is the draw.

N3gativeCr33p
07-29-2014, 02:59 PM

Here! Here!

UniqueOne
07-29-2014, 03:06 PM

/signed

Keeping my weapons around my rating has been impossible due to lock box nerfs.

I don't care much about upgrading rarity, but I would like to keep the same weapon for more then a few days before I can't afford to upgrade it.

Z0mb1E
07-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Scapes can we please get some clarification on whether or not encrypted items will still be able to re-roll mastery bonuses?

EroticJellyfish
07-29-2014, 03:40 PM
ffs.. whatever trick suggests.. Do the exact opposite. I've been playing the game a month and already everything he's done is ******ed and driving me away from the game.

OrpheusXI
07-29-2014, 03:58 PM
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/1120fez.gif

SymbolicGamer
07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm cool with this.

Just a few questions.

1 a) Will all Legendary weapons earned after this update be encrypted, or are there also going to be "normal" Legendary weapons without the damage boost?

1 b) If normal orange weapons exist, since Legendary is the highest rarity does that mean we won't be able to encrypt them?

2 ) Mission rewards and other unique guns. Can these be changed to non-encrypted purple rarity? I like using guns like the Firestorm and Thundershock on new characters, but if they can never be leveled above green, that's going to be a disappointment.

Dorkasaurus
07-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Still no word on the ability to reroll weapon stats? This change is all fine with me if I can take the purples and oranges that do drop and make them the gun I wanted.

Xaat Xuun
07-29-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm cool with this.

Just a few questions.

1 a) Will all Legendary weapons earned after this update be encrypted, or are there also going to be "normal" Legendary weapons without the damage boost?

1 b) If normal orange weapons exist, since Legendary is the highest rarity does that mean we won't be able to encrypt them?

2 ) Mission rewards and other unique guns. Can these be changed to non-encrypted purple rarity? I like using guns like the Firestorm and Thundershock on new characters, but if they can never be leveled above green, that's going to be a disappointment.
your #2 was my only concern for this change, new players starting after SV goes live will have to deal with that issue, if it is one, I hope mission rewards have some immunity to becoming encrypted, some are nice, but only come in green and like the ones you mention white.
hog leg, El Diablo, are just some other named mission reward weapons

Ozz
07-29-2014, 10:36 PM
If you really want to make money, make the Locked Boxes in the store give out AWESOME Legendary Weapons so that even the poor guy/girl can afford to buy them. Your store house will be flooded and overflowing. That's how you can create a product which is very tempting to buy. Work on the ONE DOLLAR Principle and see what happens. Then everyone will be raving about these awesome weapons they got from the store for $1.00 each. I dare you to test it.

You never float your new ideas on the forums to get our feedback before you even consider implementing something. Instead you tell us, this is what we are gonna do, like it or not. We are the people who play your game for all sorts of reasons to find some sort of an escape and satisfaction from the circumstances of life.

Why can't you say, this is what we are pondering over to add or take away > WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

You have ruined the locked boxes in the game. Every time I buy one, I'm reminded of the time and effort that I have wasted to gain keys , only to salvage the rubbish I get from the boxes. If there is anything that needs changing, please don't overlook this.

You really think that lockbox purchases are down because of unlimited rarity upgrades? oh dear....

You call it transparency, most will call it a disconnect between players and the company.

Major slap to the face, eh?

*Pats Arsenic_Touch on the back :)

I like the game how it is, please don't change it !!!

Ozz
07-29-2014, 10:57 PM

I agree with Cavadus !!!

Ozz
07-29-2014, 11:02 PM
http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/06/Defiance_blog_header_4_720x332.jpg/ (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items)

Ark hunters,

The premiere of Season 2 of Defiance on Syfy heralded the beginning of a rapid content release schedule for the Defiance Team here at Trion Worlds. Our designers are working day and night to get the game's first map addition, Silicon Valley, ready to launch in the coming weeks. One of the upcoming gameplay mechanics introduced with this major update is encryption, a new approach to upgrading equipment while improving the overall item chase of Defiance.

Weapons and shields that are looted after the Silicon Valley world expansion launches may drop as an encrypted item, a status which buffs damage or capacity while preventing rarity upgrades via the Salvage Matrix. For more details about this new mechanic, Creative Lead Trick Dempsey and Senior Producer Rich "Phantasie" Barnes have addressed core questions about encryption and what it means for Defiance and its community.

Read the full article on the website. (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items)

Oh that smiling face !!! Gimme more salt for my wounds. Re: Scapes :mad:

BlackTalons
07-29-2014, 11:24 PM
3% damage/capacity increase seems meaningless, 5% at least would start to be useful.

l Krazey Ivan l
07-30-2014, 03:25 AM

Insane prices is right. Anyone remember the £60 orange weapon lockboxes?. I wonder how many of those they sold.

Chocolatelover67
07-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Don't know where you pull your ideas from,

I might be banned if I said where I think some of these "ideas" come from..........

Not happy

DEATHBRINGER210
07-30-2014, 08:38 AM
yey another bad move

Milkweed
07-30-2014, 08:47 AM
ffs.. whatever trick suggests.. Do the exact opposite. I've been playing the game a month and already everything he's done is ******ed and driving me away from the game.

same here.

Mr666
07-30-2014, 09:15 AM
This change is needed I was so bored getting everything I wanted so easily. The change makes OJ mean something again but its sad you guys didn't do this from the start with rarity upgrade. Good work team and try not to do something like this again please

Stubin
07-30-2014, 10:42 AM
How about focusing on making what you have more profitable?

I am tired of wasting keys and getting garbage from the tier 4 lock boxes. I dont buy archforge because the cost to upgrade is too expensive and the cost to buy a small amount of archforge just to upgrade or re-roll mastery or whatever is too high.

If you want to get people to buy stuff you need to make it worth getting. Not forcing people to buy expensive products that wont even guarantee that you will get what you want. Its counter-productive and is upsetting.

Studying economics and a free market society would probably help with Trion right now. Since they seem to just look at numbers that, in their perfect world, would make them tons of money.

You have to make what you have more profitable by making it more valuable to the users. Not trying to be a snake oil salesman to new players since all your veteran players are gone due to this game being way too expensive to justify the horrible game play experience.

Cavadus
07-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Studying economics and a free market society would probably help with Trion right now. Since they seem to just look at numbers that, in their perfect world, would make them tons of money.

Well, even the head honcho or board of directors or whatever they have isn't terribly bright since they're located in California which is one of, if not the, most business unfriendly state in America while already having an office in Austin.

If they had any business sense they would have completely abandoned California awhile ago like pretty much every other company from California that cared about their bottom line.

maverick07
07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
I'm cool with this.

Just a few questions.

These are pretty much the same questions I have (not sure if they were answered today on stream). Also... might suck to pull something like a purple double crit hound only to find it's encrypted.

Xaat Xuun
07-30-2014, 07:01 PM
These are pretty much the same questions I have (not sure if they were answered today on stream). Also... might suck to pull something like a purple double crit hound only to find it's encrypted.
Purple wouldn't be bad, you can upgrade rarity once on a Encrypted item, but if it was Blue with a double crit, now that would suck if it was encrypted

Arsenic_Touch
07-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Purple wouldn't be bad, you can upgrade rarity once on a Encrypted item, but if it was Blue with a double crit, now that would suck if it was encrypted

No, you cannot upgrade encrypted guns, so what he said would suck. You can only upgrade non encrypted guns and you can only upgrade that gun once.

Amack
07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
This does not affect my gameplay in any drastic negative way that I can tell. I still cannot fully wrap my head around the reasoning however. Since Trion is a business that is here to make profit, they are going to severely limit the amount of weapons that can be modified using Arkforge... umm okay?

Because Grenades I suppose.

Xaat Xuun
07-31-2014, 02:37 AM
No, you cannot upgrade encrypted guns, so what he said would suck. You can only upgrade non encrypted guns and you can only upgrade that gun once.
thanks for the correction .. I see where I messed up what I was thinking now

DSW
07-31-2014, 03:16 AM
time to up all my greens to purples :/

drackiller
07-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Most of the stuff you get from lockboxes are encrypted, green , blue, purple...

Nice job.

fromday1
08-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Its sad how this company is running things. I actually didn't mind being a guinea pig. From day one I've always know this game was going to evolved around us. It really is the 1st of its kind. I didn't find my 1st legendary weapon until I was ego 3500+ same with my friend. We thought it sucked that it took so long but also enjoyed the journey to get them. Legendary drops have increased over the months, that's why there's so many going around. The introduction of rarity upgrade only gave the chance of making a good weopon great and a chance of making that great weapon truly legendary. Not every legendary drop is truly legendary, and not every epic is great. The ability to upgrade more common weapons gave us the chance to make something worth having. Not everybody uses the forums to sell weapons for a gazillion script. Not everybody has that script to buy something worth having. Upgrading rarity gave the players who play the game something to work at. Finding a gun at common then making it legendary and having it mastered is a process. A process that is in no way a guarantee. Someone can spend script, arkforge, and time making a weapon that becomes trash with a bad rarity upgrade. I know my plea as well as almost every post in here to have this stopped wont even delay your decision. What's done is done... Or at least until your company redoes it then again and again. Most company's use those testers not just have them. Some of us will still play regardless but really this isn't going to get anyone to spend more money. Do you want the answer to why you've seen a decrease in lockbox sales? It because the games been out over a year now. Simple as that. We the community have seen what our money buys. We will only get burned so many times before we realize we are being burned. Put a guaranteed legendary in each box. You will have your increase. Have more options for outfits. As far as lock box sales, you have to get over it. You didn't do anything to make them worth real money don't expect the same player to keep dealing out money when we have seen the result. One legendary weapon in every five lockboxes, and that item might just be sold to vendor.
We know just because something is the color Orange doesn't mean its worth anything. The only way we could get a real legendary weapon was to make it. You take that away after a number of players have worked to get what they have and you will lose plenty of those players. You were on the right track with the rarity upgrade. Now work on selling arkforge, because without a serious upgrade to lockboxes your going to continue to lose money there and it's a lost cause.

DSW
08-02-2014, 02:25 AM
one thing i'd like to see going unencrypted at all - anything that you cannot trade AND all the named mission rewards. they can be shtaky on stats, but if someone wants them upped to orange, why not?

ZiddersRoofurry
08-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Its sad how this company is running things. I actually didn't mind being a guinea pig. From day one I've always know this game was going to evolved around us. It really is the 1st of its kind. I didn't find my 1st legendary weapon until I was ego 3500+ same with my friend. We thought it sucked that it took so long but also enjoyed the journey to get them. Legendary drops have increased over the months, that's why there's so many going around.

The introduction of rarity upgrade only gave the chance of making a good weopon great and a chance of making that great weapon truly legendary. Not every legendary drop is truly legendary, and not every epic is great. The ability to upgrade more common weapons gave us the chance to make something worth having. Not everybody uses the forums to sell weapons for a gazillion script. Not everybody has that script to buy something worth having. Upgrading rarity gave the players who play the game something to work at.

Finding a gun at common then making it legendary and having it mastered is a process. A process that is in no way a guarantee. Someone can spend script, arkforge, and time making a weapon that becomes trash with a bad rarity upgrade. I know my plea as well as almost every post in here to have this stopped wont even delay your decision. What's done is done... Or at least until your company redoes it then again and again. Most company's use those testers not just have them. Some of us will still play regardless but really this isn't going to get anyone to spend more money. Do you want the answer to why you've seen a decrease in lockbox sales? It because the games been out over a year now. Simple as that.

We the community have seen what our money buys. We will only get burned so many times before we realize we are being burned. Put a guaranteed legendary in each box. You will have your increase. Have more options for outfits. As far as lock box sales, you have to get over it. You didn't do anything to make them worth real money don't expect the same player to keep dealing out money when we have seen the result. One legendary weapon in every five lockboxes, and that item might just be sold to vendor.

We know just because something is the color Orange doesn't mean its worth anything. The only way we could get a real legendary weapon was to make it. You take that away after a number of players have worked to get what they have and you will lose plenty of those players. You were on the right track with the rarity upgrade. Now work on selling arkforge, because without a serious upgrade to lockboxes your going to continue to lose money there and it's a lost cause.

QFT (hope you don't mind the edit). While I've only been playing this game a little while compared to some it's staggering to think that one of the few decent mechanics the game possesses is being limited even more. I can't understand why Trion is limiting this games potential so much.

Thug
08-03-2014, 01:31 AM
being able to change a BA blue to a orange is the best thing that has happened in defiance an now ur taking it away come on guys your pissing off what little fan base u have left if someone wants to put in hours of gameplay for the amount of arkforge it takes to fully upgrade a gun and gamble it away on gun rolls then let them do it if anything it seems like trion would make more bits off sellling arkforge for bits like this then with the crypted stuff arkforge is going to be pointless just like ark salvage is now

BC001
08-03-2014, 04:05 AM
I do not see how this change will get people to buy more lockboxes, the main reason for buying lockboxes was to get arkforge to upgrade weapons and if the weapons are locked after one upgrade then arkforge use will go down, not up. For that matter upgrading weapons is already much more expensive than it used to be since the lockbox nerf, enough so that it is almost impossible to do a rarity upgrade without getting arkforge packs in the cash shop in fact.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people seem to like to do a kind of silent light roleplay and use weapons of a specific type which they upgrade since waiting for another one of the exact weapon or shield of better rarity to drop can take a long time. If the drops do not cooperate (or it is a type that only drops in one rarity level like some of the more unique weapons) then they could get frustrated with the wait and go elsewhere to game.

Wlicked Woody
08-03-2014, 08:08 AM
I see this as a severe misinterpretation of the data collected...Many of my friends and I have reduced our purchases of lockboxes because we already have the weapons we want and trading has been destroyed by the ego level weaponry. Between those two reasons and the fact we are all getting tired of the newest batch of monster dc cycles, there is not nearly as much reason to play the game. I was a daily player since December last year and have cut back drastically. If things aren't going better in this game by September, well....

Degan
08-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Pretty sure they will introduce a one time use item in the store that will "break" the encryption... for a small fortune no doubt.

I was actually planning to start buying a small amount of bits a month... about what I would spend on a subscription game. But, in seeing how this company wants to change things to be one sided and herd the players to the store like cattle... screw that.

I'll play with POS weapons and run around shooting stuff until I get tired of it. I'll play this like a simple time waster and not invest at all monetarily or in time. Once I find something else I'd rather spend my money and time on, I'' be gone.

Until then, I'll be the guy using greens and blues since that's all I can afford to keep leveled up to my level.

ejester
08-03-2014, 08:14 PM
No one buys the lock boxes because they are crap. It's as simple as that. Make lockboxes worth buying and people buy them until the cows come home.

I am not sure what is so difficult to understand about this?

The loot drops in this game have ALWAYS been TERRIBLE! which is why the vast majority of people stopping playing in the first place.

In fact, I didn't even bother coming back to play until the recently when you allowed us to upgrade rarity. Then I was like "well ok, I guess I can live with the craptastic drop rate if I can at least have a CHANCE at making something half worth using myself".

I mean I still have to farm / buy the arkforge + the scrip + salvage. The excuse that you are getting rid of this so you can make more money is utter bs. You want to make money? try making some cosmetic items that actually WORTH BUYING.

Seriously, who runs your art dept? 90% of your cosmetic gear is either a reskin of something we can get for free from doing pursuits or just so fugly that I wouldn't make my worst enemy wear it out in public.

Sure there are a couple of ok lookin outfits, but my god ...

You have no restrictions on what you guys can do in terms of cosmetic items, why aren't you taking advantage of that fact and actually put stuff into the shop that people might want to wear? Seriously...I've been waiting for a cool pair of shades since the game came out!

Then you could add in other smaller things, like what about a little bot / pet that autoloots / salvages for you?

This isn't rocket science people, try lookin around at some other games, see what they offer.

In any case, this whole encrypted item nonsense is going to be the final nail in the coffin that shuts this game down. Which is sad, because I was just starting to enjoy myself again and was considering sinkin some money into inventory upgrades, etc until this, now, hell no.

Not sure who thought this was a good idea, but they need to be fired.

yourworstnitemare
08-03-2014, 11:59 PM
With the last few updates especially the war master I've seen people quit playing who I never thought would.and few more said they wil actually uninstall the game completely if this encryption bs is as bad as we think
you devs have to remember if we stop playing you stop getting paid and in if you think about it we ARE your boss and a certain person who I will not mention by name because how much a power hungry tool he is has done nothing but ruin a game I been play on since beta. So yes essentially it is a business at which you are failing at.

Szn
08-05-2014, 07:12 AM
First off, this is dedrater (backwards cussing). Second, why would anyone on earth REMOVE the ability to upgrade the rarity of a weapon that took about 21038230921803 hours to find? Furthermore, Upgrading anything i.e. tier mods, rating, and rarity is to me, "crafting." (except you don't actually MAKE the weapon) You find a weapon that took you DECADES to find, then upgrade it to a higher rairty to make it legendary to increase the base stats of the weapon you've played hours on end for. So if anyone is going to moan about removing the rarity option entirely, then you have problems that needs to be fixed. Rarity (in some cases depending on the weapon you own) makes the gun better to me if it was Epic to Legendary.

Even so, this sounds kinda like a personal problem for Trion due to their inability to keep things the way they are; as they've stated "Defiance is a business," so this means that they truly don't care too much for the players and decide to go about making 'out of whack' decisions solely based on how they feel about certain situations and/or how the player handles the game. Take the Warmaster for example; they've added a timer as soon as you finish the top part of the building - a two-minute (if I'm correct on this) timer to break open the locks. Instead of adding a timer, Increase the timer on FIGHTING the Warmaster; multiple reasons, but Primarily, randoms come in and they don't know what the kcuf (backwards cussing) to do. The game itself needs to be reworked upon, or people are forced to no longer play this game; I, myself included. Trion, get it to together and stop adding/removing tihs(backwards cussing).

Vindaloo
08-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Trion must tread lightly. Sony had a our way or the highway mentality with eq. WoW came out and people left in droves. Sony has been very customer centric with eq2 and a lot of people have come back. Let's hope destiny isn't your WoW. I do thoroughly enjoy this game and hope to keep enjoying it.

SilverWF
08-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Agree, this changes are strange and not needed to players.

SilverWF
08-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I actually like this change. Getting godly guns has never been this easy as it is now.

Maybe, but there is already a lot of players with that "godly guns" and all newcomers will never has a chance to get the same guns for self...

Decrypted
08-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Ark hunters,

You do know you will lose profits from arkforge because of this.

Mosche
08-05-2014, 10:52 AM
New player still but I can offer my reason for not buying anything from your store. YOUR PRICES ARE INSANE.

Seriously, Id feel like a dummy if I'd buy anything at the price levels you've set. With more moderate prices I'd have shown my support like I have in other F2P games. This way, Ill just play your game until I hit a ceiling and then say good bye.

lawszepie
08-05-2014, 10:58 AM
trion, how could you guys be so bad at figuring out how to make money....

Ezpikins
08-05-2014, 11:47 AM
You guys suck. While your honest it's another money grab by you, take this as an honest reply I've been in this game since the beta (tested), I paid $65 for the game and $35 for the DLC's and what have I gotten for my money? Nothing, we haven't had a landmass addition since beta until now. I've sunk uncountable fortunes of ark forge and scrip into modding weapons which I am now told will be generalized, I am not spending another dollar on Defiance you really need to catch up on the satisfaction thing before you look for more of my hard earned money. As the saying goes "Buy me dinner before you try and F**k me".

Z0mb1E
08-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe, but there is already a lot of players with that "godly guns" and all newcomers will never has a chance to get the same guns for self...

Take heart, it only took me 14 months to get my "Godly Gun".

The Bronze
08-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I have to agree with a majority of players here on why lockboxes don't sell. I've been playing since day one, so I've seen everything you've done and I'd like to say I have some experience when I say the following.

Simply put:

1: Lockbox loot quality is too random to pay real money for.
2: Your prices are too expensive for what you're giving.
3: Your RNG is broken. If I am getting 3 of the same type of grenade launcher/shotgun/rocket launcher etc. in one box frequently there is something wrong with your RNG. I bought 20 dollars worth of bits just to see if anything had changed here and it hadn't. I got better loot in the free powertech box from the show code.

This lockbox thing reminds me of Star Trek Online's system but worse. I don't care what people are telling you in your marketing department, you are making some really poor decisions.

Listen to your players.

These lockbox issues have been going on forever, and ever and ever. As you just injected a new batch of players with F2P and they have purchased lockboxes only to see the same behaviors the rest of the player base has been telling you about for forever, of course your purchase rates are going down. Was this taken into account vs. assuming rarity upgrading was the problem? I see players complaining in chat about the crappy randomness of lockboxes and veterans tell them that's just the way it works.

Your entire loot system is flawed. Admit it. Fix it. That's the way to right the ship.

Chasing loot is fine but your version of a loot chase is like letting a bunch of angry rabbits out of a crate who proceed to take off in all directions. You grab a blue one hoping it has 1.15 crit multiplier but realize that it's x1.05 mag on a 2 shot shotgun, you grab another and another and another and never find the one you're looking for. This is NOT enjoyable. The whole idea of a loot chase is you have to reward people for their effort. If this doesn't happen eventually they give up.

Give people a chance to hunt specific loot, items that drop in specific events that they can play until they get what they want and move to the next event at the least. If I'm doing a Votan arkfall then maybe I should have a higher chance of a Votan weapon. If I'm doing a raider arkfall then FRC or VBI. Give me some way to chart my course versus casting me out in an ocean to hope I get where I am going.

You want me to spend money? Give me a reason. My wife and I have a lot of disposable income but we spend it on games where we get value for our money. Sadly we haven't spent real money on Defiance in months.

Baines
08-05-2014, 07:25 PM
New player still but I can offer my reason for not buying anything from your store. YOUR PRICES ARE INSANE.

Seriously, Id feel like a dummy if I'd buy anything at the price levels you've set. With more moderate prices I'd have shown my support like I have in other F2P games. This way, Ill just play your game until I hit a ceiling and then say good bye.

A new player myself, and I have the same opinion. Every time I'm tempted to spend money on Defiance, I'm stopped cold by the prices charged. A few basic utility improvements for a single character costs more than a good new game. I have a similar issue with the DLC, which seems overpriced for its limited content, without even a sweetener of "free" Bits to encourage buyers.

This is all made worse because I just recently left Firefall for Defiance after Red 5 abandoned the things that made that game interesting, as they felt (right before official release) turning the game into a generic mass market MMO would be more profitable. I'd wanted a new mass multiplayer gun game to play, that I might want to spend money on, but your pricing choices bounces that idea right out of my head.

Chocolatelover67
08-05-2014, 10:24 PM
IT would be a whole lot worse if Defiance were owned by a company like that one beginning with E and A....... They love taking your money for lots of random things.

Project D
08-06-2014, 11:54 PM
What is with game devs punishing the player base and trying to make it sound like they're doing us a favor?

Our priority is to make Defiance the best game possible, and after reviewing the data we see fewer players purchasing lockboxes with both our in-game currency and Bits. And as we dig through this data from the past 2 months we realize the mistake we made: our introduction of essentially unlimited rarity upgrades removed the item chase from the game for many of our players.

This is change is not solely about revenue – but at same time we make no secret about it: Defiance is a business – and to be a successful business we need to ensure that our gameplay systems are fun and that they encourage long term play and enjoyment. While not all players may agree with this change, we hope you appreciate our transparency in communicating the rationale behind it. You have asked for us to be upfront with you about the reasons for changes; this is an example of us doing so.

*sigh* I'm going to make this very plain and simple for you. I was planning on buying some credit so I could buy a few outfits I've been eyeing, as soon as my paycheck lands. Then I found out earlier today about "encryption." No more money for you. My wallet is closed.

Now, the sheer cost in arkforge to upgrade orange weapons (holy CRAP!) has made these top tier weapons utterly useless for me in my lower levels. I outlevel them rapidly, and simply cannot afford to upgrade their ratings so constantly. It made sense for me to simply hold off, and upgrade my lower rarity weapons as I level, and swap them out as something flat-out better came along. There was plenty of item chase for me. When I reached endgame, and had weapons I'm really happy with, I intended to upgrade their rarity to orange to sort of cap off my journey. I was actually really looking forward to it. Major symbolic event for me, and all that.

I'm sorry, but this is a load of crap. You had me a game mechanic, I make it work for me, I grow to enjoy it, then you slap my hands and say, "No, monkey! You no play! Bad monkey!" and take the majority of it away from me.

Well, screw you too. Those outfits? I can live without them. The arkforge packs I intended to buy to bolster my supply? You can forget that, too. I'm not spending another penny of my (ridiculously) hard-earned money on a game that continuously punishes me for having the audacity of playing it. And I *KNOW* I'm not the only one to feel this way. Every person I know that plays feels the exact same about this, Warmaster, a lot of the changes made lately. And I can promise you, you're going to lose a lot of revenue from all of us that are displeased. I would not at all be surprised to find out that you lose a lot more than you were before.

Seriously...I'm a customization junkie. I'd spend way too much money on outfits and vehicles and sword colors and the like. (hell, I went out of my way to track down the Ultimate Edition of the frigging game, and drove clear up into the Mount Tam area to buy it. No joke) But my ability to hold a grudge is *way* stronger than any desire to spend more money on this game. If I can hold a seven-year grudge against Blizzard for stealing money from me, and maintain a grudge against NCSoft for what it did to Paragon Studios, a grudge against you guys is child's play. And I know I'm not the only one. So go on, keep trying us. See where it gets you.

At least when Perfect World gouges us on Star Trek Online I feel like I've at least been kissed first...

Project D
08-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Simply put:

1: Lockbox loot quality is too random to pay real money for.
2: Your prices are too expensive for what you're giving.
3: Your RNG is broken. If I am getting 3 of the same type of grenade launcher/shotgun/rocket launcher etc. in one box frequently there is something wrong with your RNG. I bought 20 dollars worth of bits just to see if anything had changed here and it hadn't. I got better loot in the free powertech box from the show code.

This lockbox thing reminds me of Star Trek Online's system but worse. I don't care what people are telling you in your marketing department, you are making some really poor decisions.

Also, I cannot echo this sentiment enough. I've been playing for months, and I don't know that I've ever gotten anything worth keeping out of any lockbox that I've opened. And frequently, I get duplicates of the same garbage item I don't want. Getting the same sawed-off shotgun that I don't give a damn about twice in a row from the same lockbox doesn't add value to the lockbox, it tells me that it is a poor investment of my money, because I'm going to get garbage from it. I don't want to spend my money on garbage. I want at least a decent chance of getting what I want out of it. When the dice roll is consistently against me, I'm not going to sit there, pumping money into the craps table. I'm sorry, Trion, but I don't have a gambling addiction for you to exploit. If you want to raise revenue, if you really want to increase revenues from the game, you need to add value to your product. Does your marketing department understand this concept? Value? It's virtually a day-one lesson in business school. Right now, I see more and more value being removed from the game, and from the consumer product. You're literally making me feel like I'm wasting money by spending it on this game.

RobDaCool
08-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Getting the same sawed-off shotgun that I don't give a damn about twice in a row from the same lockbox doesn't add value to the lockbox.

More often then not I'll get a blue and a green sawed off shotgun, maybe an infector and always, always some sort of grenades. I've not found anything useful in any of those lockedboxes ever since I got past EGO 200

Thorror
08-07-2014, 06:52 PM
This "encryption" idea is just a way for Trion to try and s.c.r.e.w. it's users. I've been playing with blue weapons ever since you couldn't use script and ark salvage to upgrade them because it's like 8 (compared to 20 or 50) for the higher level weapons. Now all I'll get is a purple weapon upgrade. Trion, you will not get another cent, not for this game, not for any future games. You are ripoff artists and should be prosecuted. The amount of hours and $$$ I've already spent should subject you to fraud charges. I'll play the game to the best of my abilities but no more money will ever leave my wallet and end up in yours.

Edit: Change ark forge to ark salvage. and to say FU Trion.

Thorror
08-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Also, I cannot echo this sentiment enough. I've been playing for months, and I don't know that I've ever gotten anything worth keeping out of any lockbox that I've opened. And frequently, I get duplicates of the same garbage item I don't want. Getting the same sawed-off shotgun that I don't give a damn about twice in a row from the same lockbox doesn't add value to the lockbox, it tells me that it is a poor investment of my money, because I'm going to get garbage from it. I don't want to spend my money on garbage. I want at least a decent chance of getting what I want out of it. When the dice roll is consistently against me, I'm not going to sit there, pumping money into the craps table. I'm sorry, Trion, but I don't have a gambling addiction for you to exploit. If you want to raise revenue, if you really want to increase revenues from the game, you need to add value to your product. Does your marketing department understand this concept? Value? It's virtually a day-one lesson in business school. Right now, I see more and more value being removed from the game, and from the consumer product. You're literally making me feel like I'm wasting money by spending it on this game.

No Doubt. Lockboxes are filled with shotguns and sniper rifles. Weapons that were ruined with the enemy scaling. BOOM YOU SURVIVED A HEADSHOT? WHAT WORLD DOES THAT HAPPEN. Stupid Trion.

Nightmare Walkin
08-08-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a semi auto frontier battle rifle with garbage rolls. I usually hate heavy ars but decided to try something new. They have nice damage. I figured since I had plenty of echelon points I would buy the slightly better rolled bio version only to discover it is ninja encrypted under the "can not trade" after forging it from 5000 ego to 5800 ego

Edit: somehow my lower ego toon exact same wpn isnt encrypted

BC001
08-09-2014, 08:25 AM
The encryption does not mean anything to me (except for a slight bonus) since arkforge acquisition is so nerfed that it is impossible to get enough of it any more to keep orange weapons up to date much less promote anything to orange (or any other rarity color for that matter). It is now to the point where even my purple shields and main weapons are falling more and more behind and a green bloodhound I picked up as part of the "buy three things from Defiant Few vendor" pursuit element is the deadliest weapon I have because it is relatively easy to keep close to ego level.

It used to at least be possible to keep up with one or not fall too far behind for a while with two oranges but now orange items might as well be locked to their original ego levels so they are only useful for a short time which is a very sad state of balance.

tentaro
08-09-2014, 11:48 AM
While it seems this might be good for some things... it apparently broke things that were already IN the game before this patch.... my shield which used to be higher capacity has now dropped to 5k..... what the hell? increase my @$$. This just goes to show why you never waste money on a F2P game, they always screw you later. Honestly if it weren't for the fact that I want to play ArcheAge I would chargeback everything I spent in since I started playing..... I am soooo disappointed with not only this the ark forge drops.... I have been through 4 events today and received 0 and from my daily boxes I am now getting 1 or 2 per day...... this is unacceptable!!!!!! I am glad I did this research first about the encryption since I was about to spend more money today to upgrade more stuff. I give up.....every company always says they are trying to make the game fun but they always mess it up sooner or later.

Nexillus
08-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I completely understand that you are a business and are out to make money and profits. However, this last patch well bottom line it has many things that are negative around it. First is the encryption, allowing a single upgrade on an item then it becomes encrypted. This is flawed is so many different aspects, especially with the current system of receiving awards for incursions, arkfalls or missions. I can probably count on two hands the amount of legendary's and maybe 20 or so odd purples I have gotten up to 3000 ego level.

Secondly, this one more so than the first just pisses me off as this now changes the game to a pay to win model which I will not support. The change to arkforge. It seems unless you place the top slots you do not RECEIVE any at all. They were hard enough to get to begin with. I did a 45 minutes incursion and placed 1st and received TWO arkforge... That is a problem. Lets do the math here. 2 arkforge (if you get 1st) for 45 minutes worth of work. Means at most you could do 32 incursions (if they were up 24/7) in a 24 hour period. If you get 1st every time you get a total of 64 arkforge for 24 hours worth of work. It takes 500 to upgrade from purple to orange. If you got 64 a day would take 7.8 days. Lets break that down to more realistic terms. Lets say you play on average 3 hours a day in a week. That would be 4 incursions at most in the 3 hours and receive 8 arkforge if you get 1st place. It would take 62 days to get an upgrade from purple or orange.... Wow... If that isn't pay to win I dont know what is. Not including if you wanted to upgrade the level to your ego level... This new model is not sustainable without paying money and in my book is not acceptable. Your game is only as strong as your playerbase and with this current implentation it is a real good way to loose playerbase and well overall loose business. I think you all need to sit down and reevaluate this last patch before it is too late.

Project D
08-15-2014, 03:34 AM
I'm just gonna leave this right here...

https://i.imgflip.com/b6aqs.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/b6aqs)

Deunan
08-16-2014, 07:16 PM
You're literally making me feel like I'm wasting money by spending it on this game.If you're actually spending money on this game you probably are wasting it. There is very little worth the ROI that you can purchase from the company for this game

Project D
08-17-2014, 05:42 AM
If you're actually spending money on this game you probably are wasting it. There is very little worth the ROI that you can purchase from the company for this game

I don't spend my money on it, not anymore. I bought the game, I bought a couple outfits I wanted, and I don't intend to spend another cent. But that statement you quoted is a hypothetical statement. They make me feel that money spent on lock boxes is money wasted.