PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie question

FatOldManNY
07-29-2014, 04:03 PM
I just downloaded it and started playing the game (or at least, trying to figure it out) a couple of days ago, and I completed the Sniper Ridge quest and got the 1st ATV vehicle. Rode it around that session, it was fine. Logged in the next day, and the v key doesn't get me my vehicle, hasn't since. What did I do wrong? How do i get it back?

Kershoc
07-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Its possible that it got unequipped somehow. Hit L to bring up your loadout and see if there is a vehicle equipped.

FatOldManNY
07-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Hah, that was it, accidentally switched to a 2nd loadout, I'm a dummy, thanks!

fighterpilot04
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Hah, that was it, accidentally switched to a 2nd loadout, I'm a dummy, thanks!

welcome to the game old man. i would like to tell you that you are not a dummy, at least not in my opinion. defiance comes with no instruction manual, a sub-par tutorial, and to a new player even the smallest things seem huge because of in reality there is a lot to learn in this game.

i hope you enjoy your time playing defiance, and i hope you find good people to help you through your journey.

Kanah
07-29-2014, 04:52 PM
welcome to the game old man. i would like to tell you that you are not a dummy, at least not in my opinion. defiance comes with no instruction manual, a sub-par tutorial, and to a new player even the smallest things seem huge because of in reality there is a lot to learn in this game.

i hope you enjoy your time playing defiance, and i hope you find good people to help you through your journey.

I spent my first week always going to loadout to re-equip my weapon every time I picked one up from the floor. It's hold action-key to do everything else in the game, right? So glad I worked that one out!

Perchta
07-29-2014, 04:54 PM
LOL....i did that one as well. I kept thinking there has to be a way to not equip everything I pick up.

Mushbeeguy
07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
I am still appaled at there being no 'instruction' manual, but I have to put in a plug for defiancedata.com the user that developed and runs it has done an outstanding job of collating the information for various user levels and needs. Take a bow Etaew!

FWIW...I too kept losing weapons.. :)

FatOldManNY
07-29-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm enjoying the game, but yeah, having a devil of a time figuring out how things work, and it's another one that seems more designed for console controls than pc.

crazyged
07-30-2014, 01:05 AM
LOL....i did that one as well. I kept thinking there has to be a way to not equip everything I pick up.

Hah! This one makes me laugh. Same thing I did before my addled brain finally figured it out!

FatOldManNY
07-30-2014, 06:31 AM
I still haven't figured out how exactly to pick things up and equip them - it seems to be random whether an item I try to pick up ever shows up in my inventory or not. I picked up a bunch of stims, or so I thought, go through the menus, nada....

I guess half the fun is exploring, but I'd rather that be in the virtual world than in the quirks of the interface! :)

Belle Starr
07-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Defiance players have created several guides to help new players as to various aspects of the game, and I think there is even a beginners guide. I also think there are links on the Defiance Forums to them, but you will have to search for them. If you are on Steam, you can get to many of them from there. :)

Welcome to Defiance, Good Ark Hunting, and HAVE FUN! :D

Oh yeah, some items you pick up if you get close enough (like script and bits), others you have to go over to and press "e" to pick up (like weapons, stims, grenades, and spikes). If you already have the maximum number of stims, grenades or spikes of a certain type in your inventory, they won't show up there, and if your inventory is filled you won't be able to pick up the weapons.

JadedSinn
07-30-2014, 07:06 AM
I still haven't figured out how exactly to pick things up and equip them - it seems to be random whether an item I try to pick up ever shows up in my inventory or not. I picked up a bunch of stims, or so I thought, go through the menus, nada....

I guess half the fun is exploring, but I'd rather that be in the virtual world than in the quirks of the interface! :)

stems found on the gorund and gernades found on the ground are only reloads for exsisting stems and gernades. for the most part u have to find higher grade stems and gernades though random loot at the end of ark falls and missions and coops ect. anything with a rewords screen mostly. and also from lockboxes . with come in 3 forms lockbox level 2 level 3 and level 4 or T2 T3 T4 for short. this can also get you some weapons and shields. that cant be found via loot drops on the ground.

picking up weapons is simple. just press the E key dont hold and vala u have the item in ur invitory.

if u search on the forum here u can also find alot of helpful tips from alot of the pros and vets. to help you learn the game faster, like allready stated theres no much od a tatorial in this game in the ways of starting out but for the most part u can find alot of info here on the forum. if what u seek is not here on the forum. try defiancedata.com there farly good at giveing the info that cant be found here.

and welcome to defiance. a game of games. that every one loves to hate and hates to love :D may your stay be enjoyabul.

if u need help with anythin else. dont be scared to ask here on the forums. someone will allways give a reply. even if some are not all that good someone will atleast try and help if thy can

Deunan
07-30-2014, 12:11 PM
I still haven't figured out how exactly to pick things up and equip them - it seems to be random whether an item I try to pick up ever shows up in my inventory or not. I picked up a bunch of stims, or so I thought, go through the menus, nada....The grenades, stims and spikes you see on the ground are actually just refills as another poster mentioned. They will only refill whatever grenade, stim or spike you have equipped for your loadout. Otherwise you get a small amount of salvage for each one you pick up. Your grenade capacity is capped at 5 while your stim and spike capacities are caped at 10. If you have any space at all in your capacity then the reflll will add 1 to it for each one you pick up.

In general they're referred to as consumables. The easiest way to get them is to go to any non-faction supply vendor that sells weapons. You can get the Common (green) version of any of them there. Occasionally a Rare (blue) one will be available as one of the special sales items.

There is a New Player Guide (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=196) available at DefianceData.com which you may find helpful.