PDA

View Full Version : Players on the hedge for buying, read this and ignore the QQ threads for now.

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Trion did a fantastic job and delivered a great shooter.

First off, all these threads popping up that are saying the game has little content need to tone it down because not only is it negative to our community but will hurt the population especially for people who are coming to these forums to consider buying the game. I bet there are a TON of possible players hedging right now about whether or not to join us.

Ok, for all of those gamers on the hedge for this one, I'll lay it out best I can. So far, I have about 15 hrs of gameplay and have done most of the different activities while still in the beginning parts of the main story.

I've read a few threads on people ending the main story and it varied between 10-25 hrs. HOWEVER, they don't get into detail on the side missions, timed trials, ark events, COOP instances, PVP and the pursuit. If you tie in all these things, you have a game that you can sink your time into for a very long, long time. Think of games like D3, torchlight 2 and borderlands. It's a very similar formula where its a loot driven game at its core but with a hell of a lot more content! It's really what all of us die hard borderlands players were looking for and Trion ****ing delivered!

You get way less content for great single player games that you pay the full price tag for. Take for example, Bioshock Infinite (took about 10 hrs for me, great game btw). It's very story driven and once you've seen the story, it's hard to play it again, at least for me. There should really be no argument over content here. WE GOT A LOT OF CONTENT for the money.

And now for the KICKER, who has ever played a game that ties in with the a TV show. This will be a completely new and refreshing experience for many of us, and this is in itself is a ridiculous amount of content we get to look forward to. REALLY?! HOW ****ING COOL IS THAT?! I know many of you, like me, are going to watch the show. We haven't had a really good sci fi show since Battlestar Galactica which was ages ago. Hopefully, Defiance can live up to those standards. I'm so excited about this aspect of Defiance!

Ok, now for a few general issues that I'd like to address.

My biggest peeve right now is the social aspect of the game. The chat system is non existent so many players feel that they're playing a single player game. I do agree with this to some extent, BUT Trion devs have already addressed this and are planning on patching in a new system for at least the PC players. Not sure how it's working out with console players.

In the meantime, you can do your best to connect yourself with other players because you see lots of players running around in zones. There's also the COOP missions which is similar to instances in other mmos. It's very seamless to jump into these 4 man groups which makes it great and there is never a wait time.

PVP is what I expected it to be. There are balance issues but when is there not for any competitive game out there. I enjoy PvP a lot but only played a few matches to see how it was. I did notice that many use grenade launchers, especially on the smaller maps. Reminded me a lot of Quake, lol. Anyways, this is being addressed already by the devs and hopefully they'll be able to steadily roll out patches to best balance it. I'm sure it'll get there, but with all games, it takes time.

The devs at Trion are really the cream of the crop. I have the most confidence they will make this what we all want it to be.

Anyways, I hope any new possible players reading this will help you in your decision to purchase the game.

TLDR;
CAN WE GIVE THE QQ A BREAK? IT'S ONLY BEEN A DAY AFTER LAUNCH, FFS.

banzai
04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
or u read a less euphoric statement, and decide whats more important to u, simplified console shooter and some minigames + a cheesy story or ur 50 bucks. http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?15223-Impressions-after-a-day-playtime-short-review

Aaricane
04-03-2013, 02:12 PM
If you have any doubt about Trion's handling of Defiance, try out Rift.
You have nothing to worry about....

Sordidulus
04-03-2013, 02:20 PM

First off, all these threads popping up that are saying the game has little content need to tone it down because not only is it negative to our community but will hurt the population especially for people who are coming to these forums to consider buying the game. I bet there are a TON of possible players hedging right now about whether or not to join us.

Ok, for all of those gamers on the hedge for this one, I'll lay it out best I can. So far, I have about 15 hrs of gameplay and have done most of the different activities while still in the beginning parts of the main story.

I've read a few threads on people ending the main story and it varied between 10-25 hrs. HOWEVER, they don't get into detail on the side missions, timed trials, ark events, COOP instances, PVP and the pursuit. If you tie in all these things, you have a game that you can sink your time into for a very long, long time. Think of games like D3, torchlight 2 and borderlands. It's a very similar formula where its a loot driven game at its core but with a hell of a lot more content! It's really what all of us die hard borderlands players were looking for and Trion ****ing delivered!

You get way less content for great single player games that you pay the full price tag for. Take for example, Bioshock Infinite (took about 10 hrs for me, great game btw). It's very story driven and once you've seen the story, it's hard to play it again, at least for me. There should really be no argument over content here. WE GOT A LOT OF CONTENT for the money.

And now for the KICKER, who has ever played a game that ties in with the a TV show. This will be a completely new and refreshing experience for many of us, and this is in itself is a ridiculous amount of content we get to look forward to. REALLY?! HOW ****ING COOL IS THAT?! I know many of you, like me, are going to watch the show. We haven't had a really good sci fi show since Battlestar Galactica which was ages ago. Hopefully, Defiance can live up to those standards. I'm so excited about this aspect of Defiance!

Ok, now for a few general issues that I'd like to address.

My biggest peeve right now is the social aspect of the game. The chat system is non existent so many players feel that they're playing a single player game. I do agree with this to some extent, BUT Trion devs have already addressed this and are planning on patching in a new system for at least the PC players. Not sure how it's working out with console players.

In the meantime, you can do your best to connect yourself with other players because you see lots of players running around in zones. There's also the COOP missions which is similar to instances in other mmos. It's very seamless to jump into these 4 man groups which makes it great and there is never a wait time.

PVP is what I expected it to be. There are balance issues but when is there not for any competitive game out there. I enjoy PvP a lot but only played a few matches to see how it was. I did notice that many use grenade launchers, especially on the smaller maps. Reminded me a lot of Quake, lol. Anyways, this is being addressed already by the devs and hopefully they'll be able to steadily roll out patches to best balance it. I'm sure it'll get there, but with all games, it takes time.

The devs at Trion are really the cream of the crop. I have the most confidence they will make this what we all want it to be.

Anyways, I hope any new possible players reading this will help you in your decision to purchase the game.

TLDR;

So, as a consumer, we shouldnt look at the negative side? I understand that its only a day after launch. However, Blizzard has their games running the day of launch. Rift ran the day of launch. Why should people buy the game, when its a 50/50 chance they may have issues A) downloading B) connecting C) playing. People need to hear about the problems that arise. How else are they suppose to get fixed. I mean congratz on being able to play but others of us cant, FFS.

Alright, so playing this in beta I had a blast. I was really excited when I got the game and it was downloading. Then all of the snags happened. Slow patcher speeds, now I get an error when the game loads.

When you can play the game, it is very enjoyable and if you dont power level you can spend loads of time just messing around.

But telling people to stop QQ. Dude, you cant address an entire community. For someone to spend 12 hours on a storyline. Not too long. Most games usually last around 20 hours, anything less is usually frowned upon at least console side.

StoneColdKiller
04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
or u read a less euphoric statement, and decide whats more important to u, simplified console shooter and some minigames + a cheesy story or ur 50 bucks. http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?15223-Impressions-after-a-day-playtime-short-review

Nothing wrong with console shooters, but yeah the UI for the PC version seems terribly clunky. 6 keys just to sell or refine things? Bleugh.

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:22 PM

I've read your thread.

Please don't spread your cancerous thread in mine as it seems your goal is to drive away players.

Tenbears
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Hey OP. Maybe some people expect certain features in a game when looking to buy an MMO. And believe me, this game lacks many features most common MMO titles have.

So consider all sides of the story, not just the ones you want to hear.

This is a MMOConsole... a new genre I suppose. It isn't the typical MMO people are accustomed to. They deserve to hear all the facts about a game.

This game is "NOT" rift. It's only made by the same company.

In fact, the only think this game has in common with Rift, is the Arks (and this is 99% the same as a rift).

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
But telling people to stop QQ. Dude, you cant address an entire community. For someone to spend 12 hours on a storyline. Not too long. Most games usually last around 20 hours, anything less is usually frowned upon at least console side.

Ummmm...the main story line for now is over. Are you guys all really that blind to see what this game is going to be? It's an MMO following a story driven tv show. You've got to have the IQ of a monkey to think the game is over. That is all I'm trying to address.

Tenbears
04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I've read your thread.

Please don't spread your cancerous thread in mine as it seems your goal is to drive away players.
Or, perhaps to just inform players what they are buying?

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Hey OP. Maybe some people expect certain features in a game when looking to buy an MMO. And believe me, this game lacks many features most common MMO titles have.

So consider all sides of the story, not just the ones you want to hear.

This is a MMOConsole... a new genre I suppose. It isn't the typical MMO people are accustomed to. They deserve to hear all the facts about a game.

This game is "NOT" rift. It's only made by the same company.

In fact, the only think this game has in common with Rift, is the Arks (and this is 99% the same as a rift).

I'd like to believe that our gaming community had the brains to know what they were getting into. It's hard to imagine people that really thought Defiance was even going to be remotely similar to Rift.

JBoneFX
04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
However, Blizzard has their games running the day of launch.

Oh man, how many Blizzard titles have you played? I wouldn't call their severs 'running' at all. Maybe rolling like a lifeless corpse down a steep hill...on fire...

That company, even though they put out great games, has the WORST launch record on the planet. Well okay, maybe 2nd to Funcom's Conan, but point made.

Delta
04-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I love this thread! Game is great and a lot of fun! I recommend it to every who comes into my game store, FYI I manage a local game store in my town. I am pushing for my Defiance sales because I find it amazing!

I would like for some of the QQ'ers to think for a moment. You buy a game for $60.00 right? Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, Gears of War, Halo 3, Halo 4, Even Skyrim, or Oblivion. You get (MAIN STORY QUESTS ONLY, NO SIDES OR EXTRAS) like 4-8 hours of straight game play tops. Then you add in some side quests and junk you get maybe 15-20 (with the exception of Skyrim).

NOW DEFIANCE- Main Story- 8-20 hours, side quests could add maybe 50+? Pursuits (perfecting) maybe 20+ PvP (which is very diverse (freight, water, observatory, OPEN WORLD SHADOW WARS, with more to come) gives a good 20+ hours of fun (at least to me), then co-op missions 10+ hours, then trading, modding, arkfalls 40-50+ hours. The game has a llloooottt to do in it!

NEXT time you think about complaining how story mode took 1 day straight, go sit and play Modern Warfare 1-3 and beat them in same time. Difference is Defiance is $60.00 and gives 100+ (easily) hours of gameplay (if you do everything) and Call of duty is 180 for all 3 (new)

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Oh man, how many Blizzard titles have you played? I wouldn't call their severs 'running' at all. Maybe rolling like a lifeless corpse down a steep hill...on fire...

I was there from day one of wow. I remember it all too well and you couldn't have described it any better.

Solo
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Great post bro +1

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
NEXT time you think about complaining how story mode took 1 day straight, go sit and play Modern Warfare 1-3 and beat them in same time. Difference is Defiance is $60.00 and gives 100+ (easily) hours of gameplay (if you do everything) and Call of duty is 180 for all 3 (new)

It's really beyond me how people are overlooking the connection with the show. You know Trion has a lot of goodies to roll out as the tv show progresses. It seems many can't look at the big picture and it makes me sad.

banzai
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
I've read your thread.

well i think its about informing people. i would be fine with this game if i knew i am buying a oversimplified console coop shooter and not the new mmo from Trion.

Oster
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
.... Blizzard has their games running the day of launch. Rift ran the day of launch....

Somebody didn't play Diablo 3 or WoW.

Also Rift ran the day of the launch, but by peak hours the servers had come down twice and once more after that for quick patches/restarts.

Caios
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM

You can't even spell "you" properly, therefore your argument is invalid.

Nexos_Arc
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
.... Blizzard has their games running the day of launch.

LOL, I pre-ordered D3 and even considered taking 1-2 days off work at launch. happy I did not, bc ppl could not connect for a few days! also D3 is crap imho, first playthrough is fun, after that ... oh well.

Defiance is a solid 7 fot me, with lots of potential. Gameplay is fun. Errors need fixing (120hz screen crash, settings not saving, guns in "slot-add" disappearing when entering instances, ...) and communication needs to improve (talked to no1, seen no1 talking ....).

banzai
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
You can't even spell "you" properly, therefore your argument is invalid.

therefore u have to learn a lot about concept of argument.

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
well i think its about informing people. i would be fine with this game if i knew i am buying a oversimplified console coop shooter and not the new mmo from Trion.

I am informing...Your point?

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Yo, what's your problem. I'm informing others what I experienced. You have your opinion, I have mine, let's leave it at that.

Delta
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
It's really beyond me how people are overlooking the connection with the show. You know Trion has a lot of goodies to roll out as the tv show progresses. It seems many can't look at the big picture and it makes me sad.

Agreed, I unfortunately over look that to, but I forget about the future and still LOVE THE GAME SO MUCH! lol so looking into the future is a huge plus to me!

banzai
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
you called my opinion cancerous, didnt u?

ten4
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Hope OP and others like him/her is getting paid to defend this mess.

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
you called my opinion cancerous, didnt u?

Yes because it is cancerous to my thread.

Starskins
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
The OP is right... There will be always a bunch of ****** QQers. I'm personally having a blast with the game.

+1

Starskins
04-03-2013, 03:02 PM
The OP is still right, you are cancerous to many thread banzai, why don't you just leave?

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Nah, I'm enjoying the game so I'll defend it. Lets see which side of the fence you'll be on after a month or two.

Starskins
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Are you paid to make assumptions like that? lol , ok enough with the kiddos, I'm back to the game! Don't slam the door on your way out.

stormtrooper
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
What's with all the hate for Blizzard launches? They do their best. They have millions of people who are ready to invade their servers on release. That's a whole different world to a group of a couple of thousand people including myself who are intrigued by a third person shooter with multiplayer elements but have no previous interest in the story (like Warcraft 3 to World of Warcraft).

Tigerblood
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
What's with all the hate for Blizzard launches? They do their best. They have millions of people who are ready to invade their servers on release. That's a whole different world to a group of a couple of thousand people including myself who are intrigued by a third person shooter with multiplayer elements but have no previous interest in the story (like Warcraft 3 to World of Warcraft).

I don't think it's hate. Just the comparison that Trions launches have been much smoother since blizzard kind of set the bar for mmo's in general. You have to admit though, Blizzard launches weren't what we would call "smooth." I love blizzard as much as I love Trion. They're both fantastic developers.

banzai
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
enjoying reading the forum while i am in the office and enjoying spreading the word about this game, rly not enough information for people who thinking about buying this. now, why are u here?

Sordidulus
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Somebody didn't play Diablo 3 or WoW.

Also Rift ran the day of the launch, but by peak hours the servers had come down twice and once more after that for quick patches/restarts.

Alright you got me on Diablo. But the past 4 exp have had decent launches. Im not talking about the lag you get from all of the ******s trying to do the same quest. Atleast they are in game.

Sordidulus
04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
The OP is right... There will be always a bunch of ****** QQers. I'm personally having a blast with the game.

+1

So you can play. Congrats. I guess the launch went flawless. Oh wait. Lets go look at the forums!

Landshark
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
So, as a consumer, we shouldnt look at the negative side? I understand that its only a day after launch. However, Blizzard has their games running the day of launch. Rift ran the day of launch. Why should people buy the game, when its a 50/50 chance they may have issues A) downloading B) connecting C) playing. People need to hear about the problems that arise. How else are they suppose to get fixed. I mean congratz on being able to play but others of us cant, FFS.

Alright, so playing this in beta I had a blast. I was really excited when I got the game and it was downloading. Then all of the snags happened. Slow patcher speeds, now I get an error when the game loads.

When you can play the game, it is very enjoyable and if you dont power level you can spend loads of time just messing around.

50/50 chance of being able to download, connect or play? Where are you getting these numbers? This would suggest that 50% of the playerbase currently cannot play the game, which 100% entirely not true.

SteveMND
04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I'd like to believe that our gaming community had the brains to know what they were getting into.

Oh my god, you are precious. Don't ever change!

But seriously, you have somewhat of a drastically optimistic opinion of the average gamer. Half of them can't even put together a coherent sentence, much less make an informed decision about something.

Speaking of which...

I'm with a lot of others who have not been particularly impressed with the game so far; I only give the game maybe a 5 out of 10 due to the bugs, unresolved issues from Alpha and Beta, etc.. But that said, it's not that hard for someone to read the forum, watch YouTube gameplay, talk to people that have played the game, etc. to get a little more information about it. Maybe a half-hour of poking around Google, tops, and you know pretty much exactly what you are getting into.

A counterargument might be if one pre-ordered it in anticipation of a particular type of game, but, well, you roll the dice and take your chances. That's part of the risk when buying anything sight-unseen instead of waiting to see what it actually ends up as.

Oster
04-03-2013, 03:31 PM

It's not "hate", simply stating that they have run into their fair share of launch problems as well. They also have less platforms to worry about and a lot more employees for the ones they do have to worry about.

And also, if you think there are only a couple of thousand people playing the game (even on just one of the platforms), you might want to go back and recheck your math.

Voidfox
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Nothing wrong with console shooters, but yeah the UI for the PC version seems terribly clunky. 6 keys just to sell or refine things? Bleugh.

The UI is my biggest complaint.

Karazykid
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
The *** kissing threads are just as bad as the crying threads. Nothing ever gets fixed in a game when all you have is people saying how wonderful everything is. Right now a lot of people are having trouble even playing the game due to critical errors or spawning in but the game lagging so they can't even move. But let's just ignore that and say how great the game is.

Obviously we think the game is good or we wouldn't even care about the bad parts. If the game was crap it would have just been returned already and nobody would bother posting anything. We just want to see the broken stuff fixed to fully enjoy the game instead of having fun around troubles.

ZombehSlaughter
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
However, Blizzard has their games running the day of launch.

See Diablo 3. Error 37.

Trollzarro
04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
The game is quite enjoyable. If you expected a flawless launch than you're re~****. MMOs expand over time to become what they are. WoW didn't get to where it is/was overnight. DCUO has come a LONG way after 2 years. If you don't like the game because of a few bugs then you're missing out. Bugs like the ones people are experiencing can be fixed. Do you really believe that Trion is happy about these errors and hopes that player base gets more negative, irrational, and idiotic like "banzai?"

Is the game perfect? No. Find me a MMO that is from day one. Quit b**ching about trivial things like the game isn't long enough. You're dumb for saying those words.

All in all, the game has been out for two days. QQ and find something better to do with your time.

AVAVA
04-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Perhaps I am just one of the lucky ones, but I am enjoying my $100 game! I wish I could get my pre-order extras to show up NOW but I am sure they will be worth the wait. With that said, in my opinion, the game was not ready for launch... however, I also consider the pressure the folks at Trion are dealing with. Not only are they launching a multi-platform game but they were glued to a deadline dictated by the driving force of the game... the TV SERIES! If many of the issues everyone is dealing with are not resolved by the time the show airs, I imagine Trion is in REAL trouble beyond the diatribe of "fanbois"...

P.S. - If the launch of a video game is what is stressing you out... brother, life is good!

Elandriel
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM

TLDR;

Do you realize that the reason for your thread, the reason why you even had the desire to make it, points to opposite of what you are saying.
If this game was so wonderful, there would not be so many negative threads for your to even think about making this one.

Or course, it's a launch of a new MMO and that means there are a lot of unhappy players writing their opinions on official forum. Believe it or not, their (our) opinion and effort has more chance to improve things in this game than your "everything is good in land of milk and honey" philosophy.

swimmy
04-03-2013, 11:56 PM

So you want people to lie? Sorry thats not how it works. People aren't going to intentionally "protect the community" and to beef up sales.

What a weird thing to demand. Stop talking bad about the game only good reviews.