PDA

View Full Version : Encryption is worse than I ever imagined (PTS experience)

Alexri
07-31-2014, 03:18 AM
When I first heard about encryption, I didn't care too much. While I knew it would be very bad for players who don't have their perfect weapons, the fact that I have that on my char made it hard to get personally involved in the discussion.

Then I got to experience the system first hand on PTS.

Man, that feeling of complete and utter dread you experience when you log in and see months worth of greens and blues that you kept around to eventually upgrade that are now utterly useless is just indescribable. It's like someone just took a **** on your work over the last few months and there's nothing you can do about it.

But it gets worse.

Part of the new PTS bonus system is that you get a lot of loot boxes and stuff, including those new rep boxes that will be sold in the bit store. Those boxes award 100 rep with a faction and a chance at something extra, which can range from a faction lock box to a caeruleum core (!). We got 3 for each faction on PTS, and of course I went and opened faction lockboxes right away.

And guess what was in one of them! A bio cannoneer hog leg, blue rarity, acc/reload/crit. For those who don't know, Hog Legs are Gunslinger DLC variants of Tachmag Pulsers, with 5% boost to reload, dmg, and fire rate, and a special reload on low health effect. Having one with bio and cannoneer, and a crit boost as well, means it's a ridiculously good gun that would make anyone who knew what they had just got jump through the roof.

Then I saw it. "Encrypted".

Not only does the new system mean that a blue item can never go beyond purple, but this awesome hog leg can't even be upgraded once! Even though I have a orange bio Hog Leg on my main account and what happens on PTS doesn't really matter, that feeling of getting that awesome gun and realizing it's useless was just truly horrible.

After opening more lockboxes and getting a total of 27 pieces of loot from them, I counted the number of encrypted items. 16, of which 4 were orange and as such naturally always encrypted. Of the encrypted items, there was a bio EEC SMG, a Votan Pulser, and a faction Big Boomer (yes, one of those with damage boost).

All I can say after trying it out is this: If you don't have guns that you're 100% happy with by Monday, you might as well stop playing the game. The utter dread you feel when getting something good and realize it no longer has the ability to become legendary is just too much.

squidgod2000
07-31-2014, 03:23 AM
You know there was a time when you couldn't upgrade the rarity of items at all and were stuck with what you got.

We survived.

RAGEFIGHTER
07-31-2014, 03:29 AM
trion curse you delete green n blue n white items from loot then !!!

Alexri
07-31-2014, 03:30 AM
You know there was a time when you couldn't upgrade the rarity of items at all and were stuck with what you got.

We survived.

There was a time where there was no electricity in the world. People survived.

That doesn't mean that removing electricity from modern day society is a good idea.

Once you introduce something, taking it away will have a very different effect than not putting it in to begin with.

Psyclown
07-31-2014, 03:52 AM
Man, that feeling of complete and utter dread you experience when you log in and see months worth of greens and blues that you kept around to eventually upgrade that are now utterly useless is just indescribable. It's like someone just took a **** on your work over the last few months and there's nothing you can do about it.

Ok, I just might misunderstand what you really mean, so I'd like a clear answer. I'm not here to discuss about your opinion, I just want facts.
I never tried the test servers, so I don't know if you can keep your character's gear from a previous session or not.

I read something there : Introducing Silicon's Valley encrypted items (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items/)

All of your weapons and shields of epic or lower tiers will be considered unencrypted. We decided against retroactively setting all rarity-upgraded weapons and shields already in the game as encrypted because that measure felt very punitive to us as players and that isnít the purpose of this new mechanic.

So, by "utterly useless", you mean those items were set to "crypted" (so then limited to 1 single rarity upgrade) or, that you couldn't possibly afford the time to grind arkforge in order to upgrade their rarity up to Oj?

I still have a bunch of promising 'greens' and 'blues', and evenif I have quite a good set of OJs, I don't have any 'perfect' ones, they're just 'nice'...
So far, I didn't feel much concerned about "encrypted" loots, but your post made me wonder, you know, "ninja-cryption, really ???"

Pandur
07-31-2014, 04:01 AM

We survived.

True, but generally it's perceived much worse if something gets implemented and removed than if it never gets implemented.

No one would have missed the upgrade if they never implemented it, but money got into the way of good judgement and now they're just making it worse.

Pandur
07-31-2014, 04:05 AM
Ok, I just might misunderstand what you really mean, so I'd like a clear answer. I'm not here to discuss about your opinion, I just want facts.
I never tried the test servers, so I don't know if you can keep your character's gear from a previous session or not.

I read something there : Introducing Silicon's Valley encrypted items (http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/07/28/introducing-silicon-valleys-encrypted-items/)

So, by "utterly useless", you mean those items were set to "crypted" (so then limited to 1 single rarity upgrade) or, that you couldn't possibly afford the time to grind arkforge in order to upgrade their rarity up to Oj?

I still have a bunch of promising 'greens' and 'blues', and evenif I have quite a good set of OJs, I don't have any 'perfect' ones, they're just 'nice'...
So far, I didn't feel much concerned about "encrypted" loots, but your post made me wonder, you know, "ninja-cryption, really ???"

Well according to the live stream about 80% of purple drops and 50% of the blue drops will be encrypted when you pick them up
meaning you can never upgrade the rarity. Lockboxes are said to have a higher chance at non encrypted stuff.
Encrypted means no upgrade ever at all.(well or more likely until the inevitable remove encryption arkforge options becomes available)

None encrypted Items will only be able to be upgraded once because they become encrypted after the first rarity upgrade.
You should bring the blues and greens you wanna keep up to epic quality before august 5th.

Alexri
07-31-2014, 04:08 AM

You can, and most of us who are on PTS have copies of our characters. Not up to date of course, but close.

Any orange item in your inventory becomes encrypted on first login. Any non-orange item becomes a normal unencrypted item. That means that it has one rarity upgrade in them before it becomes encrypted.

In practice that means that with this patch, any purple items and above will be unaffected, while anny white/green/blue items will become trash as they won't ever be orange capable.

Anything you want to potentially ever get to orange needs to be purple by the time this patch hits.

And yes I confirmed this by upgrading a old blue item. It became purple encrypted.

Marshal Law
07-31-2014, 04:09 AM
Well according to the live stream about 80% of purple drops and 50% of the blue drops will be encrypted when you pick them up
meaning you can never upgrade the rarity. Lockboxes are said to have a higher chance at non encrypted stuff.
Encrypted means no upgrade ever at all.(well or more likely until the inevitable remove encryption arkforge options becomes available)

None encrypted Items will only be able to be upgraded once because they become encrypted after the first rarity upgrade.
You should bring the blues and greens you wanna keep up to epic quality before august 5th.

I would think that this would promote the purchase of lock boxes once again if this is the only real way to get unencrypted guns.

Psyclown
07-31-2014, 04:29 AM

Thanks, that was the piece of info my mind had actually forgotten about... Because that means I will have to make some choices. And forget about some ideas/testing with weps and rolls... So, here we all are finally might be stocking arkforge, even more than before, untill that Dead-line, august 5th...

drackiller
07-31-2014, 04:34 AM
You can, and most of us who are on PTS have copies of our characters. Not up to date of course, but close.

Any orange item in your inventory becomes encrypted on first login. Any non-orange item becomes a normal unencrypted item. That means that it has one rarity upgrade in them before it becomes encrypted.

In practice that means that with this patch, any purple items and above will be unaffected, while anny white/green/blue items will become trash as they won't ever be orange capable.

Anything you want to potentially ever get to orange needs to be purple by the time this patch hits.

And yes I confirmed this by upgrading a old blue item. It became purple encrypted.

I can vouch for this, just been there and ouch...none of our current equipment will be encrypted, but none can be upgraded more than one time.

And the lockboxes sucx big time, most of the items you get are encrypted be them green blue or purple...

Ruinne
07-31-2014, 04:35 AM
As much as the idea of implementing something and then nerfing it into the mud leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. Does anyone really think that upgrading rarity was a good idea? Of course, making oranges so easy to attain in the first place was a bad idea.

The old fart from MMO land in me remembers when purples were epic. I know that wouldn't work in RNG loot grinders like this one. There are terrible oranges in this game, as hard to imagine as that is.

But I can dream, can't I?

duction
07-31-2014, 04:35 AM
What do we spend our arkforge on after the patch?

drackiller
07-31-2014, 04:38 AM

Only very good purples i guess.
Or very good blues that will never be Legendary...

Kanah
07-31-2014, 04:39 AM

Indeed. The next change will be in response to plummeting arkforge sales. So expect something even worse to come.

Ruinne
07-31-2014, 04:41 AM

That's the strange part, if ark forge was going to be the cash cow for the game, nerfing it's capability seems counter productive. Even though, as I've previously stated, I'm not a fan of rarity upgrades.

Maybe this is in preparation to launch a new, deep, engaging, and robust weapon customisation system. One based on questing, drops, ark forge and new weapon skins and models.

HAHAHAHA I almost typed that with a straight face.

drackiller
07-31-2014, 04:42 AM
This will be an hard blow on their AF sales. If they don`t sell now, they wont sell more after this shtako deal.

Instead of doing this, they should have lowerd the drops of AF (like they did) and make the chase harder.
This!? i don`t get it...

duction
07-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Maybe like said above its to pave the way to a new system,

Pandur
07-31-2014, 04:50 AM
That's the strange part, if ark forge was going to be the cash cow for the game, nerfing it's capability seems counter productive. Even though, as I've previously stated, I'm not a fan of rarity upgrades.

Maybe this is in preparation to launch a new, deep, engaging, and robust weapon customisation system. One based on questing, drops, ark forge and new weapon skins and models.

HAHAHAHA I almost typed that with a straight face.

Cash cow didn't work out, need to find new cash cow is my guess.

duction
07-31-2014, 04:53 AM
Cash cow didn't work out, need to find new cash cow is my guess.

Well the arkforge cash cow didn't live for very long at all.

SuchDefiance
07-31-2014, 04:54 AM
Maybe there will be a new use for keycodes, makes sense for decryption and all. I bet you need the amount of keys equal to the EGO rating of the weapon. Keycode capacity, scrip and salvage boost sales would go up. :p

Marshal Law
07-31-2014, 05:17 AM

Lockboxes per the livestream will have the highest chance to drop non-encrypted loot.

Hopefully improved also! ;)

drackiller
07-31-2014, 05:19 AM
Lockboxes per the livestream will have the highest chance to drop non-encrypted loot.

Hopefully improved also! ;)

Or not...don`t be fooled by smooth words.
I`ve been on the PTS and most of the items from lockboxes are encrypted, and the ones that aren`t just plain suck.

Alexri
07-31-2014, 05:40 AM
Does anyone really think that upgrading rarity was a good idea? Of course, making oranges so easy to attain in the first place was a bad idea.

I do. I quit Defiance back around DLC 2 and only came back due to rarity upgrades. Playing the game for months and months without seeing any truly good guns was NOT fun. Rarity upgrades provided new life to the game for me by allowing me to mass farm low rarity items, upgrade them, and hope for the best. It was a lot of work to get the good low rarity items and AF for upgrades, and more often than not they didn't get perfect rolls. Eventually I started getting a few unicorns and it felt GREAT.

Now...meh

ironcladtrash
07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
If they would take the time to fix and remove the broken and functionally useless stats before implementing encryption it wouldn't be so bad.

I am tired of grinding away for hours for garbage. At least with being able to upgrade I had a better chance at finding a decent weapon.

I don't understand how Trick thinks all the stats are fine. When we initially pointed out to them how they broke the shield stats he called us greedy, selfish and we take advantage of players instead of acknowledging the problem.

richardkrainium
07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Well the arkforge cash cow didn't live for very long at all.

they've been trying to milk this cash cow for 2 months now.... turns out it was a bull...lol

Overtkill21
07-31-2014, 07:15 AM
Firstly, let us not be overly dramatic about this “Encryption” nonsense. It is a simpleton’s solution to a problem that we players saw coming a mile away. We even tried to bring the problem and a myriad of good, solid, easy-to-implement solutions to the “devs’” attention and were ignored.

This will only affect the Blue, Green, and White (?? Really?) weapons that you were hoping to upgrade because they had good “starter” stats.

All of our Orange gear will now be “Encrypted” and ever so slightly buffed; +3% DMG (which imo, is completely unnecessary as the enemies are way too easy as is.)

Secondly, and far more importantly, I think they’re just setting us up for the real introduction of a new weapon class – black, cyan, magenta, rainbow with glittery sparkles – whatever it is – I am convinced it is on its way.

Think about it – we will all have Legendary weapons that will be Encrypted and thus unable to be raised to whatever new level of rarity they come up with.

And waddya know, just like that they reintroduce the “chase”.

duction
07-31-2014, 07:30 AM
Yep I can see new stuff coming too.

MAMGRIZZLY
07-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Firstly, let us not be overly dramatic about this “Encryption” nonsense. It is a simpleton’s solution to a problem that we players saw coming a mile away. We even tried to bring the problem and a myriad of good, solid, easy-to-implement solutions to the “devs’” attention and were ignored.

This will only affect the Blue, Green, and White (?? Really?) weapons that you were hoping to upgrade because they had good “starter” stats.

All of our Orange gear will now be “Encrypted” and ever so slightly buffed; +3% DMG (which imo, is completely unnecessary as the enemies are way too easy as is.)

Secondly, and far more importantly, I think they’re just setting us up for the real introduction of a new weapon class – black, cyan, magenta, rainbow with glittery sparkles – whatever it is – I am convinced it is on its way.

Think about it – we will all have Legendary weapons that will be Encrypted and thus unable to be raised to whatever new level of rarity they come up with.

I believe this is exactly where they are headed with this! Why else would the Legendaries, already in our inventory, become Encrypted? They are already the highest RARITY that is CURRENTLY available in-game and therefore could not be upgraded anyways. Decryption available for bits only is the next step. My weapons are fine for the next 40 days.

drackiller
07-31-2014, 07:38 AM
My weapons are fine for the next 40 days.

...our destiny wait for us then...

Pandur
07-31-2014, 07:38 AM

Eh at EGO level 5000+ we need stronger enemies before we need better weapons lol.
Oh yeah trion, fix your scaling system......

Three Dog
07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
As much as the idea of implementing something and then nerfing it into the mud leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. Does anyone really think that upgrading rarity was a good idea? Of course, making oranges so easy to attain in the first place was a bad idea.

The old fart from MMO land in me remembers when purples were epic. I know that wouldn't work in RNG loot grinders like this one. There are terrible oranges in this game, as hard to imagine as that is.

But I can dream, can't I?

Actually, I do think it was a good idea Ruinne. I started playing the game when this was already in effect and the idea to upgrade like that makes perfect sense to me. It did have it`s downside though. For it to be 100% effective you need to have the perfect weapon, rolls and synergies to make the weapon worth upgrading to orange. If you didn`t you were just throwing arkforge away like I did myself on my first character because I truly did not understand the upgrade system and imagine trion would pull this kind of trick with arkforge.

Plenty of times I have inspected low ego players to find them having a full legendary loadout and me wondering how much they paid for it and how they will maintain it. I play like a fiend and I still don't have a perfect weapon. I have a few close ones but not worth sinking 500 arkforge into to make it orange, except for one I did just to see what kind of damage difference the weapon would get from going purple to orange.

Since I started playing I have found and received about 20 oranges, perhaps more. But not a single one of them had good rolls on them. I`m talking about getting shotguns with double accuracy rolls along with lobbers and smg`s with reload rolls. All junk not worth investing an arkforge into.

maverick07
07-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered. For those on PTS - was it just OJs in your inventory already that became encrypted or did some purples become encrypted? Thanks :)

hardy83
07-31-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm still fine with this...Though green items being encrypted is pretty dumb. It's just auto scrapped, if it isn't for most people already.

I think a better system would be that Encrypted items let you upgrade to epic quality, but not orange.
It would make greens and blues still useful, but gives you that "chase" you oh so want. lol

TriGlav 2000
07-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Mav, haven't got any natural purples encrypted but I upgraded one double crit blue pulser after 2.200, I got on PTS before 2.200 went live and it becomed encryped. It looked to me like a complete waste of arkforge, even if I got it from the reward PTS code.

Edit: added after 2.200

ironcladtrash
07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Mav, haven't got any natural purples encrypted but I upgraded one double crit blue pulser, I got on PTS before 2.200 went live and it becomed encryped. It looked to me like a complete waste of arkforge, even if I got it from the reward PTS code.

They said nothing currently in our inventory besides legandarys would be encrypted. They better fix this but considering this goes live Monday I doubt it.

Nefarious
07-31-2014, 07:55 PM
You have to keep in mind that down the line that synergies and weapons bonuses will be able to be re-rolled.

So when you do get a unencrypted purple gun to make it into a orange, or just a orange gun as is then that's going to have some major value since you will have a top gun that you can shape to be your own.

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
You have to keep in mind that down the line that synergies and weapons bonuses will be able to be re-rolled.

So when you do get a unencrypted purple gun to make it into a orange, or just a orange gun as is then that's going to have some major value since you will have a top gun that you can shape to be your own.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make it so we can only change ONE roll. OR make it so you can not change any rolls on an Encrypted item.

Iceberg
07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they make it so we can only change ONE roll. OR make it so you can not change any rolls on an Encrypted item.

I am sure they will add something to the store so you can purchase the ability to change more rolls if you wish on the gun. For a low low price of 40 dollars! Act now while supplies last.

reciprocate
07-31-2014, 09:45 PM
There was a time where there was no electricity in the world. People survived.

That doesn't mean that removing electricity from modern day society is a good idea.

Once you introduce something, taking it away will have a very different effect than not putting it in to begin with.

/thread

Seriously, I was there when you couldn't upgrade rarity or EGO level/ranking of weapons. I managed, but after a long hiatus and I came back to play a couple months ago and realized using AF to upgrade weapons like that. I was ecstatic. Now that this system is severely gimping it if not outright just neutering it? It's a painful realization. My interest to enjoying this game dies bit by bit until that fateful patch day (August 5th right?) when everyone gets screwed over by this asinine change.

maverick07
08-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Mav, haven't got any natural purples encrypted but I upgraded one double crit blue pulser, I got on PTS before 2.200 went live and it becomed encryped. It looked to me like a complete waste of arkforge, even if I got it from the reward PTS code.

So you upgraded it before 2.200 and that purple became encrypted when you first logged in with 2.200? I know upgrading it once will make it encrypted now but if you did it before the update...

duction
08-01-2014, 02:09 AM
That's interesting, so it needs to be orange before the patch

Pandur
08-01-2014, 02:13 AM

Well i sure hope this is a bug since it's cleary not what was stated in the announcement.

Wait maybe I read this wrong, did you get it before 2.200 and upgraded after 2.200 ?
In that case it's working as advertised.
If you upgraded it before 2.200 and it became encrypted then it's not as advertised.

If the latter is in fact the case I actually might have to ask for a arkforge refund.

Monkerlotus
08-01-2014, 02:18 AM

A new weapon rarity would induce a violent gun toting reaction in me towards Trion. :(

drackiller
08-01-2014, 03:04 AM
That's interesting, so it needs to be orange before the patch

I think not, i was there yesterday and all my previous equipment was not encrytped, they only become encrypted after upgrading.

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Oops wrong thread... My Bad.
Fail gif to follow...

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/giphy1_zpse9f694ef.gif

ateballing
08-01-2014, 04:03 AM

Doesn't being able to re-roll synergies and stats take away some of the "Chase". That is why they decided to implement this encryption system, so they say. Seems to me giving us the option to re-roll anything does that exact same thing.

crazyged
08-01-2014, 04:19 AM
Doesn't being able to re-roll synergies and stats take away some of the "Chase". That is why they decided to implement this encryption system, so they say. Seems to me giving us the option to re-roll anything does that exact same thing.

Nah, rerolls are a chance thing - you could spend tons of arkforge before you got a roll you liked.

That works for Trion.

N3gativeCr33p
08-01-2014, 05:51 AM
I am sure they will add something to the store so you can purchase the ability to change more rolls if you wish on the gun. For a low low price of 40 dollars! Act now while supplies last.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6urkooQEv1qa4ezv.gif

Drusus
08-01-2014, 06:40 AM
I believe this is exactly where they are headed with this! Why else would the Legendaries, already in our inventory, become Encrypted? They are already the highest RARITY that is CURRENTLY available in-game and therefore could not be upgraded anyways. Decryption available for bits only is the next step. My weapons are fine for the next 40 days.

Because everyone would whine at length that they were missing the performance bonus of being Encrypted on a weapon that could not acquire that bonus, what with being top level?

Not all things are nefarious.

There is a lot to find of interest or exception in these changes for many, but I don't think encrypting the oranges is on the list just yet.

Bored Peon
08-01-2014, 11:25 AM
So if all weapons start becoming encrypted then Arkforge becomes as useless as my millions in salvage.

I would ask how anyone could be so stupid to ruin a good feature of the game but this is Trion we are talking about. This game has been 75% disappointment since day 1.

Milkweed
08-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Not only that, apparently on PTS the Encrypted Tag overprints on the Cannot Trade text. So, it's really hard to see either one. According to a Dev response, it will be released live as-is due to it being "unfixable" until they do a client-side patch at a later date.

Sorry, that's LAME.

Here - short thread:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?169758-Patch-2.200-Cannot-Trade-vs.-Encrypted-Tag

ateballing
08-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Nah, rerolls are a chance thing - you could spend tons of arkforge before you got a roll you liked.

That works for Trion.

You can also go through tons of AF trying to take that green weapon to the perfect Legendary. I know cause I spent thousands of AF trying to get a triple Dmg boomer. Obviously that didn't work for trion because they are taking that away. So it would seem to me that it is almost the same thing (take a gun from green to Oj and take a Oj gun and re-roll stats and synergy). They both are a roll of the dice, unless u know something I don't about getting the roll u want when u upgrade a weapon.

N3gativeCr33p
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Not only that, apparently on PTS the Encrypted Tag overprints on the Cannot Trade text. So, it's really hard to see either one. According to a Dev response, it will be released live as-is due to it being "unfixable" until they do a client-side patch at a later date.

Sorry, that's LAME.

Here - short thread:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?169758-Patch-2.200-Cannot-Trade-vs.-Encrypted-Tag

Oh my...

http://www.cooltuna.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/epic_facepalm.jpg

Deunan
08-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Mav, haven't got any natural purples encrypted but I upgraded one double crit blue pulser, I got on PTS before 2.200 went live and it becomed encryped. It looked to me like a complete waste of arkforge, even if I got it from the reward PTS code.Make sure you file a bug report for this. They explicitly said this will not happen when encryption is implemented.

Scapes
08-01-2014, 01:15 PM

To clarify, did you upgrade the rarity of this item before or after Patch 2.200 was deployed on PTS? If after, this is working as intended as rarity upgrade does apply the encryption modifier to equipment.

Quebra Regra
08-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Oh my...

http://www.cooltuna.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/epic_facepalm.jpg

"unfixable"... yup, that about sums the whole dang thing up at this point.

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
To clarify, did you upgrade the rarity of this item before or after Patch 2.200 was deployed on PTS? If after, this is working as intended as rarity upgrade does apply the encryption modifier to equipment.

That's how I thought it was supposed to work too.

TriGlav 2000
08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Yes, I upgraded the gun after.

It looked to me like a complete waste of arkforge, even if I got it from the reward PTS code.
This statement still holds.

Scapes
08-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Yes, I upgraded the gun after.

Thanks for clarifying.

Scapes
08-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Sorry, that's LAME.

Here - short thread:

As mentioned in that thread, we will be fixing this but it isn't worth delaying Silicon Valley over.

Deunan
08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Yes, I upgraded the gun after.That's a relief. The syntax of your post made it a little ambiguous as to whether you only got the gun before or whether you got it and upgraded it before.

Has anyone upgraded a weapon to non-Legendary status before 2.2 was implemented on PTS and can confirm that it doesn't have encryption? I'm downloading the PTS to kick the tires this weekend but I don't have any upgraded weapons that I can check for this.

0XKaRmAxo
08-01-2014, 02:15 PM
That's a relief. The syntax of your post made it a little ambiguous as to whether you only got the gun before or whether you got it and upgraded it before.

Has anyone upgraded a weapon to non-Legendary status before 2.2 was implemented on PTS and can confirm that it doesn't have encryption? I'm downloading the PTS to kick the tires this weekend but I don't have any upgraded weapons that I can check for this.

I can I upgraded a bloodhound and Zagger to epic on PTS before 2.2. They were not encrypted after 2.2 was implemented.

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
That's a relief. The syntax of your post made it a little ambiguous as to whether you only got the gun before or whether you got it and upgraded it before.

Yes I have a few that I upgraded to purp and none are encrypted.
I just upgraded an emc service rifle to purp last night and it was encrypted as a result as expected.

The Mandalorian
08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm cool with encryption,I can assume a lot of people own a legendary weapon.

ConcreteSnake
08-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm cool with encryption,I can assume a lot of people own a legendary weapon.

or a hundred

Deunan
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM
More relief. One more question, although I think I can find this out once I get home and log on to the PTS. Are all faction weapons encrypted now, including any you had before 2.2 was implemented on PTS?

Alexri
08-01-2014, 04:01 PM
As mentioned in that thread, we will be fixing this but it isn't worth delaying Silicon Valley over.

Those 498753465934 other bugs might perhaps tip the scale....

Deunan
08-01-2014, 05:04 PM
More relief. One more question, although I think I can find this out once I get home and log on to the PTS. Are all faction weapons encrypted now, including any you had before 2.2 was implemented on PTS?
I got my answer. Legendary and Epic faction weapons will be encrypted going forward but any Epic ones you already have will not be (until you upgrade them to Legendary).

ironcladtrash
08-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Glad to know our current inventory is fine.

I got my answer. Legendary and Epic faction weapons will be encrypted going forward but any Epic ones you already have will not be (until you upgrade them to Legendary).

Do you know if this applies to all epics you get from faction lock boxes too?

Deunan
08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Do you know if this applies to all epics you get from faction lock boxes too?Any Epics you got prior to 2.2 are not going to have encryption applied to them. It is only retroactive for Legendary gear.

ironcladtrash
08-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Any Epics you got prior to 2.2 are not going to have encryption applied to them. It is only retroactive for Legendary gear.

Sorry I meant are the epics you buy directly from the faction vendor the only ones always encrypted? If I get a purple from a faction rep lockbox once this goes live is it always encrypted or is there a chance it won't be and I can upgrade it to legendary?

Alastar
08-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Not only does this not encourage me to buy lockboxes but gives me even more reason to stay away from defiance. Not that I need a reason to stay away these days anyway XD

JEMINAI
08-01-2014, 06:39 PM
this does sound like them stemming their own flow of bit store purchases....
true we only recently were given the ability to upgrade rarity but for the most part its been about bit purchases.
expect more adjustments to loot and modding. they are trying to find the optimal method of revenue. hopefully it doesnt remain so blatant

"back in my day" all the mods we could get were run-n-gun and brutal.

Z0mb1E
08-01-2014, 09:36 PM
this does sound like them stemming their own flow of bit store purchases....
true we only recently were given the ability to upgrade rarity but for the most part its been about bit purchases.
expect more adjustments to loot and modding. they are trying to find the optimal method of revenue. hopefully it doesnt remain so blatant

"back in my day" all the mods we could get were run-n-gun and brutal.

It may make sense however, first off, it puts another layer of awful RNG between us and our loot (and they know we LOVE US SUM RNGZ K) but if they in fact add the ability to re-roll rarity bonuses, this may make sense, it does seriously stem the flow of easily upgradeable greens and blues, and I'll be spending AF if I can re-roll my bonuses, wont be buying any from ye old bit store but I'll spend my AF on that nonetheless, oh and I won't buy boxes either but why would you buy boxes, we have plenty of currencies to buy that.

superstorm
08-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Then I saw it. "Encrypted".

Not only does the new system mean that a blue item can never go beyond purple, but this awesome hog leg can't even be upgraded once! Even though I have a orange bio Hog Leg on my main account and what happens on PTS doesn't really matter, that feeling of getting that awesome gun and realizing it's useless was just truly horrible.
Everything which is not orange is useless for you?
Personally I can play with blue (and even green) items if they're good enough.
"Awesome gun" cannot be "useless".

duction
08-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Id buy bits to re roll separate bonus's

Tgreen
08-02-2014, 02:04 AM

I'm cool with encryption. Too much rides on getting one of the two the "10% EGO recharge" purple boni either way (on critical kill for solo play, on reload for TL10 group stuff and eg. Detonators).
Everything without it is a lot less awesome and useful, so upgrading random blues to first not roll any ****ty purple stats is a huge sink for arktech.

What bothers me with itemization in the game - and not just since now, but always has - is reputation vendor items that are simply put utter and total trash. The new Paradise and Chimera vendors sell items that take a lot of time to get, but their stats are horrible, especially for the price.

Because guess what ... the purple bonus and a fitting nano effect is what really sets useful items apart from usless ones. The orange roll will almost always be useful, since there is comparably little effective difference between eg. 10% rate of fire and 10% increased damage. This is something that you might want to remember when discussing the new encryption feature.
For me personally all the change does is that my guns now deal a tiny bit more damage and that's it.

drackiller
08-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Show me your "AWESOME" guns please...and i`ll show you mine!?

alienstookmybeer
08-02-2014, 07:17 AM

You only looked at the directly purchasable weapons with set stats and not the randomized ones from the lockboxes (like ironclad asked)?

Keep in mind that the directly purchasable ones like the epic Frontier Saw with the purple melee damage on self-revive also have different versions (i.e. that saw only comes with bio nano at level 3600 and has no nano at level 4000 - I might have that flipped) depending on the weapon's level when bought (which is directly related to the player's ego level). Is it possible that some versions do not have the encryption?

Alexri
08-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I've been playing this game for over a year. I've been hard at work getting good loot since the beginning, and had to completely redo my inventory several times due to changes. At this point I have good versions of any weapon I want a good version of, so yes, it has to be orange in order to compete with what I have.

If I had a new character or had just started playing the game, I would have used that Hog Leg to death. However in order for anything to be good now, yes, it has to be orange, because I likely already have an orange version of it.

What encryption does is two things: make it practically impossible for me to ever get a gun upgrade ever again, and make it practically impossible for people who don't have good guns to catch up to those who do.

And how did I get good guns? Farming certain locations in the game that net you 50-100 green-purple items per 15 minutes, and upgrading them. Opening a lockbox now and then will never be able to compete with that system, and I know that, because that system is the one that was in place for the first year I played this game.

superstorm
08-03-2014, 03:01 AM
I've been playing this game for over a year. I've been hard at work getting good loot since the beginning, and had to completely redo my inventory several times due to changes. At this point I have good versions of any weapon I want a good version of, so yes, it has to be orange in order to compete with what I have.
I have a solution for you. Buy as many arkforges as you need to upgrade all your arsenal to purple now. :)