PDA

View Full Version : Silicon Valley actual size.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 01:44 PM
Here it is.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-07-31_00019_zpsdb061c65.jpg

Prin
07-31-2014, 01:47 PM
How do we get there? I don't see a bridge.

Smiit
07-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Doesnt look like the size of the marin area to me

Overtkill21
07-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Water Temple? Can we expect the Zorra to be there?

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
You port there from where you last saw Von Bach In SF.

Yea Smiit, I never knew Marin was so small.

Milkweed
07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
How do we get there? I don't see a bridge.

It's instanced. Completely separate from the rest of the map. It's own zone chat, can't view the rest of the map to see if you're missing out on an arkfall or anything. So another disapointment, IMHO. Dialing it in.

Overtkill21
07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
It's instanced. Completely separate from the rest of the map. It's own zone chat, can't view the rest of the map to see if you're missing out on an arkfall or anything. So another disapointment, IMHO. Dialing it in.

What????

When you're in Silicon Valley you can't see the rest of the map?

What kind of freakin' Trion sense....

RAGEFIGHTER
07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
looks like one street 3 houses i vuldnt even call it village :) but well i cant wait when finaly i can get in to it

Prin
What in the world...

Wow. I feel let down. Also, it'll just end up being one more thing to be dc'd from.

RAGEFIGHTER
Here it is.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-07-31_00019_zpsdb061c65.jpg

by the way tnx for screen bonehead :)

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 02:01 PM
What????

When you're in Silicon Valley you can't see the rest of the map?

What kind of freakin' Trion sense....

Technically you can see the map. You can see I have a contract open in SF. You just can't see what's going on up there regarding incursions, arkfalls, etc...

Cavadus
07-31-2014, 02:08 PM
Very disappointing that it's just an instance and not contiguous to the rest of the world map. Very, very lazy implementation.

Milkweed
07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Technically you can see the map. You can see I have a contract open in SF. You just can't see what's going on up there regarding incursions, arkfalls, etc...

Right that's what I was trying to point out...so we can't know if we're missing out on incursions, etc.

Also zone chat is limited to SV only, right? Not included in the rest of the "open world"?

Fuzzy
07-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Right that's what I was trying to point out...so we can't know if we're missing out on incursions, etc.

Also zone chat is limited to SV only, right? Not included in the rest of the "open world"?

Limited to SV only, yes.
There is no "global" chat.
Also it says you're in another shard when you are in SV.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM

I'll get back to you on the chat. I don't know for 100% sure that is the case but I think it's totally insulated.

Milkweed
07-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Well I'll be glad to explore a new area but it feels like a very dirty trick to not include the map expansion in the open world. I can't see how any player would have expected it to be "isolated" like this.

*EDIT: no dang pun intended!!

QipQip
07-31-2014, 02:48 PM
People complaining about it being separate from the mainland are ridiculous. The Xbox and PS3 are gasping and wheezing as it is with the sad 512 mb of memory they have. Hell my phone has four times as much RAM as the damn consoles. Sometimes the only way to save a patient is to cut off the dead limbs. Defiance has two cancerous appendages. The Xbox 360 and the PS3. Long term, the only way Defiance will survive is if the console versions die.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Well I'll be glad to explore a new area but it feels like a very dirty trick to not include the map expansion in the open world. I can't see how any player would have expected it to be "isolated" like this.

Well you can't really call it a "map expansion" because it doesn't expand the map. It just provides another, larger instance like any of the other instanced maps.

Milkweed
07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
People complaining about it being separate from the mainland are ridiculous. The Xbox and PS3 are gasping and wheezing as it is with the sad 512 mb of memory they have. Hell my phone has four times as much RAM as the damn consoles. Sometimes the only way to save a patient is to cut off the dead limbs. Defiance has two cancerous appendages. The Xbox 360 and the PS3. Long term, the only way Defiance will survive is if the console versions die.

Wow, I bet you have a lot of friends.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 02:53 PM

I think it has more to do with how poorly the code is optimized for the respective consoles and some problems with the net code more than the consoles themselves. Universally the console players say Defiance is the only game they have issues with.

OttawaREDBLACKS
07-31-2014, 02:57 PM
not at all graphics wise everything was maxed out 2 years ago on the 360 now they try to push it a bit further with alot more freezing then there should be. New consoles should of been released way earlier but they had to squeeze in the profits.

rosetta_cd_29A
07-31-2014, 03:02 PM

Hear, hear !

You know i read Tod Howard saying that micro$oft only wanted to have 256MB and they really had to break balls and say they couldn't have Oblivion as a launch title to get them to spring for 512. He said they had a 512 party after they got the good news !

Somehow FF XIV is still thriving and supporting PS3, but i know they were not planning to forever, especially after adding PS4 support. The servers are all cross-platform too, but they have a stripped down client as the 720p screen shots i've seen were pathetic.

But yeah, on topic, i was a lil surprised at the smallness when i saw the map on the livestream yesterday. Didn't realize it was an instance either, kind of a dirty trick but not a shock. I'm hoping it's a case of quality over quantity !

bigguy
07-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Yup QipQip is obviously very intelligent because of course whatever happens with the expansion it has to be the fault of the consoles.

Dandrielas
07-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Yup QipQip is obviously very intelligent because of course whatever happens with the expansion it has to be the fault of the consoles.

Aren't you PC master race people full of bubbles and sunshine.

Prin
07-31-2014, 03:09 PM
LOL...
PC master race is near!

Roll for initiative.

Iceberg
07-31-2014, 03:10 PM
I am surprised they didn't let everyone purchase this through their store instead of just giving it out for free.

QipQip
07-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Who said anything about the PC Master race? I'm sure Defiance would be great on the PS4 or Xbone but its time to face facts about the old consoles. Pets? Player housing? Bank storage? Auction house? The list could go on and on. Why do you think things that exist in nearly every MMO don't happen in Defiance?

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Aren't you PC master race people full of bubbles and sunshine.

No dude, it's bubbles OF sunshine!

Dandrielas
07-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Who said anything about the PC Master race? I'm sure Defiance would be great on the PS4 or Xbone but its time to face facts about the old consoles. Pets? Player housing? Bank storage? Auction house? The list could go on and on. Why do you think things that exist in nearly every MMO don't happen in Defiance?

You pay for mine, and I'll use it. lolz Otherwise you going to have to accept the fact PS3 and xbox 360 will be here for awhile. Also. FF14 has all those features you mentioned, and it plays on PS3 just fine. :)

Prin
07-31-2014, 03:29 PM
My honest opinion as to why, despite the PS3 problems you state, is because the devs don't know what they're doing. Nothing more; nothing less. Platform isn't the heart of the issue, competency is.

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 03:30 PM

I expected it. A few months back they tryed doing the same thing with San Fansisco but had trouble with it, so it doesn't surprise me that they tried it on a smaller area this time. IF it works for them, be prepared for them to retry it on San Fran.

kgersen
07-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Well I'm glad we're finally getting it, but I have to say:

Maaaan, it sure looks tiny...puny, even...

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 03:35 PM
You pay for mine, and I'll use it. lolz Otherwise you going to have to accept the fact PS3 and xbox 360 will be here for awhile. Also. FF14 has all those features you mentioned, and it plays on PS3 just fine. :)

I agree. Not everyone has the money, or just isn't ready, to shill out money for a new console. Or get a computer that, we all know, needs new software and hardware updates a couple times a year to keep being able to play the games that come out for them.

Belle Starr
07-31-2014, 03:35 PM
I wish there was a way to get there on my own, but I'm desperate to find any new area in Defiance to explore, no matter how small :)

Skerrick
07-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Very dissapointing, I was also unimpressed after watching the twitch stream. Players will just burn through the new content then back to the grind.

Consoles definitely limit the PC version, would be nice to have a PC dedicated version. I have switched to Firefall and after playing for a while the limitations of Defiance become painfully obvious. Firefall is PC only and is very similar to Defiance. It has all those things that players have been asking for (market, pets, motorbikes, upto 20 in a group) and looks beautiful.

After seeing SV I think I will be spending the majority of my play time in Firefall.

Cavadus
07-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Or get a computer that, we all know, needs new software and hardware updates a couple times a year to keep being able to play the games that come out for them.

Umm, a couple times of year :confused:

A gaming PC usually only requires an update or two every other year, if even that. I have an older gaming PC that I built in early 2010. In the entire time it was my primary gaming rig the only upgrade it ever required was a sixty dollar graphics card about a year ago and some additional RAM I did about two years ago.

It's still an absolute champ and runs everything with great graphical quality.

I did, however, recently build a brand new one as the old PC's CPU socket type and graphics interface was quite antiquated but, nonetheless, that sixty dollar GPU update will probably keep it going for another two years.

And software updates? Not sure what you mean there. OS and driver updates are free and take minutes, if even that.

There's only been two real elements advancing in PCs and that's GPUs and additional cores in CPUs. CPU speeds really haven't progressed that much in the past few years as we're approaching a physical scaling limit.

JadedSinn
07-31-2014, 03:42 PM
now now ladys gents and others. we dont need to start calling all us PC users the master race of gameing (( even though if it wasent for computers there would of never been any video games to start with )) anyway. back on topic

the map is small yes. the map is an insdense like a coop map or a pvp map. but its alot biger then them.

the map is semi isalated. via chat. :: i beleave u can still reseave whispers. friend requests. and clan chats and private chats like one the main land. i cant test clan chat becuse my in game toon on well cant get into a clan on the PST long story. wont get into that bug :: anyway. over all its new. its filled with stuff. and if implmented right on the 5th should be well worth the flood of people that are going to be geting into it. and as a teaser. im going to leave a pic behind of trion worlds headqorters in SV with an ark though it. :D enjoy

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=9140684624811

Prin
07-31-2014, 03:46 PM
now now ladys gents and others. we dont need to start calling all us PC users the master race of gameing (( even though if it wasent for computers there would of never been any video games to start with )) anyway. back on topic

the map is small yes. the map is an insdense like a coop map or a pvp map. but its alot biger then them.

the map is semi isalated. via chat. :: i beleave u can still reseave whispers. friend requests. and clan chats and private chats like one the main land. i cant test clan chat becuse my in game toon on well cant get into a clan on the PST long story. wont get into that bug :: anyway. over all its new. its filled with stuff. and if implmented right on the 5th should be well worth the flood of people that are going to be geting into it. and as a teaser. im going to leave a pic behind of trion worlds headqorters in SV with an ark though it. :D enjoy
It just seems a really lazy way to do it.

QipQip
07-31-2014, 03:46 PM
I agree. Not everyone has the money, or just isn't ready, to shill out money for a new console. Or get a computer that, we all know, needs new software and hardware updates a couple times a year to keep being able to play the games that come out for them.This is true, some people cant or wont upgrade. The fact remains that Trion needs to move forward for the game to survive.Out of curiosity I looked up the Xbox360 release date. It was in 2005.Is anyone still using a phone from 2005?

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
It just seems a really lazy way to do it.

I think the guys working their ***** off to bring it live would disagree.

Dandrielas
07-31-2014, 03:49 PM
This is true, some people cant or wont upgrade. The fact remains that Trion needs to move forward for the game to survive.Out of curiosity I looked up the Xbox360 release date. It was in 2005.Is anyone still using a phone from 2005?

You never know. It is always a mistake to assume someone is not using something when in reality there a probably a lot of people that are using it.

Prin
07-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Couldn't care less at this point.

Liquidacid
07-31-2014, 03:52 PM
This is true, some people cant or wont upgrade. The fact remains that Trion needs to move forward for the game to survive.Out of curiosity I looked up the Xbox360 release date. It was in 2005.Is anyone still using a phone from 2005?

no but I still drive a car (Plymouth Roadrunner) that's from 1972... lol

JadedSinn
07-31-2014, 03:52 PM

agreed. after seeing it . i know there working there fingers to the bone trying to finish this befor the 5th.

MadDogTremor
07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Screenshot of that map is from the PTS, correct? If so, maybe the issue with no global chat and not seeing the rest of the worlds emergencies, is due to that being the PTS version of SV? And perhaps once it's open on the regular servers, the global chat will link up and the map as a whole will function normally? Just a theory.

Deunan
07-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Very disappointing that it's just an instance and not contiguous to the rest of the world map. Very, very lazy implementation.Technically everything in the game is an instance except for one phase for each map on each server. It's not a map expansion, it's a land expansion. There's nothing lazy about the implementation. Plenty of MMO's have had land expansions that are cutoff from the core game map. There are MMO's that divide the world into separate zones with isolated maps as well.

Prin
07-31-2014, 04:07 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Screenshot of that map is from the PTS, correct? If so, maybe the issue with no global chat and not seeing the rest of the worlds emergencies, is due to that being the PTS version of SV? And perhaps once it's open on the regular servers, the global chat will link up and the map as a whole will function normally? Just a theory.
If that turns out to be the case, I will happily chow down on a plate of crow.

Deunan
07-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Universally the console players say Defiance is the only game they have issues with.There are plenty of cross platform games that performed poorly on the consoles. Just about every open world cross platform game released by Bethesda had performance issues with the PS3 that took them many months to correct, and Bethesda is a much larger studio with significantly greater resources than Trion.

Deunan
07-31-2014, 04:15 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Screenshot of that map is from the PTS, correct? If so, maybe the issue with no global chat and not seeing the rest of the worlds emergencies, is due to that being the PTS version of SV? And perhaps once it's open on the regular servers, the global chat will link up and the map as a whole will function normally? Just a theory.The PTS version is the same version that goes out to the live servers minus whatever adjustments they make to it based on player feedback and dev observation about what goes on there. If chat isn't global there then it won't be when Silicon Valley goes live unless the devs change that based on feedback, and it's feasible for them to do so. The latter probably isn't true so the former probably doesn't matter.

JadedSinn
07-31-2014, 04:17 PM

other then miner fixes i beleave that the PTS is going to become the standered for what live will see. from what i allready see i dont mind the isolation. it separates the population into 2 parts of the world makeing it so that the server is not over packed with players all flooding into one. much like it separates people logeing in into diffrent shards. u cant see world chat in all the shards if your on a difrent one from every one else.

the new SV map the way i truly look at it is a shard all its own. witch would mean that we shouldnt beable to see the SF shards area or zone chat becuse its a comepleately difrent zone/area

but agine like i allready said. this still leaves private chat. clan chat. and whisper well open for you to beable to do between shards like normel. unless ur not in a clan or have no friends i dont see the separation between them being to much of a problum for most players.

and any newbe that dosnet have friends on there frineds list or a clan i dont beleave should realy be playing in SV till there over ego 1500 anyway. atleast by then thay might beable to hold there own. seeing as SV is most likely going to turn into the 5k players new play ground. and TL10 is going to be the norm down there . (( atleast thats my beleafe ))

on top of that theres planty of stuff to do down in SV one its own. it has a form of incursion called invasion. it has ark falls. emergancys. and everything else SF has. other then the dailys go here and repeat this quests. so . over all its not going to be to bad down there.

Liquidacid
07-31-2014, 04:20 PM
There are plenty of cross platform games that performed poorly on the consoles. Just about every open world cross platform game released by Bethesda had performance issues with the PS3 that took them many months to correct and Bethesda is a much larger studio with significantly greater resources than Trion.

well to be fair, even for the PC, pretty much every game (especially open world ones) Bethesda has released has come with performance issues as well as massive amounts of other problems which took them months to years to correct, if even at all... lol

Cavadus
07-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Technically everything in the game is an instance except for one phase for each map on each server. It's not a map expansion, it's a land expansion. There's nothing lazy about the implementation. Plenty of MMO's have had land expansions that are cutoff from the core game map. There are MMO's that divide the world into separate zones with isolated maps as well.

I'm aware of how the sharding in the game works. Trick did a ride-along with the 47th last year and he let it spill that each Paradise shard can only hold 200 to 250 players.

As far as the division of land, I don't like it any MMO. Unless there's a particularly good reason, like the game takes place on Earth but has playable areas on the moon or Mars or whatever, I really dislike having the land split up in this fashion.

Creating an independent instance for SV was simply the easiest method of integrating new land. I'm not surprised by it. Most of the game's content and items are re-purposed in the same fashion. Very little of what's been added to the game is actually something new.

I prefer one seamless world. A good example of this would be Fallen Earth's sectors one, two, and three. That is what I enjoy the most. If only a developer could make a game world like that but with Defiance's gameplay... t'would be perfect. I'd play that game forever.

JadedSinn
07-31-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm aware of how the sharding in the game works. Trick did a ride-along with the 47th last year and he let it spill that each Paradise shard can only hold 200 to 250 players.

As far as the division of land, I don't like it any MMO. Unless there's a particularly good reason, like the game takes place on Earth but has playable areas on the moon or Mars or whatever, I really dislike having the land split up in this fashion.

Creating an independent instance for SV was the simply the easiest, and laziest, method of integrating new land. It's no surprise that this was the route they chose.

you must of realy hated oblivian. skyrim. fallout3. fallout new vagas. borderlands. borderlands 2. and pritty much any game with involved a loading screen then .

sure there not mmos. but still the consept is farly the same. all the devision is is a loading screen leading to a new area that is not realy connected to the rest.

Deunan
07-31-2014, 04:27 PM
well to be fair, even for the PC, pretty much every game Bethesda has released has come with performance issues as well as massive amounts of other problems which took them months to years to correct, if even at all... lolBethesda open world games are always buggy as hell on release because there are literally thousands of algorithms that would have to be run in terms of the order in which a player did the content to catch all or even most of the bugs. Generally if you play the content in the most predictable way possible you experience the least amount of bugs. What I'm talking about are the stability issues for the PS3 that were pretty consistent with the release of every open world cross platform game from them.

It was so bad for Skyrim that they actually told the PS3 community that they were placing a moratorium on development and release of DLC for the platform until they could get a handle on the stability issues, so while Xbox 360 and PC players were enjoying the release of DLC after DLC, the PS3 players got sidelined and could only read about all the new content that the other 2 platforms were enjoying.

Cavadus
07-31-2014, 04:30 PM
you must of realy hated oblivian. skyrim. fallout3. fallout new vagas. borderlands. borderlands 2. and pritty much any game with involved a loading screen then .

sure there not mmos. but still the consept is farly the same. all the devision is is a loading screen leading to a new area that is not realy connected to the rest.

Just because I have a preference one way or another doesn't mean I automatically hate all other methods.

What's your favorite drink?

And because that's your favorite drink I can assume you automatically hate all other drinks, right?

That's the logic you're employing here. As you can see, it doesn't make any sense. Life is not zero sum.

Anyways, definitely had enough internet stranger debate for the day.

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Universally the console players say Defiance is the only game they have issues with.

If you look at any game forum, you'd see that is said about every game, people have issues with. People on the Mass effect 3 pforums said it of Me 3, people on Skyrim's said it of Skyrim, people on Gta V's said it of Gta V. Heck I saw people say it of the Destiny beta on that forum.

JadedSinn
07-31-2014, 04:38 PM
What's your favorite drink?

Anyways, I'll let the rest of you hash this out and bow out of this thread.

favorate drink : anything but water. and booz :)

to the rest of it. ok !can do! bye ! . have fun ! we'll miss u ! come back agine some time ! tata ! toodels ! chow ! :: waves ::

back on topic now that i derailed it for a moment.

over all the size wont matter. theres planty of content down there to do and planty of things to enjoy. like the gient hills that u can shoot over at full speed boosting with a quade and jump off the other side of into the open air sailing 30ms befor falling back to the earth. and doing it all over agine :D or all the stuff i posted earlyer on a preveus post here

Prin
07-31-2014, 04:40 PM
On one hand I'm annoyed that it's instanced. On the other I'm glad we're finally getting a new place to explore. At the end of the day, I guess I should experience it before I QQ about it. So we'll see; I hope Jaded is right about the content in SV.

JadedSinn
07-31-2014, 04:51 PM
o.o i cant be wrong. iv been playing said content almost all morning with other PTS players. even got to the point where i desided to scale the building next to trions and managed to be the first to the top of it.

u have hmm ill list some of them

new emergancys : cant name them all but theres a small hand full of new ones. such as one called under new managment witch is a 99 onw . and one called protect the crystal or something like that. theres also alot of grid ones.

new incersion : its called invaision or something like that. its like an incersion but insted of doing every emergancy in the area . ur doing 3 majer points where ur pertecting what look like ark fall peaces from bad guys trying to destroy them. and insted of like 5 or 6 like at an ark fall this is a more open area with 3 or 4 of thes things u have to protect all at once. ((simaler to a siege)) but if u fail to protect them u have to fight the badys off from the inside of the area insted of them comeing from the outside. and there numbers or increased.

old/new arkfalls :: thay brought back the old kill the crystal ark falls. that where so rare on the live server that i wanted to beat my head into a wall waiting for them some times. and where missed by a few people hated by others.

new missions : thes didnt go live on the PTS but thy where said to be comeing. dont know when.

new map : the hole map is new. its something to look at exsplore ride around enjoy and have some fun with. theres not much else u cant do there.

new enamys : u get to fight cultests now heres a pic of a female one

http://www.imagesup.net/di-1314068395564.png

thats about all i can think of at the moment. someone else thats been on PTS can add in more.

Prin
07-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the rundown, Jaded.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 05:24 PM
over all the size wont matter. theres planty of content down there to do and planty of things to enjoy.

The only new thing so far is the new incursion. It is an incursion with a small twist so I wouldn't say there is that much to do down there that is new or different from what you do in the rest of the world. You can explore the whole thing in a couple of hours on foot. It is pretty and depending on the story content there might be more to do but for now it's a minor land expansion with 98% the same content as the rest of the map.

hardy83
07-31-2014, 05:30 PM
I ask during the live stream why it was instanced, and their explanation was that they want the maximum amount of people in that zone as much as possible.
I guess on a server everyone is spread out over the map, so I guess this is considered a different "server" so the don't have to worry about half the server population in SF or Mt Tam etc.

I am disappointed it's not on the main map, at least visually, but I understand their reasoning.

Also during the stream, they did say they are hoping to continue going south AND expand upon the existing main map, but didn't give a timeline, obviously.

ALSO, lol, on the PTS I drove the two main roads in the new map and it took me about 3-4 minutes to drive south, then back up north on my low 300 EGO toon with a quad.
There's not much in the middle of the map, a couple things, but the west and east shores have all the stuff, so no, it's not an xpac size map, it's like a mini xpac.

I would still like for them to expand the main map with things like Fort Defiance, Richmond/Berkley and the North West state park.

Terrato137
07-31-2014, 05:37 PM
Also during the stream, they did say they are hoping to continue going south AND expand upon the existing main map, but didn't give a timeline, obviously.

I'd like them to expand some to the north/northwest, and all east.

Liquidacid
07-31-2014, 05:41 PM
I want them to add Vegas... in lore they said it's a prison now so we could have a whole "Escape from New York" Snake Plissken type deal... trench coats and eye patches for everyone!

hardy83
07-31-2014, 05:42 PM
I'd like them to expand some to the north/northwest, and all east.

That's what I said. lol But I looked up the actual areas. The North West is a national park, and past the bay are two cities called Richmond and Berkley.

I REALLY want a full on Urban zone, like downtown SF but like, the size of the SF island. lol
Also a forest area would be awesome too, a ton of trees then a clearing with an arkfall. That's be so awesome.

Lillith Valerian
07-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Life is not zero sum.

Anyways, definitely had enough internet stranger debate for the day.

But isn't the internet all there is to life?

Doesn't everything exist in black-or-white, zero-sum or extreme hyperbole?

That's what a thousand anonymous internet strangers have attempted to pound into me, until my head feels like a couple of drunken monkeys screaming at each other and fighting over a bucket of marbles. You know that feeling I'm talking about, when logic collapses and you feel the irrepressible urge to respond to everything by beating it with a bag of hammers?

Usually I'll solve it by turning the computer off and wandering into the kitchen to peruse ingredients.

Suddenly, cookies.

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 05:56 PM
new emergancys : cant name them all but theres a small hand full of new ones. such as one called under new managment witch is a 99 onw . and one called protect the crystal or something like that. theres also alot of grid ones.

Under new management isn't new.

http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Emergency:Under_New_Management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0w555Ni2cE

Neither are Crystal Clear http://www.defiancedata.com/emergency.php?id=35
or Crystal Cargo http://www.defiancedata.com/emergency.php?id=56

You may want to check out Defiancedata.com since you have obviously missed several emergencies. http://www.defiancedata.com/emergencies.php

Terrato137
07-31-2014, 06:01 PM
That's what I said. lol But I looked up the actual areas.

Oh lol, I didn't do that, and I don't remember what they're called xD

Raico Sansin
07-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Wow it looks like they got you guys again lol. Man I love coming here and laughing at the "updates". Year and a half later and you get a an instanced landmass that's not even 1/3 of the land mass of Marin.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Really pretty sunrise though.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-07-31_00021_zps1cc7b549.jpg

and a couple of really nice cult members.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-07-31_00023_zps134a49bb.jpg
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-07-31_00024_zpse21bb399.jpg

ShawnyBee
07-31-2014, 06:51 PM
[Dandrielas;1576162] Also. FF14 has all those features you mentioned, and it plays on PS3 just fine. :)

When SE re-released FFXIV, they chopped the main 8 maps into 40ish individual areas, so it would run on the ps3. And the only way to see what's going down on other areas is to go there or FFXIV's version of clan chat.

I'm with cool Silicon Valley being a separate instance. Anything to help make sure they don't cause worse performance for people already having stability issue.

hardy83
07-31-2014, 07:15 PM
When SE re-released FFXIV, they chopped the main 8 maps into 40ish individual areas, so it would run on the ps3. And the only way to see what's going down on other areas is to go there or FFXIV's version of clan chat.

I'm with cool Silicon Valley being a separate instance. Anything to help make sure they don't cause worse performance for people already having stability issue.

Lol. Once again, stupidly outdated console hardware is holding a game back.
I can only imagine if they ported this game to PS4/XbOne and abandoned the older consoles, how much better this game would be.

I actually wonder how much better this game would be if it didn't bother with consoles at all. lol

Lillith Valerian
07-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Lol. Once again, stupidly outdated console hardware is holding a game back.
I can only imagine if they ported this game to PS4/XbOne and abandoned the older consoles, how much better this game would be.

I actually wonder how much better this game would be if it didn't bother with consoles at all. lol

'Better' is irrelevant. 'Profitable' is the goal. Hence casting a wider net to fish the console seas. I say this as a peasant who does not belong to the Master Race.

If they ever ported it over to next gen, and the play was dramatically improved, I might consider following. But as far as I know, the difference between PC and console isn't particularly dramatic now. I can't imagine it being much different between PCs and next gen, so...I probably wouldn't bother.

CRIXDA
07-31-2014, 07:34 PM
You PC "Elitists" can't see it, but we poor console troglodites are baring our canines at you.
"Oh, everything would be better without consoles holding us back, like...online checking."
These are VIDEO GAMES, freaks. Get over yourselves already and go outside.
Sweet Lord Jesus on a unicycle. I am glad that I am not that arrogant.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 07:38 PM
we poor console troglodites are baring our canines at you.

Ahmma fearin fuh mah life now...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6112/6338142380_88bbb8d8d2_z.jpg

Iceberg
07-31-2014, 07:41 PM

No, don't be scared here this makes it all better!

http://media.tumblr.com/7176df47d871446022269a75b3b7651e/tumblr_inline_mkf559h2I81qz4rgp.gif

CRIXDA
07-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Don't feed Bonez after midnight, Iceberg - and for heaven's sake don't get him wet!!!!

hardy83
07-31-2014, 07:49 PM
'Better' is irrelevant. 'Profitable' is the goal. Hence casting a wider net to fish the console seas. I say this as a peasant who does not belong to the Master Race.

If they ever ported it over to next gen, and the play was dramatically improved, I might consider following. But as far as I know, the difference between PC and console isn't particularly dramatic now. I can't imagine it being much different between PCs and next gen, so...I probably wouldn't bother.

I just meant technically. Consoles are fine, but this came out when the 360/PS3 were already woefully outdated hardware and, as we can see, can barely handle a proper MMO.
I think having to work within that restriction really held this games design back.
Again, not saying consoles are bad, just that when this game came out, the current consoles were badly oudated. lol
Particularly the RAM. The low ram of the consoles much have REALLY made the developers struggle.

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 07:50 PM
No, don't be scared here this makes it all better!

http://media.tumblr.com/7176df47d871446022269a75b3b7651e/tumblr_inline_mkf559h2I81qz4rgp.gif
Don't feed Bonez after midnight, Iceberg - and for heaven's sake don't get him wet!!!!

Aw but Boney isn't too bad Crix! I have video proof! I can't say the same about all his other Pc buddies in the video, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf5-7L7XANw

Atticus Batman
07-31-2014, 08:00 PM

We aren't at furry vermin, Boney! We are the predators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg2qdTPs3eg

Iceberg
07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
We aren't at furry vermin, Boney! We are the predators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg2qdTPs3eg

What? Someone said predator??

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/146991/2921588-Hot_Toys_Scar_Predator.jpg

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
What? Someone said predator??

He is so handsome when he smiles!

I am definitely in the "whatever blows your hair back" camp as far as comp vs console is concerned.

Iceberg
07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
He is so handsome when he smiles!

Well, he is a prince!

UncleSpider77
07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Yay new area!

BlackTalons
07-31-2014, 08:25 PM
I don't mind the separate instance or the size of the new area. What bothers me is the separate map images and lack of info between them. You can't go to SV via fast travel and you have no idea what's happening there. People will have to pick a zone and when the novelty dies out the valley will end up deserted, since the mainland has more features.

hardy83
07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
I don't mind the separate instance or the size of the new area. What bothers me is the separate map images and lack of info between them. You can't go to SV via fast travel and you have no idea what's happening there. People will have to pick a zone and when the novelty dies out the valley will end up deserted, since the mainland has more features.

Rift has that problem too. SL and the original map are separate and you have no idea what's going on there until you go to that map.
A limitation of the hardware I suppose, but yes it would be smart if you can see what's going on with each "zone" no matter where you are.

Roez
07-31-2014, 08:53 PM
The new map is a slight let down. If I wasn't expecting it next week, and it had a few months, it would be different. The land mass itself is interesting, and there are a couple nice potential conflict site areas. The content associated with these when it's put in, will add variety.

Right now, the new emergencies depend on how you like the mob's AI, which I think is another unfinished element; very lacking and unpolished. A lot of the AI is copy pasta, so that's part of it. The other is the mobs' movements are rigid. They just don't feel like something new and exciting.

I didn't get to do the incursion. Otherwise, I was in for an hour or so. There was nothing that said, "this is sufficiently new to spend time on." Overall, right now, it looks like something mid beta.

hardy83
07-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Also the story missions don't seem to be available, so it's hard to tell how long that part of the game is, though I'm sure it's longer than the bi-weekly cross-over updates from the show.

Bonehead
07-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Also the story missions don't seem to be available, so it's hard to tell how long that part of the game is, though I'm sure it's longer than the bi-weekly cross-over updates from the show.

Be careful with that expectation.

Chump Norris
07-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the pic Jim.

I cant wait to see if the smaller area is more friendly to my PS3.

reciprocate
07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
How disappointing, a new but separate landmass that's not a part of the overall main map. The size of it looks to be quite tiny too.

Arsenic_Touch
07-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Wow, marin is really tiny.

QipQip
07-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Wow, marin is really tiny.
I understand New Jersey is about the size of Texas also.

Griffix8
07-31-2014, 10:28 PM
It seems like it'll take all but 5 minutes to run from one edge of the place to the other....

Punisher Illinois Blue
07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Well, he is a prince!

Scar is not a Prince. Your thinking of the Hunter in AvP2 (monolith)

Nefarious
07-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Here it is.

Although the landmass is small don't let that deter you. Just looking at the pic shows condensing of world events. So many events going on near one another can make for some really cool landscape battles, especially such a small land mass filled with Ark Hunters all over the place.

Silicon Valley looks to be a battle field more then anything.

rawmelon
07-31-2014, 11:57 PM
now that i see it,i might as well visit it sometime in the near future

Terrato137
08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Silicon Valley looks to be a battle field more then anything.

I thought this as well.

rawmelon
08-01-2014, 12:04 AM
I thought this as well.
a abandoned one, spooky

DIS
08-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Or if they move up to the current generation of the consoles.

DIS
08-01-2014, 12:22 AM

Or a computer from 2005, or anything from 2005? I can't argue with you on that. I will say however, the "not rich" market (people that can't or won't buy the new consoles) is still very lucrative. All that money they could be saving up to buy a console is spent in $20 increments buying bits or DLCs. So, I can understand Trion wanting to stick with the old systems as there are PLENTY of people that will still be on them spending PLENTY of money for LONG time. People that just bought a $400 new console are not going to be in a hurry to spend too much money in game. (I don't think).

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 12:28 AM
It seems like it'll take all but 5 minutes to run from one edge of the place to the other....

East to west takes two minutes thirty seconds on foot..

DIS
08-01-2014, 12:30 AM
I want them to add Vegas... in lore they said it's a prison now so we could have a whole "Escape from New York" Snake Plissken type deal... trench coats and eye patches for everyone!

I approve this message.

JadedSinn
08-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Under new management isn't new.

http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Emergency:Under_New_Management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0w555Ni2cE

Neither are Crystal Clear http://www.defiancedata.com/emergency.php?id=35
or Crystal Cargo http://www.defiancedata.com/emergency.php?id=56

You may want to check out Defiancedata.com since you have obviously missed several emergencies. http://www.defiancedata.com/emergencies.php

well ive never seen them in the main game EVER -.-'' and i wounder around every where looking for stuff. so to me thay where new. u have to recall also with the infected in the main land alot of the emergancys that where around got pushed so the infected ones can be more of a priority along with the new grid. so in the helf a year iv been playing almost a year . some if not almost all of them i have not seen or even hurd of. :) but thanks for clearing it up bats.

theres still the new " incersions " invasion things. as long as there working right befor live

drackiller
08-01-2014, 01:38 AM
Again, for the people that say the consoles are helding back the game.
I feel bad because this game died because of games like COD or BF, but MAG was a great example of how to make a BIG GAME.

I played it , i loved it. 256 players on ONE HUGE MAP, no lag, no disconnections and the game was made several years ago and it was made better than this one that it`s more recent.

http://youtu.be/low8HlogFFQ

For the PC haters, stop being like your are, the problem of Defiance is not the PS3 or the XboX.

JadedSinn
08-01-2014, 01:54 AM
i say it all the time. even if PC players call themselfs the master race. we are not (( even if becuse of computers we have all forms of video games today :P )) as a PC user i dont agree that the cross consol is the reason behind all the problumes this game has.

it comes from bad code . bad server stability. and alot of other miner and major flaws this game has. but why are we siting here arguing about all of this . when every dang one of us that is here on this post in this forum is playing this game anyway nomatter how badd it may be at times ?

no one here is not playing other then maybe a few of you and every one else is still a fan of the game even with all its flaws and quorks,

so stop arguing over whos system is biger and get back on topic.

yes the maps small

yes its a shard all its own

you can still talk to people in SF over clan chat, whisper, and private chat, this means its not fully cut off.
the new add on of " go to clan mate " that is also comeing out with the land mass means u can jump between SV and SF in a moment if something is going down on SF that u want to get to . or something is going down on SV you want to get to.
there also adding in as said on the live stream a new system to manage all events arcross the world that will now make everything line up and appear in a better fasion so that we can play more events acrost both maps.

as i see it right now SV is best described like Nefarious said. its like a large battle field. with all the events that can go on at once down there. theres so much to do that you are not NOT runing into something. it may take little under a few mins to talk from one end to the other or drive from one side to the other. but in that time u will find events like emergancys EVERYwhere

not to mention thay havent even actavated the new story content. so theres still that to wait for also. , the new map has alot of potential it has alot to offer. and if we all see it as that. then we can all enjoy it insted of complaning on the forum about something thats noy going to be released till tusreday of next week. and is still being tested on the PTS its not final till it hits live

Pandur
08-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Again, for the people that say the consoles are helding back the game.
I feel bad because this game died because of games like COD or BF, but MAG was a great example of how to make a BIG GAME.

I played it , i loved it. 256 players on ONE HUGE MAP, no lag, no disconnections and the game was made several years ago and it was made better than this one that it`s more recent.

http://youtu.be/low8HlogFFQ

For the PC haters, stop being like your are, the problem of Defiance is not the PS3 or the XboX.

True defiances problem is that it isn't optimized for anything, so on PC it's way under what it could do and on PS3 and XBox it's barely working.
Just sloppy porting, worst of all worlds lol.

Pandur
08-01-2014, 02:08 AM
And yeah uh bit small, and am i reading this right the only new event is a new Grid incursion kinda thing ?
No new emergencies or conflict sites ?

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 02:18 AM
And yeah uh bit small, and am i reading this right the only new event is a new Grid incursion kinda thing ?
No new emergencies or conflict sites ?

That is mostly correct. There will be more story as well. I would suggest keeping expectations pretty low regarding that.

Pandur
08-01-2014, 02:21 AM
That is mostly correct. There will be more story as well. I would suggest keeping expectations pretty low regarding that.

Can expectations actually go below 0 ? lol

drackiller
08-01-2014, 02:56 AM
I have no expectations at all...i just play.

N3gativeCr33p
08-01-2014, 05:55 AM
I knew it all along... the land mass would be smaller than Marin. Roger that.

I would suggest keeping expectations pretty low regarding that.

Welcome to Defiance? lol

WLL
08-01-2014, 06:05 AM
i say it all the time. even if PC players call themselfs the master race. we are not (( even if becuse of computers we have all forms of video games today :P )) as a PC user i dont agree that the cross consol is the reason behind all the problumes this game has.

it comes from bad code . bad server stability. and alot of other miner and major flaws this game has. but why are we siting here arguing about all of this . when every dang one of us that is here on this post in this forum is playing this game anyway nomatter how badd it may be at times ?

no one here is not playing other then maybe a few of you and every one else is still a fan of the game even with all its flaws and quorks,

so stop arguing over whos system is biger and get back on topic.

yes the maps small

yes its a shard all its own

you can still talk to people in SF over clan chat, whisper, and private chat, this means its not fully cut off.
the new add on of " go to clan mate " that is also comeing out with the land mass means u can jump between SV and SF in a moment if something is going down on SF that u want to get to . or something is going down on SV you want to get to.
there also adding in as said on the live stream a new system to manage all events arcross the world that will now make everything line up and appear in a better fasion so that we can play more events acrost both maps.

as i see it right now SV is best described like Nefarious said. its like a large battle field. with all the events that can go on at once down there. theres so much to do that you are not NOT runing into something. it may take little under a few mins to talk from one end to the other or drive from one side to the other. but in that time u will find events like emergancys EVERYwhere

not to mention thay havent even actavated the new story content. so theres still that to wait for also. , the new map has alot of potential it has alot to offer. and if we all see it as that. then we can all enjoy it insted of complaning on the forum about something thats noy going to be released till tusreday of next week. and is still being tested on the PTS its not final till it hits live

The problem is that the bar has been raised. Bungie will most likely get my money now. I was holding out that Defiance could get their **** together, but with these new changes and the forced Pursuits to obtain max level, I am about to jump ship. This game could have been great. I feel that they missed a great opportunity.
WLL

rydda
08-01-2014, 06:09 AM
When we said big that means bigger small I knew it bummer.
small map = big bummer thats why I have cut back on my game time take a brake from to much b...s..........

Quebra Regra
08-01-2014, 01:16 PM
it only looks small because you players don't understand how to play the game.

Is that the new because grenades?

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I keep thinking of the little sign at the bottom of rear view mirrors...

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Some of the brave testers on the PTS!

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00004_zps6009fa6a.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00003_zps0dc191b2.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00005_zpsff15beea.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00008_zps8e300b32.jpg

Bonehead
08-03-2014, 12:50 AM
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00015_zpsa4946b6f.jpg

ZiddersRoofurry
08-03-2014, 01:17 AM
the new map has alot of potential it has alot to offer. and if we all see it as that. then we can all enjoy it insted of complaning on the forum about something thats noy going to be released till tusreday of next week. and is still being tested on the PTS its not final till it hits live
For someone named 'Jaded' you sure do sound like a glass half full kinda person. :) I think this is a reasonable way of looking at this game in general. Sure it's flawed but it's got a lot that's good about it, too.

rawmelon
08-03-2014, 02:11 AM
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00015_zpsa4946b6f.jpg

Easter egg WITH TRION

Jet1337
08-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Easter egg WITH TRION

No, a foretelling of things to come.

hiban
08-03-2014, 06:23 AM
I ask during the live stream why it was instanced, and their explanation was that they want the maximum amount of people in that zone as much as possible.

So, they want the maximum amount of people going there, but if it is not in the main map, how will people know what's going on there? Most people will just go there, complete the events if there is any when they arrive there, and return to the main map. And because people in the main map don't know what's going on there, they will only return there from time to time.

Trion must understand that you need the zone to be in the main map for people seeing what it's going on there and therefore going there. Why are so many people in incursions? Because it is in the main map and can be seen by everyone.

People also use the chat to call themselves. If they can't chat with people because they are in different maps, then how will people be able to call others for events?

If they are going to continue expanding the main map... is the "Instanced" version of Silicon Valley a temporary thing? Will it eventually be incorporated to the main map?

Amack
08-03-2014, 06:42 AM
Stuff

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?169818-Dynamic-events-in-Silicon-Valley

hardy83
08-03-2014, 06:58 AM
So, they want the maximum amount of people going there, but if it is not in the main map, how will people know what's going on there? Most people will just go there, complete the events if there is any when they arrive there, and return to the main map. And because people in the main map don't know what's going on there, they will only return there from time to time.

Trion must understand that you need the zone to be in the main map for people seeing what it's going on there and therefore going there. Why are so many people in incursions? Because it is in the main map and can be seen by everyone.

People also use the chat to call themselves. If they can't chat with people because they are in different maps, then how will people be able to call others for events?

If they are going to continue expanding the main map... is the "Instanced" version of Silicon Valley a temporary thing? Will it eventually be incorporated to the main map?

Yes, the chat and notification systems are two problems with instances that I think should be resolved, but since this game can through you to different servers at a whim, I doubt it'll be fixed.

That's why i personally wanted the main map to be expanded, but if we're ever going to want to go to places like Canada, Vegas etc, there's no choice but to do it this way.

Amack
08-03-2014, 08:01 AM
More Stuff

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?169818-Dynamic-events-in-Silicon-Valley

hiban
08-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Amack, that link does not answer any of our questions. Could you explain what are we supposed to do?

Post there instead of here, or what?

Amack
08-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Amack, that link does not answer any of our questions. Could you explain what are we supposed to do?

Post there instead of here, or what?

If they are working on merging it back into the main game server, that should hopefully take care of the concerns.

hiban
08-03-2014, 09:14 AM
So then you mean that, from the fact that they are "merging the new Silicon Valley area back into the main game server" we can guess they will put Silicon Valley in the main map?

Or you mean that only the chat issues might be fixed?

In the second case, there is still the problem of not being able to see what's going on the SCV map while you are in the main map, and vice versa.

Bonehead
08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
The last time I was on the PTS the chat was universal. I went to Tranquility rd and was able to chat with those in SV. There are no plans to merge SV with the main map that I am aware of.

hardy83
08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
I've never seen SCV with the main map area at all on the PTS.
It would be nice if that's their plan, but I'm unsure what that post is saying.

It just talks about putting SCV on the main map server. It states nothing about merging the two maps together.

SkinSkull
08-03-2014, 04:36 PM
It's a free add on, right?

If this is a gift from trion to the players, the size is just fine for the price.

If this land mass goes well, maybe they will add more soon.

Let's not be so negative before our quad bike tires have chewed up the fresh soil.

Just to be clear, that's not blind loyalty to trion, that's just being reasonable.

Bonehead
08-03-2014, 05:45 PM
It is what it is. Kinda small, not much story content, Some new pursuits, a new kind of siege.
It beats a poke in the eye with a stick for sure.

Bottom line, it's the best they could do.

alred
08-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I don't have an issue with it being on it's own server. That could be a good thing.

dfe
08-03-2014, 08:30 PM
people expect too much

Losobal
08-04-2014, 12:21 AM
people expect too much

Eh, what can we say, we still fall for the hype.

VicousBlood
08-04-2014, 01:27 AM
I would say it gives hope that they are starting to look at ways to increase the size of the current open world. Which would open up more possibilities to what could be added or implemented into the game's future.

Griffix8
08-04-2014, 01:45 AM
I would say it gives hope that they are starting to look at ways to increase the size of the current open world. Which would open up more possibilities to what could be added or implemented into the game's future.
Problem is that the servers will need some beefing up before they add too much, as it is its...not the best.

cyguy
08-04-2014, 01:47 AM
Ah, everyone was looking forward to a new land mass and new content for awhile. As soon as he said 2 fast travel points on the livestream I knew it would be small. I was just hoping for something a little more, probably like everyone else. Though I can't say I'm really surprised though. My enthusiasm pretty much died dlc release by dlc release.

Guess I'm spoiled by other games releasing new content that takes more than 10 mins to run through. I'm sorry, but Defiance has always seemed to make big promises into things but always feels like they do the bare minimum they can to just slide by. And they wonder why they can't retain a player base that doesn't fizzle out after a couple weeks. After a year, I really have nothing positive to say anymore. I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. It's just what was to be expected from the Defiance staff. Which is truly a shame.

VicousBlood
08-04-2014, 01:53 AM
Problem is that the servers will need some beefing up before they add too much, as it is its...not the best.

I agree also, I had mentioned that as well before they went free to play. I knew it was going to definitely be a bigger issue when free to play went live, but alas, it seems they didn't take it into consideration.

Bonehead
08-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I can't wait....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

BlackTalons
08-04-2014, 08:43 PM
If anything this was a good reason to expect more:

http://www.defiancedata.com/images/map/silicon-valley.jpg

Amack
08-04-2014, 09:27 PM
If anything this was a good reason to expect more:

http://www.defiancedata.com/images/map/silicon-valley.jpg

You know what they say, you can't judge a landmass by the cover... err... wait...
Global warming caused the oceans to rise between the time of your picture and the release date of Silicon Valley, that must be it...

Oh forget it, because Grenades!!