PDA

View Full Version : This game is no good for solo play

Roymund
08-01-2014, 12:22 PM
If you try to work solo you sooner or later hit a wall you cannot cross. I am not a big fan of kill, die, kill die, kill die, you get the idea. I spent more money than a new release game and I get nowhere. Sadly disappointed I would also have liked some non-combat missions, but that's just me. Something more to explore that doesn't require killing another army of better equipped bad guys than you are, even after spending money.
I will not be recommending this game to anyone

drackiller
08-01-2014, 12:24 PM
If you try to work solo you sooner or later hit a wall you cannot cross. I am not a big fan of kill, die, kill die, kill die, you get the idea. I spent more money than a new release game and I get nowhere. Sadly disappointed I would also have liked some non-combat missions, but that's just me. Something more to explore that doesn't require killing another army of better equipped bad guys than you are, even after spending money.

What are you ranting about!?
This game is all about solo play...LOL

Smiit
08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Honestly you probably should have read the back of the box or done a little more research before you purchased. Its an MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) game. You dont play solo. The game wasnt designed to play solo.

cmpowell
08-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I play this game solo a lot. I rarely request to group and only occasionally asked to group to help, usually lower egos needing help with map/arenas. played solo for almost a year before joining a clan. might have become less solo friendly since patch 1.5, but after all the enemy nerfs and the mt tam nerf I think still more than doable solo

N3gativeCr33p
08-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Regrettably, I have been thinking the same thing as of late. :(

(For separate reasons than what yours might be, of course.)

Mia Faith
08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I started the story by myself first time and I started to have to ask for help when I got to the part called shoot the badman. I had to start over and it seemed it got harder and now I had to ask for help sooner. most of the time I play it says level 2000 in the top corner. I just now got to 514 on ps3 and 300 on steam.

RobDaCool
08-01-2014, 12:35 PM
killing another army of better equipped bad guys than you are

You mean you don't like putting 300 bullets into an enemy only to have them touch you and kill you?

It's FREE for a reason man ;)

Wraither
08-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Drack is right, you can solo a huge percentage of this game, which I believe is why threat levels were introduced.

But a solo MMO? /boggle

3rdpig
08-01-2014, 12:39 PM
You think Nim Shondu and Jackleg Joe are hard now, you should have been around in the beginning before they both got nerfed and then, after the nerfing wasn't enough, allowed you to go in with friends. I found them more tedious than difficult, I beat both of them multiple times with every weapon type. I even beat them for several friends who lacked the patience to learn how to beat them. And that's all it really is, learning their weaknesses and capitalizing on it. Once you learn their schtick they're easy to beat, just tedious and boring. But if you fail 2 or 3 times then give up you'll never do it.

Kershoc
08-01-2014, 12:43 PM
If you try to work solo you sooner or later hit a wall you cannot cross.

Totally false. I have two main characters I play. One of them is always grouped, and does everything group play. The second is always solo and does not group for anything. Both characters are above 5.5K EGO. Both characters have completed all the content the game currently offers. This game is just fine for solo play, even though it is a MMO.

Bonehead
08-01-2014, 12:48 PM
The only reason threat levels were introduced was to sell arkforge. Period. I am a hermit so I play the game solo all the time except for events like arkfalls and sieges etc. Once you get to ego 1500 or so the game gets a LOT easier.

Festival
08-01-2014, 12:57 PM
My main character, Kazhe, is somewhere around 5425 EGO, and outside of Co-Op missions (which auto-group), I can count on the fingers of both hands the times she's ever been in a Group. Obviously she does a lot of stuff alongside other characters (Afkfalls, Sieges, Incursions, etc.), but I don't consider those kinds of things to be "not solo'ing" in an MMO.

Overtkill21
08-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I play solo exclusively, since last August or so when my 4 Man Clan quit playing, but I can see what the OP is saying - a lower EGO player may not have near as easy of a time doing things solo.

Random Threat Level spikes to 10 is no big deal for me at all - maybe the swarms get lucky and down me but I can guarantee victory is not far after I revive, but for a lower EGO player? It's a death sentence, over and over dying...all the way to frustration city.

I feel bad (ish) when I jack the TL up to 10 on a noob but only if I arrive and they were there first. If I am there first and you come running in with your EGO 120 BB-guns know that I am not leaving and you will die - I will revive you if possible but not over and over; likely not more than once.

I would like to see the Devs add Solo Play for all of the CoOp Maps on all Difficulties. I grow weary of waiting for players to play the supposed "Expert" CoOp Maps.

BlackTalons
08-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Something I always liked in this game is that you can comfortably play it solo. Most MMO force you at some point or another to group up and do raids or whatever to progress through the game. Here you can go from the tutorial to beating Nim's sorry *** completely alone.

The current scaling system gives further incentive to play alone though.

InIt2WinIt
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I agree that it's easy to solo. I guess coming from competitive fps games such CS and the Bf series has helped, but understanding what the game offers one to be successful solo can be the difference between owning and dying.

FYI: mod up your weapons, upgrading whenever possible, use spikes and stims to your advantage, as well as cover and distance too

Milkweed
08-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I found I needed to get to a higher ego before I could take on Nim. So I held off story missions for awhile and then went back around 2K ego and Nim was easy.

Razoreddie
08-01-2014, 02:22 PM
I solo all the time. One of the things I love about the game is that I can log in for 45 minutes and actually get stuff done instead of hanging around waiting for a group to form. I have very limited playtime these days. I ain't got time to wait around for a "dungeon run" or a "raid" to form. Sieges and arkfalls always have other folks running around to get them done. No waiting. Just join in. How cool is that?!

nathanpbutler
08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Totally false. I have two main characters I play. One of them is always grouped, and does everything group play. The second is always solo and does not group for anything. Both characters are above 5.5K EGO. Both characters have completed all the content the game currently offers. This game is just fine for solo play, even though it is a MMO.

How is that at all possible? If you don't want to interact with other players socially like the original poster, then you wouldn't be in a clan, and thus all of the clan-related pursuits would be impossible. That would preclude him (and presumably your solo character unless not truly "solo" in terms of clan membership) from being able to complete "all the content the game currently offers."

Tgreen
08-02-2014, 02:28 AM
you wouldn't be in a clan, and thus all of the clan-related pursuits would be impossible.

Make your own clan and while you still won't get pursuits the clan specific boons will be unlocked just by you ... albeit a lot slower. ;>

Eroticon4
08-02-2014, 02:47 AM
The only time I have problems playing solo is when a group of nearby players boost the threat to 6+ but aren't fighting where I am. Like when I do a daily quest that's in the area of an event.

crazyged
08-02-2014, 04:05 AM
I've never had a problem playing solo. The mission line was not particularly difficult and I made do in high TL situations.

Even most of the arenas are easily 'goldable' solo. But I enjoy hanging with the clan - it's what it's all about for me.

richardkrainium
08-02-2014, 04:26 AM
ever since the scaling system was introduced, thats all I've been doing is solo. much easier that way. was a dumb move for trion to try to force ppl to work as a team in a MMO. as soon as i see the threat lvl go up i either leave or wait until the other person leaves.
with the way the game is set up now, it encourages ppl to go lonewolf rather than team up and there is very few things to do in this game that require more than one person.

Punisher Illinois Blue
08-02-2014, 05:43 AM

Sure you can, the important story based missions don't require more than one person to complete.