PDA

View Full Version : Did the current issues with Game Violence affect Defiance?

Vega
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM
          

Ladayen
02-01-2013, 08:24 PM
you can check out the game www.twitch.tv/trionworlds scroll down until you see videos tab and pick the top video. Then go to about the 3 hour mark and the defiance stuff startsd.

ItISLupus
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Honestly, I don't see why it would. But people need to stop with the whole "video games corrupted my child" bs. Blame the parents not the product

Sarcon
02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
chicken nuggets corrupted my children is a more valid arguement than video games, as far as violence goes we are not looking at a game like man hunt or other brutal killing game, yes people die but in a more sci-fi fashion where you have a good number of energy weapons and from what i have seen from trailers/livestreams its less violent/gore than your standard military shooter but falls more into line with the sci-fi shooters.

Guknowit
02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
chicken nuggets corrupted my children is a more valid arguement than video games, as far as violence goes we are not looking at a game like man hunt or other brutal killing game, yes people die but in a more sci-fi fashion where you have a good number of energy weapons and from what i have seen from trailers/livestreams its less violent/gore than your standard military shooter but falls more into line with the sci-fi shooters.

"chicken nuggets corrupted my children is a more valid arguement than video games" That's like saying chicken nuggets make people fat, they don't, over consumption of them and terrible eating habits brought on by the individual themselves do... or the parents depending on the individuals age.

I make the same argument for video games and movies as well, that being said video games and movies do have some sort of influence over us, just saying.

SyberSmoke
02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
The only reason people are poking at games is because they can not poke at TV, Movies, Comic Books, Role Playing Games, Books, Stone Paintings, etc etc etc. The only reason these people do not go after these any more is because they are established...they would be laughed out of the room if they said "TV makes kids take guns to school and shoot up the place". Tom & Jerry was more violent then many games I have played.

I think the entire rhetoric about video game violence is over blown hot air. It will just take time till the people that preach it drop dead (of old age) and we can all move on to the next great bane to human civilization.

Sarcon
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
The only reason people are poking at games is because they can not poke at TV, Movies, Comic Books, Role Playing Games, Books, Stone Paintings, etc etc etc. The only reason these people do not go after these any more is because they are established...they would be laughed out of the room if they said "TV makes kids take guns to school and shoot up the place". Tom & Jerry was more violent then many games I have played.

I think the entire rhetoric about video game violence is over blown hot air. It will just take time till the people that preach it drop dead (of old age) and we can all move on to the next great bane to human civilization.

yes the next great bane will be people blaming gun violence in bieber (however in this case its absolutely true). on a serious note though above about the chicken nuggets i just mean chicken nuggets have a slight influence on our weight just as media does on our minds, ultimately it comes down on someones own will weather that extra chicken nugget is gonna make them gain weight or if that video game is going to make them a little more violent. that little nudge off the cliff does not remove the fact that you were on the edge of the cliff.

SyberSmoke
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
yes the next great bane will be people blaming gun violence in bieber (however in this case its absolutely true). on a serious note though above about the chicken nuggets i just mean chicken nuggets have a slight influence on our weight just as media does on our minds, ultimately it comes down on someones own will weather that extra chicken nugget is gonna make them gain weight or if that video game is going to make them a little more violent. that little nudge off the cliff does not remove the fact that you were on the edge of the cliff.

That is not precisely true. I am sure like any gamer you have been in the situation that you were playing and everything you did was wrong. Mistake after mistake leading to getting rather upset and one fed off the other. Thing is in most people games are a catharsis, about 85%. In the other 15% Games are a source of infuriation. The problem is that some people do not know how to walk away.

In these situations it comes to the parents to teach their kids when to keep going and when to stop and walk away. The ones online that rant when they loose and blame their team (Get this allot in WoT) are the ones that just need to walk away fro a while. But they do not, they rant and rave about how it is not their fault. A lack of personal responsibility really...sad that parents do not watch how things go a little more closely. Oh and before people go "How would you know your sniveling little jerk" I am 35 with three kids of my own. I have been teaching them to walk away and cool down...a hard lesson, but a necessary one.

Guknowit
02-01-2013, 10:29 PM

A chicken nugget isn't going to have anymore effect on your weight than lets say a more "healthy" option, a bag of peanuts.

You can gain weight on the over indulgence of nearly anything. A bag of peanuts is not anymore "healthier" than a chicken nugget, what it all boils down to, is having a sufficient amount of all the nutrients, including those that people tend to black list, and the only reason thins like carbs, fats, and sugars are blacklisted is because there is an abundance of them, and with that, they also taste good. So the problem then becomes self-control for a few.

Are you going to sacrifice taste for the illusion of a "healthier" food? People think the problem is, Taste good=bad. When really the problem is Self-control.

Are you going to sacrifice entertainment for a "cleaner" form of it? People think the problem is, Animated violence=shootings. When the real problem is Self-esteem or mental disorder.

Inquisitioner
02-02-2013, 02:32 AM
It's easier for everyone to cast the blame on video games rather than themselves.

Dead_Phoenix
02-02-2013, 05:13 AM
god i spend all day righting a full essa on how wrong people are blaming popular media for modern violence.

as i dont want to bore you all to death ill simply sum it up that humanity has always looked for a reason to everything, take the vikings, they lived in a violent age in a hostile enviroment, they blamed violent gods. they believed the only people who went to there version of heaven (valhalla) was those who died in battle or women during child birth.

so lets face it, people will always look for a scape goat to explain the evils of this world, when simply its just an animalistic nature within us all, only difference between everyday joe who does nothing wrong and the psycos who do it is how we handle it. our sense of propriety if you will.

Edit: as to will it effect defiance (sorry i digressed) i dont think so as most people have the common sence that games dont cause violence

Escyos
02-02-2013, 07:48 AM
I think you are onto something. Playing Crash Bandicoot as a child did in fact cause me to smash boxes, seek out fruit and attack animals in my way.....

Dead_Phoenix
02-02-2013, 08:03 AM
I think you are onto something. Playing Crash Bandicoot as a child did in fact cause me to smash boxes, seek out fruit and attack animals in my way.....

oh god what ever you do then DO NOT play angry birds!

Fiancee
02-02-2013, 09:06 AM
One of the questions I have been wondering recently after reading game violence articles was the affect on this game. Is the game really violent? Is it toned down? Did the current issues with Game Violence affect Defiance?

I see that it has a mature rating but besides that???

Do you have a link? Ive not seen anything. I'd love to read it though.

My guess this is T-rated like most AAA MMORPG's are, thanks to WoW kids.

IzanagiVeritas
02-02-2013, 09:23 AM
no fiancee this is m rated. however, i don't think hot air spout out about how video games cause violence will be a problem here in the U.S. one guy tried to get a law passed where you can't make games that have... i think it was law enforcement people as enemies. the law wasn't able to get past the supreme court stage because it was considered a law that went against the free speech amendment. at least i think it was the free speech amendment. anyways, no matter how much people whine in the U.S about how video games cause violence, unless the constitution is pretty much thrown out the window, they can't make any laws that prohibit the making of certain video games.

Fiancee
02-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Are you sure Mature pegi isnt just placeholder? We all can see theres tons of stuff what we dont know yet.

rathb18
02-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Some one should make a shirt that say on the front " I love killings, ******, and jaking cars" and on the back "in video games". See how pissed off those people get than. lol

Fiancee
02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
LOL. I want to see what happens when GTA5 comes in September, its all about car theft, robbing, stealing etc. GTA5 easily sells 10 mill within first month.

Vega
02-02-2013, 09:33 AM
          

Dead_Phoenix
02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
LOL. I want to see what happens when GTA5 comes in September, its all about car theft, robbing, stealing etc. GTA5 easily sells 10 mill within first month.

no doubt the same "x did x and he played gt5" usual crap we see. apprently even though there will be several million players and less then 1% commit violence they presume the game caused it. im sure statisticly (thoery) more people who drive a car % are more likly to hit someone else. and yet driving apprently doesnt breed violence?

IzanagiVeritas
02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
I know Phoenix, this get's very annoying. *sighs* I'm thankful that my parents understand that as long as you can seperate reality and fiction, games will not make you do something stupid. I just wish other people were not stupid enough to think that playing a violent video game will make someone go all psychopathic on someone and harm them.

Fiancee
02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
no doubt the same "x did x and he played gt5" usual crap we see. apprently even though there will be several million players and less then 1% commit violence they presume the game caused it. im sure statisticly (thoery) more people who drive a car % are more likly to hit someone else. and yet driving apprently doesnt breed violence?

Aye, whats funny GTA series is probably biggest "sinner" in whole game industry..

Its not actually a single article. Its several over a few pages like IGN, PCgamer, and cnn but its that but tv news and recently the condemning of game violence by two US politicians(cant remember their names) that made think of the affect on the game in sense of violence.

Oh well, nothing to worry about... politicans are yet again trolling.

Cenred
02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
this topic makes me laugh...

Dead_Phoenix
02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
omg now this cracks me up. i was looking at defining "psycopathic" because i thought i would post how some people think games turns kids in to psycos, when in fact its actually quite a common ailment.

first page i brought up had the definition and right next to it was an advert for COD BO2's new map pack.

SteelPaladin
02-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I think violence in video games CAN affect certain ppl in different ways, you just need to know that if your one of those, or you parent/partner does, then you need to stay away. Same as alcoholics w alcohol, you know your poison, and if your easily impressed or manipulated, or never leave your room to socially interact, then well theres an issue. Most mass shooting come from ppl who have difficulty dealing with real world social interactions, and when real world pressure hits, they dont know how to deal.
Social Malfunction will be a real issue down the road as ppl do less and less actual face to face encounters, esp w the way social networking and media works now a days.
In a game, you can be a god.
real life, not so much.

SyberSmoke
02-02-2013, 05:01 PM
no fiancee this is m rated. however, i don't think hot air spout out about how video games cause violence will be a problem here in the U.S. one guy tried to get a law passed where you can't make games that have... i think it was law enforcement people as enemies. the law wasn't able to get past the supreme court stage because it was considered a law that went against the free speech amendment. at least i think it was the free speech amendment. anyways, no matter how much people whine in the U.S about how video games cause violence, unless the constitution is pretty much thrown out the window, they can't make any laws that prohibit the making of certain video games.

Protected Speech is covered under the First Amendment. And before people go ranting off about how their speech on a forum is protected, it is not. The First Amendment only keeps the US government from restricting the speech of its citizens with in reason, speech that can be seen as a prelude to certain crime is not protected. As for forums, they are private property and speech is at the discretion of the property owner.

Any way games are considered art and thus a form of protected speech thanks to a Supreme Court decision. There are ways to regulate games though, the reason why most legislation has failed so far has been they have been overly broad. Even protected speech can be curtailed if the law is specific enough and there is good enough reason.

Kaoslion
02-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Violence affects people who weren't raised correctly or just don't care about there fellow humans. Its more of a moral issue I think then anything else. From what I've seen I don't think it has affected it because this isn't a gory grotesque type game in the first place.