PDA

View Full Version : Character animation is a huge problem for this game

Cyten
08-02-2014, 07:13 AM
I have been recently playing Zombies Monsters Robots(or Hazard Ops in Europe) and the difference in the quality of animation of your character is huge compared to Defiance, in all of its aspects: walking, running, reloading, firing recoil etc. Animations there have that weight to them that makes the game much more enjoyable. Although Mass Effect still has the best animations for a third person game.

Are there any plans to completely rework the animation for you character in Defiance?

Since we are talking here about a single model, the expenditure for that, in time and money, would be minuscule compared to all the other updates the game received.

An official response to this would be greatly appreciated.

Chevota
08-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Keep in mind that Defiance is "Dumbed down" for consoles. Idk is ZMR is PC only, i never heard of it.

So, assuming animations pull from "Performance", id say defiance probably has one of the most demanding Performance platforms around. It may be that the basic animations are all the game can handle because of the player-base all having to be performing these actions together.

Take that into consideration. Every player animation may be pulling Performance from a system that can barely handle it. Increasing, or changing such things, may not be possible, and definitely wouldnt be "miniscule".

Its basically the same Performace issue with Costumes. Cant render everyones so it chooses the Basic model for everyone except is certain cases.

Perchta
08-02-2014, 07:37 AM
My only problem with the models/animation is that everyone stands around like they are wearing a poopy diaper. And not just any diaper but one of the old bulky cloth diapers that some parents would put more than one on at a time in hopes of preventing leaks. Did the artist actually look at how grown humans stand.

Cyten
08-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Aren't console and PC players divided anyway?

Jack_Pryce
08-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Well I'll argue it has some pretty nice grenade throwing animations, at least. No really, your character is fully capable of throwing it over his shoulder behind him if you can point the crosshairs that way. He can also throw it across his chest while running and it looks pretty nice actually.

RobDaCool
08-02-2014, 09:11 AM
My only complaint is everyone is always in the carrying a weapon stance, even when not in combat, should holster your weapon when not fighting

Cavadus
08-02-2014, 09:19 AM
My only complaint is everyone is always in the carrying a weapon stance, even when not in combat, should holster your weapon when not fighting

Well, it would be nice to have a toggle rather than it be automatic. Walk key would be nice for the master race as well.

Mia Faith
08-02-2014, 09:48 AM
i play gta online and you can put away your gun

N3gativeCr33p
08-02-2014, 10:54 AM
You say character animation, I say server stability.

Chevota
08-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Aren't console and PC players divided anyway?

Yes but the PC side is "held back" to Console standards. Hence why the PC version isnt running breathetaking graphics and the ability to render ALL.

Least, its a theory floated around.

Smiit
08-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Why the hell does it matter? As long as you are having fun you should be fine. If character animations are such a huge problem for you go play something else. This really confuses me why out of all of the other problems in this game character animations are an issue.

Antoine Flemming
08-02-2014, 02:33 PM

No, you shouldn't "holster" your weapon when not fighting, at least not automatically. You keep your weapon in your hands, at the ready, in case of any enemy contact. That's what you do in a combat situation. But being able to do that manually should be an option, so that when you don't have the intention of fighting, you can holster it. Also, it'd be nice to be able to see your weapons when you switch them, each one being in it's proper position (pistol on thighs, other weapons on the back).

Xaat Xuun
08-02-2014, 02:54 PM
i play gta online and you can put away your gun
heh .. there are many ways I could follow that with .. need/want, shower, headache :p:cool:

RobDaCool
08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
No, you shouldn't "holster" your weapon when not fighting, at least not automatically. You keep your weapon in your hands, at the ready, in case of any enemy contact. That's what you do in a combat situation. But being able to do that manually should be an option, so that when you don't have the intention of fighting, you can holster it. Also, it'd be nice to be able to see your weapons when you switch them, each one being in it's proper position (pistol on thighs, other weapons on the back).

This is an RPG, well supposed to be one anyway, and if my character wants to holster his weapon he should be able too. I suppose that would bother you, wouldn't it?

Cyten
08-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Why the hell does it matter? As long as you are having fun you should be fine. If character animations are such a huge problem for you go play something else. This really confuses me why out of all of the other problems in this game character animations are an issue.

What a stupid, inappropriate comment.
Of course it matters, animation of all things is one of the key elements that facilitates enjoyment of any game.

Smiit
08-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Yes but he is commenting about how the animation look as long as the gameplay is good than the game is fine. Im just saying there are many more important problems wih this game. Either way talking about the games problems makes it worse. Enjoy the game the way that it is.

Darien
08-02-2014, 06:00 PM
I would rather have them working on actual issues.

Jet1337
08-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes but the PC side is "held back" to Console standards. Hence why the PC version isnt running breathetaking graphics and the ability to render ALL.

Least, its a theory floated around.

I have the pc version and it renders all player outfits, has a better framerate, and better graphics. Where are you getting this **** from?

Darien
08-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I have the pc version and it renders all player outfits, has a better framerate, and better graphics. Where are you getting this **** from?

Probably from the way video games are designed. They are not going to spend time designing high resolution textures for PC when the other two systems cannot handle it. Mostly because they do not have the staff or funding to do so.

3rdpig
08-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't expect any major rewrites of the game engine, textures or animations.

To those of you that have played Archeage, how does that look compared to Defiance? It's a PC only game if I remember right, so did Trion do the Master Race justice, or is it just more ported Xbox 360 graphics?

Cyten
08-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Yes but he is commenting about how the animation look as long as the gameplay is good than the game is fine.

Gameplay is intricately intertwined with graphics and animations, it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Perchta
08-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Game animation is often just not pleasing to the eye

I can remember beta testing LotRO. Your character ran like s/he had broom stick shoved up their......well you know. It bothered some people to the point they didn't go retail. It bothered me but I did two betas then went day one retail. Oh, and the cape animation in LotRO I'd swear was done by someone that took one class in animation then didn't bother to show up the rest of the semester.

Bethesda can really turn out some crappy animations

Mass Effect 3 animation should win an award for bad animation.

I can remember a few Asian titles where all run animations had the character bend over to about 80 degrees when running. Players joked it was an attempt to attract horny 12 year old males to the game, perhaps it was.

Bad animation won't keep me from playing a game if the game play itself is decent.

N3gativeCr33p
08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Bad animation won't keep me from playing a game if the game play itself is decent.

True.

Solid game play > Sloppy animation/graphics

Cyten
08-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Mass Effect 3 animation should win an award for bad animation.

Indeed, much worse than Mass Effect 1, which is the one I was referring to.
Apparently this was a consequence of consoles not having enough ram, and of course f u c k the PC bothering.