PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns: Which one to choose?

hiban
08-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Which one of the Pump Shotguns (from those which have an accuracy of about 7-8) would you choose, and why? Which ones are the best, and which ones should i avoid?

(yes, i want to get some good ones before the Encryption arrives)

Oh, DLC ones do not count for me, as i dont own any DLC.
Thanks!

Takao
08-02-2014, 12:39 PM
VIP Sluggers, get a Bio and Fire. Switch when needed.

Smiit
08-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Sluggers indeed.

PiccolaRivolta
08-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Basically there are 3 types of pump shotguns :

1) High spread, high damage, point blank suited. (Heavy scattergun, Grind Fragger, Castithan Sweeper, VBI Shotgun )
2) Tight spread, one shot or two burst versions, medium damage, close range suited. (VOT Fragger, Volge breacher, Scattergun, FRC Scattergun)
3) No pellets, just a slug shot; medium damage, accurate (VBI PS-30 Slugger, FRC Auto-scattergun)

However the Auto-scattergun fires slugs and it's a combat shotgun.

hiban
08-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Has anyone seen a Grind Fragger with all the reload rolls? (like the Zagger) Do you think that is possible?

kgersen
08-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Basically there are 3 types of pump shotguns :

1) High spread, high damage, point blank suited. (Heavy scattergun, Grind Fragger, Castithan Sweeper, VBI Shotgun )
2) Tight spread, one shot or two burst versions, medium damage, close range suited. (VOT Fragger, Volge breacher, Scattergun, FRC Scattergun)
3) No pellets, just a slug shot; medium damage, accurate (VBI PS-30 Slugger, FRC Auto-scattergun)

However the Auto-scattergun fires slugs and it's a combat shotgun.

Good summary. You can't go wrong with a decent Slugger; if you find one that would probably be a priority.

I like Scatterguns and Fraggers/Grind Fraggers and they are some of my favorite guns. You really need to get some good rolls though (+MAG especially, re-load & fire rate are also good, or some people like accuracy on Fraggers) and couple that with complementary perks (like Preparedness, for example) in order to make them really effective.

I'm a big fan of pump shotguns in general, despite Trion's historically bad shotgun nerf, way back when. They used to be so much more fun...it's not easy being a shottie fan in today's Defiance.

Big Jack Shepard
08-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I have a purple grind fragger with white, green and blue reloaod rolls.

hiban
08-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I have a purple grind fragger with white, green and blue reloaod rolls.

wow, how much is the reload time with all those rolls?

BlackTalons
08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Get a VBI slugger with crit rolls:

- The slug concentrates all the damage on a critical hit.
- Given the larger bullet size, it crits very easily.
- Crits ignore armor.
- Sluggers have a base crit multiplier of 2. With some rolls (up to 0.3 modifier), skill bonus (0.05), Gunslinger perk (0.12) and an assassin synergy (0.06) you can get it up to 3,06 (2*(1+0.15+0.15+0.05+0.06+0.12)), without necesarily needing a legendary weapon. It remains effective all the way to TL 10, and one shots most enemies early on.

Mod them with Fall Off and reload mods and you are good to go.

Big Jack Shepard
08-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I also have a triple reload courier.

Both guns are 0.5.

konstantinov
08-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Has anyone seen a Grind Fragger with all the reload rolls? (like the Zagger) Do you think that is possible?

I have a grind fragger like you're asking about. QM, 3x reload with speedy feet. With a T5 reload it's at 0.2 reload.

Jack Horrigan
08-02-2014, 08:25 PM
I still love me the birdshot pump.... But I know I'm alone. I say FRC scattershot or the slugger are your best bets if your not like me.

Atticus Batman
08-02-2014, 08:44 PM
I still love me the birdshot pump.... But I know I'm alone. I say FRC scattershot or the slugger are your best bets if your not like me.

Dang I just got rid of several of those things, a few days ago!

BlackTalons
08-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Dang I just got rid of several of those things, a few days ago!

What's so bad about birdshots anyway? Most of of the time they are used as an example of a bad weapon.

Three Dog
08-02-2014, 08:55 PM

I have a radiation grind fragger with all mag rolls and it`s 27 rounds and a reload mag puts it at .6 reload. Works nice with the reload perk that fills the gun when you have another equipped.

Atticus Batman
08-02-2014, 08:57 PM
What's so bad about birdshots anyway? Most of of the time they are used as an example of a bad weapon.

Not sure, but most hate them. I think not enough damage for their taste. I use mostly auto-fraggers (http://www.defiancedata.com/weapons.php?m=60) and tripleshot fraggers (http://www.defiancedata.com/weapons.php?m=164), (both are combat shotguns) which are just as hated as Birdshots(Pump shotguns) (http://www.defiancedata.com/weapons.php?m=93) though.

Three Dog
08-02-2014, 08:59 PM

The birdshots aren`t really bad damagewise but they have a slow fire rate, usually around 1.7 -1.9. The difference between a 1.7 and 2.+ rate of fire shotgun is like night and day. I found a stalker birdshot a few weeks ago and put some blue stalker mods on and a falloff barrel but it fired so slow that it felt like over a 1 second pause between shots, so I broke it down and got my mods back to save for a better one in the future.

BlackTalons
08-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Not sure, but most hate them. I think not enough damage for their taste. I use mostly auto-fraggers and tripleshots, which are just as hated as Birdshots though.

As far as I know, birdshots have twice the pellets with half the damage per pellet. Tripleshots however have the same problem as Armada RL: They fire too slowly for a burst weapon, and keeps you firing with little to do to stop it.

king ofwieners
08-02-2014, 09:19 PM
i run a roling thunder vot grind fragger 23 shots & AR w/ stowed weapon get 1/3 kills and your good.

hiban
08-04-2014, 08:40 PM
What's the exact difference between a Slugger and a Scattergun? (besides the obvious that one is Pump shotgun and the other is Combat shotgun)

Why do people say the Slugger is better?

I've seen the stats of both and they are pretty much the same...

BlackTalons
08-04-2014, 08:50 PM
What's the exact difference between a Slugger and a Scattergun? (besides the obvious that one is Pump shotgun and the other is Combat shotgun)

All pump shotguns (should) deal plenty more damage than combat shotguns and fire roughly at the same speed, if not faster. The cons are that they don't shoot automatically and that they require individual reload of slugs (the fragger reloads two at a time though). The Slugger in addition has a freaky native 2x crit multiplier that makes it a beast, specially since slugs have a bigger hitspot than normal bullets (they hit a larger area per shot) so it's far easier to score critical hits on anything.

hiban
08-04-2014, 09:00 PM
yeah, but what's the difference betwen the Slugger and the Scattergun? Why do some people say the Slugger is better?
I mean, both shoot slugs...

ironcladtrash
08-04-2014, 09:00 PM

This is actually a case of what isn't listed. The slugger has bigger crit multiplier, a longer range then any shotgun before any fall off damage and the hit box for the crit is extremely large. This makes it an extremely cheap 1 hit kill (or close to it) weapon in PVP and why a lot of people use it.

BlackTalons
08-04-2014, 11:03 PM
yeah, but what's the difference betwen the Slugger and the Scattergun? Why do some people say the Slugger is better?
I mean, both shoot slugs...

The scattergun does not have 2x multiplier and deals less damage in similar conditions. Though the Slugger has slighty less firing speed, more recoil and slower reload, its ability to one shot most enemies offsets the cons vastly. It's like a sniper rifle that works up close with aim asist.

duction
08-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I have a bio double crit slugger and it's a very cheap gun for kills.

Big Jack Shepard
08-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Does the Wanyu have all of the hidden bonuses of the Slugger?

PiccolaRivolta
08-05-2014, 03:41 AM

0.5 but you can boost it more to 0.3 with a T4 mod.

I once got a Votan Fragger (reskin of Grind Fragger) from a Soleptor box. With radiation nano, 3 reload rolls and 10% ego on full reload.

Used it until I found a Zagger even if it was low ego and I was 5000+

with Overload it reloads basically istantly... Those shotties are rare though :(

I have a bio double crit slugger and it's a very cheap gun for kills.

Double crit means 3.0x multiplier? Well, that's sick.

Big Jack Shepard
08-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Does the Wanyu have all of the hidden bonuses of the Slugger?
I'm still curious about this.

Anybody know the answer?

konstantinov
08-05-2014, 12:52 PM
0.5 but you can boost it more to 0.3 with a T4 mod.

I once got a Votan Fragger (reskin of Grind Fragger) from a Soleptor box. With radiation nano, 3 reload rolls and 10% ego on full reload.

Used it until I found a Zagger even if it was low ego and I was 5000+

with Overload it reloads basically istantly... Those shotties are rare though :(

Double crit means 3.0x multiplier? Well, that's sick.

2x crit means 30% more crit over base. Sluggers are around 2.0. I have a radiation Fury wanyu 2x crit, 2x dmg and it's an absolute monster.

I'm still curious about this.

Anybody know the answer?

Yes they share the same bonuses.

SilverWF
08-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Which one of the Pump Shotguns (from those which have an accuracy of about 7-8) would you choose, and why? Which ones are the best, and which ones should i avoid?

(yes, i want to get some good ones before the Encryption arrives)

Oh, DLC ones do not count for me, as i dont own any DLC.
Thanks!

High-accurate FRC Scattergun would be good choice

Z0mb1E
08-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I have a grind fragger like you're asking about. QM, 3x reload with speedy feet. With a T5 reload it's at 0.2 reload.

Yes but does it actually reload in .2? I have a courier with .4 reload but it still takes 1.0.

konstantinov
08-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Yes but does it actually reload in .2? I have a courier with .4 reload but it still takes 1.0.

It's in the blink of an eye. 3x stupid QM fast.