PDA

View Full Version : What about the TV series!?

Dukeraver
06-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Everyone in the forums seem to be hyped about the new game, but what about the TV Series?

What do people think of the cast? I myself have seen most of them listed in the TV series section in at least one of their TV series that they have stared in and I must say they we're brilliant actors from what I saw :D

Sure you see some big/experienced cast and crew names thrown around there, but that didn't help TV series like Terra Nova.

But knowing Syfy they wouldn't just throw themselves into some small time project, and combining both TV show and MMO. Surely things like Weapon Models and Costume sales through the roof if they both go well in their respective industries and the game will help cope with the wait of the next episode.

And what about the story? Will it clash with the game, is the lore of the MMO going to ruin the TV Show and give away secrets in the show, or vice verse?

All in all, what are you looking forward to the most, and what do you want to know (or not know) the most?

Shrapnil
06-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I for one will be watching it in April. I really do not see the game and series clashing since they take place in 2 different cities. The game takes place in San Francisco, and the series takes place is what used to be called St. Louis. I expect the series to be effect by the mmo to be small. Probly built around a large event the devs throw at people and they wait to see what happens. Base it off of maybe 2 or 3 out comes most likely

Escyos
06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm looking forward to the show more than the game. The game starts out before Jeb Nolan heads to Defiance and events and characters from both interact with one another.

FenK
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Honestly if it weren't for the TV show I wouldn't even care about the game. The second I heard that Jaime Murray and Julie Benz were going to be on Defiance I knew I had to watch. I be more interested in the game if I knew that Jaime and Julie's characters were going to be in it. The wait for Defiance is killing me.

Shrapnil
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
You do encounter them in the early stages of the game. Because you take part in them getting that gem they have at the beginning of the series

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I am really looking forward to the game but the television series also looks like something that I could delve into and watch over and over, maybe bringing nostalgia of the game at some points.

Escyos
06-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Honestly if it weren't for the TV show I wouldn't even care about the game. The second I heard that Jaime Murray and Julie Benz were going to be on Defiance I knew I had to watch. I be more interested in the game if I knew that Jaime and Julie's characters were going to be in it. The wait for Defiance is killing me.

Only 10 months to go!!!

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Only 10 months to go!!!

That makes it sound like no time at all! ...Yet it is :(

Escyos
06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
That makes it sound like no time at all! ...Yet it is :(

Well next thing you know it will come out. However for me it will probably come out when heaps of work has piled up and I won't be able to do anything. Thats how the world works for me...

Adsinonimous
06-05-2012, 06:51 PM
It seems to work like that for everyone, it seems. Haha

ultimt1
06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
im looking forward to both, to see how theyre supposed to interact.

Dukeraver
06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
im looking forward to both, to see how theyre supposed to interact.

I want to know how they would interact as well, hoping there is an achievement system of some kind that points out what to do to change the TV show world... and hope that it won't effect for an epic story for the show itself.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Hmm. All we know is that they interact somehow. Shame, really.

FenK
06-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Only 10 months to go!!!

10 Months is so far but I do love the build up. I will just sit here patiently waiting for every new trailer, interview, and any piece of new info they give us.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
10 Months is so far but I do love the build up. I will just sit here patiently waiting for every new trailer, interview, and any piece of new info they give us.

I also love the build up. I swear I have more fun rummaging through forums than I end up having in my time spent gaming. lol

Escyos
06-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Just don't get impatient and freeze yourself until then...thats how you end up in the future fighting sentient otters.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Just don't get impatient and freeze yourself until then...thats how you end up in the future fighting sentient otters.

Say What?! Lol

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Southpark reference

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Southpark reference

Haven't watched that show in ages. Actually I'm going to watch it right now! haha

Escyos
06-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Is this a pic from the show? I'm not too sure.

https://s1-05.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/592994839.jpg
From here: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Syfy-Defiance-Gamers-1048496.aspx

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Doesn't look like it would be. I think this might just be another one of Syfy's shows.

ultimt1
06-07-2012, 03:37 PM

lol g1

-10chars-

Malchuth
06-08-2012, 04:34 AM
it would be nice if trion/syfy could manage something for the people outside NA to be able to watch the show. something like video on demand for all active defiance accounts.

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 04:38 AM
it would be nice if trion/syfy could manage something for the people outside NA to be able to watch the show. something like video on demand for all active defiance accounts.

Isn't there already one? The way everybody outside of North America said they were looking forward to the series made me assume there was a SyfyOD.

Nemajneb
06-08-2012, 08:08 AM

I'm sure you could watch it online.

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm sure you could watch it online.

Do you have any links to places where that might be possible? Thanks.

Escyos
06-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Do you have any links to places where that might be possible? Thanks.

Chances are that to see the show you either need to watch it on Syfy (which would be America first and the rest of the world some time later), Hulu, which is for Americans only, download it from iTunes or similar service (those things can be relatively cheap) or illegally download it, which is not recommended as it does not add to the ratings of the show and thus would aid in the premature cancellation of it.

Malchuth
06-09-2012, 01:34 AM
the problem with tv-streams is, that most of the time the country code of you ip-adress is excluded. f.e. i am not able to watch internet streams or videos on demand from the bbc (uk), sf (swiss television) or many of the public tv networks in the usa like cbs, fox or nbc. sure, there are ways to bypass this, but its a grey area of the internet law. syfy is pay-tv and yes i can get it in germany, but i don't want to pay extra cash (in this case) and it does have a diffrent programm-shedule as the original network and it is synchronised into german. even downloading it from itunes or similar services isn't always working. and all this because of license-agreements and exploitation right.

if trion/syfy would provide the tv show for all active defiance (or complete trion) accounts it would have a nice side effect. an accurate number of people who watched the show besides the normal statistics of the network. and if you know how viewer surveys for networks is made in the US, i'm sure it will help the tv show to survive longer than only one season.

Dukeraver
06-09-2012, 05:40 AM
"The TV show, set to air on Syfy, takes place in St. Louis while the video game is set in San Francisco. Despite the separation of the settings, Defiance hopes to have a lot of crossover between the two media. The main character of the show, for example, will quest with players in the game before he moves to St. Louis and has his story told through the TV show. It’s ambitious, but it could lead to a truly unique and engrossing experience for fans of the world." from http://www.gamezone.com/products/defiance/previews/e3-2012-defiance-hands-on

Escyos
06-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Is this a pic from the show? I'm not too sure.

Image[/IMG]
From here: [url]http://www.tvguide.com/News/Syfy-Defiance-Gamers-1048496.aspx (https://s1-05.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/592994839.jpg)

Apparently it is from the show.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Yea, i cant wait for this show. I have a strong feeling tho its going to happen right around finals and i wont be able to enjoy it like it should be enjoyed. Also if you can try not to watch this online. Thats what happened to Stargate Universe and right as the show started to get good it was cancelled and now all of us fans are left with a horrible ending.

Escyos
07-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Datak and Stahma Tarr!
http://s1-04.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/615842032.jpg?key=781768

Von
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I knew I shouldn't have expected something like a Narn (Babylon 5 reptilian species) or
a Klingon (Star Trek villian with a ridged forhead.) But they do have an other worldly
look to them. A friend of mind thought they looked like elves.

I know I should wait to learn more about them but I can tell a few things. First, the light
skin and how wrapped up the woman is shows to me that they are probably sensitive to
sunlight. The eyes remind me of a stargate species that needed a planet with a heavy
ozone or else they go blind.

Hopefully we'll learn more about them over the next few months and when she show
starts to air.

Escyos
07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
I knew I shouldn't have expected something like a Narn (Babylon 5 reptilian species) or
a Klingon (Star Trek villian with a ridged forhead.) But they do have an other worldly
look to them. A friend of mind thought they looked like elves.

Well the Castithans (the race that Datak and Stahma are) are said to be very similar to humans while the others are more alien looking. The girl at E3 had colored eyes (Cass) and skin and Irisa had darker skin and a pointy forehead.

I know I should wait to learn more about them but I can tell a few things. First, the light
skin and how wrapped up the woman is shows to me that they are probably sensitive to
sunlight. The eyes remind me of a stargate species that needed a planet with a heavy
ozone or else they go blind.

The race on Stargate would be the Enkarans. It would be silly to assume that the Castithan homeworld was the same as Earth so they may feel it is colder than their homeworld.

Hopefully we'll learn more about them over the next few months and when she show
starts to air.

I expect a few comic con videos to pop up with the panel and we can get more info. Plus twitter is an amazing source for a few choice pics that the actors put out.

Kalbuir
07-14-2012, 04:57 AM
I think what excites me the most is the cast of the TV show, it certainly shows a lot of promise. Personally I love Jaime Murray, while I was not a huge fan of warehouse 13's other actors she was the exception and well I just love those English accents! I also think she did a great job in the BCC series Hustle but don't think many outside the UK know that series at all.

Its about a team of con artists, kinda like leverage but WAY more drama focused instead of silly stuff. Certainly a good pickup if your into that stuff.

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm interested in the show, but i'll come straight out and say it's only because of the game. I seldom follow tv series otherwise unless there's something i particularly like about it.

Escyos
07-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Video from comic con

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_bvCNlknXs

It appears that the first episode has some sort of mass robotic army attacking Defiance and Nolan organising them to fight.

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
are they gonna play the episodes weekly? if the game is gonna keep up the show, then players would have to play online constantly to enjoy the weekly events; working 40 hours a week, that dont sound appealing to me

Escyos
07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
are they gonna play the episodes weekly? if the game is gonna keep up the show, then players would have to play online constantly to enjoy the weekly events; working 40 hours a week, that dont sound appealing to me

Considering thats how 99.9% of tv shows work, I would say yes. I doubt there are going to be new events EVERY week, just a few major things over the course of the season and a few minor things dotted about, you don't need to watch the show to play the game.