PDA

View Full Version : New Season Series

Amun Ra
08-04-2014, 10:12 AM
I've been following the series... but I am quite dissapointed in a few things.
1) Music.
The music in the series is beyond Shtacko.
What gives???

2) Where S1 ended, S2 did not pick up.
We're 9 months further, it's an elephant pregnancy on a beetle, seems, and thoguh we do get a tad of info here and there, it's far from enough.
What exactly happened?
What happened to Irisa when she went through the light?
What happened with Mr. Nolan during that time?

No, I am, thus far, not at all happy, not to mention impressed.
It's simply WEAK.

Turn up the heat.

Covington
08-04-2014, 10:23 AM
It's because of the not really promoted "webisodes".

Defiance The Lost Ones: Episode 1
Picking up where Season 1 left off, Nolan searches for Irisa as secrets of their past are revealed. (http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2764291)

The average tv only viewer would miss them. I don't watch syfy at all except for Defiance now so I was clueless until I stumbled on them much later. I fear with the success of Sharknado they might scrap serious shows entirely. But that's another thread.:eek:

Amun Ra
08-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Let's be honest for a second: is there TV that's quality like back in the days of STNG, STV, you name them?
Lately there are these frikken reality show thingies, and other balony that makes the general IQ drop by 50% per episode.
What once was Stephen Hawkings, is now Homer Simpson.

Truly saddening.

BTW, thank you for the link, Covington.
I truly appreciate it.

Covington
08-04-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm not a Trek girl so I shouldn't answer that. ;) Battlestar, Fierfly, Doctor Who, Torchwood and for me yes Defiance is up there. Maybe I am just getting it, it's my favourite show these days. Shows in general that are good or appealing to the cult are usually far and few between. And what some like others don't.

In the last few years that have been some damn fine shows - pity they just don't last thanks to reality tv and other bad soaps.

Amun Ra
08-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Well, it's probably me then.

Like Science Channel, I hoped to learn something from it, but no....

It's more a For Real Dummies Channel. :(

MadDogTremor
08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
I believe that if one truly want's to learn any thing from Television, their best bet is to simply turn it off.

Monkerlotus
08-05-2014, 02:15 AM
I've been following the series... but I am quite dissapointed in a few things.
1) Music.
The music in the series is beyond Shtacko.
What gives???

2) Where S1 ended, S2 did not pick up.
We're 9 months further, it's an elephant pregnancy on a beetle, seems, and thoguh we do get a tad of info here and there, it's far from enough.
What exactly happened?
What happened to Irisa when she went through the light?
What happened with Mr. Nolan during that time?

No, I am, thus far, not at all happy, not to mention impressed.
It's simply WEAK.

Turn up the heat.

<Insert picture of Comic book buy that I'm too lazy to look up.>

Covington
08-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Well, it's probably me then.

Like Science Channel, I hoped to learn something from it, but no....

It's more a For Real Dummies Channel. :(

None of the channels are what they should be. History is RealityTv, Arts and Entertainment (A&E) RealityTv, Discover RealityTv, Science RealityTv, I could go on. Syfy unless it has a hit like Farscape or Battlestar is really not watchable for movies or other programmes. They try and make decent tv and then show really bad movies, then make a movie spoofing how bad the channel is (sharknado). I will give them kudos for that though.

I find myself watching documentaries on netflix more than anywhere else now. (I'm a big WW2/history geek).

Combo Breaker
08-05-2014, 06:15 AM
(I'm a big WW2/history geek).

As am I. I watch a lot of AHC (Used to be the Military Channel). They show a ton of WW2 stuff still.

Covington
08-05-2014, 06:21 AM
As am I. I watch a lot of AHC (Used to be the Military Channel). They show a ton of WW2 stuff still.

Yes but its in 720 format, ugh not high def. They turned the res down. :( So I look for them on netflix.

Combo Breaker
08-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Yes but its in 720 format, ugh not high def. They turned the res down. :( So I look for them on netflix.

I still occasionally put in my COD World at War, just to play in the atmosphere. Not multiplayer as that is full of cheaters now. Campaign or private matches.

Shogo_Yahagi
08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm with you on the music, but I'm OK with not knowing everything that happened. I like long-arc storytelling. Give me the payoff for watching the whole season. Let me wonder what's happened and then blow my theories out of the water. That's all part of the fun.

I thought they did a good job of catching us up without walking us through the intervening months.

Irisa went missing after doing her dive. If she knows what happened next, she's not telling. That's OK. The ship under Defiance is a major plot point. It's probably why the series is set in Defiance. We have some tantalizing hints, but we don't know exactly what's going on with it except that it's going to pay off later and it's going to be a big deal when it does. What we do know is that she took off from Defiance without Nolan. Why didn't she tell him what happened? It took until last episode to find out why and that's OK, because only she knew and she had a reason not to tell.

Nolan had been chasing her for months. Do we need to see every failed lead he followed? Nope. Do we want two of the main characters out of the series for most of the season while they chase each other across the continent? Nope. Let's cut to the point where he finds the right lead to catch up to her and get things rolling again. Solid choice. He needed to get out of Defiance for a while anyway.

It may be an ensemble cast but who can really carry the show when they're away?

Amanda's been running the Best Little Whorehouse in Defiance since she lost the election. Why? Because she's out of a job and she thinks Kenya is still alive. 5 minutes and sorted. The only person who knows for sure one way or the other is Stahma, and she's not talking. Do we really want a prime-time-basic-cable-friendly season of Amanda running the Need/Want? Meh.

Rafe has been running the mine. That's not really riveting television unless you're really into mining-themed science fiction, and that has to be a pretty niche market. Next?

Datak's been in prison. We knew that was coming. Do we want a season of White is the New Black more than we want a season of Defiance? I don't.

Alak is busy being Alak, and thank god we didn't have to watch 9 months of that.

Stahma's been busy running the family business, like she always did, only now she's doing it more openly. There's probably some entertaining TV to be had there. I'd watch that, but this is Defiance, not Stahma Tarr's Big Crime Family. If you do a spinoff though, count me in.

Earth Republic moved in and ran the place. People don't like it much, but it has apparently been relatively calm except for some graffiti. Berlin is fine as a minor character, but if this season is about E-Rep taking over Defiance and keeping things orderly and quiet so they can mine some gulanite, we're watching a different show.

Events were set in motion at the end of last season that were going to take time to play out and that would take all of the main characters out of the action for a while. We didn't need to take that day by day, especially since most of it is going to be people avoiding talking about what they know. If they want to zip ahead to when the shtako and the fan get acquainted again, I'm down with that. Give me an idea of what happened, then drop Nolan and Irisa back into Defiance, let things spin out of control, and don't hog the popcorn.

alred
08-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I agree the music is not as good as the first season, but that's about it. The show has gotten darker, gritter, then last season. I think it'll get interesting over the rest of the season. Plus there are "hints" that season 3 and 4 the show may expand beyond what it already has.

Amun Ra
08-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Fudge...
I wrote a full page post, and hit Reply to Thread instead of Post...

AGAIN!

Irisa: What has she been oing all the time.
From what we gathered thusfar: she has "killed" a lot.
Killed as: reformed people with whatever it is she's puking out.
Might be quite a few interesting people were amongst them.

Nolan: Yes, 9 months of useless searching, but...
Was it useless?
What has he seen, learned, whom did he meet, quite a bit of info (9 FULL MONTHS!) missing here.

Datak: Castithan: with an unusual set of rules.
How did he survive these months in jail?
I can think that he has quite a few enemies, no?
Some that want to drink his blood.
Even if he fell into disgrace.
And with no "army" to protect him...

Stahma: Castithan: How the bloody hell did she take over the business?
Clearly not through her son.
OK: As datak said: the men only remember the hand that feeds them, buit clearly there are far more Castithans?
To mention just one: The Holy Man.
So, what gives?
Even being extremely careful, the Castithans KNEW!
And they just ignored all rules?
Just HOW did she pull this off?
Another question: for what I gathered, females are nothing without a man.
So, how could she obtain that position?

E-Rep:
You made quite a mistake: Berlin is the Tech girl.
The major WAS Niles Pottinger, now replaced by Mr. Colonel.
Merely saying.
But Pott isn't the most clean person, as per what we saw a few times.
How did he get to become Major?
Who has he elbowed aside for this?

There is quite a bit of info missing, and I would like to see behind all this...