PDA

View Full Version : Silicon Valley impressions

ZiddersRoofurry
08-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Just a few quick things regarding the new content.

The Good:
New area to explore!

The bad:
It's tiny.
Lots of reused assets everywhere save for a few unique locations. The cloned architecture isn't all that visually interesting.
The music is rather bland, and the sound effects are very low quality/annoying (especially the bird chirps).
Voice acting is rather poor, and npc's lack animations especially when speaking.
Extremely small area.
Seasonal quests that are more like side quests. Way too short.

While I understand that it's free content that doesn't mean it shouldn't be of the same quality as the rest of the game. It doesn't look all that much different from the San Fran area, except that there's less to it overall. It just feels cobbled together.

My other main issue is how much this game is being pushed towards forcing people to spend real money in order to get anything decent. I can't help but feel like Trion is attempting to exploit their players.

konstantinov
08-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Lots of grid emergencies is a plus.

ZiddersRoofurry
08-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I feel like grid emergencies are just more copy/paste. I just think that instead of getting lackluster free content the developers would be better off focusing their efforts on improving the base game. There's plenty in the game already where they've failed to take advantage of the potential locked within their own game.

I'm not trying to put down the devs efforts because I like this game. It's just that I want to love it, y'know?

Alastar
08-06-2014, 01:45 PM
What do you mean not of the same quality as the rest of the game? Seems like the same quality to me :p joke aside it was an interesting enough place to see while I did the drive around season missions. Already finished that so onto another game tho.

N3gativeCr33p
08-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Seasonal quests that are more like side quests. Way too short.

They were more like fetch quests, in my opinion. Calling them side quests is borderline insulting to legit side quests. lol

ZiddersRoofurry
08-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I don't have an aversion to fetch quests since life itself is one giant fetch quest. I just think this feels like something that was pushed out to attempt to distract from the rather questionable (and game killing, IMO) changes to loot/weapons that got pushed out with the area.

Genocyber
08-06-2014, 02:11 PM
boo hiss...I really looked forward to this expansion, what a disappointment. why was this tiny spit of land needed to be instanced from the rest of the map anyway?..i miss what little player communication/banter there was :(. feels like a took a vacation to the most boring deserted isle in the world!

ZiddersRoofurry
08-06-2014, 02:13 PM
I didn't notice a difference in the amount of chatter, really. Most of the time when I'm playing it's fairly quiet. I get the impression that most people are either soloing, pvp'ing or talking with clanmates/friends via voice. This isn't a very social game, and the lack of a decent friends list or social interaction UI discourages interaction even more.

This is a pretty antisocial MMO.

Vash Arrok
08-06-2014, 02:22 PM

LOT'S of grid emergencies that are bugged out dont make up for the overall amount. LOts of copy paste arts make for poor structures.

The only thing there that has any merit is the offices of trion laying in waste. That at least put a smile on my face. I wish it was for the positives but they are well drowned out by the crap I encountered.

N3gativeCr33p
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
The only thing there that has any merit is the offices of trion laying in waste. That at least put a smile on my face. I wish it was for the positives but they are well drowned out by the crap I encountered.

But... but... I thought everyone likes a cup o' tea every now and then? lol

Iceberg
08-06-2014, 02:24 PM

I saw 90% 99er emergencies, but only played an hour long.

Alastar
08-06-2014, 02:26 PM
I missed Trions offices lying in rubble? Almost tempted to log in just to see that. Almost.

Nefarious
08-06-2014, 02:26 PM
First impression was "this place looks awesome for a shadow war"

Lots of Urban looking areas. Fighting inside the multi story parking garages would be cool.

And Trion if you are reading this for god sakes make a shadow war location take place all through out the North Wastern part of Mt Tam from the Contraction Depot all the way up to the Pacific Gates. Urban Ruins and massive scale pvp is Epic Winz all the time every time.

Bonehead
08-06-2014, 02:27 PM
They were more like fetch quests, in my opinion. Calling them side quests is borderline insulting to legit side quests. lol

I really hope they can hire a real writer for the so called "main quests" soon.
Lately the mission writing reminds me more of a sixth grade creative writing assignment written at the breakfast table the morning of the due date.

Iceberg
08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Lately the mission writing reminds me more of a sixth grade creative writing assignment written at the breakfast table the morning of the due date.

Need to also get a new voice actress for Eren.

Bonehead
08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
First impression was "this place looks awesome for a shadow war"

Lots of Urban looking areas. Fighting inside the multi story parking garages would be cool.

And Trion if you are reading this for god sakes make a shadow war location take place all through out the North Wastern part of Mt Tam from the Contraction Depot all the way up to the Pacific Gates. Urban Ruins and massive scale pvp is Epic Winz all the time every time.

A normal size shadow war would cover the whole map and lots of water too.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-07-31_00019_zpsdb061c65.jpg

Bonehead
08-06-2014, 02:29 PM
But... but... I thought everyone likes a cup o' tea every now and then? lol

I know I do.

N3gativeCr33p
08-06-2014, 02:30 PM

I really hope I will be interested in this game long enough to see that happen.

Bonehead
08-06-2014, 02:34 PM
I missed Trions offices lying in rubble? Almost tempted to log in just to see that. Almost.

Here you go...

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag464/lenzdude/2014-08-01_00015_zpsa4946b6f.jpg

Vash Arrok
08-06-2014, 02:36 PM

LOL yeah it was worth it. My evil, upset, miffed side of me had a good laugh thinking they should have a picture of that on their office walls with a caption underneath along the lines of....
"A nerf to far", "How trion balancing actually works", "Why players are not allow spikes in real life".

Nice timing bonehead, ty.

Alastar
08-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Ahahahaha! My favorite thing about SV. Thanks bonehead ;)

Tgreen
08-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Apart from 4 Grid at the first mission step I never found any enemy to shoot. Those pilgrims just stood around doing nothing, watching me hack their stuff. That confused me a little.

Bonehead
08-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Apart from 4 Grid at the first mission step I never found any enemy to shoot. Those pilgrims just stood around doing nothing, watching me hack their stuff. That confused me a little.

Makes me wonder why the hell Cass warns you about them as soon as you get to Bruno station. The Foster Temple cultists are kittens.

Iceberg
08-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Once you finish hacking them, they play an audio of someone yelling at you. I stood there waiting for them to turn on me and gun them down, but that never happened.

Bonehead
08-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Totally off topic but...

https://www.facebook.com/borderlandsgame/photos/np.11064318.100006551100955/10152386858994081/?type=1&ref=notif&notif_t=notify_me

SilverWF
08-06-2014, 03:23 PM
For me it is just another location - as San Francisco. Nothing to do there...

ZiddersRoofurry
08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
The only thing there that has any merit is the offices of trion laying in waste.

I think getting enjoyment out of the thought of something bad happening to Trion is more than a bit unnecessary.

Alastar
08-06-2014, 04:39 PM
They put it in the game. May as well enjoy it lol

Pandur
08-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Hmmm my impression is that since the newest reward nerf I wasn't even motivated to try.

General was a good day though, I played functioning, fun and rewarding games :P

belisarius
08-06-2014, 06:08 PM
About those grid emergencies. I just don't understand Trion. They spend the time and effort to build a new area and then fill it with the same npcs you can find in Mount Tamm. The events have different names but its still raiders, 99ers, and bugs. Tuesday, when the game was actually working, I found 3 or 4 grid emergencies. Wednesday, I drove around the isle for hours and found only one. I switched back to SF and the area around Marin and found many more grid emergencies. Again, why build a new area and stock it with the same old tired emergencies. Those of us above 5k haven't a lot left to do in the game so I was excited that there was going to be new content. Once past the 4 very short drive around and look at stuff missions there was no new content. Again, I can complete the Season 2 Grid II and Grid III pursuits back in Mt. Tamm so why the new area? Is Trion planning on adding more content in the future?

Perchta
08-06-2014, 06:18 PM
After a few hours in SV I got the impression its not finished. That it's publish was rushed. Its like a new store with all the shelves in place but nothing on them to sell.

Eugenitor
08-06-2014, 06:25 PM
After a few hours in SV I got the impression its not finished.

This.

Here's a rundown of my first half hour in Silicon Valley:

Minute 1: "Hey, this place looks kinda interesting. I'll run along this dock with this other player. Maybe we'll fight something new. The quiet is kinda creepy, and the background music is just weird."

Minute 2: "All right, time to spawn a vehicle. Where the hell is everything?"

Minute 3: "Seriously, what the hell? This whole place is just BARE. Still creepy, though. This is like the BEN Drowned of Defiance."

Minute 5: "What's with all the copypasted textures? And why is the voice acting on this mission so God-awful? Eren wasn't ever THIS bad, was she? Even EGO sounds wrong..."

Minute 10: "Oh my god these emergencies are HILARIOUSLY BROKEN ahahaha LOOK AT THAT SPAWN POINT IT'S EMBEDDED IN THE GROUND ahahaha"

Minute 15: "These missions suck."

Minute 20: "Wow, those missions sucked."

Minute 30: "Empty areas, copypasting everywhere, just driving with nothing to do except the same few emergencies over and over and, like, one arkfall... it's like some kid's first Skyrim map... why was this even released?"

hardy83
08-06-2014, 07:42 PM
It's fine.
I view it like a content update rather than any form of expansion.
It's like Ember Isle for Rift, or Isle of Thunder for Wow. Light on original content, heavy on repetition for end-game.

I think it's fine, but the whole area itself just really makes me want a full on urban zone. Like the size of the SV map but just ALL city buildings. Not a couple buildings than a bunch of nothing, then a road, then more nothing and a point of interest. :P

I would kill if this game had a full on urban zone and forested area.

As for the content, it was fine. The main story is clearly not done. Whether they flat out didn't finish it or are holding it back to drip feed it out, I don't know, but it's interesting how they tied in the Defiant Few website story (if anyone even plays it :P) and the new EGO origin stuff, but I wish there was more.

Can't say much about the incursions and stuff. When I was doing the missions in SV, aside from having about 5 disconnected during my hour or two doing the missions, I only saw a handful of people, even when the incursion stuff popped up.
There wasn't enough players to really do any of it. I don't know if it was server issues, or if people are just bored of the place already.
So while interesting, they do need to put SV in the main map sooner rather than later. (I'm aware they are planning this) I think that will increase the population a bit where people on the main map can easily see what's going on there and quickly teleport to it.

I'll give it a......6/10, maybe 7/10 if I consider the fact that it was a free update.
The fact I still have serious server issues since this game has gone F2P will continue to hurt my opinion of this game.

I'm not going to concern myself with the overpriced bit shop, the lockbox crap and the nerf to rewards. I'm perfectly happy playing the game with just blue weapons, with zero mobs.
In fact, I think a lot of people would enjoy the game more if they just pretended orange weapons didn't exist, upgrading didn't exist, only white mods existed and just used weapons they get from events and buy off vendors.

Vash Arrok
08-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I think getting enjoyment out of the thought of something bad happening to Trion is more than a bit unnecessary.

Your absolutely right. I just wish I had your upstanding character to roll with. As it is I dont. Instead I was born human as as such I have many faults furball.

edit cause, well...

Iceberg
08-06-2014, 08:32 PM
This.

Here's a rundown of my first half hour in Silicon Valley:

Minute 1: "Hey, this place looks kinda interesting. I'll run along this dock with this other player. Maybe we'll fight something new. The quiet is kinda creepy, and the background music is just weird."

Minute 2: "All right, time to spawn a vehicle. Where the hell is everything?"

Minute 3: "Seriously, what the hell? This whole place is just BARE. Still creepy, though. This is like the BEN Drowned of Defiance."

Minute 5: "What's with all the copypasted textures? And why is the voice acting on this mission so God-awful? Eren wasn't ever THIS bad, was she? Even EGO sounds wrong..."

Minute 10: "Oh my god these emergencies are HILARIOUSLY BROKEN ahahaha LOOK AT THAT SPAWN POINT IT'S EMBEDDED IN THE GROUND ahahaha"

Minute 15: "These missions suck."

Minute 20: "Wow, those missions sucked."

Minute 30: "Empty areas, copypasting everywhere, just driving with nothing to do except the same few emergencies over and over and, like, one arkfall... it's like some kid's first Skyrim map... why was this even released?"

I believe you missed one:

Minute 4: "Where is that bird sound coming from? I want to kill it."

Kanah
08-06-2014, 08:33 PM
In fact, I think a lot of people would enjoy the game more if they just pretended orange weapons didn't exist, upgrading didn't exist, only white mods existed and just used weapons they get from events and buy off vendors.

You're absolutely right. If they treat the game as a simple shooter they'll have a good time, so long as they are careful to never allow their minds to wander toward thought of progression and the temptations it offers.

Also, Silicon Valley: 4 out of 10. I liked the music. I had a fantastic fight during the invasion when hundreds of mobs were approaching, but unfortunately it was followed by ten minutes of holding down the fire button to kill an evangel. Overall, a bit dull.