PDA

View Full Version : Watching yet another marketing team destroy a game.

MrBadBad1
08-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Free to Play is the death of just about every MMO I've seen because instead of dev's working on problems concerning game play which keeps the subscriber's paying the monthly the dev's are now directly beholden to the games bottom line: profit.

What you won't see is anything that improves game play from now on. Disappearing spawns like the hulker in Sol excavation, despawning vehicles, UI fails, and the bath house excursion stopping at round nine aren't bugs now: they're features of the game. The only thing dev's will "fix" is anything that prevents players from spending money.

And that's not the dev's fault.

When your job, your paycheck, your ability to support your life depends on answering to the marketing team. You develop all the ****ty mechanics that make money, instead of making / up-keeping a game. Before FTP the devs kept the game stable, fixed bugs, and implemented new features to keep the current playerbase playing the game. The marketing team looked for ways to bring in new players, to generate revenue. FTP puts the marketing teams, who have a major say in how a game is developed based on what is currently making games money to begin with, in direct control of a game because now they have to find ways to utilize in-game mechanics to generate revenue.

Don't look to developers for community support either. The game industry is historically well known to be a place where your job is always ready to be taken from you. The industry is built to be nomadic. Once your job is done you expect to have your team laid off or the company downsized until the next major title comes around. You're always looking at who's hiring. You're always looking to jump ship. Stable game industry jobs are hard to come by. so if you don't agree with the direction a company is going you leave or keep your mouth shut because ultimately you're expendable.

For defiance, which utilizes a ****tier version of the Borderlands billions of guns gimmick, the only way they will make money on FTP is to limit any kind of in-game reward we receive. Arkforge, item drops (frequency and rarity), scrit, salvage, and lockboxes are all now potential profit generators for the company. These features which the game is built off of are a commodity to be squeezed by the Trion marketing teams. And they will because they don't care about the game, the players, or the experience. They only care about profit and their obviously already not making enough because you don't make a game FTP unless you don't have enough subscribers.

As players they only way to send them a message they will hear is to affect their bottom line.

There's a great quote from Dune that is appropriate here:

He who controls the spice controls the universe.

We as a community have to take the spice away from Trion.

Boycott the store completely.

Stop watching the show.

But don't stop playing the game. If we don't spend money but keep playing the game they still have to pay for the back end processes like space at server farms and paychecks. If we don't watch the show they don't generate revenue through their advertisers and SyFy will pull their slot because they aren't generating revenue either.

You want to show them you're pissed? Stop posting to the forums. completely. dead stop.

they will have to keep paying for hosting that no one uses.

Hit them in their bottom line. Take their money away because we are their money but keep making them pay to keep the game going.

Play but don't spend.

Consume their product... just stop them from making a profit off it.

Ruinne
08-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Bean counters don't do marketing.

If you look at what has been done to the in game economy it makes sense for a F2P launch, it just doesn't make much sense for a game that was B2P.

I'd almost rather they had relaunched.

Covington
08-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Stop watching the show.
But don't stop playing the game.

http://a133.idata.over-blog.com/299x224/1/81/75/39/img_5341_mrbean_450x360.jpg

What?

No.

The show has nothing to do with the game developers and the developers obviously have nothing to do with the show. If you want to have a beef with Trion that's great but don't take it out on Kevin and his gang for what Trion did. You are boycotting the wrong thing.

Alastar
08-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Long live the show!!! I'm not going to miss out on a show I like cuz of this fiasco lol. But they definitely ain't getting into my wallet.

N3gativeCr33p
08-06-2014, 05:38 PM
I only disagree with one small detail... if done correctly, I don't necessarily think going F2P is a death sentence for an MMO.

P.S. - I will not boycott the show.

Covington
08-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Long live the show!!! I'm not going to miss out on a show I like cuz of this fiasco lol. But they definitely ain't getting into my wallet.

Yeah They got my money when I had to buy two copies of the game for us to play at home, and that's all they are ever getting again for any Trion product.

Coyote Clive
08-06-2014, 05:41 PM

I still haven't seen the show. But yes. Go on strike! Buy nothing from the store.

Ruinne
08-06-2014, 05:42 PM
I only disagree with one small detail... if done correctly, I don't necessarily think going F2P is a death sentence for an MMO.

I thought that at one time. I'm starting to change my mind, not because of anything foul, but because the market is so flooded with MMOs. There are more and more MMO players each year but I swear that sometimes it seems there are two MMOs launching for every new player.

It's a brutal market now, every game is feeling it and the in game communities are getting smaller and smaller in each game. Companies are going to have to be very efficient and learn to survive and thrive with 50-100K players in the future.

Festival
08-06-2014, 05:53 PM
CEOs and CFOs aren't the marketing team. This has nothing to do with marketing. The decisions that have all but ruined this game happened at the top. Gutting the dev team, going F2P, altering things like drop rates, in-game item costs to drive bit store purchases, etc., are decisions made by C-level executives, not Marketing. If Trion has a CMO, they may have been involved, but probably weren't the instigators (as actually marketing this fiasco would be an absolute nightmare).

Also interesting to note (in terms of their business plan decisions): they're actually trying to fill a Director of Business Development position right now. Business plan seem wonky? That may be your reason: someone's temporarily in charge of that area, and they're winging it.

Ruinne
08-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Also interesting to note (in terms of their business plan decisions): they're actually trying to fill a Director of Business Development position right now. Business plan seem wonky? That may be your reason: someone's temporarily in charge of that area, and they're winging it.

It's my dog, Mr. Schmooky-Pants. He's the temp.

On the internet nobody knows you're a dog.

Eugenitor
08-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Gutting the dev team, going F2P, altering things like drop rates, in-game item costs to drive bit store purchases, etc., are decisions made by C-level executives, not Marketing.

How many lockboxes and arkforge sales-equivalents are they paying their C-level executives (total of salary, benefits and retirement, including FICA taxes)?

Because I think I have a great way for Trion to receive the equivalent of several thousand sales a year, all while removing unnecessary burden to the playerbase.

Tyrannos
08-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to PM a member of the Community Team.

Thank you!