PDA

View Full Version : Why reporting a nasty, vile player can backfire on you

AceRimmer
08-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Can someone explain what Trion is up to?

So yesterday I took some in game pics of a chat log, where a player-who shall remain nameless-was being incredibly racist and insulting towards just about every race of real people, trying to incite others, talking about setting off bombs in parts of the usa, and generally being a complete nasty piece of work.

I called him a few choice words, in a momentary lapse of judgement, as you're not meant to feed the trolls, but seriously, some of the things he said were disgusting.
Now, upon reporting him, showing proof of chat logs etc, I hear nothing from support, nor ticket people, which I was kinda expecting, as they take up to a week to reply.
And yet, I got an email from them 20 mins ago, from what I assume must have been reported by that same troll, threatening me with being suspended if I insult other players.

I mean, i know the game is broken in quite a few ways, but how the heck is someone as vile as that person, able to be treated so cordially, yet if you're the innocent party, you end up with the punishment?

Kershoc
08-07-2014, 07:51 AM
It is the same course of action you take when you got kids fighting. Doesn't matter who started it both are guilty and get punished.

AceRimmer
08-07-2014, 07:52 AM
It is the same course of action you take when you got kids fighting. Doesn't matter who started it both are guilty and get punished.

Maybe but in that example, if the parents of the innocent kid know their child is innocent, they'll pretend to be angry, but in secret, they tell the kid "we know you're innocent"

Kershoc
08-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Maybe but in that example, if the parents of the innocent kid know their child is innocent, they'll pretend to be angry, but in secret, they tell the kid "we know you're innocent"

And perhaps that is why you got a warning and not an outright ban?

AceRimmer
08-07-2014, 07:56 AM
And perhaps that is why you got a warning and not an outright ban?

nope, they should have said "don't feed the trolls" or " although we understand your anger, please do not attack other players, no matter their words" instead of actually threatening me.

konstantinov
08-07-2014, 08:02 AM
It was your choice words. Pretty obvious.

squidgod2000
08-07-2014, 08:04 AM
They likely just pulled your logs (what you said) and not the full chat logs after someone reported you.

Also, don't feed the trolls.

AceRimmer
08-07-2014, 08:12 AM
It was your choice words. Pretty obvious.
Seeing as you don't know what my choice words were, don't assume.

konstantinov
08-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Seeing as you don't know what my choice words were, don't assume.

It wasn't hugs and kisses that got you here so there's no need to assume. It's blatantly obvious.

Wraither
08-07-2014, 08:45 AM
You got trolled. Trolls have way of stimulating anger in others, it sucks you in if you are not careful... and that troll is laughing their *** off now. You fed them this:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2012/12/17/1355742850221/Christmas-Dinner-008.jpg

Please... don't feed the trolls, it only makes them stronger

ironcladtrash
08-07-2014, 08:49 AM
You got trolled. Trolls have way of stimulating anger in others, it sucks you in if you are not careful... and that troll is laughing their *** off now. You fed them this:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2012/12/17/1355742850221/Christmas-Dinner-008.jpg

Please... don't feed the trolls, it only makes them stronger

While this is extremely true, they still shouldn't be able to get away with it. Intentionally trolling violates the COC and is never enforced.

bigguy
08-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Dont you get it , Youre supposed to give them your money and be quiet. Also if the troll gives them money he can do whatever he wants.

JEMINAI
08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
you are giving them too much credit. I'd bet they just read your report wrong.

Bacon Overlord
08-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Can someone explain what Trion is up to?

So yesterday I took some in game pics of a chat log, where a player-who shall remain nameless-was being incredibly racist and insulting towards just about every race of real people, trying to incite others, talking about setting off bombs in parts of the usa, and generally being a complete nasty piece of work.

I called him a few choice words, in a momentary lapse of judgement, as you're not meant to feed the trolls, but seriously, some of the things he said were disgusting.
Now, upon reporting him, showing proof of chat logs etc, I hear nothing from support, nor ticket people, which I was kinda expecting, as they take up to a week to reply.
And yet, I got an email from them 20 mins ago, from what I assume must have been reported by that same troll, threatening me with being suspended if I insult other players.

I mean, i know the game is broken in quite a few ways, but how the heck is someone as vile as that person, able to be treated so cordially, yet if you're the innocent party, you end up with the punishment?

So... if you're going to report someone, make sure you're not in a glass house. A mixture of cliches, but you get the point.

You basically told on yourself... then submitted proof of it.

If you're dealing with a racist in the game (and there are always a couple) just put them on ignore..

/ignore troll

Simple.

Taking the time to report them and take screenshots and all that is a good effort, noble at that. But, at the same time, this is a F2P game. If they get banned, that's exactly the attention they want. THey know they got under someone's skin and they are just going to create another free account and let the mortar barrage begin again.

Pandur
08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Your choice words were very probably against the CoC, doesn't matter if you used them against a troll, still a violation.
Next time do yourself a favour. at the very first sentence that's trollish, report->mute->move on.

Pandur
08-07-2014, 02:15 PM
While this is extremely true, they still shouldn't be able to get away with it. Intentionally trolling violates the COC and is never enforced.

Actually i gotta defend Trion on this too, the other guy probably got some kind of action too.

Companies hardly ever talk about CoC violations and actions taken, hence why everyone thinks nothing is done, the ones that did usually had a huge sht storm on their hands also though.

ironcladtrash
08-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Actually i gotta defend Trion on this too, the other guy probably got some kind of action too.

Companies hardly ever talk about CoC violations and actions taken, hence why everyone thinks nothing is done, the ones that did usually had a huge sht storm on their hands also though.

I would agree with you if you I didn't see the same players in the game spouting the same things, or cheating day after day.

Wraither
08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
I absolutely agree Iron, I was only trying to enlighten that the trolls intention was clearly, although hidden, to trap someone like the OP. If the OP had only reported the troll without lashing back, this thread would not exist and the troll would have not been fed Christmas dinner and might have been looking at a suspension.

Some ppl just wanna see the world burn...

ironcladtrash
08-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I absolutely agree Iron, I was only trying to enlighten that the trolls intention was clearly, although hidden, to trap someone like the OP. If the OP had only reported the troll without lashing back, this thread would not exist and the troll would have not been fed Christmas dinner and might have been looking at a suspension.

I wish we had in game moderators. People might behave themselves if they thought some one was watching or they could get immediately punished. It's always been a shame to me that some people just want to be an *** because it's not in person. Being an online jack *** is still being a jack ***.

konstantinov
08-07-2014, 04:16 PM

IE:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ody_j4eYwNw/UIgNS-pcJYI/AAAAAAAAAJE/C6f2CIGt1d0/s1600/usher1.jpg

konstantinov
08-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I wish we had in game moderators. People might behave themselves if they thought some one was watching or they could get immediately punished. It's always been a shame to me that some people just want to be an *** because it's not in person. Being an online jack *** is still being a jack ***.

It'd be a Defiance version of Big Brother without all the hookups.

N3gativeCr33p
08-07-2014, 04:18 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zvUslXuRA_0/UvwCczVz8MI/AAAAAAAAFMY/on27YXWgA6U/s1600/tumblr_lzqc68pz3j1rn95k2o1_400.gif

Odessa
08-07-2014, 04:26 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zvUslXuRA_0/UvwCczVz8MI/AAAAAAAAFMY/on27YXWgA6U/s1600/tumblr_lzqc68pz3j1rn95k2o1_400.gif

Every time I see that quote, this pops into my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9D6GNzpmkM

N3gativeCr33p
08-07-2014, 04:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9D6GNzpmkM

Love me some Fallout 3!!!

Lillith Valerian
08-07-2014, 04:52 PM
After leaving Defiance a couple days ago I went back to F3. 800+ hours and counting, and I'm still not tired of that game. Putting it back into my console felt like pulling on an absolute favorite pair of jeans that makes your @ss look good, vs. the knot in my stomach that I realized Defiance was causing me every day. I think F3 will always be my all-time favorite. You can see the pale imitation of aesthetics in....let's just say other games.

I miss people, so I'm watching the forums to see just how badly Defiance is going to burn. Some small part of me somewhere still hopes some miracle will happen, but.

N3gativeCr33p
08-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Putting it back into my console felt like pulling on an absolute favorite pair of jeans that makes your @ss look good. I think it'll always be my all-time favorite. You can see the pale imitation of aesthetics in....let's just say other games.

Well stated! :thumbsup:

konstantinov
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
After leaving Defiance a couple days ago I went back to F3. 800+ hours and counting, and I'm still not tired of that game. Putting it back into my console felt like pulling on an absolute favorite pair of jeans that makes your @ss look good. I think it'll always be my all-time favorite. You can see the pale imitation of aesthetics in....let's just say other games.

I miss people, so I'm watching the forums to see just how badly Defiance is going to burn. Some small part of me somewhere still hopes some miracle will happen, but.

That would be my camo or zebra print hot pants.

dramaQkarri
08-07-2014, 04:57 PM
That would be my camo or zebra print hot pants.

I thought we all agreed you were going to take those to the resale shop...

And +1 LILITH - yep.

konstantinov
08-07-2014, 04:59 PM
I thought we all agreed you were going to take those to the resale shop...

And +1 LILITH - yep.

Obviously you haven't seen me in them. You'd take those words locket and put in in your pocket.

dramaQkarri
08-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Obviously you haven't seen me in them. You'd take those words locket and put in in your pocket.

And you call Rick James inappropriate, lol!

CMac001
08-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I must agree. I find myself periodically roaming the wastes of DC or New Vegas, depending on how the mood hits me. Although I do come back because I miss helping out other players instead of the NPCs. Enjoy.