PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts being new to the game

teppic
08-07-2014, 12:49 PM
I've been a big fan of Rift (also being from Trion) and I loved the idea of a crossover TV series/MMO, so decided to give Defiance a go. I did actually buy the game a while back but never played it. I started playing properly about two or three weeks ago.

My first thoughts were that it was fun, but a bit samey - many missions being shoot lots of things, meet at the centre, shoot more of the same things again. The content seemed a bit low, especially compared to other MMOs, but I was having fun anyway. I bought all the DLC and three months of patron membership, expecting it would get much better in time.

Now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bothered. The expansion seems a let down -- I was expecting a huge amount of new content, not something tacked on to the side. The changes to key prices are plain ludicrous and go completely against the story (people in the series see 100 scrip as a lot of money, yet it's now 1m to get a box of usually near worthless stuff). Patron membership seems more or less pointless, and the daily rewards are a joke (~300 scrip?), especially in contrast to Rift, where Patron membership is fantastic and offers a ton of incentives - I can't see why the same company would treat F2P models so differently. The store has nothing much of interest, and Bits are insanely expensive.

As a result I'm starting to find the game tiresome instead. Taking part in an incursion becomes irritating as one or two people with detonators will just randomly spam the entire area with explosions, meaning nobody can see what they're doing. And at the end of it you're lucky to get anything drop at all, with not much chance of anything decent. So that feels like a total waste of time.

I also find it worrying that, being new to the forums, all I see are people very unhappy. I'm now wondering if I should just give up with it all together.

Etaew
08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
90% of us are on the forum to inform people about the boycott
but 256% of all statistics are made up

Iceberg
08-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Just want to say, welcome to Defiance teppic. You will find a lot of differences between rift and defiance, try not to let all the bad talk here on the forums persuade you from your fun though. That is a good first post if I ever saw one, hope to hear more about your insight in the game as the weeks go on. :)

bigguy
08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
According to VEGA its boycoot get it right or else the fanboys will call you a cry baby that wants everything for free just because you expect the game to actually work go figure.

Bentu
08-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Is that one made up?

bigguy
08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Dont you get it he made up a statistic...lol

Storm58
08-07-2014, 01:21 PM

You're silly... you can't have more than 200%, everyone knows that...

Copperpot
08-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Tara Reid said that a Sharknado could really happen. Statistically anyways.

teppic
08-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Just want to say, welcome to Defiance teppic. You will find a lot of differences between rift and defiance, try not to let all the bad talk here on the forums persuade you from your fun though. That is a good first post if I ever saw one, hope to hear more about your insight in the game as the weeks go on. :)

Cheers :) It's not that the forums stop making it fun, it's more the sense from here that the game might not have much of a future. I'm one of those odd people who likes crafting, so getting loot to upgrade weapons was good, but as things stand that's not looking too bright. Since the only real progression seems to be weapon upgrades, the game's lost a lot of appeal quite quickly.