PDA

View Full Version : Bit Market

Etaew
08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
There is a lot of work that needs to be done to Bits and Premium Content in Defiance, and various topics on them. So why not another point of view. I've played my fair share of Free to Play games, and something from their premium currency feels like it could belong in Defiance.

I would quite like to see a Bit Market, where currency was converted by Trion or from player input values. For example selling 10 Bits for 100 Arkforge. You lose 100 Arkforge and gain 10 Bits. (Exchange rates are pulled out of a magic hat, no thought given so far).

Having the possibility of earning premium content entire within the confines of the game with the time investment is a motivator.

I'd also like to see the DLCs put on the Bit Store so that players can purchase and apply them from within the game, as well as the potential opportunity to purchase them entirely from playing if they have the time.

Why not Reputation, Caeruleum Cores, Scrip? Although some items purchased by Bits can be considered Pay to Win (Lockboxes) the majority are cosmetic. However the other currencies listed do allow you to purchase items from stores, which I'd like to avoid.

Any big negatives to this train of thought that you guys can think of?

Kobalobasileus
08-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Great suggestions! It should definitely be possible to buy those other in-game currencies with Bits.

However, your reverse exchange rate for Bits and Arkforge seems waaaay off. 100 Forge if worth far more than a measly 10 Bits. Heck, if I could reverse that and pay 10 Bits for 100 Forge, I'd finally be able to spend my Ultimate Edition freebie Bits!

taco man 67
08-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Great suggestions! It should definitely be possible to buy those other in-game currencies with Bits.

However, your reverse exchange rate for Bits and Arkforge seems waaaay off. 100 Forge if worth far more than a measly 10 Bits. Heck, if I could reverse that and pay 10 Bits for 100 Forge, I'd finally be able to spend my Ultimate Edition freebie Bits!find me a way to get bits from ark salvage, and ill give u a pat on the back sir.[not sure what to do with the 40 million salvage I have

Etaew
08-09-2014, 10:37 AM
find me a way to get bits from ark salvage, and ill give u a pat on the back sir.[not sure what to do with the 40 million salvage I have

They could multiply all salvage prices by 10 like before? :) #inflation

konstantinov
08-09-2014, 10:38 AM
There is a lot of work that needs to be done to Bits and Premium Content in Defiance, and various topics on them. So why not another point of view. I've played my fair share of Free to Play games, and something from their premium currency feels like it could belong in Defiance.

I would quite like to see a Bit Market, where currency was converted by Trion or from player input values. For example selling 10 Bits for 100 Arkforge. You lose 100 Arkforge and gain 10 Bits. (Exchange rates are pulled out of a magic hat, no thought given so far).

Having the possibility of earning premium content entire within the confines of the game with the time investment is a motivator.

I'd also like to see the DLCs put on the Bit Store so that players can purchase and apply them from within the game, as well as the potential opportunity to purchase them entirely from playing if they have the time.

Why not Reputation, Caeruleum Cores, Scrip? Although some items purchased by Bits can be considered Pay to Win (Lockboxes) the majority are cosmetic. However the other currencies listed do allow you to purchase items from stores, which I'd like to avoid.

Any big negatives to this train of thought that you guys can think of?

I remember back in the day when they did bit sales. Double the bits for the same price. It was a cash cow. Problem now is the cow is sick with mad cow disease and is slowly dying. Sometimes the medicine works but most of the time it's a day to day thing. This game is still salvageable but it's going to take some serious work and additional funds from else where. It's possible they could do a kickstartr to raise the funds but I don't see that happening anywhere in the near future.

Aziure
08-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I think something like this would also solve an annoyance I've noticed in the cash store and in many other MMO games.
That problem is inconsistent pricing and selling currency in packages. A prime example of this would be the E-Rep Officer outfit which is in the store that costs 684 bits to buy.
Why 684 bits when the minimum amount of bits that I can purchase is 600? I'm either forced to buy 600 bits twice, or fork out for 2800 bits.
The problem is, I only want that one outfit, I've no interest in anything else.
The addition of a currency conversion would solve this issue and I'd end up not feeling that I was gouged for more money that I wouldn't be willing/have to spend as I could simply make up the difference from using in game currency.

Now I'd address the pricing of items in the store, but well that's a whole different topic.

Deunan
08-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Having the possibility of earning premium content entire within the confines of the game with the time investment is a motivator.Other games already do this. In Firefall Red Beans = bits. You can can convert Crystite, the games lowest form of currency into Credits, a game currency used to buy items from other players in the open market and the Credits can also be converted into Red Beans. Of course the ratios for each exchange are fairly high but it is feasible to get enough Red Beans over time to purchase items in the store.

Kanah
08-09-2014, 11:59 AM
It's a great idea. Players with more time could benefit those with more money and vice versa, and the overall result is Trion making money. It would also keep at bay some of the accusations of pay-to-win, since everything could be acquired by in-game activity given enough time and dedication.

For some reason though, our desire for any sort of player market has gotten nowhere. I don't know if that's just lack of resources to implement it, or opposition from somewhere in Trion for reasons unknown.

Etaew
08-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Other games already do this. In Firefall Red Beans = bits. You can can convert Crystite, the games lowest form of currency into Credits, a game currency used to buy items from other players in the open market and the Credits can also be converted into Red Beans. Of course the ratios for each exchange are fairly high but it is feasible to get enough Red Beans over time to purchase items in the store.

I've been playing and enjoying Firefall over the past few days, also noticed this mechanic on STO / Neverwinter.

Kershoc
08-09-2014, 07:41 PM
I've been playing and enjoying Firefall over the past few days, also noticed this mechanic on STO / Neverwinter.

It is a great mechanic. The whales buy up the cash currency. Trade it to the players who don't buy. The money flows. Everybody Wins.

Since you mention Firefall, I was in the beta for that for a few months before I started alpha testing Defiance. I'm also Huggs in there. Look me up if you ever need someone to hang with.

Smeejo
08-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. That was one of my favorite things about STO back when I played it. Didn't matter what I wanted I could get it just by spending more time in game.

The way Etaew suggested it also works in reverse so if I have some real money I can improve my in game characters cashflow to get more nades since I'm always running out LMAO

drackiller
08-10-2014, 12:30 AM
I sugest that people can trade currency in all forms, be it cores or AF.

Per example when i`m selling a gun people should discuss prices and the currency to pay the item, one could pay with Arkforge, arksalvage or cores and scrip ofcourse. I only exclude from this arrangement BITS, because they are real money.

It would be players choice to choose the currency freely.

heartbreak_courier
08-10-2014, 12:49 AM
I'd personally be all for this. If Trion isn't going to be able to implement an auction house with the possibility of selling things for arkforge, a kind of exchange like this could also be beneficial. STO has been brought up, and I think a similar system could work with Defiance.

The thing about F2P games is that there are going to be people who will never pay for anything for as long as they're playing the game. I've talked to people in Lord of the Rings Online who will grind out that game's version of premium currency across multiple characters to avoid spending money -- and that is one of the worst grinds I can imagine. Still, people do it. Same with STO, even though getting anything beyond the low priced cosmetics will require a lot of grinding for dilithium, people do it. It's not something easily done, either.

But! The upside to this is that you're still filling out the community. People are playing the game, interacting with others, and following the premium currency grind into areas of the game that require a lot of players to participate, such as raids or PVP. That makes the game a more pleasant experience for others who will eventually buy bits, because the game isn't nearly as empty as it would be otherwise. Implementing a Bits/Arkforge exchange would go a long way towards better player retention.