PDA

View Full Version : When does the Beta finish?

Here be Dragons
08-12-2014, 01:35 AM
I've been playing for just over a week and the game has enough potential that I bought DLC's and a Hunter pack. But the server lag just keeps getting worse, plus disconnections (often near the end of a long multi-part mission or major arkfall); and there are glitches like the trigger for a mission being stuck inside another object.

So, when is the game due to finish this beta testing and we can expect stability in the game?

horup79
08-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Love the ironi

jackdaws_1999
08-12-2014, 01:45 AM
With the speed of fixes that have been coming of late... about this time in 2020... if the fixes had come as quick as they were at the start... some time next spring.

This game doesnt qualify for Beta status... I certainly would never release a game in the state that defiance currently stands... even as a Beta. That said, I do honstly believe they are trying to fix things and get it working, I have every confidence in their intent... just not so much in their ability.

They also seem to be like someone new to a room trying to find the lightswitch when its pitch black. I would actually love to take a look at the code for them, Im pretty sure I could stream line the efforts to fix the code. Looking for bottlenecks in code is a speciality of mine... if only they would allow the untapped potential that the internets allows. This is especially so with the communities ideas for possible revenue streams, we seem to have alot of things we want to spend real money on, and trion seems dead set in giving us exactly NONE of that, and instead giving us things we DO NOT want to spend money on... Strange business practice if you ask me.

jackdaws_1999
08-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Love the ironi

No horup, you like the ironing... there is a difference.

Xzelian
08-12-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't you know? The game is "working as intended."

Pandur
08-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Alpha ends sometimes 2020. I didn't realize there was a Beta announced for Defiance yet.

Tharcion
08-12-2014, 04:55 AM
I'm always perplexed by people who expect online games to be lag-free and stable. Never played one before? Only ever played something which was 10 years old? Have no understanding of the nature of the internet?

Meanwhile... the game we are now playing is about a week old. How stable do you expect that to be? Trion are about as good as any other company at messing up working systems when they make changes, and they've broken working stuff in this one, as usual. They seem to be fixing it slower, which may indicate that it's more broken.

Unfortunately they've also created what has to be the most boring, tedious, useless, unrewarding, pile of c**p expansion so far (and given 7th Legion and some others I paid for that's saying much). A certain other game is coming out the day after my birthday and despite the fact that I'll want to buy an XBone to run it on, Defiance is probably going to become a "oh look, new content, might as well spend an hour in game this month" game.

Trion don't care, of course, I've bought all the Bits I was ever going to anyway.

Here be Dragons
08-12-2014, 05:15 AM
I'm always perplexed by people who expect online games to be lag-free and stable. Never played one before? Only ever played something which was 10 years old? Have no understanding of the nature of the internet?

Network lag I understand, and in an Eve Online battle with several thousand combatants lag is somewhat excusable. But over the past two days in particular, having a standard action like replenish ammo, self-rez, switch weapons, etc, take 30 seconds or more, is plain broken. And in chat I see other people describing the same problems.

The only response that I see from Trion is "We had a problem when free2play started. It should be fixed now."
But it is getting worse. And I care because the game is fun without the lag.

However, the level of lag has increased to the point where the game becomes unplayable.

(Since you ask about newer games, I find a remarkable contrast to Warframe, which IS still in beta; which has made substantial changes to systems like damage types, and yet continues to be very playable. )

squidgod2000
08-12-2014, 05:20 AM
So, when is the game due to finish this beta testing and we can expect stability in the game?

haha, omg your joke is so clever

OverDoneOne
08-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Beta how did you get to play the beta, I am still wondering when the Alpha will end

cmpowell
08-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Meanwhile... the game we are now playing is about a week old. How stable do you expect that to be?

Is this some strange form of sarcasm? this game is almost a 1 and a half old

dramaQkarri
08-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Is this some strange form of sarcasm? this game is almost a 1 and a half old

I think he means update 2.2

RobDaCool
08-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Love the ironi

The irony is; he admitted he spent money on something he believes is a beta ;)

N3gativeCr33p
08-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Network lag I understand, and in an Eve Online battle with several thousand combatants lag is somewhat excusable. But over the past two days in particular, having a standard action like replenish ammo, self-rez, switch weapons, etc, take 30 seconds or more, is plain broken. And in chat I see other people describing the same problems.

http://i.imgur.com/EqgJ626.gif

MadMoxxiFavGun
08-12-2014, 06:45 AM
i thought we still playing pre alpha lol

Arsenic_Touch
08-12-2014, 06:50 AM
You're going to need a sun dial and an abacus. Lots of paper too. Get ready for some long calculations.

Xeifer
08-12-2014, 07:51 AM
I've been playing for just over a week and the game has enough potential that I bought DLC's and a Hunter pack. But the server lag just keeps getting worse, plus disconnections (often near the end of a long multi-part mission or major arkfall); and there are glitches like the trigger for a mission being stuck inside another object.

To take the soulless uncaring business perspective on this, why do they need to fix the issues, it appears they got you into the game, and got you to spend money. I'm pretty much convinced now that this is their business plan - the high turnover revolving door plan - your now free to leave to create space for the next poor sap who is drawn in just long enough to spend some money. I for one will not spend any money until the issues are fixed. If they never fix the issues, they never get any money from me.

Yrkul
08-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Still in alpha. Deal with it.

Mia Faith
08-12-2014, 12:05 PM
I play other games online and I don't get disconnected or have invisible people or freeze. Have my car not show up when I call it or when I am driving I run into invisible people, walls or cars and my map not show up.

And I can talk to my friends

konstantinov
08-12-2014, 12:08 PM
You're going to need a sun dial and an abacus. Lots of paper too. Get ready for some long calculations.

If you figure it out I heard you win the Nobel Prize in mathematics.

jackdaws_1999
08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
I play other games online and I don't get disconnected or have invisible people or freeze. Have my car not show up when I call it or when I am driving I run into invisible people, walls or cars and my map not show up.

And I can talk to my friends

What is this witchcraft you speak of... Shes a witch Burn Her!

Or at least, that is my imagined view of mr Dempsey when he sees posts like that...

I am amazed that I have played games since they were programmed on an oscillascope (Pong) and not once have I had enemies that were houdini'd that werent part of the story and supposed to be as such... ala bioshock (where the houdini reference comes from I suspect, as opposed to the illusionist Houdini... unless the enemies weakspots is punching them in the stomach before they are plunged into a tank of water...). The absolute worst I have seen is enemies fall through the floor (Morrowind), but even these couldnt actually kill you... these houdini enemies in defiance have learnt new tricks...