PDA

View Full Version : A couple of comments/observations

teppic
08-13-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm still fairly new to the game, but here goes:

i) Now that loot drop has been reduced so much, there's not much point in the random spawns any more. Is anything going to be done about this? It takes a lot of effort to get, at best, a couple of grenade charges and a white weapon, with no chance of arkforge or keys. Since they are absolutely everywhere (you can barely drive 5 seconds without another), they're more of an annoyance now.

ii) When you do missions with NPC help, why do you always seem to generate the highest threat? I can be doing pretty much nothing and the mobs will still attack me rather than the NPCs firing at it.

iii) Scaling seems to be way off. In a swarm at level 3-5 it seems nearly impossible, you'll be flooded with tough enemies who can kill you in a couple of shots when you might only have 5 players over the whole map. It seems only feasible at level 10.

iv) There seems no easy way to find a guild. I don't think I've ever been invited to one, and nobody seems to advertise them on zone chat. I've found it the least sociable MMO I've played, perhaps because of this. (I'm on the PC version)

rosetta_cd_29A
08-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Well, there is a forum for clans, but it isn't the most obvious thing around.

http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?24-PC-Clans

Also, if you see someone with the <clan tag> under their name, ask them to join up !

But yeah, i agree, this is the most antisocial online game i have ever played.

Or you could always start your own clan and recruit people that you see on when you're on !

Dinova
08-13-2014, 06:36 AM
1) Well they give bits, i just pick em up as i go for bits of exp and 'goodfeeling'. Most casing, its nice aiming material when i drive by in my truck :D

2) NPC's are hapless, its a NPC for a reason. Its like they do help bits, but its still mostly you doing the work.

3) That is mostly due wich EGO rating people have around you. If you are like 1000, while 4 others are 4000+ expect a heavy fight. Do get a boost, but your health/shield wont, so a few hits kill is likely happening. However, going on fights with equaly or lower, you will notice its considerable easier. (thats why i hate it when high EGO's join the fun).

4) Only rarely you see it ingame (hell, chat is kinda dead most of the time), but there is a PC-clan section (EU and US).

Smeejo
08-13-2014, 06:37 AM
The item drops are kind of... over abundant right now but that is being addressed over time. See this link for details
http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=310

As far as I can tell in regards to npc's they are all pretty much useless as far as help in the missions go. Pretend they don't exist until the mission is finished and you will be more successful lol.

The scaling system can be a bit rough, especially at the lower ego levels. The best advice I can give you is to either play with a group at all times or when setting up your ego grid go with mostly defensive perks. Also, always keep your gear as close to your ego level as possible. I tend to use mostly white items for my weapons and whatever the best shield is I can get and keep them at about my ego level and that helps alot. In regards to your shields try to get ones that have 2 ablative armor and as close to 0 recharge delay as you can. Most respark shields I have seen are at about a 2.5sec recharge delay. The longer the delay the more likely you will die waiting for it to charge back up.

When it comes to clans, from what I've seen, very few will send messages out in zone/area advertizing their clan. If you see someone with a clan tag you can always ask them about their clan or hit up the clan section of the forums via the link Rosetta gave you and check out what's there. Some have requirements to join, others don't. Some are heavy into pvp others focus on pve while some also just do whatever.

There is this really awesome clan I've heard of called The Dawn Breakers that you might want to check out. We do pve/pvp/co-op and whatever else we happen to feel like doing. No requirements to join other then getting in contact with one of our recruiters (like rosetta) and letting them know you want to join. We have people all over the world IRL and as such have someone on at most hours and are getting more people as time goes by.

If you are on PC-NA you can feel free to hit me up with a message if you have questions or need help or anything else. My info is in my sig.

teppic
08-13-2014, 06:48 AM
If you are on PC-NA you can feel free to hit me up with a message if you have questions or need help or anything else. My info is in my sig.

Thanks for that. I'm on the EU servers, but if I decide to switch over I'll look your guild up.

Thanks for your other suggestions too. My ego is about 1000 and I've been finding it a bit tough solo, I think I haven't upgraded my gear properly so I'll have a look at that.

Tsort
08-13-2014, 07:24 AM
iv) There seems no easy way to find a guild. I don't think I've ever been invited to one, and nobody seems to advertise them on zone chat. I've found it the least sociable MMO I've played, perhaps because of this. (I'm on the PC version)
Bear in mind all the players are recovering from what... I'd say 7 or 8 months with a broken chat last year... so there are probably a lot of people who just gave up on chatting. And since you're switching shards without even realizing it (using teleport to friend or teleport to map buttons), I bet the clan chats are way more active. At least you're talking to the same people from a minute to the next there.

Deunan
08-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Now that loot drop has been reduced so much, there's not much point in the random spawns any more. Is anything going to be done about this? It takes a lot of effort to get, at best, a couple of grenade charges and a white weapon, with no chance of arkforge or keys. Since they are absolutely everywhere (you can barely drive 5 seconds without another), they're more of an annoyance now.If you're talking about emergencies that is pretty much how they were before the 1.5 update. You do the emergencies either for fulfillment of tasks for a pursuit, to clear the path for a time trial, or just for the sake of doing them. I am still getting occasional blue and purple loot drops from them so you might not be receiving them because of your EGO level or simply because of really bad luck.

When you do missions with NPC help, why do you always seem to generate the highest threat? I can be doing pretty much nothing and the mobs will still attack me rather than the NPCs firing at it.NPC's don't affect dynamic scaling or threat level. Whatever you're experiencing, it is not because of the NPC's. It might be because of other players going through the event zone or even camping it on the edge of the area.

Scaling seems to be way off. In a swarm at level 3-5 it seems nearly impossible, you'll be flooded with tough enemies who can kill you in a couple of shots when you might only have 5 players over the whole map. It seems only feasible at level 10.What is your EGO rating? If you're tanking you need to make sure you have the right load out. Otherwise you have to use cover to limit the number of enemies that can fire at you. If you are having problems at threat levels 3 to 5, the only reason threat level 10 may feel easier is because high EGO players are carrying you by drawing most of the agro and keeping numbers manageable with high kill rates.

There seems no easy way to find a guild. I don't think I've ever been invited to one, and nobody seems to advertise them on zone chat. I've found it the least sociable MMO I've played, perhaps because of this. (I'm on the PC version)As your EGO rating increases, you'll start getting random invites from clans. If you consistently place high on the scoreboards you may also get an invite even at a lower EGO rating. Some clans also have an EGO requirement. Try asking players you meet at events, especially co-op maps, if you can add them to your friends list. If they're in a clan they may eventually invite you after doing a few more events with them.

teppic
08-13-2014, 11:34 AM
If you're talking about emergencies that is pretty much how they were before the 1.5 update. You do the emergencies either for fulfillment of tasks for a pursuit, to clear the path for a time trial, or just for the sake of doing them. I am still getting occasional blue and purple loot drops from them so you might not be receiving them because of your EGO level or simply because of really bad luck.

Not sure how to do the broken down quotes -

I mean the various spawn points on roads mostly. It's true you can avoid them, but it takes quite a long time to complete one and the drops are now very poor. I was getting blue and purple weapons before - now none.

The NPC question was separate from the rest. In missions you've often got one or more NPCs involved, and if you're soloing it I've found that the mobs will still go for me even if I'm not attacking them. It'd be more realistic for them to ignore the player if being attacked by NPCs.

My rating's 1200. What I was saying is that at the lower threat levels you seem to get toughened up enemies, but so many of them you're completely overwhelmed as there are only a few players. At the higher levels it's still hard, but the balance is far more even of mobs vs players.

I'm normally top 10 in the things I'm doing, sometimes top 3 or 5. I've done loads of side quests though and the full Arkforge questline, so I might be in the more beginner areas still. I haven't really done co-ops as so far I don't know anyone in the game and chat is completely dead.

KasperSheitup
08-13-2014, 11:54 AM
The various spawn points on roads are what is called emergencies. :)
They've never really given out good loot but it also depends on threat level (TL). If you're doing them at TL10 rather than 3 you will get better loot.

The NPC thing is just the way that it is coded. Mobs will always just go for you unless unable to target you or you haven't been e threat yet. Sometimes they'll target you very quickly and sometimes they are plain dumb. I don't know.

The TL system is hard to get a grip on and it might seem skewed to you but it is working as intended.

I think you'd be welcome to join my clan, Blood Oath Brotherhood if you play on PC EU. Just do a shout out in zone chat that you'd like to talk to someone from Blood Oath Brotherhood or that you'd like to join. We are a large clan that pretty much let's everyone join which means we have members from very new to max EGO level, some good players and some really good players...
You can msg people in game by doing /w theirnick message - officers that are probably online now and can recruit you to BoB is Drunk/Local Asset/Brainwerm/Strom

teppic
08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
I think you'd be welcome to join my clan, Blood Oath Brotherhood if you play on PC EU. Just do a shout out in zone chat that you'd like to talk to someone from Blood Oath Brotherhood or that you'd like to join. We are a large clan that pretty much let's everyone join which means we have members from very new to max EGO level, some good players and some really good players...
You can msg people in game by doing /w theirnick message - officers that are probably online now and can recruit you to BoB is Drunk/Local Asset/Brainwerm/Strom

I'd seen the clan mentioned in the forum and did actually msg one of the officers an hour or so ago, didn't get a reply though. I'll have a look for those ones now.

Deunan
08-13-2014, 12:08 PM
The NPC's don't do much damage. That's a feature so you don't loose opportunities for points by having the NPC's kill mobs before you can. The tradeoff is that the low damage will prevent them from drawing any mob agro most of the time. You can make a suggestion with a feedback report if you feel the tradeoff isn't worth it. They might consider it. I found out in Firefall last night that the opposite is true for that game. The NPC's for your missions that assist you can do some hefty damage. They outnumbered me in the mission I did last night and I performed so poorly that they ended up killing a lot of the mobs before I could get to them and took a lot of the aggro as well. >^^<

Different events scale differently in terms of mobs generated. Some of the conflict sites generate a disproportionately large number of mobs at lower threat levels compared to other events or conflict sites. It's just the way they chose to design it. Again you can file a feedback report on a particular location or event if you would like the numbers to scale less higher but bear in mind that they have already made multiple adjustments in difficulty both in number of mobs and scaling of mob health to accommodate similar player feedback.

I recommend you do the co-op maps. There are a decent amount of EGO rating points tied to tasks and pursuits for them and when you complete the pursuits you get a new outfit as part of the reward as well. Just use the matchmaking feature to put yourself into the queue for one of the maps that is a daily contract and you'll be placed in the map with 3 other players in your group to complete the map.