PDA

View Full Version : So the Golden Gate is Fixed?!

BJWyler
08-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Don't know if anyone else caught it, or if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but the glimpse I got of the GG at the end of tonight's episode looked in much better shape than the one I've driven over a few times in game.

I mean is it really that hard for Trion and SyFy to get on the same page and make the crossover content look like it actually is crossover content? Varus was bad enough, but come on for cryin' out loud. First the game, and now the show are becoming more and more disappointing as time goes on. But on the bright side, I guess we should be happy that there wasn't a needless, pointless, gratuitous sex scene this week!

Sliverbaer
08-14-2014, 06:35 PM
They drive through what would be the Bug 'n Chug.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/14898791496_e1330837ab.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oGycDs)

EDIT: I hope that gets edited for the Blu-Ray.

EDIT2: It didn't get edited for the Blu-Ray.

BIEBERyoloSWAG
08-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Well we can drive across it. It's not like it's destroyed, it's just damaged

BJWyler
08-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Well we can drive across it. It's not like it's destroyed, it's just damaged

Kinda not:
http://realmillenniumgroup.homestead.com/files/Defiance/Defiance41.jpg

We can drive across the SF side of it, but it's pretty much toast on the Bug N Chug side, and nothing like we just saw in the show.

Jet1337
08-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Maybe the show takes place in the future!!!

drackiller
08-15-2014, 12:26 AM

Or a different reality ;)

heartbreak_courier
08-15-2014, 01:28 AM
I don't know who's giving or who's taking, but I sincerely hope someone gets Trion and Syfy back on the same page for this whole crossover thing someday. Every time it's the show's turn to bring the story over, they drop the ball.

Midori Oku
08-15-2014, 01:38 AM
I noticed it right away, and was very disappointed.

Escyos
08-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Actually I think it was to not confuse the everyday viewers, a kick in the pants for the rest of us though.

Did anyone else see Indya's (Indo-sapiens Kenya) map of the lower Bay Area, either an old map or another oversight.

Bonehead
08-15-2014, 01:41 AM
I don't know who's giving or who's taking, but I sincerely hope someone gets Trion and Syfy back on the same page for this whole crossover thing someday. Every time it's the show's turn to bring the story over, they drop the ball.

My opinion only but I think you got that backward. Either way the crossovers are pretty weak.

Midori Oku
08-15-2014, 01:48 AM
Actually I think it was to not confuse the everyday viewers, a kick in the pants for the rest of us though.

What about an alien vs. human war, or gigantic spaceship debris smashing into buildings, bridges, and monuments would the "everyday viewer" not understand? Surly they would figure that there is a vast amount of destruction across the planet. But that's just me.

BJWyler
08-15-2014, 05:39 AM
What about an alien vs. human war, or gigantic spaceship debris smashing into buildings, bridges, and monuments would the "everyday viewer" not understand? Surly they would figure that there is a vast amount of destruction across the planet. But that's just me.

Well, to Escyos' point, I can understand why they did it - it's an iconic symbol of the Bay Area. But that makes it all the more disappointing for the reasons you mention, since, as Escyos pointed out, we also glimpsed Kenya's map in the next scene and couldn't miss the words San Francisco. Having the GG destroyed as it was in the game, and seeing the map would have made for a more poignant tone for those last few scenes.

Not to mention the fact, that if Kenya is traveling to Paradise to see Eren (obviously set up earlier in the show), then she forgot to get off the bus at the right stop. Another disappointment. One could say that she has no idea where Eren would be at, but in that case, the logical thing to do would be to go to the consulate and ask. It wouldn't make sense to send a land coach into the wasteland that is San Francisco, and somewhat still of a warzone with the E-Rep mopping up Dark Matter.

My opinion only but I think you got that backward. Either way the crossovers are pretty weak.
I would normally agree with this statement 100%, but I think this time the blame has to squarely rest on SyFy's shoulders. I could understand if we had the option to travel to Defiance in the game and it's nothing like we see in the show. Yes, that would be Trion dropping the ball, but since Trion rules over the Bay Area and has established what we see there, I think it is incumbent upon SyFy to ensure that material is translated well to the show.

Thus far, we have seen Trion making good efforts with the parts of Rynn and Stahma, and thus far SyFy being completely craptastic in their efforts with Varus, and now the show's first glimpse of the actual Bay Area. Wholly disappointing, especially since one of my main reasons for playing the game and watching the show was to see this cross-media content. If this is what we will be getting as SOP, then I am done with the show after this season, and done with the game after I finish my pursuits.

MadDogTremor
08-15-2014, 08:01 AM
BJWyler (http://forums.defiance.com/member.php?6190531-BJWyler)

Very well said on all aspects. I stand on a similar plane of reasoning.

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 08:58 AM

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/14898791496_e1330837ab.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oGycDs)

EDIT: I hope that gets edited for the Blu-Ray.

What episode was this?:confused::eek::confused:

It is set in the immediate future about 2 years or so from the events at the start of the game when w meet Nolan and Irisa still working as Ark Hunters before they moved to Defiance having said that 2 years or so is too short to have the bridge fixed. Syfy should have paid more attention to detail for sure in whatever episode that was

Sliverbaer
08-15-2014, 09:43 AM
What episode was this?:confused::eek::confused:

Season 2 Episode 9 - Painted from Memory - Aired 8/14/2014

EDIT: This is at the end where there's the 'end-of-the-episode-reflections-and-life-in-defiance-lessons' like in most of the episodes.

Strykewolf
08-15-2014, 09:58 AM

EDIT: This is at the end where there's the 'end-of-the-episode-reflections-and-life-in-defiance-lessons' like in most of the episodes.

Faulty memory. ;)

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Yesterday's episode? Man I do not recall seeing that, the drama over Keny's loss was so intense, it was one of the most saddest episodes ever on the show poor Amanda and I do not want Staamah to die but her crime cannot go unpunished either.

Nefarious
08-15-2014, 10:17 AM

http://realmillenniumgroup.homestead.com/files/Defiance/Defiance41.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Dd2Jnu.gif

BJWyler
08-15-2014, 11:51 AM
It is set in the immediate future about 2 years or so from the events at the start of the game when w meet Nolan and Irisa still working as Ark Hunters before they moved to Defiance having said that 2 years or so is too short to have the bridge fixed. Syfy should have paid more attention to detail for sure in whatever episode that was

Not possible. As I recall, it was established early on that when Nolan and Irisa made off with the Gem in the first Episode arc, it took them two weeks to reach Defiance, which was the debut episode. We also had Rynn make an appearance in the Bay Area shortly after Nolan let her go with the incident of the land coach hijacking. We also were part of sending the IBM missile to Defiance that had the cure for the plague. So the time frames for the show and game pretty much happen concurrently.

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Not possible. As I recall, it was established early on that when Nolan and Irisa made off with the Gem in the first Episode arc, it took them two weeks to reach Defiance, which was the debut episode. We also had Rynn make an appearance in the Bay Area shortly after Nolan let her go with the incident of the land coach hijacking. We also were part of sending the IBM missile to Defiance that had the cure for the plague. So the time frames for the show and game pretty much happen concurrently.

Well in the game nothing about the gem appears that I'm aware off, all that is heard about them is the Shondu consulate where they ask for information about them.

Blakkheim
08-15-2014, 12:32 PM
But on the bright side, I guess we should be happy that there wasn't a needless, pointless, gratuitous sex scene this week!

Being a full blown Game of Thrones imitator (rather than an allegory on real life race relations), of course side boob has to make a recurring appearance or make-up over nipples since nipples are bad, mmmkay.

Stahma is Cersei right down to the fake smile, body language and accent, that I forget I'm watching Defiance and not GoT.

Festival
08-15-2014, 12:47 PM
I think the main reason behind the intact Golden Gate was because it was included in the scene to provide instantaneous recognition of the scene's location. It's a pretty common film technique to use iconic landmarks to do that. The Las Vegas sign, the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, etc., are all used in film and television to allow a couple-second scene to establish location. That's what they were doing here, I suspect...and a mangled Golden Gate wouldn't accomplish that nearly as reliably.

Personally, I think they should have used the in-game version anyway and reinforced the location with an additional element (a pre-war "San Francisco" road sign...that sort of thing). But see why they did it this way...

Plus, I suspect it was a readily-available (read: vastly less expensive and time-consuming than making their own) cgi stock resource. Production deadlines are the reality of making movies and tv shows.

CRIXDA
08-15-2014, 01:23 PM

in my opinion the entire thing is a piece of garbo.
we are wasting our time.
why do we keep doing this?
I am very close to closing shop.

Bonehead
08-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Thus far, we have seen Trion making good efforts with the parts of Rynn and Stahma, and thus far SyFy being completely craptastic in their efforts with Varus, and now the show's first glimpse of the actual Bay Area. Wholly disappointing, especially since one of my main reasons for playing the game and watching the show was to see this cross-media content. If this is what we will be getting as SOP, then I am done with the show after this season, and done with the game after I finish my pursuits.

Agreed .

Bonehead
08-15-2014, 02:57 PM
in my opinion the entire thing is a piece of garbo.
we are wasting our time.
why do we keep doing this?
I am very close to closing shop.

I still enjoy it. When I don't anymore, I'm done.

No drama, easy peasy.

I gave up on the game EVER being what it could have been a long time ago.

BJWyler
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Well in the game nothing about the gem appears that I'm aware off, all that is heard about them is the Shondu consulate where they ask for information about them.

What you are hearing are the Echelon mercenaries hired by Varus to hunt them down (which crossed over into the Season 1 finale of the show). That was the fourth Episode mission arc in the game. The mission arc with the gem was the first Episode mission arc, which was originally active when the game launched (the show debuted two weeks afterwards). All the Episode missions are replayable, so you can play those events. I just don't remember the mission name off the top of my head (it should be the one that is south of the statrocarrier crash site in Mount Tam).

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 06:12 PM
I think the main reason behind the intact Golden Gate was because it was included in the scene to provide instantaneous recognition of the scene's location. It's a pretty common film technique to use iconic landmarks to do that. The Las Vegas sign, the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, etc., are all used in film and television to allow a couple-second scene to establish location. That's what they were doing here, I suspect...and a mangled Golden Gate wouldn't accomplish that nearly as reliably.

Personally, I think they should have used the in-game version anyway and reinforced the location with an additional element (a pre-war "San Francisco" road sign...that sort of thing). But see why they did it this way...

Plus, I suspect it was a readily-available (read: vastly less expensive and time-consuming than making their own) cgi stock resource. Production deadlines are the reality of making movies and tv shows.

Sadly I believe you re right as using existing stock footage is always cheaper than to create something from scratch.

Chocolatelover67
10-29-2014, 02:54 AM
So now this scene is actually listed as a technical goof? WTF?

How on Earth is this a goof? Either the bridge is fixed or not fixed and now a crappy explanation for the non fixed bridge in the game, being a technical goof on the TV show.

/facepalm

Atticus Batman
10-29-2014, 02:56 AM
So now this scene is actually listed as a technical goof? WTF?

How on Earth is this a goof? Either the bridge is fixed or not fixed and now a crappy explanation for the non fixed bridge in the game, being a technical goof on the TV show.

/facepalm

Easy it is not fixed. The scifi crew were just too lazy to alter the footage and instead showed a regular shot of the bridge. Besides if it were fixed in game, it would ruin pretty much every mission that takes part on the bridge, since they are made to take part on the broken bridge.

Chocolatelover67
10-30-2014, 01:56 AM
Easy it is not fixed. The scifi crew were just too lazy to alter the footage and instead showed a regular shot of the bridge. Besides if it were fixed in game, it would ruin pretty much every mission that takes part on the bridge, since they are made to take part on the broken bridge.

How? The monolith can still sit on the end of the fixed bridge?

You could still climb the bridge to mount the Arkfall transmitter.

I don't see a fixed bridge ruining too much except maybe Von Bach being thrown off the bridge by Nim.........

BTW where on the ground did he land I'm trying to find the exact spot..

Atticus Batman
10-30-2014, 02:04 AM
I believe it was the island under the bridge, but don't remember because I haven't done the main storyline in quite awhile.

Bonehead
10-30-2014, 02:06 AM
He was dropped through a hole in the bridge after the meeting between Nim and Cooper when they lost the cell. I always thought he went into the drink.

Chocolatelover67
10-30-2014, 05:42 PM
He was dropped through a hole in the bridge after the meeting between Nim and Cooper when they lost the cell. I always thought he went into the drink.

Same here I got the impression Nim threw him into the water to drown......

Nim is a bit of an idiot though.

Had his plan succeeded he'd be dead, everyone would be dead and it was pointless......

Pity there is no cutscene for if you fail that mission........ That could have been interesting..

Howcome the Ark Core wasn't on the TV show.........