PDA

View Full Version : So let me try and wrap my head around tonights episode...

Nefarious
08-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Lets take the good that could be taking from it... it looks like Kenya is probably going to cross over into the game. But really to what end? Shes not Kenya, she is someone else and she knows that so whats going to happen with this character?

Quentin McCawley is back and that's cool because he was the terrorist who held "Kenya" hostage and is working for the Votan Collective? Or Malok's group? But he's a human.. so what that will lead to be will be interesting.

And now for the lame stuff. It was pretty uneventful in finding out a lot of episode build up's was just so Pottinger could take Amanda memories just to make a false Kenya so he could pretend to save her to get on Amandas good favor... what? Thats pretty far fetched and a crazy amount of work. So lets go over what Pottinger thinks what needs to be done to get a girl to like him...

-Appoint Amanda as lead adviser... good start.

-put a stop to the Adreno trade in town and acquire all remaining Adreno, all to get Amanda not being able to acquire Adreno herself.. hmm.. ok.. (he could of used this in showing and letting her know he wants to help her kick her bad habit by getting rid of all the drugs in town, that would of been a nice gesture.)

-(Instead) show her you are her only contact to get Adreno in town so she hangs out with you and lets her guard down.. pretty low..

-use executive orders as town Mayor to release a Indogene prisoner along with her demand of also releasing the towns worst criminal in whom killed a high ranking E-Rep officer along with being connected with countless other undisclosed crimes...

-get VBI Ego devices.. cool

-With the help of the Indogene Scientist just released from prison take the Ego devices and put them in Amanda to extract her memories which in turn drive Amanda psychotic...nice thing to do to your wannabe future girl friend.

-get an Indogene body to replicate a fake Kenya Rosewater who is Amanda's dead sister....wat?

-use those memories extracted from Amanda from the Ego devices and implant them into fake Kenya so she seems more like she is Amanda's sister...

-Do all this work just to lead to a fake Kenya Rosewater and hope to pretend to be the hero of being the one to reunite Amanda with her sister?

-Profit???

Its waaay to out there.. even for Defiance. Like that's what the Ego device ended up being for? That's the reason he released Doc Yewll. To try to fool Amanda? Not in any way have this lead in him in trying to find the Kaziri? It was all in hopes to make a girl like him? What!? Pottinger now sucks!

He went from looking like to potentially being a Doctor Doom type villain with such power move acts in controlling the former Mayor and only opposing political figure in town with a drug fix. Acquiring the obedience of super smart Indogene Scientist. Having control and corporation over the towns #1 Crime Lord. And evicting the only guy from his home, work, and place of power who was the one threat who could possibly lead a uprising against his power... All this stuff he had going for him but instead he used his resources in the end to try and fool a Chick into liking him and in turn throwing all that other stuff he had going for him away?....wat da ****.

This is what a lot of the build up for this season came to? What is this?

Bonehead
08-14-2014, 10:13 PM
To your first point, until they get a decent writing staff, nothing will happen with the character assuming she makes it into the game. They have had no real story development since the original team was let go. Just some poorly written fetch missions. Not too bad taken as side missions, but nothing to write home about for sure.

As far as the show goes, only time will tell.

Market
08-14-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't think this was his ultimate goal... at least I hope it wasn't. The problem here is that I'm having trouble coming up with any other motivation for it. Unless he's after the Kaziri and doesn't know anything about its current location. Maybe he's after the Need/Want and desires the simple life of a bartender... I don't know, I just don't want it to be some after-school special plot line where the shy kid likes the popular girl and comes up with a hair-brained scheme just to get her to notice him.

I'm totally lost on what Quentin's motivations are here. I know he's ticked off at Rafe over the whole family thing, but taking part in boiling up a new Kenya just threw me off.

I can't accept that they've been cooking this up for this whole season to make all about Pottinger defrosting Amanda... There has to be more to it than that. There better be more to it than that. lol

Bonehead
08-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Don't underestimate Pottinger's mental illness. This whole thing makes perfect sense to him.

Market
08-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Don't underestimate Pottinger's mental illness. This whole thing makes perfect sense to him.

Oh, I fully realize he's pow shtako crazy... I just didn't want to believe he's that shortsighted. I mean, if his primary goal is to get Amanda horizontal, there is a terribly easy way to win her favor. He could abandon E-Rep and feed them a story about how the town fell to an uprising, thereby satisfying Amanda's desire to get out from under their control. If he's devious enough to create this long term plan as Nef summed up, he's certainly devious enough to fake his own death at the hands of a rebellion.

Then he could be the one in the mines instead of the Doc. Or he could climb the arch and do an impression of Quasimodo... I don't know... anything else but what was made out to be his true intentions this evening. lol

Bonehead
08-14-2014, 11:43 PM
I think it's way more convoluted and intricate than just getting her horizontal. I think it's a kind of a bridge from his world to hers that he wants her to cross, if that makes any sense.

Ekik
08-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Besides how wacky the reasoning behind the actions is, is anyone else confused how this indogene has it's life expectancy shortened to a few months while every other human impersonator is capable of living out the rest of their natural lives? And why wouldn't the Kenya impersonator tell Amanda about the doctor and the Pottinger? Both because she has a sisterly connection because of the memories, and to get revenge for what they did to her as a indogene?

N3gativeCr33p
08-15-2014, 06:31 AM
I know this much... Pottinger should leave the E-Rep and become a Stormtrooper. His aim with a gun is horrendous!

BJWyler
08-15-2014, 06:45 AM
And don't forget about this:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?171764-So-the-Golden-Gate-is-Fixed-!

I am completely baffled as to the writing on this show for this season - actually, I'm not. This episode makes perfect sense when you take it with the last few episodes following the opening two. It's just one big futuristic soap opera. Pottinger's machinations make sense in that it is a typical soap opera plot (which in the end make no sense if you try to analyze any of them logically).

Here we see EGO devices being used that have no relation to the ones established in game - even those being used by Von Bach at this point. It is simply a plot device so that Trion and SyFy can say "Look - it's crossover content!" Season two started on such a high note except for poor character development of Amanda. Now, it's pretty much gone to crap. This episode was nothing more than a new spin on the one from last year with the Bravery Nine Astronaut.

Ultimately, what could have been an epic two episode comeback, with ramifications for the remainder of the season was completely wasted. The SyFy Defiance writing team is really dropping the ball here. There are better stories coming out of fan fiction than what I have seen for most of this season.

Flank
08-15-2014, 06:50 AM
I know this much... Pottinger should leave the E-Rep and become a Stormtrooper. His aim with a gun is horrendous!

Yeah it is..

Flank
08-15-2014, 07:00 AM
So Quinten returns to show.. and was burning the mask at the end of show.
So he is working for the VC?.. appears so. Could be interesting.

Doc has moved to the mines. This left me wondering.
Is this the safest place to hide her for DEFIANCE?
Seeing as they have pulled Ark Tech from those mines
and Doc seems to know more about that stuff then anyone.
Things may get intense with a plot twist.

The indogene Kenya is heading our way to Paradise.
While we will prob get her in game.. her life span is
3 months.. so it would appear her visit is going to be
short lived.

I wish we would have got a lil more of an idea whats going
on with Irisa and her "friends"... maybe an Incursion coming?

Perchta
08-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Maybe the Defiance writers are on strike and the wardrobe dept has taken over their duties.

JJack
08-15-2014, 07:11 AM
I think it's way more convoluted and intricate than just getting her horizontal.

I should hope so, considering if that was his goal, a few bucks at the Need/Want would've gotten him that. It's not like Amanda hasn't slept with half the town already.

Perchta
08-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Perhaps our encounter with Kenya will be to help her find the doctor that can return her normal indogene lifespan to her.

Lorchra
08-15-2014, 08:03 AM
The indogene Kenya is heading our way to Paradise.
While we will prob get her in game.. her life span is
3 months.. so it would appear her visit is going to be
short lived.

It would be a good Episode Mission to help Eren find a way to extend Kenya's life span.

Dammit, lol. 1 minute late.

Flank
08-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Yeah could be a sweet lil mission.

KasperSheitup
08-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Is Kenya coming to Paradise to finally open the bar at the Crater?!?!

Nefarious
08-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm totally lost on what Quentin's motivations are here. I know he's ticked off at Rafe over the whole family thing, but taking part in boiling up a new Kenya just threw me off.

Well Quentin wasn't part of the plan working for Pottinger. Quentin and his squad raided a E-Rep establishment and executed the staff there. Remember Kenya saw guys with E-Rep tats getting killed? Then when they were about to kill Kenya, Quentin said no because he knew who she was or thought she was and could use her as leverage in the future if need be. Quentin is the one who put a wrench in Pottinger's plans by taking Kenya away. Or at least that's how it looks unless Quentin is a double agent or something..

Besides how wacky the reasoning behind the actions is, is anyone else confused how this indogene has it's life expectancy shortened to a few months while every other human impersonator is capable of living out the rest of their natural lives? And why wouldn't the Kenya impersonator tell Amanda about the doctor and the Pottinger? Both because she has a sisterly connection because of the memories, and to get revenge for what they did to her as a indogene?

Doc Yewll expressed how they didn't have the right technology to do it right like they did on the Arks. She said it was 'new'. So Indo-Kenya is a off shoot brand and not as good as the real thing.

Yes it was very weird how she didn't tell Amanda as she was twisting her arm that "Its was Pottinger and Doc Yewll who are behind this!" and then left. That would of made the most sense but it didn't happen. I was sure that Pottinger was going to die in this episode, it was just to easy for parties involved to blow his cover.

Yakalfurd
08-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Am I the only one who sees the fact that Pottinger is the guy who ***** Amanda in New York and that's what his craziness is all about.

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Oh, I fully realize he's pow shtako crazy... I just didn't want to believe he's that shortsighted. I mean, if his primary goal is to get Amanda horizontal, there is a terribly easy way to win her favor. He could abandon E-Rep and feed them a story about how the town fell to an uprising, thereby satisfying Amanda's desire to get out from under their control. If he's devious enough to create this long term plan as Nef summed up, he's certainly devious enough to fake his own death at the hands of a rebellion.

Then he could be the one in the mines instead of the Doc. Or he could climb the arch and do an impression of Quasimodo... I don't know... anything else but what was made out to be his true intentions this evening. lol

A better question is what does the good Doc former war criminal gets from helping a clearly mentally unstable man?

Perchta
08-15-2014, 10:14 AM
A better question is what does the good Doc former war criminal gets from helping a clearly mentally unstable man?

Silence from the mentally unstable ******

Sliverbaer
08-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one who sees the fact that Pottinger is the guy who ***** Amanda in New York and that's what his craziness is all about.

I was thinking that also...

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 11:06 AM

A very interesting and quite plausible theory. Is too bad they do not have an aftershow like Falling Skies, The Walking Dead and Teen Wolf do.

BJWyler
08-15-2014, 11:38 AM

No. One of the unfortunate things about the SyFy Defiance writers is that they pretty much set up stuff like this and make it quite obvious what the denouement will be. This was obvious as soon as Amanda told the story.

Doc Yewll expressed how they didn't have the right technology to do it right like they did on the Arks. She said it was 'new'. So Indo-Kenya is a off shoot brand and not as good as the real thing.

Yes it was very weird how she didn't tell Amanda as she was twisting her arm that "Its was Pottinger and Doc Yewll who are behind this!" and then left. That would of made the most sense but it didn't happen. I was sure that Pottinger was going to die in this episode, it was just to easy for parties involved to blow his cover.
More holes in the writing. The whole concept behind creating the Indo-Kenya via Amanda's memories are flawed. That would give her the personality, and memories of Amanda, not Kenya. It would have been very short term anyway, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense in that sense.

BJWyler
08-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Oops, wrong button!

Allocater
08-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Well, at least thanks to this episode, I will no longer be mad if they cancel the show.

When they announced that S3 will be about global interactions between the Votan and Human empires, and S4 will go back to space, I was thinking, that is amazing and wanted the show to continue. But after that beyond stupid episode, it might as well just get canceled after S2.

PunkMaister
08-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Well, at least thanks to this episode, I will no longer be mad if they cancel the show.

When they announced that S3 will be about global interactions between the Votan and Human empires, and S4 will go back to space, I was thinking, that is amazing and wanted the show to continue. But after that beyond stupid episode, it might as well just get canceled after S2.

Just ONE bad episode is not reason to cancel a show common....

Bonehead
08-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Yeah could be a sweet lil mission.

Only if they hire a real writer.
Otherwise it's just more side quest fetch fluff.

Bonehead
08-15-2014, 03:05 PM

That was a symptom of his disease, not the cause.

Flank
08-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Only if they hire a real writer.
Otherwise it's just more side quest fetch fluff.

is more likey the scenario. Gonna be short lived.