PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Data Visits Trion HQ

Etaew
08-16-2014, 06:32 AM
For those who follow DD's news section you may have noticed a post appear last week talking about my trip to Trion HQ. You might have also noticed that it wasn't posted on the forums, I wanted to see what kind of reception it had locally first.

In the article you can see the devs making an effort with the community in and out of the work environment, so I invite you to read and look at some of the pictures from the visit.

Read Article (http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=314)

Big Jack Shepard
08-16-2014, 06:49 AM
I've been using your site since the earliest days. You helped me find all of those damned recorders.

I really appreciate the work that you have done for the community.

It worries me to see you this close to the company. Maybe it is a jobs/resume thing for you, if so, so be it.

Best of luck and I will try to keep this in perspective.

Etaew
08-16-2014, 06:53 AM
It worries me to see you this close to the company.

It's a fair point, but don't worry. I'm not a propaganda piece, and I've always remained critical of what I see as flaws in design, communication and implementation. In fact some of these we are able to speak about during the visit.

crazyged
08-16-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm just jealous you got a "Precious"! :D

hardy83
08-16-2014, 07:05 AM
You got a hellbug pulshie!?

Damn you! Why don't they sell those stupid things!

alred
08-16-2014, 07:21 AM

Agreed. They'd make some decent money for those. I kinda wish I could get a few "action" figures from the game. I seem to recall a company that was able to make actual 3d castings of WOW characters. I think it would be cool to get one of my defiance toon.

Etaew
08-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Agreed. They'd make some decent money for those. I kinda wish I could get a few "action" figures from the game. I seem to recall a company that was able to make actual 3d castings of WOW characters. I think it would be cool to get one of my defiance toon.

Yup they should sell game merchandise, especially the plushie and I'd really love a 3d model of my character, I did investigate it with a 3d printer and the extracted meshes from the game client but I haven't actually run off a print yet. You know money and things, not to mention legal if I do it for others.

hardy83
08-16-2014, 07:24 AM

Wow gives access to the models in the game to sties with APIs. Defiance wouldn't.
The only way to do that would be if someone like Etaew use the Defiancedata model viewers to let you build custom character models as well as make them higher quality models.
Then letting you save that data in a format that 3d printing sites or printers can use.

Which would be pretty awesome. lol I can picture someone making a bunch of Defiance characters and making a D&D game out of them.

alred
08-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Wow gives access to the models in the game to sties with APIs. Defiance wouldn't.
The only way to do that would be if someone like Etaew use the Defiancedata model viewers to let you build custom character models as well as make them higher quality models.
Then letting you save that data in a format that 3d printing sites or printers can use.

Which would be pretty awesome. lol I can picture someone making a bunch of Defiance characters and making a D&D game out of them.

Blizzard gave access to a company that gave players a chance to own a bust or full figure of their in game toon. It wasn't cheap either. I think the full figure was something like 130 bucks, the bust was half of that. It's called FigurePrints. But then again, Blizzard allowed access to character data and AH from outside of the game. Trion doesn't, though I think they should.

Yrkul
08-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Or Warhammer 40K armies.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuvVmEi41R2FHey_n6choFctIVWAcgy pg-fKHWIiBqVIpMEVhE

Covington

I would be happy if the show (and I guess the game too) had tee-shirts. Nice ones, like them olden days when shirts had scenes and characters on them, not just those fancy words.

ironcladtrash
My issues with them aside for a minute this is actually pretty cool they did that.

It's a fair point, but don't worry. I'm not a propaganda piece, and I've always remained critical of what I see as flaws in design, communication and implementation. In fact some of these we are able to speak about during the visit.

Can you elaborate on any of that? Did you gain any new insight or perspective? I would really like to read that.

Holy Bahamut3
08-16-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm with ironclad I'd like to know about any nugget of insights you may have gained in conversation. Was it only fan site creators that were invited, or were their other qualifications they looked for?

Etaew
08-16-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm with ironclad I'd like to know about any nugget of insights you may have gained in conversation. Was it only fan site creators that were invited, or were their other qualifications they looked for?

As for things learned, it was mostly just feedback about how we felt about playing through the new Silicon Valley stuff at the time (new shiney mode was on). I didn't record or take notes of particular conversations, privacy and all that. But we also talked about the encryption announcement that was made the night before our visit, our concerns about it and the devs reason for doing it. Ongoing conversations continue in the PTS forum and through other methods, certainly the economy changes have been and continue to be a major issue for everyone.

We got to see the layout of the office including the community section being practically next to the Defiance dev section, we got to see Tricks work environment and some of the interface to develop the game, how scripts were dragged into the game to spawn encounters and we got to see some of the Pilgrims in action.

We had dinner with several other devs who post on the forums and was great to meet them.

For people like me there, there was a mix across the various games, some were community sites yeah, some were YouTubers, some livestreamers, some created assets for Trove, some were just people who were level headed and provided constructive interactions on the forums.

BlackTalons
08-16-2014, 10:15 AM
As for things learned, it was mostly just feedback about how we felt about playing through the new Silicon Valley stuff at the time (new shiney mode was on). I didn't record or take notes of particular conversations, privacy and all that. But we also talked about the encryption announcement that was made the night before our visit, our concerns about it and the devs reason for doing it. Ongoing conversations continue in the PTS forum and through other methods, certainly the economy changes have been and continue to be a major issue for everyone.

We got to see the layout of the office including the community section being practically next to the Defiance dev section, we got to see Tricks work environment and some of the interface to develop the game, how scripts were dragged into the game to spawn encounters and we got to see some of the Pilgrims in action.

We had dinner with several other devs who post on the forums and was great to meet them.

For people like me there, there was a mix across the various games, some were community sites yeah, some were YouTubers, some livestreamers, some created assets for Trove, some were just people who were level headed and provided constructive interactions on the forums.

This is a yes/no question: Did you discuss, or even mentioned the free to play model and store/bits prices?

Etaew
08-16-2014, 10:18 AM
This is a yes/no question: Did you discuss, or even mentioned the free to play model and store/bits prices?

Sure, I mention whenever asked that the Bit Store is overpriced and there is little value for money, especially paid lockboxes and outfits for console players. But I don't make financial decisions for the game and we should be glad of that (hint: neither do some of the people I spoke to -) :)

BlackTalons
08-16-2014, 10:20 AM
(hint: neither do some of the people I spoke to -) :)

That's what I expected, thanks.

Holy Bahamut3
08-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Ah I guess I wouldn't have been considered "level headed" enough. LOL

Nefarious
08-16-2014, 12:25 PM
This is awesome.

duction
08-16-2014, 03:25 PM
i knew something went on from your attitude to some of the recent posts!

Market
08-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Love the writeup, Etaew! It was awesome getting to meet you, even under the extreme jet lag you were facing! lol

I know we both brought up that selling the plushies could be incredibly successful! My wife and son both have tried stealing it from me! I hadn't thought about the 3D models, but that would be pretty sweet if they did. Even if they couldn't feasibly do that, I'd love to see our renders on a T-Shirt. That doesn't seem like something too difficult to pull off.

I hope they do another one of these and we get lucky enough for a return trip. ;)

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuD4HVkCQAELlFl.jpg

Holy Bahamut3
08-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Okay I'm envious.

Copperpot
08-16-2014, 04:14 PM
When you changed your pic Market, I thought was some giant desert flower statue behind you. Hellbug never occurred to me.

Market
08-16-2014, 04:17 PM
When you changed your pic Market, I thought was some giant desert flower statue behind you. Hellbug never occurred to me.

LOL yeah, the size of the image doesn't really do it justice! I really wanted to strap that thing to the roof of my car and take off down the highway. The reactions of other drivers would have been killer! haha