PDA

View Full Version : Can a weapon's EGO level get to "impossible to carry?"

nathanpbutler
08-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Okay, so:

I'm at 5900 (5941 in reality). I'm excited about this, BUT it strikes me that I have a few weapons that are around 5820, and I have about 2K in Arkforge. I'm tempted to bring them up, but I felt the need to ask to be safe:

If I upgrade the EGO level of a weapon (say at 5820) by 100, but it is within 100 of the EGO cap already, then would I end up with a weapon that instead upgrades only to the EGO cap (up 80 instead of 100 in my example here), or will it jump by an actual 100 to end up above the EGO cap (in this case by 20) and thereby make using that weapon impossible until the EGO cap is raised again someday?

hiban
08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
If you are 5900 and have a weapon which is 5820, the option to upgrade rating will be unavailable.

I would really like to be able to upgrade weapons to your current EGO level, instead of having them 80 levels below your actual rating.

nathanpbutler
08-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Well, hell, I hadn't even looked to see if upgrading was POSSIBLE. I figured that could wait until I knew if it was viable. I guess that answers that.

Friggin' EGO cap...

Darien
08-17-2014, 04:06 PM
If you are 5900 and have a weapon which is 5820, the option to upgrade rating will be unavailable.

I would really like to be able to upgrade weapons to your current EGO level, instead of having them 80 levels below your actual rating.

After 5500, the damage increase you get by upgrading your weapon is extremely small. I just upgraded my Needler from 5792 to 5892 a few days ago. I gained three (3) damage per bullet.

They have previously mentioned on the live stream that they are working on being able to do this. Until then, it does not make a big enough difference for you to worry about it too much.

Rubicon
09-03-2014, 07:13 AM
It really doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to at least get players to the point they can upgrade their items to the ego cap.

Just keep the existing logic and costs for upgrading item ego, and update it with the following scenario:

Scenario: Item is less than 100 ego below the ego cap, and is being upgraded
Given I have an item that is less than 100 ego below the ego cap
and I am at the ego cap
When I upgrade the ego rating of that item in the salvage matrix
Then the item's ego is changed to the ego cap

This isn't ideal, since players would still have to pay full price to upgrade a smaller number of ego points, but at least they would have the option. Personally, if I were at 5900 ego, I'd be more than happy to pay full price to upgrade my uber 5851 shield to 5900. Even though I'm not getting 100 ego points out of it. I might decide not upgrade a 5890 item, but at least I'd have the option.

In the long term, a better solution would be to refactor the item upgrade rating process to be able to handle upgrading per point, but the effort to do this would be larger.

From a prioritization perspective, I understand this should be below game stability/performance, but I'd like to see fixes to existing functionality like this be higher priority than new content/items.

crazyged
09-03-2014, 07:19 AM
After 5500, the damage increase you get by upgrading your weapon is extremely small. I just upgraded my Needler from 5792 to 5892 a few days ago. I gained three (3) damage per bullet.

With the rate of fire on a Needler, that actually adds up to quite a bit, dps-wise.

This is my Needler,
This is my gun.
This is for shooting,
And this is for fun!

(Old army rhyme we had to recite, with hand actions, if we ever called our rifles guns)