PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a Defiance Spin Off Series?

Watson121
08-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I have been wondering, will there ever be a spin off series of Defiance? I have been wondering this because, the world of Defiance is so large and the creators/writers could set a spin off series in another country, like the UK. Would we get another tie in game or not? In my opinion, I think they should do a spin off series for Defiance because there are so many stories to tell! You could even do a prequel series. What do you think?

Kyosji
08-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Large? Where?

squidgod2000
08-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Spin-offs come from successful shows, not shows like Defiance.

dysonsFear
08-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Defiance is a successful show. It's just not a huge success compared to other networks.

Dominion and The Wil Wheaton Project, on the other hand...

squidgod2000
08-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Dominion and The Wil Wheaton Project, on the other hand...

For what it's worth, the ratings for Defiance and Dominion are nearly identical.

LostAlone
08-19-2014, 02:53 PM
I absolutely can't speak about the actual ratings themselves (people still watch broadcast tv?) but it's worth noting that success as a show is for the most part not really related to how many people watch it. The question is more how much profit do they make vs how much they think they could make putting something else in the same slot. Obviously that's connected to audience size but it's not as cut and dried as that.

Programming costs X amount to make, and attracts an audience Y big. Based on Y they can charge Z amount for advertising. The shows that 'fail' aren't the ones that fail to attract a large audience, it's the ones that cost too much to make per person watching. That's your killer number. For a minority channel, the publicly available ratings numbers mean basically nothing to them. So how successful Defiance truly is we probably will never know. The watershed for most shows is around season 3 or 4, that's when you would typically have seen an audience have peaked and be settling back a little, so it's normally around that point that producers decide to pull the plug, and that's when you'll really hear how successful it is.

As for if Defiance will get a spin off... Well... No. I strongly doubt it. Not because Defiance is especially bad or unsuccessful, simply because spin offs always make less money while costing about the same, which means any other programming would typically be a better investment for SyFy. Even in extremely successful franchises there is a hard fall off. For example, there's ten seasons of SG1, five of Atlantis and two of Universe. Spinning off is hard and off the top of my head I can only think of a handful of shows that did it truly successfully, and all of them were franchises in existing IPs that had solid main stream popularity - CSI, Law and Order, Star Trek, Buffy. The only real stand out is NCIS which is... A weird show when it comes to ratings (It's the only thing ever whose ratings picked up in the 8th season).

Bonehead
08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I have been wondering, will there ever be a spin off series of Defiance? I have been wondering this because, the world of Defiance is so large and the creators/writers could set a spin off series in another country, like the UK. Would we get another tie in game or not? In my opinion, I think they should do a spin off series for Defiance because there are so many stories to tell! You could even do a prequel series. What do you think?

No and not.

Nefarious
08-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Its still in its 2nd season. Not until Defiance is over will there be a spin off series like was done with Battle Star Galactic or Star Gate. Same with original series movies they done with them.

They mentioned something with Comic Books at comic con but I rather see novels.

alred
08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
For what it's worth, the ratings for Defiance and Dominion are nearly identical.
Problem is that Syfy, in it's wisdom, decided to split up the Defiance broadcast. The USA got to see this season first, then the rest of the world. So the numbers are lower this season verses last season, due in part to that. Granted their plan is flawed, because I bet many of those that like Defiance from the rest of the world, turned to torrent sites. Silly broadcasters with their blinders.

alred
08-19-2014, 03:43 PM
IMO, Defiance is a rip environment for Fan fiction and authorized book series. IMO, Trion would be making a mistake if they fail to find a writer/publisher that wouldn't be interested in creating a Defiance book series. For example, I read Warhammer 40k books. I find many of those books interesting, even though I don't play the game.

N3gativeCr33p
08-19-2014, 03:50 PM
If the Defiance spin-off centers around Datak and Stahma, count me all in!

Overtkill21
08-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Spin-offs come from successful shows, not shows like Defiance.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/30895294.jpg

hardy83
08-19-2014, 04:02 PM
I'd be for a spin off comic, or animated webisodes like the ones before launch.

Stuff that takes place outside of the Bay and Defiance areas, show the rest of the world instead of just talking about.

Or maybe a spin off that explains what happened during the pale wars etc etc etc.

This show won't be successful enough to have another TV spinoff, but other media. Maybe.

Kanah
08-19-2014, 04:22 PM
I have been wondering, will there ever be a spin off series of Defiance? I have been wondering this because, the world of Defiance is so large

The story has a bold premise with a potentially large scope. But it's been mostly squandered and unfulfilled. I remember the first episode and the flashbacks to the aliens arriving, the war, and the arkfall... then we got stuck in some backwater town filled with petty people and their petty concerns. It was disappointing.

AceRimmer
08-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Bear in mind, Stargate SG1 was one of the longest and most popular sci fi shows, and that took a lottttt of seasons before they created its first spin off.

Defiance is about Defiance, with references to the rest of the world...rarely.
It's basically a sci-fi soap opera.
Neighbours doesn't leave Erinsborough.
Home and Away...err, the Bay?

squidgod2000
08-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Problem is that Syfy, in it's wisdom, decided to split up the Defiance broadcast. The USA got to see this season first, then the rest of the world. So the numbers are lower this season verses last season, due in part to that. Granted their plan is flawed, because I bet many of those that like Defiance from the rest of the world, turned to torrent sites. Silly broadcasters with their blinders.

The ratings (http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/defiance-season-two-ratings-32932/) (for both seasons) are Nielsen ratings, which are U.S. only.

Ratings in the 18-49 demo are down 34% from last season and total ratings are down 23% from last season. Combine that with the obviously increased production costs (CG) this season and you're got a show that's ripe for cancellation.

crazyged
08-20-2014, 12:41 AM
I would watch a spin off series of Stahma laying in the tub for an hour every week...

Syrinx
08-20-2014, 12:59 AM
I honestly don't care about a spin off, I would be happy with a season 3. I'll be honest, I'm worried after next weeks final double episode we heard just as the credits start to roll 'and that want the last Defiance episode for the series' meaning...no more to come and thus o season 3.

Going to be interesting , but I hope it doesn't go south like SG Universe did or many other promising sci-fi shows