PDA

View Full Version : Strange lag since last night. Suggestions?

Triggernometry
08-20-2014, 12:43 PM
First I'll give you my specs:
AMD-FX 8350
8GB RAM
GTX 760X2 (SLI)
100/10 Megabit (Download/Upload)
Windows 8.1

Since last night I have noticed this strange lag. It's like data is "bottlenecking". I still see players moving and shooting, however the NPCs are standing still for a good 10-20 seconds. After that elapsed time the game "catches up" and I'm usually dead. The person I was grouped with didn't seem to be experiencing it. I tried playing again about 10 minutes ago, did a Volge Swarm at North Point and the exact same thing happened.
Is there a traceroute I can run to see if I'm dropping packets?
Here is the speedtest result I ran to a Palo Alto server in California as I was led to believe the Defiance serves are located there (California, not Palo Alto Specifically).
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3702389608.png

Suggestions please?

OttawaREDBLACKS
08-20-2014, 12:53 PM
occasionally you get lag like that, been noticing it a bit more frequently on the computer. I atleast notice it within 5 minutes of signing on or instantaneously once in matchmaking. I just close the game entirely and reload it and under 30 seconds later when it fully reboots it tends to work. Never happened to me for the day and a half of game play I had on the windows 8.0. But currently I have 8.1 unfortunately for gaming. Might be that or it could just be a server problem that has been reoccurring throughout the times.

Triggernometry
08-20-2014, 12:58 PM
occasionally you get lag like that, been noticing it a bit more frequently on the computer. I atleast notice it within 5 minutes of signing on or instantaneously once in matchmaking. I just close the game entirely and reload it and under 30 seconds later when it fully reboots it tends to work. Never happened to me for the day and a half of game play I had on the windows 8.0. But currently I have 8.1 unfortunately for gaming. Might be that or it could just be a server problem that has been reoccurring throughout the times.

The only issue 8.1 gave me was with ARMA 2 and I found the workaround for that.
I restarted the game last night twice, ran a repair from the Glyph dashboard, reset my modem, restarted the computer, pretty much everything short of a voodoo incantation.

squidgod2000
08-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Nothing new. Happens all the time. Trion doesn't know (or won't say) what causes it and thus can't/won't fix it.

Welcome to Defiance.

Triggernometry
08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Nothing new. Happens all the time. Trion doesn't know (or won't say) what causes it and thus can't/won't fix it.

Welcome to Defiance.

That's not very encouraging. Anyone know of a traceroute I could run to see where the bottleneck happens?

JadedSinn
08-20-2014, 01:07 PM
im runing a cheepy walmart fallapart laptop that has 2 gigs of ram and 225 gigs of memory and have yet to feel this " lag " every one else is. sure i admit to minor lag pockits but beond that im not seeing or feeling a heavy lag that sticks. for more then 10 secends at a time .

o.o my only sajusttion. even if your system is ment to handel the game at max setings. change them to the lowest settings you can. this should lower lag a little or alot depending on the user. also if u have your proxy memory all the way up turn it off. it only loads caricter models and its better to see steves then see every one in there full armour. also means less stuff to load.

just my thoughts. and the little bit of info i know. hope it helps some

Blakkheim
08-20-2014, 01:08 PM
There was massive delay lag last night. I experienced the same thing you did. Basically you knew it was going to happen when the enemies had 0 HP and were running in place. Then a massive "explosion" would happen and all the enemies that were supposed to be dead disappeared and sometimes you were dead too.

As posted it is just Defiance. I stopped playing since it was so bad. All you can do is completely quit the game and re-login and hope you hit a different shard than the one you were just on.

squidgod2000
08-20-2014, 01:13 PM
im runing a cheepy walmart fallapart laptop that has 2 gigs of ram and 225 gigs of memory and have yet to feel this " lag " every one else is. sure i admit to minor lag pockits but beond that im not seeing or feeling a heavy lag that sticks. for more then 10 secends at a time .

o.o my only sajusttion. even if your system is ment to handel the game at max setings. change them to the lowest settings you can. this should lower lag a little or alot depending on the user. also if u have your proxy memory all the way up turn it off. it only loads caricter models and its better to see steves then see every one in there full armour. also means less stuff to load.

It's network/server processing lag, not graphics lag. Your graphics settings and the computer you play with are irrelevant.

Triggernometry
08-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Hi Jaded and thank you for taking the time to answer. I never experienced this until last night and this morning, subsequently.
I will try what you suggested, however it's not FPS lag I'm experiencing, it's like someone flips a switch, turns off my interwebz, then turns it back on 10-20 seconds later. I can still move and shoot but nothing registers until data exchange catches up.
It clearly is not my connection and/or computer as the specs far surpass what is required.

RobDaCool
08-20-2014, 01:15 PM
I experienced some lag a few minutes ago while doing an Arkfall and an invasion :( makes it NO fun to play.

Triggernometry
08-20-2014, 01:17 PM
I experienced some lag a few minutes ago while doing an Arkfall and an invasion :( makes it NO fun to play.

Not in the least......

LegendaryU2K
08-20-2014, 01:38 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x245f8k_defiance-pc-na-server-lag-fest

Upload this video for coop missions, sad, seriously.

MrAwe
08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
worst lag/connectivity issues I've experienced since playing this game is happening right now

mutants shooting through walls at me, no ability to interact (press E) with anything, and yet the damn client won't just simply disconnect or state that it cannot connect to the server,
like it usually does. I have to manually quit the game and start it back up, to no avail.

If after all this time, Trion cannot fix the connectivity/lag issue (to such an extent I have not experienced in ANY other games I've played) it's quite obvious what the issue is...
Trion made a broken game, plain and simple, and they cannot fix it because it would require a complete overhaul.

Occifer
08-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Im having the same problems since yesterday. I experience it all the time even in time trials. Never had a problem before yesterday.

Triggernometry
08-20-2014, 01:47 PM
After watching the video posted above, that's similar to what I experienced last night and today. Clearly not FPS lag.
So it seems the issue is not localized or region/state/province specific.

Any response from a TSR or the people in charge of technical support?

LegendaryU2K
08-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Funny thing, early this morning around 3am, the lag issues went away. Guess i will try to play again later though.

Flank
08-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Opening Ports on your router for Defiance will mitigate "some" of the lag.

Cavadus
08-20-2014, 02:03 PM
There was massive delay lag last night.

Not for everyone.

I ran a co-op with three guildies last night, NA PC. Three of us were fine, one was lagging out like crazy and getting dropped about every ten minutes.

So when it gets laggy like that keep in mind not everyone is feeling it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been disconnected since launch and it's a rare day that I experience any lag.

My experience with Defiance's networking has been very good and better than most MMOs I've played. This is clearly a pretty complex issue when it's not universal to all players. Probably why they haven't figured it out yet.

internaut
08-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I've been sticking to pvp lately but today was just the pits. I ended up with more Ds than Ks in every single match. Guys like Liralizer, Ottawaredblacks, Altras etc were kicking my &ss inside out when its usually the other way around. :rolleyes:

BJWyler
08-20-2014, 02:14 PM
The only thing I will find fulfilling at this point is being able to play the game log enough without lagging so badly or DCing that I can actually finish the SV and Grid pursuits. Right now, they are impossible because I lag and DC at every event I go to - even emergencies where I am the only one playing. I am PC NA by the way. I've pretty much had it at this point with the game. If I want to be aggravated and frustrated for hours on end, I can go back to work.

ironcladtrash
08-20-2014, 02:44 PM
It's network/server processing lag, not graphics lag. Your graphics settings and the computer you play with are irrelevant.

I ran a co-op with three guildies last night, NA PC. Three of us were fine, one was lagging out like crazy and getting dropped about every ten minutes.

So when it gets laggy like that keep in mind not everyone is feeling it. .........This is clearly a pretty complex issue when it's not universal to all players. Probably why they haven't figured it out yet.

This is my experience. Sometimes I can change shards and fix it, other times logout and back in, worst case try the next day.

RobDaCool
08-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Just lagged out doing an Arkfall -which doesn't matter as it was bugged/glitched lol I am about ready to tap out/throw in the towel/give up on this game

Jasper Townsend
08-20-2014, 04:18 PM
If anyone has vacuum tubes, please send them to Trion to help maintain the 1956 model servers they use. They run hot when a few folks are online, that's where the lag comes from.