PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to revive Defiance?

MollyMayhem
08-24-2014, 08:08 AM
My husband and I have been playing this game since it came out. We bought the game, we have bought every DLC that has come out, (even though the "new content" in the DLCs was quite disappointing) and we have spent ?? dollars in the store for everything from new outfits to vehicles to (lately) arkforge. We have played and re-played the first and second season missions. We have done some PVP and Shadowwars, but frankly we are more explorers and PVE players. As casual players, our playtime is limited and therefore very precious to us.

Lately we have become bored. Here we are, with only a very small area of land to explore, limited missions and the same 5 enemies over and over again. Since the arkforge has become so scarce, it is hardly worthwhile to keep any orange weapons, since it is impossible to keep them leveled up to a point where they are useful. Weapon drops at your level (I am almost to 4000 EGO) are worse than the ones you keep leveling up, so are basically useless. I recently sold 6 orange weapons to a vendor, since I can't afford to keep them.

So anyway.....

when we started playing we were very excited to find a fun, kinetic, Sci Fi based game with so much to do, but we were disappointed to find out we would never see the town of Defiance itself. We kept hoping that at some point in the near future, the mainland would open up and we would get a vast new territory to explore. More than a year later, still we are stuck in a tiny area of land that we have been over innumerable times.

Aside from all the bugs and things everyone else is complaining about, what would revitalize this game for us would be to open up the world. Other games we have started playing have huge worlds, beautiful vistas, tons of stories to follow ...the game developers there (GW2) have obviously spent a lot of time and are proud of their world. There are nice rewards for just exploring.....Unfortunately that game crashes at least ONCE every time we log on, but we still keep coming back, because it is so engrossing.

So for us....opening up the mainland and making it possible to actually see what has happened to America and the rest of the world would be a HUGE incentive to stay on, and to be able to actually see Defiance and have stories and quests based out of there would also be huge.

So is there any hope for the future of Defiance? I imagine that for new players things are still fun, and will be until they exhaust the stories and do everything enough times.....but after awhile they will move on if things don't change. After all, if you JUST want a first person shooter with PVP, there are others out there that fill that bill.

I rarely post on the forums, but I wanted to let the devs know that this game matters to me, and I am very sad to see it failing to live up to the great potential it has. So for what it's worth, my 2 cents.

MasterThor
08-24-2014, 08:13 AM
It would take them selling the IP to a competent company that was looking to revive a game that has been run into the ground. So it won't happen. No one wants to buy a busted and dieing game, completely overhaul the code and try to convince people that it's all better now. Especially when most big companies are focused on their own IPs and current gen titles rather than reviving X360 failures.

Slayer Slayn
08-24-2014, 08:19 AM
some of your concerns were recently addressed by a new dev in his introductory post. don't think we will be getting a new thing of land or enemies for a while, but arkforge and weapon drops and encryption rates are supposed to be addressed fairly soon. in the meantime I suggest finding new game prospects but keeping an eye on defiance to see if and when your the issues you have are resolved. If you haven't played it I suggest "Rift" its another trion game but it has been handled MUCH differently. quite the good game with plenty to do. if that's not your cup of tea then maybe "Destiny" or some other game. never tie yourself to one game when things get bad. be a little more fluid with your game sessions. if worse comes to worse you can even spring for a nice night of scrabble, dominos, phase 10, or guesstures.

MasterThor
08-24-2014, 08:21 AM
some of your concerns were recently addressed by a new dev in his introductory post. don't think we will be getting a new thing of land or enemies for a while, but arkforge and weapon drops and encryption rates are supposed to be addressed fairly soon. in the meantime I suggest finding new game prospects but keeping an eye on defiance to see if and when your the issues you have are resolved. If you haven't played it I suggest "Rift" its another trion game but it has been handled MUCH differently. quite the good game with plenty to do. if that's not your cup of tea then maybe "Destiny" or some other game. never tie yourself to one game when things get bad. be a little more fluid with your game sessions. if worse comes to worse you can even spring for a nice night of scrabble, dominos, phase 10, or guesstures.

You Don't Know Jack... is also a fun game to play.
(before anyone gets upset, I was not insulting Slayn, it was just a perfect time and spot to use that game's title.)

hardy83
08-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Fix the loot system, continue with server stability, improve the visuals for PC, then port it to the XBOne and PS4 as F2P games.

Definitely expand the landmass, even if that means just plopping co-op/pvp maps on the overworld (which they should totally do).

Improve the speed at which story content is released. Even if it's only a few quests.
Sometime similar to GW2 possible with story content every 2-4 weeks. ACTUAL story content.

TheOz
08-24-2014, 09:03 AM
What would it take to revive Defiance?

3 days in a cave and A Dad in high places

Ruinne
08-24-2014, 09:08 AM
3 days in a cave and A Dad in high places

Well done.

Eugenitor
08-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Totally revert all of the 2.2 balance changes. All of them. And fire whoever came up with them, at once; here's your severance pay, now get lost.

Hire competent people to make Silicon Valley work properly. It's a mess.

(this one's gonna be controversial) Remove console support; it's costing them money they clearly don't have. PS3 and 360 are last-gen. Nearly everyone on those consoles has a computer capable of running the game; let them transfer over their characters completely, consolidating the servers.

Rebalance the weapons to make worthless crap useful, encouraging people to spend their time (and perhaps money) seeking them.

FIX THE GOD DAMNED LAG. Find a new datacenter/hosting provider if you have to. Or do it yourself. Or something you're not doing. Lag should not be happening to an MMO with so few people in it.

Lucent
08-24-2014, 09:44 AM
You Don't Know Jack... is also a fun game to play.
(before anyone gets upset, I was not insulting Slayn, it was just a perfect time and spot to use that game's title.)

Hold me, never let me go. Am I dreaming? Question 10......

N3gativeCr33p
08-24-2014, 09:45 AM
IMHO, a lot of duct tape and a lot of Popsicle sticks.

Kanah
08-24-2014, 09:47 AM
some of your concerns were recently addressed by a new dev in his introductory post.

The appointment of "Rashere" (apparently someone with competence and experience) is an encouraging sign. Perhaps it indicates a new direction. Will it be enough to turn the corner, or merely slow the decline?

I guess it all depends on how willing Trion High Command are to "refresh" their developer talent and management structures.

DEATHBRINGER210
08-24-2014, 09:56 AM
an act by the big guy upstairs

TremerChrist
08-24-2014, 09:58 AM
So many things wrong with this game, Sept. 9th is going to take care of it. Don't need to fix it if no ones playing.

Raxx
08-24-2014, 10:18 AM
how about a new development team maybe say Bungie

Seth090
08-24-2014, 10:21 AM
I just going to say address the issue with the lagg and fix the problem before more people leave because of it.

BarrySciFi
08-24-2014, 10:22 AM
What would it take to fix Defiance? Lol, Trion spending the past year fixing the game instead of preparing for pay to... Free to play. It's too late

Allocater
08-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Working servers.

Tried to play 2 times today, both times lag and disconnected.

SilverWF
08-24-2014, 10:54 AM
"So many things wrong with this game, Sept. 9th is going to take care of it. Don't need to fix it if no ones playing. "

I'm pretty doubt in Destiny success
We are already have the game like this (PS2) and it's not too much popular

Most closest to the Borderlands MMO now is Defiance...

TheOz
08-24-2014, 10:59 AM
"So many things wrong with this game, Sept. 9th is going to take care of it. Don't need to fix it if no ones playing. "

I'm pretty doubt in Destiny success
We are already have the game like this (PS2) and it's not too much popular

Most closest to the Borderlands MMO now is Defiance...

This post actually make sense if you read it like 70's era Schwarzenneger.
I don't agree with the opinion, but it's all good.

SilverWF
08-24-2014, 11:03 AM
http://risovach.ru/upload/2012/10/comics_Koainum_orig_1349599149.jpg

TheOz
08-24-2014, 11:05 AM
http://risovach.ru/upload/2012/10/comics_Koainum_orig_1349599149.jpg

RED HEAT!! Arnold and the world's funniest living Belushi.

TremerChrist
08-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Destiny doesn't come close to the experience that Defiance provides. Yes you are right that Defiance is like an Borderlands MMO. Or it used to be, when we were actually able to earn rewards instead of grinding for hours to get four blues from a t4 box. I didn't mind t4s being complete trash when I was able to open 1 every hour or so. You open enough you'll finally get something good. Now, with my limited play time, it takes me a few days just to open one box and about 5 seconds to hit the right bumper and sell everything I just grinded days for. Why bother?

Overtkill21
08-24-2014, 11:11 AM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c1/69/21/c169213633e989fecbf29c94f9764ef1.jpg

LOL

3rdpig
08-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Lots of funding from an outside source, and Trion actually spending that money on Defiance and doing it correctly.

From my limited knowledge of such things it seems to me as if Defiance has some serious issues with it's game engine (Havok, if I remember correctly). Some of these issues have been around since day 1 and have gotten progressively worse with each major update and yet they've never been able to find the cause of them. That suggests to me that whoever adapted the Havok engine, or whatever other software they're using, got fired in the first round of layoffs and they've never replaced that person, or at least not until recently.

Trion's problem to me seems more of an economic one at this point in time. I just don't see how any company can run a F2P MMO and have it pay for itself with less than 20k regular, dedicated players. And I'm guessing to get 20k regular players you'd need 10x that in total players. From what I've seen on PC-NA, Trion just doesn't have that, and from the beginning the game ran best on PC, so I'm going out on a limb and say that PC player retention is probably higher. But right now the game doesn't even play well on PC, the lag is horrendous. The game is nearly unplayable and I suspect people are shutting it off and playing something else.

So does Trion really believe that, with all the negative publicity they've had, they can really attract the kind of numbers back to Defiance they need to keep the servers on and coders, solving problems and expanding the game? My guess is, without the show, the answer is a resounding "NO". With the show it's a "maybe".

I predict if the show gets canceled, without a large injection of outside funding, the game servers will go dark within 90 days. The game just doesn't have the player base to justify keeping them lit.

Snib
08-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Without better servers there is no way to revive this. The F2P crowd is not as "forgiving" as those who made an up-front investment that they don't want to see to go to waste.

Cryptic Effect
08-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Totally revert all of the 2.2 balance changes. All of them. And fire whoever came up with them, at once; here's your severance pay, now get lost.

(this one's gonna be controversial) Remove console support; it's costing them money they clearly don't have. PS3 and 360 are last-gen. Nearly everyone on those consoles has a computer capable of running the game; let them transfer over their characters completely, consolidating the servers.

Rebalance the weapons to make worthless crap useful, encouraging people to spend their time (and perhaps money) seeking them.

FIX THE GOD DAMNED LAG. Find a new datacenter/hosting provider if you have to. Or do it yourself. Or something you're not doing. Lag should not be happening to an MMO with so few people in it.

I would love it if I wouldn't get kicked back to the start screen with a message telling me my connection timed out as well as actually being able to kill the war master but the chances of that are slim or so it would seem. It would be great if there was no timer or if they would decrease his health because you have to destroy a crystal as well just to start damaging him.Also give us the ability to re-roll synergies or roll for one for example I want to get the EMC XAR-22 AR but i'm waiting until I'm a higher ego and it doesn't have a synergy on it I would like to be able to roll for one using arkforge.

Also not everyone has a pc that can run defiance because not everyone has money for a high end graphics card for their pc and can't afford a gaming laptop either.

Kensei_Immortal
08-24-2014, 12:45 PM
1. Working, stable servers. Before anything else.

2. A re-evaluation and adjustment of the insane prices in the market.

2a. Incentive to buy Bits. Other F2P games I've played had ludicrous market prices too. However, they mitigated it by doing things like offering discount coupons as a chance daily log in reward. Or letting you buy real money currency with in game currency at an inflated price. You had to grind more but it was possible at least.

3. Weed out some of the wacky rng rolls on weapons with higher EGO ratings. Oh look it's 3000+ rated rifle with...96 damage?!

Overtkill21
08-24-2014, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvM7-GfuNKc

I think we can all learn a lesson from Raymond the Mouse - about believing in miracles.

N3gativeCr33p
08-24-2014, 01:27 PM
I predict if the show gets canceled, without a large injection of outside funding, the game servers will go dark within 90 days.

I'll take the under 90 days on that there wager. :)

Mclovin913010
08-24-2014, 01:35 PM

I think it's a matter of preference. I have a computer but I'm not a PC gamer. I think if they could make the game for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 it would significantly improve the lag issues. I agree with everything else you said.

Covington
08-24-2014, 01:49 PM
IMHO, a lot of duct tape and a lot of Popsicle sticks.

http://talkshop.ph/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/tin-cans-telephone-work-588x352.jpg

JadedSinn
08-24-2014, 01:53 PM
to fix the game .

we need macgyver . >.>

http://2guystalkingmetsbaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/macgyver.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/07/macgyver-multitool.jpg

Strohm
08-24-2014, 02:00 PM
For this game to be revived, you need a new vision over at Trion.

A small step would be to bring back the old amount of keys from finishing stuff, that way we can get more T4 lockboxes which would make it all seem less of a torturelike grindfest, with the low droprate of OJs and AFs ion lockboxes anyway, it wouldnt upset the loot quality ingame, however its not gonna happen, because it upsets the cashcow the Trion want it to be.

Trion took a game that wasnt ready for F2P and did not have any sort of good microtransition system in place at all, what you are seeing now, is Trion trying to force a new microtransition system into the game, they wont stop, not even if it breaks the game or makes players leave, they are in dire straits it seems.

The new "hero" Rashere that is put in charge of the game, only really makes changes with the store in mind and to justify the low AFs and Keys dropchance and to get people the incentive to use real money to buy those T4 lockboxes.

Everything was nerfed from scrip to OJ dropchances from bosses, Keys and lockboxes had their prices increased in order to make it so grindy that you would give up and use real money in the store to get lockboxes.

This game cannot be salvaged, the day Defiance died was the day they released patch 2.02 and went all-ion on suckign money out of their playerbase, I wouldnt even be surprised if that also marks the beginning of the end to Trion, the amount of bad press they are receiving now, is a gamebreaker on the Devscene im afraid.

Overtkill21
08-24-2014, 03:03 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/07/macgyver-multitool.jpg

I gotta get me one of those.

heartbreak_courier
08-24-2014, 04:00 PM
1. Fix connection issues. As far as I'm concerned, this should be their main priority since: 1) I believe these issues are largely to blame for the poor retention rate, even before 2.2. Saw too many new players in-game say something along the lines of, "I love this game, but the lag is terrible." 2) Fewer players, fewer people using the Defiance Store, less income for the game. 3) They'll have one more chance to hook some new players when the game goes F2P on Xbox. If not, we'll have to wait for Season 3 for another bump -- if we get that, which I hope we do.

2. This list of changes (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?172550-Introduction-and-an-Update&p=1603623&viewfull=1#post1603623) would go a long way towards bringing the game's systems back into an agreeable state, I think.

3. Auction house and bank, even browser-based. Trion could be making money off of both right now, and it would shore up this loot chase they're building towards. Lots of games thrive off of economies alone.

MrClip26
08-24-2014, 04:03 PM
auction houses and banks ect have been suggested since day 1..WONT EVER HAPPEN

Bonehead
08-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Shhhhhhh!

Do not revive the game.

It needs rest.

SilverWF
08-24-2014, 04:18 PM
rest in peace?

GooberStomper
08-24-2014, 05:15 PM
1. Fix connection issues. As far as I'm concerned, this should be their main priority since: 1) I believe these issues are largely to blame for the poor retention rate, even before 2.2. Saw too many new players in-game say something along the lines of, "I love this game, but the lag is terrible." 2) Fewer players, fewer people using the Defiance Store, less income for the game. 3) They'll have one more chance to hook some new players when the game goes F2P on Xbox. If not, we'll have to wait for Season 3 for another bump -- if we get that, which I hope we do.

2. This list of changes (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?172550-Introduction-and-an-Update&p=1603623&viewfull=1#post1603623) would go a long way towards bringing the game's systems back into an agreeable state, I think.

3. Auction house and bank, even browser-based. Trion could be making money off of both right now, and it would shore up this loot chase they're building towards. Lots of games thrive off of economies alone.

Ding, ding, ding give that man a cookie....And the reason servers are still up for the time being

N3gativeCr33p
08-24-2014, 05:22 PM
rest in peace?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6jpTaOYMU

Malkari
08-24-2014, 05:33 PM
As many have stated, unless they fix the server lag....doesn't matter what else they do for or to the game...

In the two weeks since I bought the season pass, I have been able to play about an hour lag free...ONE HOUR in two weeks...

COMPLETELY unacceptable....

Also unacceptable there is not some Trion rep interacting with us customers on a daily basis on this issue.

You would think with a somewhat small playerbase that the devs would try to build up some loyalty with the players they do have....

I am giving it another week and if I still can't play without getting disconnected (and I play after midnight CST, so this is not a server load issue), I am going to contact Steam and see about getting my $40 back (it is not unheard of for Steam to issue refunds) and just try to forget this game ever existed...

It's sad, this game has (had?) the potential to be absolutely AMAZING....

Crack
08-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Theres no way the servers will come down anytime soon. Microsoft and PSN wouldnt have allowed a "Server only" based game to receive licensing without an ironclad contract for server availability. Worse case is Trion would be forced to give up the rights to the game and someone else would take it over.

squidgod2000
08-24-2014, 08:03 PM
I think it's a matter of preference. I have a computer but I'm not a PC gamer. I think if they could make the game for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 it would significantly improve the lag issues. I agree with everything else you said.

Just because it's a PC game doesn't mean you sit at your computer and play it. Play it on a TV with a controller--the only thing you lose is the console ecosystem/community.

You're also dead wrong about PS4/Xbone. The lag that everyone is complaining about has nothing to do with processing power, at least not on our end.

squidgod2000
08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Theres no way the servers will come down anytime soon. Microsoft and PSN wouldnt have allowed a "Server only" based game to receive licensing without an ironclad contract for server availability. Worse case is Trion would be forced to give up the rights to the game and someone else would take it over.

lolwut...?

Crack
08-24-2014, 08:10 PM
lolwut...?

People were betting on how much longer the Defiance servers would be online...I forgot to quote one of those posts. Oops

Mclovin913010
08-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Just because it's a PC game doesn't mean you sit at your computer and play it. Play it on a TV with a controller--the only thing you lose is the console ecosystem/community.

You're also dead wrong about PS4/Xbone. The lag that everyone is complaining about has nothing to do with processing power, at least not on our end.

I like the familiarity of a console, as I've only played on consoles, starting with the Atari 2600.

Also, I'm not tech savvy, but I know that if you were to take Defiance as it is now and transfer it to next gen consoles, it would play considerably better.

At least better than what 360 and ps3 players experience now. I'm not implying that it will fix the lag entirely, but there would be a noticeable improvement.

drackiller
08-25-2014, 12:29 AM
A mail system would be appeciated. Anyone noticed that Blizzard introduced that on RoS !?
That would be a neat feature to have in this game.

And fixing all the rest ofcourse.

Ps: stop beeing ignorants about consoles, there are far more demanding games currently running on consoles, and running well.

Alariea
08-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Honestly, I had been enjoying the game for what it since it originally released. I could deal with imperfect loot and progression systems, limited content etc, because its still fun to get on and shoot a bunch of stuff as a break from other MMOs, but the lag-outs are getting ridiculous now. In the past 24 hours (real time, not game time), I have only successfully finished 1 siege, and the tail end of two emergencies. I lagged out of 6 major ark falls, 3 sieges, and 4 emergencies. Lag starts within 60 seconds of engaging in the event (sometimes much faster...I only got about one magazine off on a tachmag pulsar before everything started running in place at a diablo station siege tonight)

Since major events are the main things I like to do, this has pretty much rendered the game useless to me...I don't even do them that much for loot, but the only thing i can do now is shoot things on the side of the road away from any scored events.

They need to fix the lag first, because who cares what new content you put in, if you lag out within seconds of engaging in combat at any scored event.

Maixx
08-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Lol.......
Just wanted to take a moment to reflect.... (1/2/14)

You and I both. But it might also be they just have too few people now to take care of both, developing the next DLC as well as taking care of bugs.

A lot of bad decisions were made in Defiance's past. Now, under the helm of Mr. Dempsey, they have to work with these bad decisions. One of them I think is their 5 DLCs season pass they need to fulfill in combination with the massive lay offs in Defiance's developer team. It would make sense for the season passes of next season to only guarantee three or four DLCs instead of five to have freed up enough man hours for proper bug fixing.

Then they need to fix the damn bugs, EVERY DLC has severely increased the bug and stability issues, adding more content before fixing the current content is just idiotic, but strangely expected.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?145194-As-I-expected.-Arkbreak-F-Up-responses&p=1365339&viewfull=1#post1365339

I'll agree, just let it rest in peace...

Syrinx
08-25-2014, 02:18 AM
1: Fix connection issues. I was unable to play for the past 3 days, actually make that 4 because of lag, people running on the spot and constant crashes/times outs during events

2: Work on fixing reward based system. MMOs are about character progression. The main way to progress a character is either meaning level progression (which defiance lacks, it has level progression but it's mostly meaningless after a point) or equipment (guns, costumes, hats, whatever floats your boat) or both.

3: Stop being lazy with development

4: fix the bugs

MasterThor
08-25-2014, 07:46 AM
The appointment of "Rashere" (apparently someone with competence and experience) is an encouraging sign. Perhaps it indicates a new direction. Will it be enough to turn the corner, or merely slow the decline?

I guess it all depends on how willing Trion High Command are to "refresh" their developer talent and management structures.

This is a common Trion tactic at this point. **** gets bad, you reassign someone old or bring in someone new to give the players hope. They stick around until they realize it's just more of the same then you rinse and repeat. I would love it if this "new" guy (who has been around for months, although I suspect longer) would fix a lot of things and make the game great again. Unfortunately, I believe it is too little, WAY too late. Best of luck to them though. I will still check in for new missions and what have you, but we all know that new missions means about an hour of new gameplay tops, every few months. Not really enough to keep me interested full time, especially with only one /dance move.

MasterThor
08-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Hold me, never let me go. Am I dreaming? Question 10......

glad to see I am not the only person that loves that game.

squidgod2000
08-25-2014, 07:54 AM
People were betting on how much longer the Defiance servers would be online...I forgot to quote one of those posts. Oops

Wasn't laughing at that, I was laughing because you seem to think that Sony and Microsoft can compel Trion to keep supporting the game or can simply take the game away from Trion and give it to another company, which may be the dumbest thing I've read this week.

MollyMayhem
08-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Funny...server lag is the ONE problem we haven't been experiencing. (We play on PCs)

Although, we have had strange instances in Gulanee arkfalls that, even when we go in grouped, we end up in different instances or alone...and when we come back out, we are never in the same instance.

Also we haven't seen hardly any clanmates on any more....and we used to see TONS of them everywhere....I wonder where all the Children of Gallifrey have gone? :confused:

Tried Firefall...great game but we are having issues there with falling through the world so much we had to give it up.

We'll keep logging in for a while to see what's going on...and hoping....

wartitan
08-25-2014, 09:58 AM

And the PC Master Race has spoken...as much as I used to enjoy hardcore PC gaming, I want to just turn on my console and fire up into a game. Not wait around while I download drivers, STEAM or GLYPH or ORIGIN client updates, then game updates just to get an direct X error because I'm running Windows. No thanks, as many issues as this game has, the ONE consolation is that the only thing I have to wait for is the latest patch to download. I got so tired of trying to maintain a PC...

Cavadus
08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
1. Fix lag,
2. Add non-combat activities;
3. Add three or four more land masses the size of all Paradise Territory each; and
4. Add in some endgame content that isn't just lockbox loot crap.

Likelihood of any of that happening? Zilch.

AllGamer
09-03-2014, 10:08 AM
I was hoping for the same thing, I holding out to see if the original Devs will do as they promised during the interview on TV with relation to the TV show.
...and well... lets just say I'm glad I didn't jump in at the begining.

There are so much potential in this game, but the current publisher is wasting it.

If you want a true exploration game you should check out Star Citizen (by Christ Roberts) if you and your husband are into Sci-Fi stuff, or if you also like Fantasy worlds, then I'll suggest Shroud of the Avatar (by Richard Garriot)

These 2 Devs have proven track records over the years and they do always deliver what they promise.

My husband and I have been playing this game since it came out. We bought the game, we have bought every DLC that has come out, (even though the "new content" in the DLCs was quite disappointing) and we have spent ?? dollars in the store for everything from new outfits to vehicles to (lately) arkforge. We have played and re-played the first and second season missions. We have done some PVP and Shadowwars, but frankly we are more explorers and PVE players. As casual players, our playtime is limited and therefore very precious to us.

Lately we have become bored. Here we are, with only a very small area of land to explore, limited missions and the same 5 enemies over and over again. Since the arkforge has become so scarce, it is hardly worthwhile to keep any orange weapons, since it is impossible to keep them leveled up to a point where they are useful. Weapon drops at your level (I am almost to 4000 EGO) are worse than the ones you keep leveling up, so are basically useless. I recently sold 6 orange weapons to a vendor, since I can't afford to keep them.

So anyway.....

when we started playing we were very excited to find a fun, kinetic, Sci Fi based game with so much to do, but we were disappointed to find out we would never see the town of Defiance itself. We kept hoping that at some point in the near future, the mainland would open up and we would get a vast new territory to explore. More than a year later, still we are stuck in a tiny area of land that we have been over innumerable times.

Aside from all the bugs and things everyone else is complaining about, what would revitalize this game for us would be to open up the world. Other games we have started playing have huge worlds, beautiful vistas, tons of stories to follow ...the game developers there (GW2) have obviously spent a lot of time and are proud of their world. There are nice rewards for just exploring.....Unfortunately that game crashes at least ONCE every time we log on, but we still keep coming back, because it is so engrossing.

So for us....opening up the mainland and making it possible to actually see what has happened to America and the rest of the world would be a HUGE incentive to stay on, and to be able to actually see Defiance and have stories and quests based out of there would also be huge.

So is there any hope for the future of Defiance? I imagine that for new players things are still fun, and will be until they exhaust the stories and do everything enough times.....but after awhile they will move on if things don't change. After all, if you JUST want a first person shooter with PVP, there are others out there that fill that bill.

I rarely post on the forums, but I wanted to let the devs know that this game matters to me, and I am very sad to see it failing to live up to the great potential it has. So for what it's worth, my 2 cents.

TE5LA
09-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I am going to contact Steam and see about getting my $40 back (it is not unheard of for Steam to issue refunds) and just try to forget this game ever existed...

Wouldn't hold my breath; I bought a Steam multiplayer game recently that turns out to have zero MP, no servers whatsoever and immediately asked for a refund and they refused.

Also, I had been looking forward to ArcheAge for about two years and when I found out the NA version is being done by Trion, I lost interest.

TE5LA
09-04-2014, 11:53 AM
If you want a true exploration game you should check out Star Citizen (by Christ Roberts) ...

I sunk a lot of money into Star Citizen and might be regretting it if they don't plan on fixing the terrible flight model. It was also supposed to be released in May of 2014 but that wasn't even close to happening. Anyone want to buy me out? :)