PDA

View Full Version : a nice and relatively easy to implement idea: weapon recoloring

moof
08-25-2014, 07:28 AM
i seen this on other shooters like blacklight,you purchase a new weapon paint (or camo) for your gun,with store currency or regular free currency,

and you can make neat things like a chrome colored wep or solid black,solid gold,various kinds of camo,or very eye searing colors if thats your thing

so it really shouldnt be very hard to implement,just adding afew new image files,maybe a paragraph of code at the most?might be a way they could make money at trion,who knows

squidgod2000
08-25-2014, 07:49 AM
so it really shouldnt be very hard to implement,just adding afew new image files,maybe a paragraph of code at the most?

Not that simple.

moof
08-25-2014, 07:51 AM
Not that simple.

it is too,all it involves is applying a new texture file on the basic graphical object model,almost anyone with a simple 3d editor can do it

squidgod2000
08-25-2014, 07:59 AM
it is too,all it involves is applying a new texture file on the basic graphical object model,almost anyone with a simple 3d editor can do it

...and creating the textures, and overhauling the interface to support that modification, and increasing the load data of player models (whihc is already a problem, ala General Steve) by introducing another variable, doing all of that without fvcking up everything else (which is a tall order for Trion these days)

Snib
08-25-2014, 08:03 AM

Now count the memory requirements of all those new textures and then understand why the game has such terrible textures in the first place. Right, because it's built for old consoles. Simple shaders might be a possibility, but actual textures no way.

PS: The issue with the current costumes is the pricing. Fix that and they'd probably see more sales of those already.

moof
08-25-2014, 08:04 AM
...and creating the textures, and overhauling the interface to support that modification, and increasing the load data of player models (whihc is already a problem, ala General Steve) by introducing another variable, doing all of that without fvcking up everything else (which is a tall order for Trion these days)

a drop down box,using the existing model displayer (hence veiw weps from loadout screen),adding afew more of those bluish text images

and lets face it,i dont think a weapon having a different color will make the general steve problem better,

and if you think about it,it literally cannot get worse,i mean,with all the lags crashes,dc,skipjacking,and general steves,aside from the game ceasing to exist,hopw could it get worse?i ask how?

moof
08-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Now count the memory requirements of all those new textures and then understand why the game has such terrible textures in the first place. Right, because it's built for old consoles. Simple shaders might be a possibility, but actual textures no way.

its easy enough to do on a by now 13 year old game (i did this on pristontale when they opened up the rules for visual mods,even made entire new outfits for some freinds)

Snib
08-25-2014, 08:07 AM
its easy enough to do on a by now 13 year old game (i did this on pristontale when they opened up the rules for visual mods,even made entire new outfits for some freinds)

Yes, because PC master race. I was talking about consoles. ;)

moof
08-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Yes, because PC master race. ;)

pc master race?how so?if you want to be horrified just look up the graphics on pristontale,that tech is about as good as n64 tech

Snib
08-25-2014, 08:16 AM
pc master race?how so?if you want to be horrified just look up the graphics on pristontale,that tech is about as good as n64 tech

Yes, and the XBOX360 is 9 years old and has 512 MB total RAM, there are technical limits as to how much you can do with that.

moof
08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Yes, and the XBOX360 is 9 years old and has 512 MB total RAM, there are technical limits as to how much you can do with that.

and when the first iteration of pristontale came out,it was meant for computers with less ram than that,and almost non existent vid cards

Snib
08-25-2014, 09:43 AM
and when the first iteration of pristontale came out,it was meant for computers with less ram than that,and almost non existent vid cards

And you are modding it only today on a system that is several times as powerful. Seems you are making my point? :)

Cavadus
08-25-2014, 10:01 AM

No, it'd be the same. Defiance doesn't handle textures in a separate call. The object is an object. So the green camo VBI TACC AR off the Caretaker's Cabin vendor is an independent object of the VBI TACC AR, not a VBI TACC AR plus texture.

There are already multiple textures for most weapons anyways. The VBI LM-43 Thunder model comes in green camo, black, gray, blue, and green, for instance.

GooberStomper
08-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Personally think its a very bad idea to ask for ANYTHING from Trion at this point except to
FIX THE DAMN CONNECTION ISSUE