PDA

View Full Version : SAVE Defiance...........

Chocolatelover67
09-05-2014, 01:18 AM
This doesn't look good

https://www.facebook.com/Defiance/photos/a.428006467213401.113461.211869792160404/934533059894070/?type=1&theater

Write to Syfy and tell them how good the show is and it's not right that they end it on season 2

Snib
09-05-2014, 01:59 AM
tell them how good the show is

But it isn't, it's pretty bad actually. Wouldn't mind seeing it canceled, opens up the spot for something else that might be better.

Menov
09-05-2014, 02:10 AM
This doesn't look good

https://www.facebook.com/Defiance/photos/a.428006467213401.113461.211869792160404/934533059894070/?type=1&theater

Write to Syfy and tell them how good the show is and it's not right that they end it on season 2

Done. This has been one of their better shows in years. This season was really good. The game started to suck a little, but the show done better in it's second season.

Bonehead
09-05-2014, 02:10 AM
This doesn't look good

They called the Firefly crowd "browncoats". I hope they can come up with a better name than "arkhunters" for us.
I really liked the show but as time goes on it looks less promising.

LegendaryU2K
09-05-2014, 02:11 AM
But where does it say from SyFy, that they are getting rid of the show?

Belle Starr
09-05-2014, 02:12 AM
I've enjoyed it, and so did a lot of people, just not enough I guess! I believe that it is unfortunately the final nail in the Defiance game's coffin :(

LegendaryU2K
09-05-2014, 02:21 AM
With all the junk on tv these days , all the good shows gets push aside, i can name about 20 shows that needs to come back. Just to name a few, Cold case , without a trace, the Unit, X files, New York Undercover, CSI Miami , real law and order back( SVU is horrible and needs to go ).

Telemachus
09-05-2014, 02:30 AM
It's Syfy network if it's popular it gets cancelled , ie. farscape any of the stargates ...

Have thought that the network is a tax write-off for the parent company for a decade..

Going back to the Community show joke of... 6 seasons and a movie..

If it was trying to be a good scifi network they would of picked up Firefly, among a few other series that were cancelled prematurely .

Valgmorgan
09-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Where does it say Defiance was cancelled? Recorded the last 2 episodes, those were listed as season final...not series final. Sy'Fy barely has anything on its plate...just reshown movies...half of which I own without being edited for stupid tv. Sorry didn't watch Rid****, I hate commericals in my movies. Anyways -- Save Defiance --was main objective for the flash game of Defiant Few, which I didn't bothered with, and didn't care for a chance to win a challenger.

sly wolf
09-05-2014, 02:55 AM
To be honest my view is this show should never have got to series 2 it is basically a poor mans falling skies but falling skies has things defiance has not got they include great visuals, Great story and plot, Great enemies that you see a lot of lots of tech on display, I mean the list goes on, But this is just my view, The game however was great fun last night there was a good crowd on and some great gaming was done :)

crazyged
09-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I enjoy the game way more than the show, sadly - they really need to amp up the action and steer away from daytime soapie plots...

Valgmorgan
09-05-2014, 03:02 AM
Not a Fan Of Failing Skies---No thanks, stopped watching it after the first season. It's season, not Series. StarGate had series, SG-1, Atlantis, n the nail in the coffin SG-U (Universe) which killed any chance of SG-mmo tie-in. And gave way For Defiance.

Long Live Defiance n all that.

R.I.P. Warehouse-13, n Heroes---the carnnies killed it/writer strike-bad rushed script.

LegendaryU2K
09-05-2014, 03:21 AM
Nobody has said the show is ending, and until someone from syfy or the defiance says so, this thread needs to be closed, along with the rest of them

Kanah
09-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Not a Fan Of Failing Skies---No thanks, stopped watching it after the first season. It's season, not Series. StarGate had series, SG-1, Atlantis, n the nail in the coffin SG-U (Universe) which killed any chance of SG-mmo tie-in. And gave way For Defiance.

Stargate Universe was playing with some pretty big themes. I was excited to see how it would develop. However it was fairly dark and lacking the cheery interaction between lovable characters that made the other series fun to watch. Seems that for people to watch sf it needs to be light-hearted and easy on the brain cells.

Expanding the scope of Defiance may be what's giving SyFy pause for thought.

Etaew
09-05-2014, 03:29 AM
What did it for me was the whole Irisa / arkbrain storyline. I'd have prefered a more realistic town vs E-Rep serial.

Maixx
09-05-2014, 03:30 AM
This doesn't look good

Letters from individuals mean nothing to a network, everything is about ratings, especially since those ratings are measured in the millions.

Season 2 ratings: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/defiance-season-two-ratings-32932/

Season averages:
-Rating:0.46, -36.11%
-Viewers: 1.56mil, -25.47%
Season 2 ratings dropped 36%.11 and 25.47% less viewers.

Chocolatelover67
09-05-2014, 03:50 AM
But it isn't, it's pretty bad actually. Wouldn't mind seeing it canceled, opens up the spot for something else that might be better.

Why are you on a Defiance forum then? You must like the game and that has ties to the show..... So you in short like Defiance hehe

I hope they get renewed but most of the comments in that link sound a bit like they expect the worst...

Escyos
09-05-2014, 03:53 AM

Syfy has very little science fiction anymore, if Defiance goes then there will be pretty much none left. Also don't say something is bad without giving examples (please note that you not understanding something is not bad writing).

WanWhiteWolf
09-05-2014, 04:19 AM
It's all based on ratings so regarless of what we do/think, the outcome is based on numbers. Whether the rating drop is considered to big .... time will tell. I hope it doesn't. I am not saying this because we will get a less (or none) ego codes ; Or that the game will lose some popularity without the show backup. The show is o.k. and pretty hard to find decent SY-Fy movies these days.

Snib
09-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Why are you on a Defiance forum then? You must like the game and that has ties to the show..... So you in short like Defiance hehe

I'm on the game's forum, and the cross-over ties are minimal at best.

I could have liked the show, the starting idea was interesting but sadly all they made out of it was a soap opera that mostly could have played out identically in another setting between humans only. Story threads that could have been interesting were unbelievable and ultimately lead nowhere. The whole EGO device/let's rebuild the dead sister conspiracy, for example, was so mind-bendingly stupid I'm still angry about it. Most characters are really two-dimensional which is sad, too.

And no, putting nano-tech with god powers into a girl does not count as character development, it counts as shtako. Come on, the thing can revive people, mind control them, remote control spaceships and terraform a planet but it needs a reborn girl to run around and spread the love for it or play with floating pebbles? The logic in that show has so many holes that a swarm of hellbugs must have eaten right through it.

If the show does it for you I'm happy for you, but just because I like the game does by no means mean that I have to like the show, because I don't. Don't get me wrong, I really tried to like it, after all I watched it hoping it would get its act together, but sadly it didn't. And in my opinion it couldn't hurt if the show was more like the game (i.e. if something would actually happen in it).

Syfy has very little science fiction anymore, if Defiance goes then there will be pretty much none left. Also don't say something is bad without giving examples (please note that you not understanding something is not bad writing).

Sadly true. See above.

BC001
09-05-2014, 04:58 AM
From what I hear part of the drop in ratings is that the show is not showing at the same time everywhere anymore, some countries will not see it until the fall season so the viewership numbers from them will not be there until later.

Defiance is not at all like Falling Skies; Defiance generally makes more sense and has fewer gaping plot holes and technical gaffs for one thing (not that it is exactly a shining example of intricately crafted realistic sci-fi itself either). Also unlike Falling Skies it does not jump the shark every season and then invariably take the path most trod for every sub-genre they jump to.

drackiller
09-05-2014, 05:17 AM
From what I hear part of the drop in ratings is that the show is not showing at the same time everywhere anymore, some countries will not see it until the fall season so the viewership numbers from them will not be there until later.

Defiance is not at all like Falling Skies; Defiance generally makes more sense and has fewer gaping plot holes and technical gaffs for one thing (not that it is exactly a shining example of intricately crafted realistic sci-fi itself either). Also unlike Falling Skies it does not jump the shark every season and then invariably take the path most trod for every sub-genre they jump to.
Let me just say this, i like Defiance and i also like Falling Skies but, generaly i fall asleep watching Falling Skies, never happened when watching Defiance.

Chocolatelover67
09-05-2014, 06:52 AM
And no, putting nano-tech with god powers into a girl does not count as character development, it counts as shtako. Come on, the thing can revive people, mind control them, remote control spaceships and terraform a planet but it needs a reborn girl to run around and spread the love for it or play with floating pebbles? The logic in that show has so many holes that a swarm of hellbugs must have eaten right through it.

Hey I am not dissing your post. You had your say and I think it's cool.... Is this in reference to Irisa and what those two keys inside her were? Yeah I too have problems with that...... But I'm thinking the Votans are thousands of years more advanced then us humans so I cut them slack for that..... But yes it's a huge leap to have her running around to do the bidding of this technology which I think could have done it by itself..... But that's now how the writers wanted it so instead we got this really far fetched thing with the nanotech and such. Compared to the very first season I felt season 2 was a huge improvement as season 1 is pretty bland....

And that's my 2cents worth........

Midnight
09-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Long Live Defiance n all that.

R.I.P. Warehouse-13, n Heroes---the carnnies killed it/writer strike-bad rushed script.

You do know it's coming back, albeit with a different cast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gvDteBO4io

Midnight
09-05-2014, 07:01 AM
I enjoy the show and it brought me back to playing the game...I played from the beginning, until I ran out if storyline which was a month or so after season one ended (I took my time)...then tried to come back a while later but, because grenades, I didn't keep playing...about halfway through season 2 I tried playing again and am now playing regularly again...I might be an odd case but I think the show and game are good for each other in this way, and hope the show gets another season

Festival
09-05-2014, 07:15 AM
To be honest my view is this show should never have got to series 2 it is basically a poor mans falling skies but falling skies has things defiance has not got they include great visuals, Great story and plot, Great enemies that you see a lot of lots of tech on display, I mean the list goes on, But this is just my view, The game however was great fun last night there was a good crowd on and some great gaming was done :)

To each their own, of course, but I find Defiance completely superior to Falling Skies. Better (if not great) screen writing, FAR better acting, etc...

Overtkill21
09-05-2014, 09:08 AM
But where does it say from SyFy, that they are getting rid of the show?

They won't officially say that until they can milk the existing episodes for all the ad dollars they can - but we'll likely see the actors moving on - that's a good indication it's done.

MoonlitDNC
09-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I just started watching season one and I've really been liking it! I DO NOT want to see it go. :(

Nefarious
09-05-2014, 11:31 AM
One person (David Bulldawg Farnsworth, a name that sounds like its for a character in a Will Ferrell movie) says.."What a load of of BS! Can they tell us why THEY CANNED THIS SHOW AFTER ONLY 2 SEASONS?" without any kind of source to back that up and then with that everyone jumps on board with it.

One person then posts this link...http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/defiance/#comments

And where it says series status has it as :Has not been cancelled

So I don't know what all the fuss is about. Having random Facebook comments as a source is the worst.

Belle Starr
09-05-2014, 11:41 AM
One person (David Bulldawg Farnsworth, a name that sounds like its for a character in a Will Ferrell movie) says.."What a load of of BS! Can they tell us why THEY CANNED THIS SHOW AFTER ONLY 2 SEASONS?" without any kind of source to back that up and then with that everyone jumps on board with it.

One person then posts this link...http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/defiance/#comments

And where it says series status has it as :Has not been cancelled

So I don't know what all the fuss is about. Having random Facebook comments as a source is the worst.

Thank you! I was starting to panic... :eek:

6RID8U6
09-05-2014, 01:25 PM
The show had had been wildly uneven in terms of quality storytelling (worst offender: the godawful decision to use terrible cover songs to underscore the mood/message/plot of the episode) but that two part S2 finale was pretty damn solid. If it turns out to be the series finale, they could have done a lot worse.

:)

Snib
09-05-2014, 01:52 PM
(worst offender: the godawful decision to use terrible cover songs to underscore the mood/message/plot of the episode)

Interesting; despite not being impressed by the show as a whole I actually liked that cover song decision quite a bit most of the time, I felt it fit the universe, the changed world they are living in that combines old and new. The known original versions wouldn't have in the same way.

RayneMal
09-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Its a tagline for thier online game where you help Camden Pace save Defiance

6RID8U6
09-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Interesting; despite not being impressed by the show as a whole I actually liked that cover song decision quite a bit most of the time, I felt it fit the universe, the changed world they are living in that combines old and new. The known original versions wouldn't have in the same way.

My issue with the song thing wasn't so much that the covers sucked (though some of them did) but with the notion that the audience needed to be hit over the head with the "message" of the episode because clearly the writers and actors weren't able to get the point across. It's the same crap gimmick that the WB and CW used on their "young adult" programs and Defiance deserved better. MUCH better.

Covington
09-05-2014, 05:48 PM
My issue with the song thing wasn't so much that the covers sucked (though some of them did) but with the notion that the audience needed to be hit over the head with the "message" of the episode because clearly the writers and actors weren't able to get the point across. It's the same crap gimmick that the WB and CW used on their "young adult" programs and Defiance deserved better. MUCH better.

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/preach-12.jpg

True DAT!

If the show is cancelled it is BECAUSE of the crap songs. Although I think the link from the OP means "save defiance" the silly flash game not the show itself.

Snib
09-05-2014, 05:51 PM

oh fair enough on that and agreed, but I thought the writing & story telling was beyond abysmal anyway, so that was just the icing on the cake.

BC001
09-05-2014, 06:24 PM

It is not about hitting the audience over the head with some message, is just another way of setting the mood though it is a little more in the foreground than the traditional scores, and it can save production costs without lowering the quality if done well and it fits the style of the show. I have no problem with them doing that if they put the savings into other areas like SFX, script, and acting talent.

The alternative money saving methods of either using a cheap repetitive music score or none at all are both far worse in overall effect. It makes shows that do that have the feel of afternoon soaps or worse.

3rdpig
09-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Of the 15 people I know who originally started out watching Defiance last year all but 3 quit. When I've asked why the #1 answer is "Gratuitous and needless sexual content". The #2 answer is "Can't follow or don't understand the story".

Of the 3 people, including myself who still watch the show, I can honestly say that we're not that far behind them. The overt sex doesn't bother me, as long as it has some place in the story (and there's little doubt that anyone who's embarrassed by sexual situations left before the end of season 1) and the last 2 or 3 episodes were pretty good as far a story. I still think, with several notable exceptions, that some of the acting is still pretty sub par. But that's standard stuff for SyFy.

But my gut feeling is that it's done. Much higher budget than season 1 and much worse ratings. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm betting that a major sponsor, or several smaller ones, have jumped ship and they're scrambling to try to find a way to finance a new season. That or deciding if they can do it on the season 1 budget.

Chocolatelover67
09-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Sorry I'm on the no sex wagon........Sex is fine but there was a bit too much in season 2 when other things could have been focused on.....

Chocolatelover67
09-05-2014, 10:08 PM
If the show is cancelled it is BECAUSE of the crap songs. Although I think the link from the OP means "save defiance" the silly flash game not the show itself.

NO reading that link and the comments the mood I got was that people were worried the show would be cancelled....... That's the impression I got from all the comments in the link..

Oh and for those born in this generation Star Trek would not have existed had there not been massive letter writing campaigns to NBC and Desilu Productions to keep the show on air and that's how they got a 3rd season in the original series....... TV in the 60s was as much about ratings as it is today only people were a lot more vocal....

Kanah
09-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Of the 15 people I know who originally started out watching Defiance last year all but 3 quit. When I've asked why the #1 answer is "Gratuitous and needless sexual content". The #2 answer is "Can't follow or don't understand the story".

On #1, given the choice of spaceships or sex I choose spaceships, but it didn't bother me so much.

On #2, there's no excuse for dimwittery. Audience idiocy is killing tv. Soon we'll all be watching 'Ghost Hunters'.

RAGEFIGHTER
09-06-2014, 12:22 AM
it wuld be wery sad i watched all 12 episodes of s 2 defiance and it was coll i like show well but its also can bee reason maybee they arent earn so much from it there is alot webs wich provides online watching for free so kinda nothing more than fame :)

RAGEFIGHTER
09-06-2014, 12:26 AM
On #1, given the choice of spaceships or sex I choose spaceships, but it didn't bother me so much.

On #2, there's no excuse for dimwittery. Audience idiocy is killing tv. Soon we'll all be watching 'Ghost Hunters'.

sexual scenes light erotic propobly tous 15 ppls was kisds or something?? heh and storyline is prety good but you shuld watch all 2 seasons ohh and yes its prety bad they shuld make intro like pre show story with kinda lot details how they get in situation like theth but from 1 season 1 episode till s 2 las one its nice storyline :)

Maixx
09-06-2014, 03:27 AM

Of the 3 people, including myself who still watch the show, I can honestly say that we're not that far behind them. The overt sex doesn't bother me, as long as it has some place in the story (and there's little doubt that anyone who's embarrassed by sexual situations left before the end of season 1) and the last 2 or 3 episodes were pretty good as far a story. I still think, with several notable exceptions, that some of the acting is still pretty sub par. But that's standard stuff for SyFy.

But my gut feeling is that it's done. Much higher budget than season 1 and much worse ratings. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm betting that a major sponsor, or several smaller ones, have jumped ship and they're scrambling to try to find a way to finance a new season. That or deciding if they can do it on the season 1 budget.

While I thought the season started out with a lot of unnecessary sexual content, it didn't bother me, and i thought it dropped way off as the season progressed. There was just enough to let the viewer know what was going on without going overboard, like with Berlin & Nolan.

I could also be desensitized by other stuff, like "Game of Thrones" that all but makes Defiance feel almost "G" rated.

alred
09-06-2014, 07:22 AM
"Save Defiance", I'm willing to bet, is talking about the flash game and not the TV series.

Though it is curious as to why Syfy split the broadcast of the show up, and why they are taking so long to let us know if it's canceled or renewed/ I think I read somewhere that the actors contracts expired last month, hence if the series were to go forward. They'd need new contracts. Which may explain the delay in the "renewed or canceled" news.
I think Syfy, like the majority of broadcasters, are rather dumb when it comes to the interwebs. I'm willing to bet a large portion of the international audience has already seen season 2 of Defiance, thanks to various sites. So the numbers might be down internationally, like they were domestically.

Here is a thought:
Are Domestic numbers down [which seems to be a common trend on almost all TV programing], because people are waiting for it to hit Netflix/Amazon so they can watch the entire season in a few days?
I kinda think that could be the reason. Does anyone track the number of downloads at the "pirate" sites? [Commercial free, HD quality]. Maybe some of the lost numbers went there.

I read that this year is the last season of Lost Girl, which I think is ok. As the show was getting "lost".

JEMINAI
09-06-2014, 06:33 PM

they should change the name of "falling skies" to "hugging dudes"
aside from the constant male bonding i do still prefer skies over defiance.
Defiance has no direction. kinda like the game....
and you should never try to sexualize the villains!
who wants to see star wars' emperor dance in front of his mirror?
or vader get a handy... :(
/chills

MadDogTremor
09-06-2014, 07:12 PM
But....but....but...it's the Internet! So it HAS to be true!

That was sarcasm by the way....