PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial & Vehicles Pursuits are too Hard.

Fun01
09-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Time Trial & Vehicles Pursuits are too hard, especially Suburban Chaos & Ridgeline Racer.
I don't believe I am the only one that can not completed Vehicles Pursuits due time limit of Time Trials.

Please consider either increase the time require for gold or lower all vehicles pursuit's requirement to silver or maybe even Bronze.

Or possibly change Vehicles Pursuits to either achieve a golden time or cross the finish line 50 time with or without metals.

Thanks.

Annouke
09-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I hate doing those and personally gave up on them. If they would maybe switch the runner to the model you get from finishing the Sniper Ridge pursuit and maybe adjusting the time some (this one handles alot better IMO then the one you must use for the trials) could work but then others might complain because they done it no problem. Also, don't pay attention too much to the leaderboard times cause there was and still is a exploit that can help you get a lower time which they never fixed.

Maixx
09-06-2014, 08:57 PM
This has been complained about since launch.
They already nerfed it.
They already fixed how vehicles path.

Read these for info.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?167487-Time-Trial-Suckage/page2&highlight=trials
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?163626-Time-trail-golds&highlight=trials
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?160946-Time-Trials.....UGGH&highlight=trials

nathanpbutler
09-06-2014, 08:58 PM
They are definitely doable, as there are plenty of us who have completed all of them with gold to get the black Challenger (which was once a big deal, though not so much these days I guess).

A few pieces of advice that usually tend to help:

1. Get your vehicle skill level up. All of your vehicles level up based on driving them and dealing damage by running things over. They can reach as high as 20 for each, and you get upgrades to your stats as you do so.

2. Replay the races like crazy. The more you get a feel for the optimal route, especially for where and how to avoid those asinine little cracked road bits, rocks, etc. that totally screw up your runs, the better off you'll be.

3. Clear out the big, deadly emergencies along your route. Unless you are really good at dodging Hellbug Monarchs, get those out of your way. You can't clear your entire path usually, but you can at least minimize the things that can appear in your way and ruin your run.

4. If you start a race and find that EGO's countdown seems delayed, restart immediately. There are often delays at the start of a race that will end up adding a few seconds to your time that can make all the difference.

5. If you are frequently getting VERY close to the medal you want, get a feel for what time you need to be hitting by certain points of the race. That way, if you realize that you are behind by a certain point in the race, you can restart before you reach the end, saving yourself the jog back to the starting point and any time wasted finishing out a run you are already certain isn't going to get you the medal you want.

They're all doable, but they are meant to be a challenge, especially for gold.

Annouke
09-06-2014, 09:05 PM
I know personally I can barely get silver due to a few factors like my pc isn't all that great, server lag and on a few instances the arches not loading intil I'm pass them due to a large amount of events going on in the area. Too much headaches have been received from trying so, gave up on them. Hopefully trick makes good on what he said and gives those of us that don't want to finish the time trials, pvp pursuits etc.. a way to get to the cap.

Seizan
09-06-2014, 09:33 PM
It takes time, patience, and practice but it's definitely not impossible.

They used to be more difficult prior to the patch and many people got gold on them the hard way.

If you really want the pursuits then try and try again. If it gets too frustrating and begins to ruin your gaming experience, then go do something else first and come back to it later.

nathanpbutler
09-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Hopefully trick makes good on what he said and gives those of us that don't want to finish the time trials, pvp pursuits etc.. a way to get to the cap.

Personally, I really doubt that they'll go THAT far when it comes to the cap, unless the game lasts a very long time. Right now, the EGO cap is 5900, but the actual maximum right now is 5941 (5906 available to all and 35 from Season 1 that were available then but removed later). So, right now, if you weren't around for Season 1 and wanted to hit the cap, you could only really ignore one of the +5 EGO pursuits out of ALL of the pursuits that are out there.

Let's look at the pursuits that deal with Time Trials and the EGO they provide:

Mount Tam Exploration II: +5
Mount Tam Exploration III: +5
Mount Tam Recon (requires Mount Tam Exploration II and III): +40

Madera Exploration II: +5
Madera Exploration III: +5
Madera Exploration IV: +5
Touring Madera (requires Madera Exploration II, III, and IV): +40

Marin Exploration II: +5
Marin Exploration III: +5
Marin Exploration IV: +5
March Through Marin (requires Marin Exploration II, III, and IV): +40

Sausalito Exploration II: +5
Sausalito Exploration III: +5
Sausalito Exploration IV: +5
Sausalito Trek (requires Sausalito Exploration II, III, and IV): +40

San Francisco Exploration II: +5
San Francisco Exploration III: +5
San Francisco Exploration IV: +5
Scouting San Francisco (requires San Francisco Exploration II, III, and IV): +40

Pedal to Metal I: +5
Pedal to Metal II: +5
Pedal to Metal III: +5
Pedal to Metal IV: +15
Pedal to Metal V: +15
Racing Pro (requires Pedal to Metal I - V): +40

That's TWENTY-FIVE pursuits.

So, if you don't want to have to get gold medals on Time Trials, you would be skipping out on 85 EGO. If you don't want to even have to get silver medals on Time Trials, you would be skipping out on a whopping 355 EGO.

Unless you REALLY think that they are going to add enough pursuits in the future to add nearly 350 more EGO to make up for bailing out on 355 EGO worth of pursuits, then you're going to eventually have to do at least some of them if you intend to hit the EGO cap.

Also, bear in mind that they have said that they will eventually raise the EGO cap again. (They said this when assuring folks also that if you gain EGO over 5900, they are tracking it, so you'll get to keep that extra EGO when the cap raises later.) Every time they raise that cap, they'll have to add a lot of pursuits to make up for not doing the Time Trials.

I'm just not buying it. Sure, they want to make it easier to hit the cap eventually for those who have a particular thing they don't want to do, but the idea of them making it possible to hit the cap without completing 25 pursuits seems a bit on the ridiculous side. I can't see it ever happening.

Annouke
09-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Either way, you only really get slightly more shields and damage. And to be honest they could very well add more if the game lasts and yea no one knows if more dlc and such would be release for either free or paid content but I'm sure they would at least give player options. I mean if my pc could handle it and I actually cared about banging my head on a wall intil I got gold then I would but I'm almost 5.3k ego so Most I'll go is to 5400 unless more content is released which I'm ok with. Saves me the headache of the time trials and I'll just have to finish grinding out the pvp stuff which is mostly the misc type kills i have left to do + time.

edit: Forgot to say, don't get me wrong if I could do them I would but has of right now even bronze is out of the question on some due to either pc problem, runner handling or some form of lag. I am a achievement junky (hell maxed out everything on FFXI Online all quests done, max rank for the 3 Nations all jobs to max etc..) Just not going to bother with something as simple and yet frustrating as time trials =D

JadedSinn
09-07-2014, 12:18 AM
yea no one knows if more dlc and such would be release for either free or paid content but I'm sure they would at least give player options.

it has been stated (( and can be found here on the forums if you look hard enough and bak far enough )) there will NEVER be any more DLCS that are payed for. after thay made there 5 DLCs thay where done makeing them. from then on it is and will be ONLY updates and addons though updates and patches.

atleast that was the understanding that i got when thay announced that there would be no more DLCs. but hay who knows. thay might get a wild hair up there nose and deside that suddenly thay want to release 5 more DLCs in order to make a little extra money. we wont know till trion makes announcements.

as for the time triles and persuits for them

im ego 5009 yes that is my ego cap at the moment for my self . becuse i refuse to do any of the time trils i feel there a waist of game time and should of been filler content that was not needed to compleat the ego caps. the same goes for PVP filler content that shouldnt of been used for ego caps. (( MO)) so if its about reaching 5k it can be done with weapon XP weapon persuites raguler xp and anything else you want to add in there. thats for season 1 and season 2 content also. if you own any DLCs you canm bypass this point by compleating persuits for the DLCs you own. (( i feel realy sorry for the guys that cant get the WM one compleated. that own that DLC and am glad i got it befor all the changes ))

to add to it. i also didnt bother with finishing off my castathen thron leiro persuits and i still havenot compleated all of season 2s new grid ones. :) so i can still grow if i like. but over all if your just looking for 5k so you can do the exspert runs and such. just aboive PVP and time trials ull make it just fine to 5 k.

on the other hand. if you realy want that maxed out ego level better listen to the guys that have done it. and beat them with golds and just keep at it. some day youll get them. or trion will give in and just remove the pvp and time trial persuits from the game and make it so no one has to do them :: shrug :: good luck and have fun

Snib
09-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Am I the only one then who found the time trials fun and not that hard to do? They were one of the first things I completed in the game, a few were tricky but many I hit gold on the first try.

They are fun to get to know the map when you are new and you can do them at any EGO unlike the big fights where you become usless when TL hits 10 and you are a new player.

crazyged
09-07-2014, 01:22 AM
One or two of them were frustrating, but not overly hard.

Just boost whenever you can, and that perfect run will happen.

It's well worth it to persevere for that extra ego!

Kanah
09-07-2014, 03:27 AM
One or two of them were frustrating, but not overly hard.

Overall I found them quite irritating. Not so hard if you focus on one at a time and keep doing it till you learn every turn and obstacle.

It's just very annoying to be making good time then get stopped dead by a concrete flower in sight of the finish line.

Snib
09-07-2014, 03:57 AM
For most of them you can still get gold even after getting stopped cold by some obstacle though. I certainly planted my face into things all the time and still finished fine.

superstorm
09-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Btw, not related, but the rampage "Hellbug Extermination" is impossible to win now, after score gaining nerf.

JEMINAI
09-07-2014, 05:22 AM
consider...
you may want to level up your vehicle skills for boost, refresh and top speed etc.
that said, a maxed out quad in san fran is some crazy racing.
oh and use ur handbreak!

crazyged
09-07-2014, 05:30 AM
a maxed out quad in san fran is some crazy racing.

Yeah, you get some massive air in that one trial - and if you don't land just right, it's down the side!

Snib
09-07-2014, 05:51 AM
consider...
you may want to level up your vehicle skills for boost, refresh and top speed etc.
that said, a maxed out quad in san fran is some crazy racing.
oh and use ur handbreak!

If you break at all you're doing it wrong. And you gain some good runner levels on those races, think I started at lvl8 and finished around lvl11.

Blackwolfe
09-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I did the pursuits long before they were nerfed the first time (during beta and then again after release), but I can see people having problems with the races when it lags. The few times after I came back (3 weeks ago) I tried to run any race (for fun, since I don't really need them) I'd be lucky if the checkpoints popped up as I was driving into them. Sometimes they didn't appear until after I had passed (but missed) them.

Assuming no lag.. As others have said, max out your vehicle skills. Make sure to use up the boosts before running into a checkpoints with a boost refill (they have rings inside of them) and don't use boosts while in the air (because boosting in the air does no difference in speed). That and run the races over and over and over again until you nail it. Practice makes perfect.

hiban
09-07-2014, 08:17 AM
i remember when i did the time trials that, for some reason, the lag was way higher when at night (in the game's night).

So be sure to run during the day, and also set the detail level to the minimum to minimize the lag as much as possible.

Seizan
09-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Trust me, they are much more difficult to do when you can't reverse (the left trigger on my controller isn't sensitive enough for me to reverse). lol

Sevrin
09-07-2014, 08:43 AM
I don't hate the time trials but I just can't do them (my 63-year old fingers and reflexes just don't cooperate). But I do dislike PVP. Without doing a single time trial or any PVP I have reached an ego of 52XX. So you can get pretty far in the game without them.

I doubt they will nerf the time trials or remove the pursuits at this stage in the game. But I think there is a solution that has not yet been talked about in this thread. And that is simply remove the XP cap and allow an alternative route for players who wish to level to the ego cap w/o doing all the pursuits. I have made this suggestion before and and received some pretty negative responses along the line that this suggestion is a slap in the face to those who have spent their time and energy to complete all the pursuits. So once again, I point out that I make this suggestion with all due respect and a tip of my hat to all the excellent veterans -- many of them are my clan mates -- who have put in the the hard work and perseverance to level by completing the pursuits. I am just suggesting that we add some alternative ways to play this game that may open the game up to a more diverse group of players.

Mushbeeguy
09-07-2014, 09:07 AM
While I am in exactly the same boat ( and around the same ego) I'm ok with it. You shouldn't be top of the class if you don't do all of it. I despise PvP. I just won't do it. And I truly suck at those time trials. Really, driving with a controller? Why, am I 12? :)
Sadly we can't all be the best. At every parade someone has to sit on the side of the road and cheer.

PTR47
09-07-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't mind driving with a controller. Heck, I played Gran Turismo 5 for months and loved every minute of it. The problem is, the vehicle physics in Defiance are horrible. I hate driving in the game, period. Often I'll just run.

Couple that with emergencies spawning directly on the track, and, I gave up. I got silvers in everything and am now 54xx, but I tried a few times for gold. I'd run a track and stop at every emergency and clear them all out, and then when I went to do the trials, by the time I was on lap 2, things were respawning. I've actually had my vehicle destroyed during the time trials.

Ya, I gave up. Screw time trials.

Snowclan
09-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I did not enjoy doing the races. Even with my vehicle skills maxed out it took me hours of doing courses over and over just to get the silver. I do not believe it is possible for me to get the gold. I can live with losing out on 85 ego points and a car I guess.

The races and the PvP pursuits stand out to me in that they require me to spend substantial time doing something I don't enjoy. That strikes me as poor game design.

LegendaryU2K
09-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Hard? Not really, i mean i haven't played all of them . But my only complaint is some of them is too damn long, that one with the durango feels like an hour long driving. I only play some of them once and that's it.

Cooper504
09-07-2014, 12:35 PM
The time trials weren't to bad. They just require a lot of patience. On the other hand that sniper rifle challenge is just ridiculous.

Annouke
09-07-2014, 07:31 PM
which sniper rifle challenge? Only two I have issues with is the Hellbug Exterminate (minigun) and I forget the name of it but 99er's and minigun @ one of the hidden venders (the dmg is just way too low.. 180's on 99ers and that is with some headshots)

Fun01
09-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the replay and inputs, and special thanks for those posting tips on how to completed Time Trial and trying to help.

It is obvious some players find vehicle pursuits are easy to completed, however that is not what this thread is about. If you have already completed vehicle pursuits due to some kind exploit or just very good at Defiance Vehicle physic. Well, good for you, and please stop posting here. We don't need to know you have completed vehicle pursuits, or how many second you can go beyond the Gold Time requirement and how much you enjoy time trial.

This thread is mainly looking for a way out for frustrate players, who just absolute find time trial ZERO joy, and simply want a way out without suffering Ego rating.

Snib
09-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the replay and inputs, and special thanks for those posting tips on how to completed Time Trial and trying to help.

It is obvious some players find vehicle pursuits are easy to completed, however that is not what this thread is about. If you have already completed vehicle pursuits due to some kind exploit or just very good at Defiance Vehicle physic. Well, good for you, and please stop posting here. We don't need to know you have completed vehicle pursuits, or how many second you can go beyond the Gold Time requirement and how much you enjoy time trial.

This thread is mainly looking for a way out for frustrate players, who just absolute find time trial ZERO joy, and simply want a way out without suffering Ego rating.

There is no way out other than simply not doing the pursuits. Also best don't post in a discussion forum if you don't want to hear opinions differing from yours. Nobody was aggressive towards you, lashing out now and even suggesting that those who completed the pursuits used exploits is bad form.

crazyged
09-08-2014, 10:33 AM

http://www.crazyfool.co.za/gifs/cheeks.gif

TheOz
09-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Time Trial & Vehicles Pursuits are too hard, especially Suburban Chaos & Ridgeline Racer.
I don't believe I am the only one that can not completed Vehicles Pursuits due time limit of Time Trials.

Please consider either increase the time require for gold or lower all vehicles pursuit's requirement to silver or maybe even Bronze.

Or possibly change Vehicles Pursuits to either achieve a golden time or cross the finish line 50 time with or without metals.

Thanks.

I am HORRIBLE at driving in video games. I got Gold in all of these so you can do it. Be patient. Level up your runners. I advise you using a runner in your loadouts until you finish the races, you know, for the extra practice.

crazyged
09-08-2014, 10:43 AM
I am HORRIBLE at driving in video games. I got Gold in all of these so you can do it. Be patient. Level up your runners. I advise you using a runner in your loadouts until you finish the races, you know, for the extra practice.

Apparently, they don't want encouragement or advice - seems it's more fun wallowing in self-pity.

Extreme Rugburn
09-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Some of these are a complete *****, such as Ridgline racer. I cannot get silver, let alone Gold. Emergencies and arkfalls seem to always pop up mid race and they dont show up until you run into them and your ride explodes, race over at that point. Most races im off of the silver mark by 5 seconds. Twice I have gotten within 1 second, once I had it beat, but overshot the final ****ing ring. That danm race is too long and im tired of doing it over and over again. Even at level 20 with clan boost its kicking my ***. I know its doable, plenty of people have done it, and I know I can get at least Silver, but im just tired of trying. It shouldnt take more than 20 attempts to beat these stupid things.

Wurm
09-08-2014, 11:35 AM
The driving made my best friend almost rage quit. And I admit I came pretty close to it on a few tracks myself.

You see it isn't really the driving thats so bad, but the endless stream of encounter pops on the race tracks that makes a challenge into a torturous ordeal, most of the time.

If they could reduce the number of random "harvest BS for Varus!" missions (to give an example) that spawn directly in the race track by half, you probably wouldn't see anyone in here complaining.

As is I still have a few tracks left in SF that I just decided to right out ignore for now. I like my mouse and I really don't want to smash it into my wall.

NeuroticHitman
09-08-2014, 11:39 AM
If you think they are hard now, you should have completed them when Volge emergencies spawned every 100meters or when they cut through dark matter arkfalls (which they still might). There is nothing complicated about the Time Trials, the best advice is to level up to 20 and then do them.

NeuroticHitman
09-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Apparently, they don't want encouragement or advice - seems it's more fun wallowing in self-pity.
Misery loves company...

Noble_One
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
time trials seem hard but they arent. the best way to beat them is for your first or second run use these are track learners. if you are trying to go in on a first attempt win youre are usually going to fail since you dont know the track yet.

another great tip is while you are on your run and you see either mobs in the way or an arkfall... THEN GET RID OF IT!! dont try and go around them, just either kill the mob or complete the arkfall/side mission thats on the track. it will save you a headache.

as for the rings not loading i rarely ran into this and the times i hear people run into this it turns out their pc they are on is low. so in that regard all i can tell you is put the graphic to minimum while you run the track. if you are on console and this is happening then follow the first advice i gave you. even if the ring isnt loading for you 90% of the time the ring has already loaded and when you drive past it it will count it.

the time trails just take patience and timing on your boost.

Snib
09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
as for the rings not loading i rarely ran into this and the times i hear people run into this it turns out their pc they are on is low.

Nope, that's a server lag issue, had that all the time and my PC can run this game several times over. However, while the rings can be delayed they do show on the minimap ahead of time so just navigate using that. That's useful anyway because you see the way to go much earlier even if there is no lag.

Deunan
09-08-2014, 04:06 PM
...It's well worth it to persevere for that extra ego!...No it's not. :p

Seriously though, it's unpleasant enough for some players, myself included, to not even bother to go for the gold. I enjoyed getting my PvP pursuits more than I did getting the few time trial golds I've gotten so far and I really dislike PvP in general and in this game in particular. That's how much I can't stand the time trials.

I also think it was a wrong for them to put in driving skill based pursuits as part of the leveling system for an MMO shooter, especially for one where it's so tangential to the gameplay. If they wanted to reward those mini-games with more than the modest scrip and salvage rewards, they should have tied more rewards other than pursuit points for getting them, maybe even create a separate faction vendor for them and give out 1, 5 and 10 faction tokens a day for bronze, silver and gold. That would be less objectionable than making them a part of the leveling requirements for the game.

nathanpbutler
09-08-2014, 04:25 PM
I also think it was a wrong for them to put in driving skill based pursuits as part of the leveling system for an MMO shooter, especially for one where it's so tangential to the gameplay. If they wanted to reward those mini-games with more than the modest scrip and salvage rewards, they should have tied more rewards other than pursuit points for getting them, maybe even create a separate faction vendor for them and give out 1, 5 and 10 faction tokens a day for bronze, silver and gold. That would be less objectionable than making them a part of the leveling requirements for the game.

The driving is part of the overall experience, alongside Hotshots, Rampages, etc., so it is probably a bit overboard to say that they shouldn't have included pursuits for them at all, but I'll grant you that it seems a bit excessive to have SO many tied into the Time Trials. It would have made more sense perhaps for them to have kept the gold medal pursuits that tie into Pedal to Metal/Racing Pro, rather than putting a silver medal on a race as a requirement in almost every regional pursuit (Madera, San Francisco, etc.), which then makes them, in essence, a part of the final pursuit for each region. Perhaps having them more compartmentalized to a category in and of themselves, akin to how PVP was handled in most respects, would have been more applicable to a game that is, at its core, a shooter, not a racer.

Deunan
09-08-2014, 04:57 PM
The driving is part of the overall experience, alongside Hotshots, Rampages, etc., so it is probably a bit overboard to say that they shouldn't have included pursuits for them at allWhile they're all minigames, Hot Shots and Rampages actually involve shooting skill and strategy. Vehicles are simply a means to get from location A to location B (to shoot even more things! :D ) There is literally no skill requirement for their use in the entire game outside of the mini games.

The crux of the issue is that they designed pursuits when EGO rating was not the measure of one's actual level in the game. This game only had horizontal leveling with extremely marginal vertical leveling. EGO rating literally was almost entirely just a measure of how much of the game content you had completed, somewhat analogous to Xbox Achievements or PS3 Trophies or Steam Achievements. Then, in an effort to structure the game in form that the company believed would be more conducive to monetizing the players when it went F2P, they turned that on its head and used it as the games measure of leveling for power scaling of characters and gear which is why it seems so dysfunctional to new players (and old players as well but less so because we are aware of the original intent).

On an interesting side note, they're not the first sci-fi MMO developer to do this. It turns out that Red 5 might have predated them on this while Firefall was still in beta. The original beta version also had a horizontal scaling system and they replaced it with a conventional vertical leveling system in the later stages of beta which similarly upset a lot of the beta players.

WanWhiteWolf
09-08-2014, 05:20 PM
It took me about 3 hours to finish all of them. I had to remake the Muir one 4 times. Apart from that ...it was 1-2 attempts. What I can suggest:

.1. DON"T JUMP. Sounds stupid but if you jump you are slower and once you are in air you can't control anything. If you see a hill and you are not sure what's on the other side, slow down a little and make sure you don't end up off-road / on a rock / in a lake...etc. 95% of the time a small jump / no jump will save you time. The other 5% you will laugh, and remember the place for the next run.

.2. Boost only on straight road. Yes, you can do it in curves with drift. But if you are that good you don't need advises on how to get gold. Simply use boost when it's safe so. Even without boost you get gold without to much trouble.

.3. If you are not sure where to go, slow down. That extra 0.5 second gained is not worth the risk. You don't need to drive perfect to get gold.

I even missed 2 gates in one round and still got gold. If you can't do them, simply ignore the pursuits till later in the game. Use a hanibal roller to get used to. It will come a lot easier once you get used with the handling.

PS: The Durango challenge is hard. But that's not in the pursuits so no need to worry about that. It is for car grinders.

nathanpbutler
09-08-2014, 05:35 PM
It is for car grinders.

I hear that chafes. ;)

Bonehead
09-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I hear that chafes. ;)

Just a little talcum powder and it's fine.

Terrato137
09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Difficulty of the time trials, from my experience anyhow, depends on what enemies are there along your path. One of the time trials I was doing once had a bunch of small groups of enemies with objects that could slow you down a lot or even stop you, such as raider trucks. Clear what needs to be cleared, then try again.

nathanpbutler
09-08-2014, 07:39 PM
I guess another piece of advice would be to get used to the movement patterns of monarchs. Those are the ones that I usually ruined runs by running into, but after a while, you get a sense of how they are likely to move if in your path, and you can dodge around them...

...assuming they have actually loaded and can be SEEN when you run into them.

JEMINAI
09-08-2014, 08:00 PM
If you break at all you're doing it wrong. And you gain some good runner levels on those races, think I started at lvl8 and finished around lvl11.

not true re. breaking.
hence the "powerslide".
a lot longer down the road you will notice how it can be used for control.

Snib
09-09-2014, 12:37 AM
not true re. breaking.
hence the "powerslide".
a lot longer down the road you will notice how it can be used for control.

It's very true. Simply easing off the accelerator but keeping your traction is in nearly all cases preferable for your overall speed due to the vehicle bleeding off speed rather quickly with every traction loss and due to the way it accelerates badly at low speeds.

crazyged
09-09-2014, 12:50 AM
It's very true. Simply easing off the accelerator but keeping your traction is in nearly all cases preferable for your overall speed due to the vehicle bleeding off speed rather quickly with every traction loss and due to the way it accelerates badly at low speeds.

Yup, I never braked once when I did it. I just boosted and held on for dear life, most of the time.

Noble_One
09-09-2014, 03:26 AM
actually you can brake in pretty much any of them and still get gold. ive done it in almost all of them. braking or power sliding is better than going full speed and screwing up and having to restart due to it :P

Blackwolfe
09-09-2014, 04:18 AM
It's pretty frustrating when mobs that usually are one shot by running over them suddenly feel more like concrete and your car like a rubber ball due to someone causing them to rank up :P

justified insanity
09-09-2014, 05:00 AM
I do not have a whole lot of problems when it comes to events such as these. I just cant figure out how the F*** some score so high in some events. You are correct it should be a little easier. It usually takes me quite a few tries until I score a passing grade. Either that or improve the lag in courses. I like most have lost do to lag.

Lubber
09-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Required some afford (some runs from first attempt, some only from the 7th), but was done pretty quick (in two evenings). Agree with those post above suggesting to max your driving skills first (some extra speed and boosting time may be all you need). And, though it is hard with game physics, try to avoid jumping a lot (better to say: jump down, but not vertical up). Jumps make you to lose control and so may lead to drastic landing.
Also you may think of enemies on the path as variable component and if it is THE problem - abandon this race and come back later.

JEMINAI
09-09-2014, 06:06 AM

Im sorry did they change them to straight line time trials?
it is situational. breaking or stopping acceleration has the same effect, you are going to slow down.
difference is, if you can control it, breaking is quicker to take effect in some situations.
turning your vehicle quicker means you can accelerate out of corners quicker. in some cases i powerslide through longer curves and never leave the road.
Note: Powerslide is handbrake+Boost+turning, you also never take your finger off the accelerator.

are you not losing traction in the air when you could have corrected yourself quicker in a slide to stay on the ground?

i dunno perhaps ive just been doing it so long its second nature.
perhaps im an aggressive driver :P
perhaps riding in pvp forces you to make quick adjustment without the pressure of a timer.

obviously i dont slam it on and hope for the best. i tap it. unless ofc i wanna do a 360 in a hurry (also useful in getting gold in a trial if u recover quickly from spinning out, crashing or missing a ring. you can get away with 2-3 mishaps).
especially effective in a dodge btw.

go practice doin donuts.

*but i think the most relevant factor in achieving gold in a time trial is learning the course. and that will take a lot of attempts if it is particularly heinous. i remember its like learning and repeating the moves you make in handling the terrain optimally. part of that is knowing when to boost too.
or if coming to a near stop is better than trying to fight the vehicle on a tight turn or risk getting airborne.

Snib
09-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Yes, and in particular in some of the bay area trials powersliding through some of those ravines can gain you some seconds. But you're forgetting the context, we're talking in a thread of players who have trouble even getting silver, so I maintain my point that for them it is nearly always preferable to simply slow down slightly rather than risk spinning out of control after a poor breaking maneuver or losing too much speed by hitting those breaks too hard. Or even jumping too far and overshooting the road or a checkpoint. You do not need to be at top speed all the time to hit gold (except on those perma-boost road racer trials maybe) as long as you stay on the track.

In other words, there is no point teaching advanced techniques when the problem lies with the basics.

Kanah
09-09-2014, 08:24 AM
You do not need to be at top speed all the time to hit gold (except on those perma-boost road racer trials maybe) as long as you stay on the track.

I'm sure I didn't do any powerslides getting my golds. Just concentrate on getting through every hoop and keep trying. So long as you don't miss a hoop or hit a concrete flower they can all be done eventually.

MalJ
09-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Am I the only one then who found the time trials fun and not that hard to do? They were one of the first things I completed in the game, a few were tricky but many I hit gold on the first try.

They are fun to get to know the map when you are new and you can do them at any EGO unlike the big fights where you become usless when TL hits 10 and you are a new player.

I did a few when I started about a year ago and they weren't too difficult , but didn't particularly enjoy them so left them alone for a long while. When I went back to finish them off, after so many patches and game enhancements, many are impossible due the the extra spawning of emergencies and other enemy encounters. You invariably run over a hill/round a corner and BLAM straight into a bad guy or barrier that has suddenly appeared. I figure all those that liked and did the vehicle pursuits pre last xmas had an easier time than now.

crazyged
09-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I did a few when I started about a year ago and they weren't too difficult , but didn't particularly enjoy them so left them alone for a long while. When I went back to finish them off, after so many patches and game enhancements, many are impossible due the the extra spawning of emergencies and other enemy encounters. You invariably run over a hill/round a corner and BLAM straight into a bad guy or barrier that has suddenly appeared. I figure all those that liked and did the vehicle pursuits pre last xmas had an easier time than now.

Nope, had the same problems, but there's always a way around them...

Incidentally, I only bothered completing them around a month or so ago.

Snib
09-09-2014, 09:42 AM
I figure all those that liked and did the vehicle pursuits pre last xmas had an easier time than now.

Not in my case, but I do like racing games, so that's that. I realize that if you hate races you'll have an even harder time due to your negative disposition towards the task.

Running into enemies on the road was frustrating but awesome at the same time. Doing that perfect run and then smashing into a Volge around that last bend... well, take out your frustration on the big guy and try again!

Fun01
09-09-2014, 09:36 PM
You love racing games, go play Time Trial until your eye bleeds.
No one is stopping you nor does anyone give dame about, since you are effecting no one.

However, just like Deunan said Time Trial should NOT be impacting character ego rating growth.
I can understand Time Trial is in the pursuit so new players know wow Defiance has Racing game.
But, making people getting Gold or Silver with such strict time limitation is not acceptable!

I hope Trion staff is reading this, and something can be done.

Wurm
09-09-2014, 10:15 PM
another great tip is while you are on your run and you see either mobs in the way or an arkfall... THEN GET RID OF IT!! dont try and go around them, just either kill the mob or complete the arkfall/side mission thats on the track. it will save you a headache.

Only to have them respawn 2 secs later.

dxiapetus
09-09-2014, 11:20 PM
The Time Trials are something in the game that I don't enjoy at all. But I'm going to do them to get that extra EGO. I've only done the first two (Mount Tam)only. I had to do the first one roughly 10 times to get silver; the second, I think, 4 times to get silver.

My problem with the times trials at first was that I thought I was going to use the vehicle I was using already (durango) for them, and not the runner. So I ended up quitting the first one after failing 6 times, used the runner I had in all my loadouts to get a feel for them, and then went back to the first trial and got silver after 4 times.

I didn't use any boost or handbrakes and I had to memorize where the enemies (and any roadblocks) were so that I knew when to turn in order to even get silver.

I don't look forward to having to get gold in the other vehicle pursuits. I just wish the time trials, hotspots, and rampages were in their own map and the main one. That way, I don't have to hear my EGO telling me I'm leaving the controlled area. lol.

Back to the timed trials...
They are easy for some people and not so much for others. For me, I get more angry after failing so many of the vehicle timed trials than I do dying a million times on a mission with a swarm of enemies (and me running out of grenades). I can't help but think that the vehicle pursuits are only in the game because Defiance has Dodge as their sponsor (which isn't a bad thing), but it sucks when I'm trying to focus on being better at shooting with the weapons I am limited with than doing these trials for some EGO.

I'm a FTP player (too broke to buy any of the DLCs), so I want to get all the EGO I can.

Snib
09-10-2014, 12:32 AM
I can't help but think that the vehicle pursuits are only in the game because Defiance has Dodge as their sponsor (which isn't a bad thing),

The durango trials maybe, but all the ones you need for the pursuits are on that quad only which is unrelated to Dodge (although I'm willing to believe that they were looking for a sponsor for that one, too, but couldn't find one).

crazyged
09-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Here's a quick question:

What platform are most of you on - PC or console?

Apparently, it's actually easier using a keyboard and mouse than a controller, which is a bit of a deviation from the norm when it comes to driving...

Snib
09-10-2014, 12:45 AM
PC, but if the analog sticks work on the consoles it has to be easier there than with keyboard on PC because it allows for better control.

Bonehead
09-10-2014, 12:47 AM
PC but I use an X box controller for driving.

crazyged
09-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Hmmmmm...

Well, maybe just try keyboard and mouse, if anyone's struggling while using a controller - may get different results!

Lubber
09-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Hmmmmm...

Well, maybe just try keyboard and mouse, if anyone's struggling while using a controller - may get different results!

Playing on PC. There is no need for mouse in Time Trials. Just a keyboard. In fact, hand on the mouse usually confused me, because I've tried to make turns using it. So I see no problem using joystick for Time Trials. Just do not try to use it for shooter part of the game.

crazyged
09-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Playing on PC. There is no need for mouse in Time Trials. Just a keyboard. In fact, hand on the mouse usually confused me, because I've tried to make turns using it. So I see no problem using joystick for Time Trials. Just do not try to use it for shooter part of the game.

Woah, mouse does help you figure out your trajectories - I would have crashed and burned without it!

Snib
09-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Woah, mouse does help you figure out your trajectories - I would have crashed and burned without it!

same, I need to see the track before I turn into it, I wouldn't even know how to drive without the mouse.

dxiapetus
09-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Hmmmmm...

I got a big fail FAILED on my screen when I tried using the keyboard instead for a timed trial. I couldn't even get through the tunnel without missing all the rings in there. lol.

Here's a quick question:

What platform are most of you on - PC or console?

Apparently, it's actually easier using a keyboard and mouse than a controller, which is a bit of a deviation from the norm when it comes to driving...

I tried with the keyboard and failed so bad that it almost hurt my pride. I used to game over a decade ago, before the joysticks on controllers, and for me it's much easier to use controller's joysticks for anything (even driving) than a keyboard.

Almost forgot... PC with an XBox controller.

The durango trials maybe, but all the ones you need for the pursuits are on that quad only which is unrelated to Dodge (although I'm willing to believe that they were looking for a sponsor for that one, too, but couldn't find one).

And here I thought all the vehicles in the game were all Dodge, lol. Oops.

Snib
09-10-2014, 11:06 AM
And here I thought all the vehicles in the game were all Dodge, lol. Oops.

The quad you race on is a TMW (Terrestrial Motor Works) brand. Suppose they were trying to strike a deal with BMW (Bavarian Motor Works). ;)

Justincrediballs
09-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I almost think that the bonus' you get by leveling up your runners helps you in the challenges. So you might want to wait until you level up (or max) your runners before trying them. I finished this pursuit before they nerfed it with my runners around level 5... (with the exception of the san francisco area ones since you couldn't get there before a portion of storyline at that point) It's not really skill, it's more persistance and always drive to the end, even if you don't make it... it'll help you get used to the end of the track as well as the beginning... Just note slow-downs or things you hit, and try better the next time, and the next time, and so on... There were a couple that it took me 10+ tries on, but I made it eventually... Keep your calm, and you'll do better.

Edit: I also did them on this newer account after the nerfs and such, and it was a little easier, but still not as easy as it could be... it's still a lot of EGO to miss out on, just hang in there and keep trying every once in a while.

Fun01
09-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Try and try again???...I completely disagree!
To me this is either you get or you don't, Time Trial is completed different then other pursuits out there.

Unlike other pursuits kill NPC "A" for 50 times, there is no hope nor end to Time Trial.
You cross the finish line 20 times with 20 seconds or more from the Gold time requirement, and getting no progress and zero reward. Congratulation, you just waste your Saturday night gaining nothing but frustration to the game and company.

Doctor_Atomic
09-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I am not into driving games at all, I just wish they gave us a choice, driving test or something else. At this point I have given up on any pursuit that requires a driving game test.

This is yet another reason I never spend a dime on this game.

WanWhiteWolf
09-12-2014, 08:00 AM
The quad you race on is a TMW (Terrestrial Motor Works) brand. Suppose they were trying to strike a deal with BMW (Bavarian Motor Works). ;)

If they put a BMW .... well .... they could let us do the dodge circuit with it and half the time requirement. Even then, shouldn't be to hard.

To those who cannot make the driving pursuit(s). Simply skyp them. Don't tell me you reached maxed ego without the driving stuff.Even so ... How much ego you lose? 100-200 ego? That translates to almost nothing damagewise.

JEMINAI
09-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes, and in particular in some of the bay area trials powersliding through some of those ravines can gain you some seconds. But you're forgetting the context, we're talking in a thread of players who have trouble even getting silver, so I maintain my point that for them it is nearly always preferable to simply slow down slightly rather than risk spinning out of control after a poor breaking maneuver or losing too much speed by hitting those breaks too hard. Or even jumping too far and overshooting the road or a checkpoint. You do not need to be at top speed all the time to hit gold (except on those perma-boost road racer trials maybe) as long as you stay on the track.

In other words, there is no point teaching advanced techniques when the problem lies with the basics.

just to tie this up, your former statement of "if you break, you are doing it wrong" is inaccurate as i pointed out.
you are now saying handbreak and powerslides are advanced techniques. im glad we could agree.
as per the context, what i was suggesting in my post was not to be afraid to use it.

i will also add that when i did them way back when i didnt use the handbreak either. but having tried them again more recently i found it much easier with my own developed technique.

but i reiterate, learning the course is the key imo.

crazyged
09-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Well, bottom line is, it is do-able.

You'll either keep on trying for the 40 ego, or you'll always be short.

As simple as a choice...

My kryptonite is pvp (I have no shortage of suckage in it), but I'm gonna do it anyway!