PDA

View Full Version : Curioisity same server for PC + Xbox + PS, or each platform on its own?

AllGamer
09-16-2014, 08:16 AM
So as the question goes.

I was pondering if all the platforms are playing together in the same sesrver,
or if each PC, Xbox, and Playstation platform are each on their own dedicated server. :confused:

Fuzzy
09-16-2014, 08:19 AM
They are on their own dedicated servers.
It's split into regions too. So NA and EU aren't playing together.

AllGamer
09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks, good to know.

Then, the game is actually not doing that bad at all, I see A LOT of people in game most of the time, even in very odd morning hours, when most people should be sleeping :p

PhantasieTrion
09-16-2014, 10:12 AM
So as the question goes.

I was pondering if all the platforms are playing together in the same sesrver,
or if each PC, Xbox, and Playstation platform are each on their own dedicated server. :confused:

Hi AllGamer

Defiance is spread out across six (+1) environments.
An environment is a set of servers that make up the worlds of Defiance.
Each server is an individual instance of the world or a dungeon.

You can travel across servers (ie jumping to a friend on a different server).
You can not travel across environments (the closest you can get to this is when you ask me to do a character copy - when I do this I'm copying the record of your character from one environment to another).

Defiance has 6 + 1 public facing environments spread out across 3 platforms and 2 regions:

PS3 North America
PS3 Europe
XBox 360 North America
XBox 360 Europe
PC North America
PC Europe
PC Public Test Server

And then we have many more private environments (ie for Sony to do certification testing on, etc)

The reasons for you not being able to travel across environments, as well as the reasons why we do not group people from different platforms on the same environment is a business reason and not a technical reason. Internally, we do this all the time and the game supports it.

PS: I've seen posts in the past say that players are not grouped because one platform may have a better/worse input/control method than another. Ill leave it up the the players to decide if this is true or not, but this is certainly not the reason why!

Hope you find this interesting!

--Phantasie

AllGamer
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks Phantasie I apreciate your detailed answer. :)

RAGEFIGHTER
09-16-2014, 10:53 AM
it was wery intresting how ever i more intrestedin gam defense cuz only reason i fount for lags is hacking like cheat engines ect unless you hold your enviroments on pentium 3 pcs and have 10kb/s net connection :)

Snib
09-16-2014, 11:21 AM
the reasons why we do not group people from different platforms on the same environment is a business reason

Seeing as one of the main complaints is that the game world feels empty, preventing players from successfully completing several pursuits and events, might be considered a strong business case to change that, however. :)

PhantasieTrion
09-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Seeing as one of the main complaints is that the game world feels empty, preventing players from successfully completing several pursuits and events, might be considered a strong business case to change that, however. :)

Its not a business choice we control! :)

AllGamer
09-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Seeing as one of the main complaints is that the game world feels empty,

I'll have to venture a guess that's a feedback for the Xbox or Playstation servers only?

because the PC side seems very active to me, well at least from PC-NA

Snib
09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Its not a business choice we control! :)

Yes, I realize that, but couldn't resist the way you had worded that. :)

I'll have to venture a guess that's a feedback for the Xbox or Playstation servers only?

because the PC side seems very active to me, well at least from PC-NA

PC/EU. According to Steam the player numbers have stabilized at 2k players daily across all regions combined, which is not terribly much. Add to that some percentage for those not playing via Steam of course.

Of course those player numbers are still too much for the servers, join any event with more than 10 players and I'm pretty much guaranteed to get disconnected.