PDA

View Full Version : Threat Scaling Crock

Arglemesh
10-01-2014, 03:57 PM
While at a non-active synthesizer, the first player there was EGO 3804 with a threat of 4. A second player of EGO 4977 arrived and the threat went to 5. A third player of EGO 1357 arrived putting the threat at 10. Obviously the threat formula still needs fixing. Many conflict sites still need better play balance. The same applies to conflict sites, especially Sutro Tower and Trolley Graveyard. The battles there are ridiculous for the miniscule reward.

xxxxmingoxxxx
10-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Not so use better tactics like change guns or perks . those levels that you mentioned can handle those enemies. players NEED to step up your game.

Brindled
10-01-2014, 04:48 PM
When you are a low level player in a high threat area you need to take advantage of it. You can level weapons at an increased rate when it is such. Like mingo said, "use better tactics," like taking higher ground, using cover, dropping spikes for yourself and higher levels to use so the event goes quicker. You get points for helping the higher level players with your spikes. It all adds up.

Oh, and you might not see your name at the top of the scoreboard, but in the end you'll make a higher score than if you soloed the event by yourself. And remember, all you need to do is hit each mob with one shot to get an additional assisting score .

Edited for mistake.

OttawaREDBLACKS
10-01-2014, 06:00 PM
it takes time for it to register sometimes, occasionally one can be alone with tl 10 for a while.

Atticus Batman
10-01-2014, 07:36 PM
it takes time for it to register sometimes, occasionally one can be alone with tl 10 for a while.

Also nearby only shows people that are right next to you. The people that showed up may be at the other side of the event, so they won't show on radar or in the nearby list. However they are at the event so it raises the Tl.

Arglemesh
10-02-2014, 03:40 AM
Not so use better tactics like change guns or perks . those levels that you mentioned can handle those enemies. players NEED to step up your game.

Better tactics/weapons/perks can only compensate so much. Even MacArthur can get overwhelmed. The spawn timers for next waves do not change with threat level. It is easy to get a screen full of red dots because they can't be killed as fast. When 40+ Dark Matter are parked in front of the hub with a couple Bulwarks hatching it, I do not care what weapons/perks/tactics you have or how smart a player thinks he is. You can eventually win, but after a long time of agony or give up and leave. That is BS.

Lubber
10-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Better tactics/weapons/perks can only compensate so much... First, during sieges wave do not complete before you kill each and every enemy in current wave. Second during DM events the best tactics is not to run around like an idiot, but to guard green boosters, to boost yourself and to prevent enemies boost. Though, if you are along it makes you to run like idiot between boosters.
Speaking about tactics, one may always back off a bit and snipe from distance. TL does not matter.

Arglemesh
10-02-2014, 03:37 PM
First, during sieges wave do not complete before you kill each and every enemy in current wave. Second during DM events the best tactics is not to run around like an idiot, but to guard green boosters, to boost yourself and to prevent enemies boost. Though, if you are along it makes you to run like idiot between boosters.
Speaking about tactics, one may always back off a bit and snipe from distance. TL does not matter.

You can't always back off and snipe if you have to maintain a certain objective active. TL does matter. 3-4 head shots vs. 1 at low threat levels.

I generally do not have issues with sieges/arkfalls. I am mainly concerned about events where waves continuously spawn at small time intervals until a timer event expires. Often this timer experiences an interrupt caused by npcs. If you wish the event to end, you have to get in there and restart the mechanism. Decoy only works so much if you are the only one with it. Cloak only lets you get close but is worthless while activating the mechanism. These events do not draw the number of people in arkfalls/sieges but just draw enough to screw up things.

J8 Sky
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Oh come on guys, the PvE mobs in this game is already too easy compared to ANY other MMO's i have played.

on other games you may even die 20 or more times trying to kill a boss or mini boss that is over your level.
which in Defiance a boss even with TL10 is only 250 Ego above you (you get boosted to 4750) and is easy cheese, even elites are like normal mobs. just use the "right" weapons with correct useful stats, and keep it close to your ego level.

It took me a bit over 2 weeks to get 5k+ ego , in some MMO's it takes 10 months even if you play 8+ hours a day !

bertonmai
10-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Oh come on guys, the PvE mobs in this game is already too easy compared to ANY other MMO's i have played.

on other games you may even die 20 or more times trying to kill a boss or mini boss that is over your level.
which in Defiance a boss even with TL10 is only 250 Ego above you (you get boosted to 4750) and is easy cheese, even elites are like normal mobs. just use the "right" weapons with correct useful stats, and keep it close to your ego level.

It took me a bit over 2 weeks to get 5k+ ego , in some MMO's it takes 10 months even if you play 8+ hours a day !Actually, I believe I read on a different thread where the TL10 mobs were scaled to 6k. I may be wrong here, but it seems a bit more accurate.

If I'm wrong, I apologize for misinformation.

However, I do agree with the rest of your post. Defiance as it stands now is extremely easy. Much different than when I started.

Baines
10-02-2014, 06:46 PM
However, I do agree with the rest of your post. Defiance as it stands now is extremely easy. Much different than when I started.

The annoying thing, beyond lag currently making parts of the game nearly unplayable, is that you often have little control over how difficult an area is.

The base TL is often too weak to be a challenge, but you can't do anything on your own to increase it. On the other hand, just because someone is passing through at the wrong time, you can see the game jump from TL 3 to TL 9 in an instant, and suddenly find yourself facing a new wave of bullet sponge enemies before it drops back to TL 4. With no other player actually in the area helping fight those stronger enemies.

For similar reasons, the advice of "Just go to a lower TL area if you find yourself outmatched" is useless. Any area can see TL seesaw, particularly when weekly pursuits and events are sending higher level players into what were presumably originally meant (before TL) to be lower level areas. You might as well ride out the higher TL and reap what extra rewards you can manage, at least as long as there are actually new players in the area fighting the same enemies, which again isn't always guaranteed with the TL system. (Heck, I'd drive around looking for higher TL areas for the extra challenge/reward, if there was any real pattern to it and anything to find actually worth playing.)

When I saw the co-op missions offered a difficulty selection, I had a hope there of some selectable challenge, but no you can only choose between Normal and Expert, and Expert is level locked anyway.

Atticus Batman
10-02-2014, 08:09 PM
The annoying thing, beyond lag currently making parts of the game nearly unplayable, is that you often have little control over how difficult an area is.

The base TL is often too weak to be a challenge, but you can't do anything on your own to increase it. On the other hand, just because someone is passing through at the wrong time, you can see the game jump from TL 3 to TL 9 in an instant, and suddenly find yourself facing a new wave of bullet sponge enemies before it drops back to TL 4. With no other player actually in the area helping fight those stronger enemies.

For similar reasons, the advice of "Just go to a lower TL area if you find yourself outmatched" is useless. Any area can see TL seesaw, particularly when weekly pursuits and events are sending higher level players into what were presumably originally meant (before TL) to be lower level areas. You might as well ride out the higher TL and reap what extra rewards you can manage, at least as long as there are actually new players in the area fighting the same enemies, which again isn't always guaranteed with the TL system. (Heck, I'd drive around looking for higher TL areas for the extra challenge/reward, if there was any real pattern to it and anything to find actually worth playing.)

When I saw the co-op missions offered a difficulty selection, I had a hope there of some selectable challenge, but no you can only choose between Normal and Expert, and Expert is level locked anyway.

Um there are 3 settings. Normal = tl1, advanced = tl5, and expert tl10.
Advanced becomes unlocked when you are I believe ego 3k, and expert at ego 5k.

Either level up and unlock them or group with a friend that is high enough ego to have them unlocked then have him pick that difficulty.

J8 Sky
10-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Actually, I believe I read on a different thread where the TL10 mobs were scaled to 6k. I may be wrong here, but it seems a bit more accurate.

If I'm wrong, I apologize for misinformation.

either of us is wrong, i should have been more clarify. TL10 is from 5k to max 6k. that is the reason why sometimes TL10 seem "easy" , and sometimes it seems like a bullet sponge. but if it's just a small group and you see TL10, most likely it's the 5k range TL10. if it's a large group of mostly high ego players, i'm almost positive it's the "Hard" TL10.

Snowclan
10-02-2014, 09:22 PM
A nice clear explanation of how Threat Level is calculated and what it means can be found on DefianceData.com
http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=205

When you get an ego boost to match the current threat level, your gear is boosted by the same number as your ego was. That can make a big difference if your gear lags much behind your current ego rating.

Lubber
10-03-2014, 06:23 AM
These events do not draw the number of people in arkfalls/sieges but just draw enough to screw up things.
Just let those people do this job (restarting units), if it is hard for you. Do not rush in the middle of fight and keep earning you exp. points (you need those if you are low EGO). Use this situations (high TL) to get tons of experience to progress faster, or you will stay low EGO forever. Think of high TL not as an issue but as an opportunity! More exp, more score, more rewards. And remember, that your presence boosts TL for other same way, so do your part as best as you can.

PS. For big groups of enemies I suggest get yourself a detonator with sticky grenades. Lay 4-6 grenades in one place from distance and detonate simultaneously - there will be no enemies to fight back. Enjoy!

Baines
10-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Um there are 3 settings. Normal = tl1, advanced = tl5, and expert tl10.
Advanced becomes unlocked when you are I believe ego 3k, and expert at ego 5k.

Ah, people only ever mentioned 5k/Expert and I never bothered going back to start a co-op after passing 3k. Half the the time, co-op is broken for at least one player. Sometimes two players. Even if the game ran fine through the co-op, you risked it breaking when you left. The last time, when the game was mostly playing alright for everyone, someone decided to go idle halfway through the map, right before a gate that required all four players to activate.

And lag and network issues for the last few days have approached the point of the game being unplayable in general anyway. (Haven't seen Volge Sieges reach the 8th wave because the server constantly stops updating. Even having three or four people being in a minor arkbreak risks crippling lag that makes the event run at least twice as long, because the game decides to repeatedly pause and give the enemies free shield recharges. Etc.)

Doesn't change that the runs available are still too easy. As was itself shown with co-ops being broken, where two functional people could finish a mission as easily as four, as long as the mission didn't have an arbitrary four-person gate. I'd certainly rather run them at a higher difficulty than the game allows (short of constantly begging off of a higher level friend.) I wouldn't mind being able to run them with smaller groups as well. Again, it isn't like they are difficult or anything, so you might as well be allowed to run them with two people or even solo. (Though I guess Trion fears that if co-op missions worked too well, too many people might spend their time running them instead of moving around the world map.)

Z0mb13
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Also nearby only shows people that are right next to you. The people that showed up may be at the other side of the event, so they won't show on radar or in the nearby list. However they are at the event so it raises the Tl.

Or some folks may be 20M away, in the bushes killing hellbug skitterlings or something at the edge of the event.

Atticus Batman
10-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Ah, people only ever mentioned 5k/Expert and I never bothered going back to start a co-op after passing 3k. Half the the time, co-op is broken for at least one player. Sometimes two players. Even if the game ran fine through the co-op, you risked it breaking when you left. The last time, when the game was mostly playing alright for everyone, someone decided to go idle halfway through the map, right before a gate that required all four players to activate.

And lag and network issues for the last few days have approached the point of the game being unplayable in general anyway. (Haven't seen Volge Sieges reach the 8th wave because the server constantly stops updating. Even having three or four people being in a minor arkbreak risks crippling lag that makes the event run at least twice as long, because the game decides to repeatedly pause and give the enemies free shield recharges. Etc.)

Doesn't change that the runs available are still too easy. As was itself shown with co-ops being broken, where two functional people could finish a mission as easily as four, as long as the mission didn't have an arbitrary four-person gate. I'd certainly rather run them at a higher difficulty than the game allows (short of constantly begging off of a higher level friend.) I wouldn't mind being able to run them with smaller groups as well. Again, it isn't like they are difficult or anything, so you might as well be allowed to run them with two people or even solo. (Though I guess Trion fears that if co-op missions worked too well, too many people might spend their time running them instead of moving around the world map.)

That is because most don't do advanced since there are no pursuits or contracts tied to them, and lots of people only do coops for the pursuit rewards, or contracts.

Btw if the guy who chose not to go near the circle is NOT the party leader, then have the party leader kick him. He will still be in the coop, but since he isn't in the group, you can ready up without him there, and he will get pulled in with you.

Arglemesh
10-04-2014, 04:35 AM
A nice clear explanation of how Threat Level is calculated and what it means can be found on DefianceData.com
http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=205

When you get an ego boost to match the current threat level, your gear is boosted by the same number as your ego was. That can make a big difference if your gear lags much behind your current ego rating.

LOL! Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I mainly wanted to know what weird perverted math Trion used to calculate threat levels in events. That was my main reason for starting this thread, the apparently screwy jumps from 4 to 5 to 10.