PDA

View Full Version : In-game Moderators

Altras
10-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Just a thought, has Trion considered doing voluntary moderators for in game servers? Food for thought, I think it would help relieve some support stress if they followed rules similar too:

Weekly report
Once a week the moderators would have a report of bugs, glitches or other game related issues to a specified community team or developer member.

Ingame support
It would be a moderators privilege to help all questions in zone/private chat. Mods would have a "Moderator" title so players know they can go to them for support.

Communication
I understand everyone's busy at Trion and your all spread pretty thin. Having moderators would open more communication between Trion and their community, and likely ease a lot of concerns.

Support Stress
While the support team is trying their best, Trion is hiring in the Austin, Texas area. Clearly they could use a hand. The in game support would likely negate a good percentage of tickets. Also, if there's a common problem, moderators would put that in their weekly report and the devs can get a better idea of things that need immediate fixing.

All of this would be voluntary, there would be no compensation unless Trion feels the need to compensate you. Starting moderators would be on a "trial" period where their logs and activity are monitored for Trion to make a decision whether to mod your or not.

Thoughts? Please keep it constructive! We all love the game and as Defiance loyalists, we should try to help them rather than bark and bite :)

crazyged
10-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I could do that - I virtually live in this game :)

GrizBe
10-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Most games who used to do this stopped doing it, simply because the mods would abuse their powers to get people etc. they didn't like banned from the game.

Altras
10-04-2014, 11:36 AM
I could do that - I virtually live in this game :)
As do I, and a few other players I know who'd be great for the position

Most games who used to do this stopped doing it, simply because the mods would abuse their powers to get people etc. they didn't like banned from the game.

I can understand this, but the mods wouldn't have any power in-game when it comes to things like that. This idea is strictly for helping with in-game reports and support in-game for more simply things like, why my dlc is missing, or why is there a que on my screen, etc.

crazyged
10-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Y'know, you may have something here.

There are a lot of new players who are a bit lost, judging by the amount of questions I see in Zone.

It would give a few dedicated vets a chance to feel worthwhile again, too! :D

Fuzzy
10-04-2014, 12:11 PM
There's a similar system in another MMO I am playing. They're called mentors there and have a green apple next to their name in the chat.
This system seems flawed overall since:
- I've seen mentors in said game who acted like the biggest idiots on eart. This reflects back on the company and also reflects bad on every other mentor (or in-game moderator) there is. Have a bad experience on time, people won't forget.
- Everybody who would want to could answer questions in zone chat, clan chat etc. There is no need for people who always "have" to do that.

Additonally:
- The forums are already a great way to communicate bugs and glitches. They get read and a lot of stuff gets fixed or implemented due to player feedback.

All of which you suggested wouldn't need a "moderator" title. Everybody who would like to do that, could do it already.
Reportings bugs, glitches, stuff which needs immediate fixing... Either PM a community member or make a thread on the forums and send them the link.
I always get answers to my PMs from the community team. Of course they're a bit busy now with the launch of ArcheAge and the Aftermath patch coming up but once that's done, they will have more time again (hopefully).

crazyged
10-04-2014, 12:18 PM
There's a similar system in another MMO I am playing. They're called mentors there and have a green apple next to their name in the chat.
- I've seen mentors in said game who acted like the biggest idiots on eart. This reflects back on the company and also reflects bad on every other mentor (or in-game moderator) there is. Have a bad experience on time, people won't forget.
- Everybody who would want to could answer questions in zone chat, clan chat etc. There is no need for people who always "have" to do that.

Additonally:
- The forums are already a great way to communicate bugs and glitches. They get read and a lot of stuff gets fixed or implemented due to player feedback.

All of which you suggested wouldn't need a "moderator" title. Everybody who would like to do that, could do it already.
Reportings bugs, glitches, stuff which needs immediate fixing... Either PM a community member or make a thread on the forums and send them the link.
I always get answers to my PMs from the community team. Of course they're a bit busy now with the launch of ArcheAge and the Aftermath patch coming up but once that's done, they will have more time again (hopefully).

Maybe Mentors could be voted in - actions speaking louder than words. If they have a reputation for being helpful normally, people would be happy to have them as mentors...

..or something like that...

Brindled
10-04-2014, 01:08 PM
I like the idea. It would give, seemingly, a bit more structure and support to the game overall. As long as those selected were well-mannered, helpful, and willing to make reports it seems like it would only help the game. I am sure there are ways it might have drawbacks, but as long as the person's behavior was subject to scrutiny like everyone else's I don't see how they could abuse it. They wouldn't really need any desgination in-game, imo, a sleeper agent so to speak. That way they'd be less likely to feel any power/status over any other player, as it was.

JadedSinn
10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
i played a few games where thy had players of the game as staff. the players got there own modarater account with serten privligis. and along with it thy where able to get each month of working for the company a set ammount of in game cash for there accounts to use as thy saw fit.

witch is not to bad a deal.

trion could set something like that up with some of the players on the game that are more trust worthy such as well a few of us hard core super fans that have been here from start and are still here (( me me pick me oh please pick me id love to do the job realy i would )) and i know it would open up a biger means of comunication betwen staff and players

it would also alow the player base to stop harping on the devs and give them someone else to attack with there questions and needs and wants. :) witch can be therapudic in a way as the devsw could work harder on the game and the new player moderaters could take care of the light stuff like bug reports and questions and such.

richardkrainium
10-04-2014, 01:35 PM

that ones already been done by thier own employees

Pitbull3
10-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Terrible idea. Any player is biased, no way around that.

JadedSinn
10-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Terrible idea. Any player is biased, no way around that.

some times you need someone that is biased to run things inorder to truly crack down on problums that are in the game.

but anyway with each person haveing there own view on what is wrong or right nad following the simple COC that is layed down for them there is a higher chance of this working then it not. a single had full of people picked from the gamers them selfs by the staff on the preset that the people show good sound judgment of there own and are also avid players nad willing to put in the hours each week and do the paper work that comes along with it in a few weeks this game could have less problums becuse people that got picked from the player base would have a minor say in changes to come into game and could also inform devs and higher ups of the issues that are persisdent that the normel staff over look or refuse to see.

over all it adds another cog into the system to bridge the gap between players and trion staff. and alows the staff to hear out questions and demands and issues more forword then thy are now. where helf are ignored. or over looked becuse thy dont read them or by pass them all together. this would also open up the game to haveing people that know allready whats wrong with the game nad alowing them to also pass that on to the main staff insted of our words falling short when no staff is on on the weekends

ironcladtrash
10-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Just a thought, has Trion considered doing voluntary moderators for in game servers? Food for thought, I think it would help relieve some support stress if they followed rules similar too:

Weekly report
Once a week the moderators would have a report of bugs, glitches or other game related issues to a specified community team or developer member.

Ingame support
It would be a moderators privilege to help all questions in zone/private chat. Mods would have a "Moderator" title so players know they can go to them for support.

Communication
I understand everyone's busy at Trion and your all spread pretty thin. Having moderators would open more communication between Trion and their community, and likely ease a lot of concerns.

Support Stress
While the support team is trying their best, Trion is hiring in the Austin, Texas area. Clearly they could use a hand. The in game support would likely negate a good percentage of tickets. Also, if there's a common problem, moderators would put that in their weekly report and the devs can get a better idea of things that need immediate fixing.

All of this would be voluntary, there would be no compensation unless Trion feels the need to compensate you. Starting moderators would be on a "trial" period where their logs and activity are monitored for Trion to make a decision whether to mod your or not.

Thoughts? Please keep it constructive! We all love the game and as Defiance loyalists, we should try to help them rather than bark and bite :)

For the most part that's what anyone left in game and on the forums is doing anyway without a special moderator title. It's a small enough population left that players can recognize names from anyone who knows what they are talking about and are helpful. People left here always post the latest bugs or issues.