PDA

View Full Version : One world or three?

kagdar2006
08-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Since the MMO is multi platform is it going to be one world or will each system have its own?
If it is one world how will everyone communicate?
Jw if anyone knows.

Kalbuir
08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I can answer that for you, you can also confirm it yourself by watching the 1 hour long comic con panel (must watch anyway :P). with over a year to go this could still be subjected to change but I personally would not get my hopes up.

While SONY with their PS3 is quite willing to merge platforms (at least so they say in articles), Microsoft does not want their xbox360 live users to cross platforms with PC or PS3, my guess this is more an issue of not wanting SONY and XBOX players on the same game world. The reason MS mentions is that they want to be able to grantee their players experience and they think they can't achieve that when you mix in other platforms. (Can't find the exact quote so I am paraphrasing)

Defiance Developers have said that they have no problem (technically) to merge all worlds but have indicated that above mentioned vendors stand in the way of achieving that. Additionally in the ComicCon panel it was also mentioned that controller vs mouse keyboard could pose a real problem for an online shooter such as Defiance without a serious solution.

So not counting major policy changes on MS side and some super smart solution to fix controller vs mouse keyboard. Defiance will have different worlds for each platform.

Paspinall
08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Which is interesting seeing as previous people looking at cross platform have said how there are some major technical hurdles. And personally having seen how long Sony can drag its heels with applying updates at the like i am not sure i would want to share a platform with the PS3 from my PC but guess we shall see.

Steelheart
08-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Thx for the reply Kalbuir and glad to hear this as well :)

kagdar2006
08-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info Kalbuir :)

Harmil
08-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I was wondering about this as well, but in my case, the Comic Con panel is what GOT ME wondering, and it most certainly didn't answer the majority of questions.

Here's a few:

1. Will there by PC servers and XBox servers or will they be the same server which exclude cross-platform grouping?

2. Are guilds cross-platform?

3. Is there going to be a mobile app like the one for Rift? How will that play with the strictures on cross-platform?

4. Is the the economy (e.g. auction house or equivalent) cross-platform?

5. Will characters created on one platform be available on the others?

6. If the above answer is "no", will they be transferable?

7. Will character metadata (e.g. achievements; sorry, my programmerness is showing...) span platforms?

I'm also generally wondering about the platform thing. It seems like new gaming platforms are cropping up all over the place. OnLive is on Google TV, now, which is probably just Google's toe in the water; tablets are turning into a really slick gaming platform; browsers are a whole world unto themselves; and so on... are there plans for expanding the number of platforms, even if they're not specific to a target, yet?

Matt Treck
08-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I was wondering about this as well, but in my case, the Comic Con panel is what GOT ME wondering, and it most certainly didn't answer the majority of questions.

Here's a few:

1. Will there by PC servers and XBox servers or will they be the same server which exclude cross-platform grouping?

2. Are guilds cross-platform?

3. Is there going to be a mobile app like the one for Rift? How will that play with the strictures on cross-platform?

4. Is the the economy (e.g. auction house or equivalent) cross-platform?

5. Will characters created on one platform be available on the others?

6. If the above answer is "no", will they be transferable?

7. Will character metadata (e.g. achievements; sorry, my programmerness is showing...) span platforms?

I'm also generally wondering about the platform thing. It seems like new gaming platforms are cropping up all over the place. OnLive is on Google TV, now, which is probably just Google's toe in the water; tablets are turning into a really slick gaming platform; browsers are a whole world unto themselves; and so on... are there plans for expanding the number of platforms, even if they're not specific to a target, yet?

As stated above they answered your first question which in turn answers most of your questions. There will not be cross-platform play. Due to business reasons, not technical limitations.

And because of the fact that there will not be cross-platform play, I highly doubt that anything else would span across the three platforms.

Jenbuu
08-06-2012, 01:10 AM
I had the same thought about having characters being transferable but it brings up alot of gaming issues.

1.economics - different prices for different things would be a decent way to make credits
2.griefing - logging off one platform, moving in another and then logging into the original platform

other then that like matt said as they stated it wont be cross platform then it answers your other questions

Harmil
08-06-2012, 07:52 AM
As stated above they answered your first question which in turn answers most of your questions. There will not be cross-platform play. Due to business reasons, not technical limitations.

And because of the fact that there will not be cross-platform play, I highly doubt that anything else would span across the three platforms.

I don't think you've thought this through.

Yes, there will be no "cross platform play", but what does that mean? Does that mean that I can't hear you in whatever "general chat" equivalent there is? Does it mean I can't buy your items in the "auction house" equivalent? Does it mean that I can't compete with you for "achievements"? Does it mean that there's one "world first kill" or three for each raid boss (if there are raids)? Does it mean I can't send you in-game mail? Does it mean I can't send my Xbox alts a bind-to-account item from my PC toon? Does it mean my PS3 account will have a different forum avatar?

The implications of each of these questions are deep for the developers, and each decision could really go either way.

I think we've settled the question of "will I be able to group with cross-platform people" at Comic Con ("no"). I think we can extrapolate the answer for real-time, non-combat, 3D interaction like hanging around town together ("no"). I think it's unlikely, in that scenario, that there would be real-time chat shared.

Beyond that, though, there are dozens of modes of interaction that are possible...

Harmil
08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
1.economics - different prices for different things would be a decent way to make credits

This is only a problem for an established economy. If the economy starts this way, then it just serves to unify the multiple, disparate economies.

2.griefing - logging off one platform, moving in another and then logging into the original platform

Not sure how multi-platform interaction on any level increases griefing any more than having multiple toons (or even accounts) does.

Jenbuu
08-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Yes, there will be no "cross platform play", but what does that mean? Does that mean that I can't hear you in whatever "general chat" equivalent there is? Does it mean I can't buy your items in the "auction house" equivalent? Does it mean that I can't compete with you for "achievements"? Does it mean that there's one "world first kill" or three for each raid boss (if there are raids)? Does it mean I can't send you in-game mail? Does it mean I can't send my Xbox alts a bind-to-account item from my PC toon? Does it mean my PS3 account will have a different forum avatar?

cross platform tends to mean that players on different platforms occupy the same space on a server, this has been stated as not happening in regards to pc, xbox and ps3 playing together because of the business relationship between Microsoft and Sony.

with that statement it is more then likely that any interaction between pc, xbox and ps3 be it chatting, trading, mailing will not be happening.

this can possibly all change we dont know but its more then likely not from what they have said.

and as for my statements.
i was speaking on the premise that players from a Xbox server could transfer the character to a PC server where there would be an established economy and could exploit it.

and my griefing statement ill explain a bit more,

If say you were in a pvp zone and you wanted to kill someone, you would disconnect, move to the location where they are, reconnect to that server and sneak behind them. This has become common in games like Dayz where everyone can transfer the characters between different servers

Escyos
08-06-2012, 10:53 AM
You would only have one trion account which we assumed you could use on any of the platforms and you would more than likely get to keep everything you have. Denying people this would be a great way to lose customers.

Matt Treck
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
You would only have one trion account which we assumed you could use on any of the platforms and you would more than likely get to keep everything you have. Denying people this would be a great way to lose customers.

That could actually be an interesting way to go about it.

But wouldn't really affect me, I really only plan on playing the PC version. However anyone that wants to try out multiple versions of the game, this could be really nice.

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 07:13 PM
MS + Sony, WHY U NO PLAY NICE?

not that it really concerns me anyways - and as they've said, there are other issues to deal with (like the inherent precision of a pc setup vs the others) even if it could have been truly cross-platform

Saren
08-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Well of course MS doesn't want to merge them. PS3 is free play and MS requires them to pay monthly/quarterly/yearly. If MS did that, xbox live people may begin to realize.. hey, we don't have to actually pay for the service. That's why I pretty much only buy PS3 versions these days. It isn't like MS hasn't done it before, though. FFXI.

My thoughts anyways heheh

Saren
08-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't think you've thought this through.

The implications of each of these questions are deep for the developers, and each decision could really go either way.

I think we've settled the question of "will I be able to group with cross-platform people" at Comic Con ("no"). I think we can extrapolate the answer for real-time, non-combat, 3D interaction like hanging around town together ("no"). I think it's unlikely, in that scenario, that there would be real-time chat shared.

Beyond that, though, there are dozens of modes of interaction that are possible...

I think it goes even further than that.

If there are 3 worlds, which one is the TV show going to follow. IE which is the real one I have to buy and which are the two others I avoid since they are just imitations and have no impact on the TV show.

What if the xbox takes something (an event?). what if the PS3 loses the same something and what if the PC version it never even happened. How are they going to lock 3 different worlds together when the 3 versions can have 3 different outcomes and tie into 1 tv show. If there was just one world, it would be easy... but 3 worlds all independent of each other? I'd like to know how this is going to actually work.

Mirimon
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
its not relationship issue, fact is, the xbox is hard linked to work only with xboxlive networking, furthermore, lets say trion want to give people something like.. oh, a free costume or pet, or a weapons upgrade, or anything like that, well, microsoft will not allow this autonomy, it will mandate a set price for each bit of content, and demand its share.

Sony on the other hand makes no such demands of the titles on it's console, the pubs are free to chose sony server or their own for this.. also worth mentioning, the 9x 3.2ghz procs of the cell, able to process 18tflops, the solid nvidia gfx proc with agia physyx, oh, and unlimited HDD space as welll as clean and free ability to serf the internet all it wants to and post on forums using mouse and keyboard like other pc user (even print or edit photos and such with no driver installation required) The only restricting issue for ps3 is simply the coding to work with their OS. other than that its the one system with full on 3d ability and uncompressed audo, literally delivering the best possible sound and picture while also being the most capable and remaining so with its potential.

anybody recall Final Fantasy 11? the game that was cross platform? an old MMO, that at the time had great graphics compared to others out there. It was PC primarily, and was playable via controller or mouse/keyboard on the PS2. Xbox was not able to play it, period, and only a couple years after 360 released was it able to port the game..

PC~PS3>Xbox.. it's just a simple fact of numbers

as it stand the ps3 is the only console than can perform with this game and be on the same servers. there is no way both Sony, and Trion (who I believe both have a great relationship with NVidia) would go out of their way to play this from an MS server, let alone for an ATI/AMD based system. Much would have to happen for this, and I don't think it would be much of anything good.

Fireswraith
08-17-2012, 04:48 PM
As Sony is willing to play ball but Microsoft isn't, you'll probably have 2 worlds; 1 for MS and 1 for PC+Sony.

Mirimon
08-18-2012, 12:03 AM
sony is more than just willing, it's the more capable

Escyos
08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
As Sony is willing to play ball but Microsoft isn't, you'll probably have 2 worlds; 1 for MS and 1 for PC+Sony.

No we've been told that there will be three servers, one for each platform. Simply because it would be unfair for any of them to work with another if the third one could not.

Mirimon
08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
the issue doesnt just end there.. comprimising on integrating team work because one console simply can't is a big issue, more so, as a developer is making the game and reaches the bar that the slower console cannot go above (xbox) the others will also be stopped in the development tracks. I have not seen, not once, a developer publishing cross platform continue to develop more than it really has to, and then there is the whole "they get this, why can't we" issue. Just stop making crap for bad consoles and this will either force them to make something that actually is good for a change or the customers will finally spend their money on something far more reliable.

Matt Treck
08-19-2012, 02:31 AM
the issue doesnt just end there.. comprimising on integrating team work because one console simply can't is a big issue, more so, as a developer is making the game and reaches the bar that the slower console cannot go above (xbox) the others will also be stopped in the development tracks. I have not seen, not once, a developer publishing cross platform continue to develop more than it really has to, and then there is the whole "they get this, why can't we" issue. Just stop making crap for bad consoles and this will either force them to make something that actually is good for a change or the customers will finally spend their money on something far more reliable.

Literally, you say the same thing in every post. Just worded differently.

First off, I'm a PC gamer. But I still play console games from time to time. And yes, the 360 and the PS3 are less powerful than the PC. Why? Because they use outdated hardware. Is this a bad thing? Yes, for a few different reasons. Including the fact that it limits how some, listen, some, games will perform on the PC. Whether they are less graphically intensive than they could be, or whatever.

However that being said, there are also good things about consoles. You can spend way less money on them (for obvious reasons), and still be able to play the games that you can play on a three thousand dollar PC. (Not saying that all good gaming rigs are that much, but some can be.) Another thing is that this exposes the game much more, and allows for more customers. Why? Because face it, consoles tend to get more publicity than current gaming PC's. Every person I know has an Xbox or a PS3 sitting in their house, but not all of those people have gaming PC's that can handle newer games, or older games for that matter.

To sum all of this up, every drawback of having a game on the consoles as well as the PC can be worked around, yes, it costs money to push out updates on the Xbox due to them having to re-verify the game, which is total crap IMO. However we're talking about Trion and SyFy, they have no shortage of cash. And the issues created by only releasing the game on the PC are that primarily of less people playing the game. This game will get more publicity than a lot because it is being released with a TV Show that will have a heck of a lot of publicity. More people will be able to play, it's a better decision for the community.

TL;DR
Current gen consoles are old, but not thinking of them as a reliable form of gaming is dumb.

Mindfix
08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Literally, you say the same thing in every post. Just worded differently.

First off, I'm a PC gamer. But I still play console games from time to time. And yes, the 360 and the PS3 are less powerful than the PC. Why? Because they use outdated hardware. Is this a bad thing? Yes, for a few different reasons. Including the fact that it limits how some, listen, some, games will perform on the PC. Whether they are less graphically intensive than they could be, or whatever.

However that being said, there are also good things about consoles. You can spend way less money on them (for obvious reasons), and still be able to play the games that you can play on a three thousand dollar PC. (Not saying that all good gaming rigs are that much, but some can be.) Another thing is that this exposes the game much more, and allows for more customers. Why? Because face it, consoles tend to get more publicity than current gaming PC's. Every person I know has an Xbox or a PS3 sitting in their house, but not all of those people have gaming PC's that can handle newer games, or older games for that matter.

To sum all of this up, every drawback of having a game on the consoles as well as the PC can be worked around, yes, it costs money to push out updates on the Xbox due to them having to re-verify the game, which is total crap IMO. However we're talking about Trion and SyFy, they have no shortage of cash. And the issues created by only releasing the game on the PC are that primarily of less people playing the game. This game will get more publicity than a lot because it is being released with a TV Show that will have a heck of a lot of publicity. More people will be able to play, it's a better decision for the community.

TL;DR
Current gen consoles are old, but not thinking of them as a reliable form of gaming is dumb.

^^^^Good post, agree.^^^^

Mirimon
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I agree as well.. though... the only limiting factor pf ps3 hardware is RAM, and gpu if your comparing it against something hardcore like my dual 690's in quad sli.. BUT, the cell processor alone can literally handle all of that.. at 18tflops you still can't even build a pc off the shelf with that much power. the issue for ps3 really is getting around the OS, even if you write just to throw raw data at it rather than writing for multiple cores (something in the computer world we have seen very little of)

<tried the 3770k but it was slower than my 3960x, air cooled at 4.8ghz, 32 gigs ram@ 2400mhz, dual gtx 690's in quad sli, antec skeleton "case" (that's why i only air cool, but it gets great flow through)> Can't wait to see the IVY version of the 3960x's..

Saren
09-11-2012, 04:36 AM
If there are 3 worlds, which one is the TV show going to follow. IE which is the real one I have to buy and which are the two others I avoid since they are just imitations and have no impact on the TV show.

What if the xbox takes something (an event?). what if the PS3 loses the same something and what if the PC version it never even happened. How are they going to lock 3 different worlds together when the 3 versions can have 3 different outcomes and tie into 1 tv show. If there was just one world, it would be easy... but 3 worlds all independent of each other? I'd like to know how this is going to actually work.

So, I will ask this again. How exactly will this work and which version is the TV show going to be based off of?

That will probably determine which one I buy since I own all 3.

Kalbuir
09-11-2012, 06:04 AM
To be honest I think we all need to stop seeing it as 3 different games/platforms, yes we don't get to play on the same servers but not because it's not technically possible or because the server software needs to be entirely different. So if we put 1 + 1 together the conclusion of that would be:

Playing on XBOX or PS3 is the same as playing on a different server / world for PC players.

There is one small catch to this and that is that for some feature implementations when the executable for PS3 and XBOX are changed they need to go through company "validation" at MS and Sony again. This is mainly done to make sure that the user experience of their customers is not compromised (guessing this mostly has to do with privacy). But this is nothing to get worked up over as for both consoles I wouldn't expect this to be days if I see the rate updates are rolled out in other games.

Additionally keep in mind you can plan for these feature releases as you know when they need to go through this process again meaning players will most likely not even notice. I mean you could prepare the patch, make sure it goes through this validation process and then patch all 3 platforms.

Ceridius
09-17-2012, 04:35 AM
So, I will ask this again. How exactly will this work and which version is the TV show going to be based off of?

That will probably determine which one I buy since I own all 3.

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. They're all the same world and game, just different shards. Different servers, as kalbuir said. So in short: the TV show will be based on all of them, because it's the exact same game...

I understand where the question is coming from, but at the same time I'm just really confused at how you'd even ask it in the first place.