PDA

View Full Version : Looking for your preferences on Barrel mods

Br3ach
10-06-2014, 06:53 AM
So, I've been playing 6-7 weeks and enjoy Defiance a lot. The game will be awesome if they iron out the lag & server issues. Anyway, I've figured out most of what I need to know, but wanted your input about barrels. I read a post here containing the information about what each type does- but I'm wondering what experienced players go for, and what you like.

I have (most always) chose the barrel to increase base damage on whatever weapon- SMG, ARs, pistol, shotgun, or sniper. Are there times that you prefer either a Crit barrel or fall off damage instead? Your thoughts & logic behind the decision is appreciated.

Thanks!

Festival
10-06-2014, 07:42 AM
I generally go for the Damage barrel, too...but there are exceptions. My Wolfhound has the best Crit barrel I could find for it (total crit bonus for it is 6.8x) because the whole point of that weapon is hammering enemy crit spots. My Castithan Springer SMG has a Falloff barrel because it's often the primary weapon in its loadouts (paired with something short-ranged like the aforementioned Wolfie or a detonator) and greater effective range makes it a lot more useful. Other than that, it's most always Damage.

crazyged
10-06-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a falloff barrel on my Needler, which sacrifices a bit of damage, but gives it good range. The fire rate makes up for the lesser damage.

I have a Tachmag with a power bore for closer quarters.

Like Festival, I go for crit barrels on pistols.

Lubber
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
I get it simple: any mod should get you maximum advantage. No need to put crit mod on weapon with crit mult 1.5, cause it give you less than 10% damage boost and only for crit shots. Same no need to put falloff damage on SAW, cause it is not precise enough to shoot at long distances.
If you have high crit gun (pistol, sniper rifle or other precise enough gun to land crits (e.g. AR with crit rolls)) with crit mult over 2 at least - go for crit barrel.
If you have awesome short range gun, that you wish to be more versatile, than go for falloff.
For every other case - damage is the best.

AllGamer
10-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Personally i find Critical mods are the most effective for almost every weapon.

However for Detonators / Missile Launchers, I use Blast Radius, it is great for farming scripts and drops ;)