PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of clans?

Grief Counselor
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
What is the purpose if there is no clan on clan warfare? I have seen nothing of the sort and if there is no clan battles why even bother? What kind of mmo is this? So far it is nothing but a TPS single player game. Fun no less but nothing that will last as far as what the mmo crowd wants.

Grief Counselor
04-03-2013, 07:24 PM
seriously.

Keverettusps
04-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Because first they are working on fixing the game before they add options which would have more issues.

Mugsy
04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Because first they are working on fixing the game before they add options which would have more issues.

They should have postpone release from all the fixes that need to be done in my opinion. Honestly i'm regretting buying this game more and more.

I feel that given this game a month and it will be dead, nothing about it feels like an mmo worth the time, if it can even be call that to begin with.

Tashardel
04-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I personally use clans for more then "Clan v. Clan" I see it as a means of easy communication among friends and a means to organize group events; groups etc.

I'm pretty content with how everything is and will happily embrace new content as it becomes available.

LadyChaos
04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
TBH the age of the game MUST be end game quality on launch, is not the same era we live in. It costs so much to put out an MMO and you should expect an MMO to have several updates and expect if not demand new content within a month or 2 of launch because of this.

A P2B, no subscription MMO makes its money off the initial buy and it's future DLC... the subscription MMO is passing, the ones that are still clinging should get every dime they can... it's near over. This means an MMO will not make what it cost ot make it in the first year etc... you get what you pay for. a P2B MMO is expected to offer content to entertain and entrall and continue to put out regular upgrades and DLC, not be a 6 month ed game content worthy MMO on launch.

Defiance has promised at least 5 DLC... translate that into xpacs within the "season" which most of us take to mean the year.

subscription MMO launches we expect end game raiding within the month of launch by harcore guilds, and 1 Xpac a year at 50-60$ and a 50-60$ launch price + 20$ month sub fee.... so in 1 year you pay = 240 (sub fees) + 60( launch/Xpac) = 300$ a year.... moderately

We have paid 50ish$ forever... another 40$ if you want the 5 DLC for the year where as normal sub MMO offer 1-3 a year at 20-60$ a piece. With promised content to compliment a show that airs weekly and for at least 2 seasons and beyond...

It helps to stop judging the game by subscriptions standards.. this model is near dead just as soon as RIFT and SWTOR got to FTP it's done. SWTOR was the last sub game to be made. It was announced at the time it would be the last of the sub games because this model is no longer viable.

We must adapt and learn the new system.

Skar
04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
There is no way I am going to be playing subscription based games anymore. There is too much temptation on the developers to add meaningless grinds and time restrictions (like daily quests or 24 hour cooldowns etc) to artificially prolong the life of a game.

I would rather buy a DLC that has 10 hours of awesome gameplay than a month long subscription that requires an hour a day grinding the same content for 30 days.

MrLee95
04-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I actually have been judging Defiance like Guild Wars 2, another B2P game.

And when you compare those two games it's apples 'n oranges. This does not feel like an MMO what so ever. And it feels very unfinished compared to GW2.

I will still put time and $$ into Defiance and hope that Trion can do something great with it, but I am now also questioning myself if I should have waited to buy it.

Sinafey
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
They should have postpone release from all the fixes that need to be done in my opinion. Honestly i'm regretting buying this game more and more.

I feel that given this game a month and it will be dead, nothing about it feels like an mmo worth the time, if it can even be call that to begin with.

Postponing launch? I don't think that was an option for TRION considering they had to or wanted the game to be released before the tv-series. And with that in mind just give it some more time and let them work out the bugs and flaws, they are quite plenty but it has not even been released for more than two days. I would bet some incoming fixes pretty soon.

Uncle Coord
04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
We have already seen several day 1 patches to fix, not only bugs but also balance issues.

Give them a couple more weeks, IE when the tv show comes out and lets see what they have to offer...

LadyChaos
04-03-2013, 10:28 PM

And when you compare those two games it's apples 'n oranges. This does not feel like an MMO what so ever. And it feels very unfinished compared to GW2.

I will still put time and $$ into Defiance and hope that Trion can do something great with it, but I am now also questioning myself if I should have waited to buy it.

GW allready had a major following and had a lot of backing financially because of it. It also lacked that "end game-content many sub users, are acostomed to. The end game there was server control of your 3 faction warfare which kills almost all PvE as leveling in PVP was not only just as easy if not faster than PvE....

GW2 is also the FIRST of the major games to come out with the openly B2P games of new gaming era... TM ? hehe
All B2p MMO will be compares to both GW2 the first modern B2p and SWTOR the last sub game... not to mention the big hitters.. WoW, Eq2 etc etc...

Sinafey
04-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I would rather buy a DLC that has 10 hours of awesome gameplay than a month long subscription that requires an hour a day grinding the same content for 30 days.

This. I spent my money on defiance because I wanted to give it a chance. And I knew that there was a big chance of me playing for a few weeks and then put it on the shelf. I still have hopes for this game because I actually enjoy it.

I just wish they could address the chat issues and VoIP problems ASAP, turn off voice turns off chat but not VoIP? Wtf?
Off topic now, better quit.

GarfrostPAX
04-03-2013, 10:38 PM

Mind you, at Launch GW2 had serious issues with just about anything as well. Constant crashes, downtime and a lot of their servers and features just flatout not working. If you're going to compare games, compare their launch states and not a game that's been out and had the time to fix and polish things further. That simple makes no sense. And to me, GW2 feels about as MMO as this does. Aside from the general chat in GW2 there is zero communication involved for me as well, I mostly just wander around doing my thing answering random questions in the chat. But take that away and my experience barely changes, there is zero need for other players in that game. The game's also not built around being sociable. You can get everything on your own without ever talking to anyone else.

Anyway, a Clan in Defiance is not a 'clan' like you have on most shooters, where you jump into a match, and after that it's over and back into a menu. In Defiance, it's not just about having a nametag that is just there. A clan here is supposed to be about socializing with others (Which, at the present time doesn't work due to chat issues. Go figure), grouping up to do the co-op missions and getting a group together to have fun out in the world and whatnot. It's a gathering of friends to play with, an easy to access group of people to find your way around the game world with. Unlike say, in most of these match based shooters where it's just there for you to act tough with in matches against others.

TH3STEVE
04-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm coming from the Battlefield/COD world and I find this game to be very refreshing. It's not near the same level in graphics and I don't care. I was intrigued by the tv show/video game idea and have really enjoyed the game so far. I'm anxious to see what tie ins there are with the tv show and how (if at all) they affect each other. Some people are whining on here that they have finished everything. I keep wondering how that is possible since the tv show hasn't even launched yet. I find the concept exciting and hope the best is yet to come.

LadyChaos
04-03-2013, 10:42 PM
This. I spent my money on defiance because I wanted to give it a chance. And I knew that there was a big chance of me playing for a few weeks and then put it on the shelf. I still have hopes for this game because I actually enjoy it.

I just wish they could address the chat issues and VoIP problems ASAP, turn off voice turns off chat but not VoIP? Wtf?
Off topic now, better quit.

These might be the 2 largest PC feedback points from the bet at least along with the UI being very "console" oriented. I don't think this feedback is you alone. I would definitely suggest the in-game feedback btw not just forums. Devs get the in-game stuff more often than the forums.

Livewire
04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
The thing about this MMO is that it has the TV show backing it. I don't know if anyone has ever worked with the people in charge of TV show releases and big networks but if you go up to them and say "The game is buggy can we postpone the TV show for 3 months" they would rip your head off and still tell you no.

My point is they clearly had a deadline to get SOMETHING out by, even if it wasnt the fully polished game and I think they did a pretty good job. Alright you could say that it might be the downfall of the game but I personally blame TV networks and most people on the planet who dont have patience and expect everything now now now, rather than Trion.

ExcuseMyMandarin
04-03-2013, 11:03 PM

At the moment, the game could have had more content. But every one needs to be patient, there will be more content comming, and the best part is that you already have paid the one time fee for it. The bonus to start playing at launch is that you know the game before it gets to advanced. I love it at the moment, and can't wait for all the updates to come.

MrLee95
04-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Mind you, at Launch GW2 had serious issues with just about anything as well. Constant crashes, downtime and a lot of their servers and features just flatout not working. If you're going to compare games, compare their launch states and not a game that's been out and had the time to fix and polish things further. That simple makes no sense. And to me, GW2 feels about as MMO as this does. Aside from the general chat in GW2 there is zero communication involved for me as well, I mostly just wander around doing my thing answering random questions in the chat. But take that away and my experience barely changes, there is zero need for other players in that game. The game's also not built around being sociable. You can get everything on your own without ever talking to anyone else.

Anyway, a Clan in Defiance is not a 'clan' like you have on most shooters, where you jump into a match, and after that it's over and back into a menu. In Defiance, it's not just about having a nametag that is just there. A clan here is supposed to be about socializing with others (Which, at the present time doesn't work due to chat issues. Go figure), grouping up to do the co-op missions and getting a group together to have fun out in the world and whatnot. It's a gathering of friends to play with, an easy to access group of people to find your way around the game world with. Unlike say, in most of these match based shooters where it's just there for you to act tough with in matches against others.

I don't know what game you where playing but I had no problems with GW2's launch. I pretty much compare it to Rift for a good release.

And at least I had a chat window and met MANY new people in GW2 (I never played GW1 btw).

But yes, Defiance is new and I bought it because I was happy with what Trion did with Rift. I was hoping for the same with Defiance.....

KodiakX
04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Clearly the purpose of clans are to show off how clever you are with what you name it.

Grief Counselor
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Still no reason

Procha
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
TBH the age of the game MUST be end game quality on launch, is not the same era we live in. It costs so much to put out an MMO and you should expect an MMO to have several updates and expect if not demand new content within a month or 2 of launch because of this.

A P2B, no subscription MMO makes its money off the initial buy and it's future DLC... the subscription MMO is passing, the ones that are still clinging should get every dime they can... it's near over. This means an MMO will not make what it cost ot make it in the first year etc... you get what you pay for. a P2B MMO is expected to offer content to entertain and entrall and continue to put out regular upgrades and DLC, not be a 6 month ed game content worthy MMO on launch.

Defiance has promised at least 5 DLC... translate that into xpacs within the "season" which most of us take to mean the year.

subscription MMO launches we expect end game raiding within the month of launch by harcore guilds, and 1 Xpac a year at 50-60$ and a 50-60$ launch price + 20$ month sub fee.... so in 1 year you pay = 240 (sub fees) + 60( launch/Xpac) = 300$ a year.... moderately

We have paid 50ish$ forever... another 40$ if you want the 5 DLC for the year where as normal sub MMO offer 1-3 a year at 20-60$ a piece. With promised content to compliment a show that airs weekly and for at least 2 seasons and beyond...

It helps to stop judging the game by subscriptions standards.. this model is near dead just as soon as RIFT and SWTOR got to FTP it's done. SWTOR was the last sub game to be made. It was announced at the time it would be the last of the sub games because this model is no longer viable.

Very well said!

Unleaded
04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't know what game you where playing but I had no problems with GW2's launch. I pretty much compare it to Rift for a good release.

And at least I had a chat window and met MANY new people in GW2 (I never played GW1 btw).

But yes, Defiance is new and I bought it because I was happy with what Trion did with Rift. I was hoping for the same with Defiance.....

GW2 had quite a few launch issues, idk what game you were playing......

Guild creation and management was broken for like a week. Auction house system was down for what, 2 to 3 weeks? Joining the same instance of a zone as your friends in your group worked sometimes, and other times it didn't. I mean the core gameplay was good, and finished, that's not to say the game didn't have some major issues at launch.

To the original question, not much point to clans atm, since chat is barely functional. At least if the chat system was something from this past decade, we would be able to talk and communicate with friends in a centralized chat.

Procha
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Yea, its apparent that you never played GW1. I played the GW franchise since Mike O'Brian was lead dev from Blizz North. GW1 release was not as bad as WoW release, but at least 80% better than GW2 release. I played GW2 beta and man, it was alot better than release. In case you forgot the BlackLion market didnt work for a week, PvP was broken, and the Achievements were screwed up. Not to mention the "Hall of Monuments" items disappeared from inventory and many accounts were reset 7-15 times a week. I stopped playing it for 4 days to see if anything was fixed and yes, they did fix a majority of the problems, but there still exist.

Even during the Karka event, 98% of the event was laggy and 12 servers were randomly disconnected during the final boss event (which is why they gave out free karka boxes in mail.)

TL;DR
GW2 had many issues at release and still does. But like many other re;leases, I enjoyed the release of Defiance more to that of Diablo 3 :)

Remag Div
04-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Basically to coordinate group content easier.. missions, shadow wars, pvp, etc. while using Vent instead of the game's horrid voip. You can also instantly teleport to clan members in-game and they show up as blue dots on the radar so it's easier to coordinate squads and see where everyone is.

But... I swear I read that eventually they are going to introduce clan wars where two opposing clans can agree to wage war and then they are able to do open world pvp between the two.

Grief Counselor
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Basically to coordinate group content easier.. missions, shadow wars, pvp, etc. while using Vent instead of the game's horrid voip. You can also instantly teleport to clan members in-game and they show up as blue dots on the radar so it's easier to coordinate squads and see where everyone is.

But... I swear I read that eventually they are going to introduce clan wars where two opposing clans can agree to wage war and then they are able to do open world pvp between the two.
There has to be a clan on can and warfare or this game will be absolutely pointless for PvP players

13lackRain
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Thank you for having the sense to see how this works and the patience to take the time to explain it to those who want this to be WoW.

You rock!

Newsin
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Clans are useful for getting groups to do co-ops, Shadow Wars etc etc. Im sure in time there will be more use for them.

Someone earlier said they should have postponed the game....

They cant postpone the release due to the show coming out. Secondly it's not Trion who makes that decision. It's Syfy's decision. They give them a deadline. The deadline came and they had to release. The games bugs AREN'T that bad. Yes there are a few key elements that are borked. However, the Devs are pretty good about getting things fixed and fast.

Newsin
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you for having the sense to see how this works and the patience to take the time to explain it to those who want this to be WoW.

You rock!

I doubt Rift will go Free to play anytime soon

From what I have been seeing the future of MMO's will be Kickstarter, crowed funded games. What does that mean? It means no middle men. No activision, no Syfy, and no Lucas Arts. The game will be totally funded an ran by the game company itself and the decisions on release will be up to them.

I would expect a strong come back in Sandbox element games. Housing, Crafting and Player kept Economy will be the future of PC games and MMO's in general. $15 a month sub fees are a thing of the past in general. There will be a few of them for awhile longer.

Personally I miss games like SWG. The crafting in that game was flawless, Player Cities were amazing if you were a Mayor, Flight Simulator based combat, and all the weapons and armor worth having were crafted by players. Not to mention I believe they were the first MMO to have housing in which you could decorate the way they did it.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Edit: ack Quoted the wrong person my bad!

Shanks
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM

I rarely use the "the MMO wasn't ready for release" argument, but in this case, it could have used a little more time in the oven. Unfortunately, I think it's likely that Trion had to launch within Syfy's window of the TV show, which is why the "transmedia" thing could be both a blessing and a curse. They (Trion) has acknowledged a lot of what was wrong, it just seems they probably didn't have time to fix it, and I don't say that that's an excuse by any means.

One thing they need to fix asap is communication. I figure text is the easiest between the two so pumping some options there and then tweaking voice would be a great start. At the moment, Defiance is running on mostly solo gaming power because no community can form in the current atmosphere. If this issue isn't fixed soon, the community of the game will suffer because of it. It already has to a large degree. This is by far the most silent MMO I have ever played.

Grief Counselor
04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
i have many clan mates that want to come play but are on the fence because lack of clan on clan battles. wish i could get an answer if this is coming.