PDA

View Full Version : Community Q&A: October 17th

CM Kiwibird
10-17-2014, 03:02 PM
It's Friday folks! It's an especially spooky one, too. It's also time for more awesome Q&A with the Defiance team!

http://i.imgur.com/7ORvACq.gif

Any plans on Show/Game cross overs again, like season one. in the future?

Like we did with both season 1 and season 2, we will continue crossovers with the television show.
Now that the weapon reload times have been adjusted any chance or removing or reducing the cool down times for ego reload bonuses?

The changes to reload are primarily to resolve the 0-reload loophole and move individual reload weapons (e.g. pump shotguns) to a more consistent system so they aren’t penalized by adding extra magazine size. We aren’t planning on these changes having any major gameplay effect on other weapons. The changes to the ego reload bonuses were done with that in mind, so we don’t have any plans to change them.
Any chance to get Nolan and/or Irisa to make special guest appearances (as in live playable characters) in San Fran?

Nolan appeared this last season, and there is a chance that he and other characters will appear next season as well.
Any plans to make swords more than just decoration ie. synergies and mods?

Good lord, yes. We have a soft spot for our melee weapons as well as for the BMG and Infector. However, we can only address so many features at a time.
Before items got processed into resource in your overflow area, you could make new characters with all of the incentive weapons (i.e., buy the game from Amazon, you get the Plague Bringer [I think that was the name]). Post that update, you don't receive them. Is this intentional or is it a bug?

That was not intentional.
I have seen this asked a few times on the forum's about having a Warmaster spawn somewhere in the game world. it seem's like a great idea to have to make players take a break from farming arkfalls all day. Do you think players will be able to see this in the future any time soon?

While we do intend to use the Warmaster and other bosses in the open world, that feature is not currently the priority.
Will there be FOV adjustments available in the future for Defiance?

We're looking at a few visual settings updates, and some FOV adjustment seems reasonable.
Can you please adjust the TL scaling so two veterans can play together again without an insane amount of top level enemies?

We're currently discussing updates to how the threat level system calculates threat rating, but we have nothing concrete to discuss at this time.
Will there be a bonus week or some sort of event planned when Xbox Gets F2P? Because we've been waiting 3 months for this with no explanation from anyone about why it was delayed. (We’ve explained why it was delayed before I believe, but we can reiterate here.)

We will be activating bonuses across all platforms to welcome our new players, and we plan to continue to add new bonuses. For example, the Aftermath patch coming shortly adds a new bonus event – Arkforge!
Is there any plans to update backpack synergies? Players feel they aren’t useful.

We are not updating old loadout synergies, but we do have more loadout and mod synergies in development. 7th Legion is a potent synergy, as are many of the Corporate Espionage synergies.
Congrats on the season renewal! Can we expect episode missions before the show's new season?

Definitely!
Many clans have risen and fallen, can we expect more clan related content in the game?

The next big Clan update will have to do with private matches and mass invites. We're creating a system for both inviting all your clan members at once and for creating a private version of any instance you enter.
Will private instances/matchmaking ever be a thing?

Definitely, see the above! However, they currently are only slated for cooperative content.
I am curious if there will be a patch to address how the world events are occurring?

We are okay with the pacing of world events at this point as we are seeing larger groups of players at each event. But we will continue to watch this and make changes as necessary.
Could we get a situation report on the lag?

One of the challenges when we discuss lag is making sure players understand what bugs fall under the category of “lag” and which don’t. This is important, because if we say we made a fix to reduce lag and players expect it to fix a bug that has nothing to do with lag, it can be confusing. They report its not fixed, which causes confusion on our end too!

So: Lag is a result of the game client having a high latency in its connection with the Defiance servers. A high latency means packets (information) sent to (or from) the client to the server take longer than “normal” to deliver. The result of this is the lag players see – some events (but not all) lag behind when you would expect them to happen. Common indicators of this are enemies, NPCs and other players “snapping” to new locations, taking longer than normal to switch weapons, or summon a vehicle. Basically, any interaction where the client needs to ask the server to do something or the server tells the client to do some would result in lag. However since most players don’t (nor should they need to) know what is and isn't communicated between the client and the server, its easier to look at it this way - when you experience lag the game will be running at the proper frame rate (30 fps, 60 fps, etc) but you will see these certain events taking too long. This happening is a good indicator of lag.

Lag has nothing to do with the game crashing (hard freezes, etc). Lag has nothing to do with gameplay bugs (ie an event gets stuck). Disconnects could be because of lag, but they would be precipitated by 30+ seconds lag. Lag has nothing to do with the entire game slowing down (perhaps you have a low end video card, and graphics settings to high, causing your frame rate to drop to 5FPS).

With that out of the way, we made a significant “lag” fix on October 9th for PC and PS3 and to some extent (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?172888-Latency-Update-and-Feedback-Request&p=1626096&viewfull=1#post1626096), on the Xbox 360. On Oct 14, Xbox got the remainder of those fixes.

We have access to a lot of data on what Defiance players do, and one of the reports that tell us how much of a problem lag is. For instance, we track the average latency for all players. The average latency dropped (which in this case is good) significantly after the Oct 9 fixes. This was echoed by many players (see the posts in that thread).

We know we have not fixed all cases of lag, but we feel we have addressed the major issues players have been reporting as of late. We are now moving on to the more specific cases.

Will we be able to obtain legendary tier mods "Tier 5" for other synergies besides paradise territory and chimera?

For sure! Although, not for many of the synergies you are familiar with.
Will you ever bring back the Wandering Hulker?! I miss him!

We will, but the plans to improve wandering boss encounters to prevent trolling and griefing (a particularly large problem with hulker) have been put on hold while other features are tuned and developed. When those improvements are in, our hope is to bring back the hulker and add a few more wandering bosses.

Smiit
10-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Cool Thanks Kiwi!

SanCarioca
10-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Very nice Q&A, as always. This type of feedback and interaction between players and Trion is one of the main reasons I stay Defiant!

ProJH
10-17-2014, 04:54 PM
I didn't like this one. There were many good questions to answer like reward and score systems.

hiban
10-17-2014, 04:58 PM

We will, but the plans to improve wandering boss encounters to prevent trolling and griefing (a particularly large problem with hulker) have been put on hold while other features are tuned and developed. When those improvements are in, our hope is to bring back the hulker and add a few more wandering bosses.

[/LIST]

Today i encountered a wandering hulker. Unfortunately, i can't remember where did i see it. Maybe it was in Madera, or Marin.

badprocess
10-17-2014, 05:43 PM
You rock Kiwi, as always :)
I'll translate this q/a tomorow for french players :)

Brindled
10-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I am curious if there will be a patch to address how the world events are occurring?

We are okay with the pacing of world events at this point as we are seeing larger groups of players at each event. But we will continue to watch this and make changes as necessary.

I'll be honest this wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but in the recent description of Bonehead, "It is what it is."

Some explanation to my interest in this is the fact I have so many alts now, and I understand what it's like trying to level as a newly made character. My personal drive is to see a character level. In other games once I'm at max level, or near enough in my case, I lose interest and incentive to play. To rerun the content in a more efficient, effective way is how I tend to find replay value in games. I can appreciate that that is not particularly how new players perceive the content and the progression of the game. On the flipside, I see a perspective that the newbie cannot (which may hinder them unbeknownst by them), and that is what drives my question. However, this may be an intentional hurdle meant to drive the new player and not aid them. I'll accept it at face value. Thanks for the input, Trion.

Atticus Batman
10-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Today i encountered a wandering hulker. Unfortunately, i can't remember where did i see it. Maybe it was in Madera, or Marin.

The only place he still appears is south of Last Chance on the peninsula, but Devs said he was removed so that is currently a ghost event (as in we see it and can do it, but it is not considered still live and active by devs.).

http://www.defiancedata.com/emergency.php?id=69

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?160822-Wandering-Hulker

Scapes sure seemed surprised when it was mentioned that he still sometimes appears in one spot.

News to us! What's he doing?

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?164517-Wondering-Hulker-is-BACK!!!!&highlight=wandering+hulker

And yes that was my question. :)

Brindled
10-17-2014, 08:19 PM
I've seen the hulker, but he didn't have a health bar and seemed invincible.

superstorm
10-18-2014, 06:57 AM

We will, but the plans to improve wandering boss encounters to prevent trolling and griefing (a particularly large problem with hulker)

Actually, trolling was the best part of it. =)

DSW
10-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Actually, trolling was the best part of it. =)

what kind of trolling was performed with hulker? i always had solo fights with him.

Atticus Batman
10-18-2014, 03:27 PM
what kind of trolling was performed with hulker? i always had solo fights with him.

Some people would use the Hulker to raise their weapon skill. They'd get him almost dead then kite him too far away from his spawn point to get him pulled back and given full health, and continue. So if somebody came in and finished of the Hulker, person 1 would call them names and come on the forum telling everyone person B was a troll, just waiting to steal people's kills and prevent them from leveling up.

Personally, I think the player at fault, was person A. Afterall if people kill it (like they are supposed to) then all you have to do is find another Hulker to level with, or go level with the San Quinton Hulker, or just level weapon skills by actually using them regularly.

DSW
10-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Some people would use the Hulker to raise their weapon skill. They'd get him almost dead then kite him too far away from his spawn point to get him pulled back and given full health, and continue. So if somebody came in and finished of the Hulker, person 1 would call them names and come on the forum telling everyone person B was a troll, just waiting to steal people's kills and prevent them from leveling up.

Personally, I think the player at fault, was person A. Afterall if people kill it (like they are supposed to) then all you have to do is find another Hulker to level with, or go level with the San Quinton Hulker, or just level weapon skills by actually using them regularly.

meh. if it's the case, then it's one of the worst excuses for content removal. leveling anything but bmg/infector is blazing fast now with arkfalls and TL, and even for those two weapons you still have afflicted sieges with hordes of cannon fodder.

DEATHBRINGER210
10-18-2014, 08:59 PM
can someone tell me what 100% arkforge boost on 1 arkforge is?

DEATHBRINGER210
10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
how about removing blue and green guns from the rep venders when you hit a certain ego ? and a bump up in ego too, like thorn liro vendor got?

Atticus Batman
10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
can someone tell me what 100% arkforge boost on 1 arkforge is?

Really? Alright 100% of a number basically means just adding that number with itself. A hundred 100% of 1 is 1, so the answer would be that if you normally get 1 arkforge and activate the 100% af boost then you would now get 2. If you normally get 20 then with 100% af boost, you would get 40. I hope that helped.

DEATHBRINGER210
10-19-2014, 04:29 PM
dude wow we only get 1 forge with 100% arkforge boost that we have buy with bits ohh myy, you know i just posted that to get people to see this right?

Atticus Batman
10-19-2014, 04:42 PM
dude wow we only get 1 forge with 100% arkforge boost that we have buy with bits ohh myy, you know i just posted that to get people to see this right?

So either learn to earn more Arforge, or if you are fine with only getting 1 Af from an event then don't buy the boost because 100% would only increase your 1 af to 2, However it increases my 10AF earnings to 20 and my 25Af earnings to 50. 100% means it doubles your earnings so figure out how to earn more and you will also get a higher number with the bonus. Expert co-ops give a minimum of 10 AF when finished so with the boost active that would mean you'd get 20 AF minimum.

However if those events you get 1 Af from are finished in like 2 minutes then that adds up quickly. With the boost active that would mean 2 AF every 2 minutes, which is a nice turnover.

DEATHBRINGER210
10-19-2014, 06:00 PM
will this work with lock box forge i wonder or even buying forge from vender
we were getting more forge than that before the nerf without a boost ijs

Volkmann
10-21-2014, 10:45 AM
From a May 30th Q & A:

"Clan Homes or caves or bunkers... or something... a seperate instance or phase would be great."
"We have discussed many possibilities for clan and personal housing."

I thought that was such a neat idea. Did that idea die or is it still being discussed?

ZarloffCaster
10-21-2014, 11:07 AM
And Now for a question I haven't seen yet.

Can we track stats for competitive and shadow war?
How many kills, how many games, etc.?
Would be nice to be able to or if it is in the game now to know how to access it.

Thanks

Zarloff Caster

jyzal
11-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Will there be a map expansion?

Chump Norris
11-05-2014, 10:37 PM
There is a more recent Q&A with a question and response similar to yours here:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?176334-Defiance-Community-Q-amp-A-Halloween-Edition!

Question: Once SV is expanded, would there be a possibility to see it connect with other parts of the California area?

Answer: We’ve considered it, however we’re working on content other than another land expansion currently. When we expand Silicon Valley, we’ll re-evaluate what areas we’ll expand to in the future.