PDA

View Full Version : Shield plates

Malvijna
10-28-2014, 10:28 AM
I should think this has been asked, and answered already but since this is the first time I've used the forum I don't really want to scroll through pages and pages to find the previous posts on the topic.

Regarding shields, does each shield plate have it's own capacity or is the capacity the whole total for both/all shields?

Say you have a shield with 1000 capacity and it has 2 plates, do both plates have 1000 capacity each or do both total 1000? I need to know the answer to this to determine which shields are better for me, as I'm picking up 2000+ capacity with only 1 plate, and others have less capacity with 2 plates.. not sure which to equip :/.

Not been playing the game long so bit of a noob :rolleyes:

batsssa
10-28-2014, 10:35 AM
The plates grant damage mitigation, 10% for each plate so with the max amount of plates granted by an orange shield (3) you have 30% damage mitigation.

Malvijna
10-28-2014, 10:36 AM
ahh thankyou :-)

SirServed
10-28-2014, 12:16 PM
This is semi-related. While each armor plate grants damage mitigation, in addition they can only sustain a certain amount of damage before they break. I'd like to believe the durability of each armor plate has no relation to the actual capacity of your shield but I don't have the clearance to know the definitive answer to that. That would be an interesting read.

Dixie Cougar
10-28-2014, 06:14 PM
When choosing shields pay attention to recharge times too. There's a reason Resparks are so popular!

Atticus Batman
10-28-2014, 07:49 PM
The amount of plates is dependant on rarity. Ojs have 3. Whites 1. IIRC both green and blue have 2 plates. Also:

Each armor plate has an invisible "durability" value. All weapons deal durability damage in addition to their normal damage. Most weapons deal 10% of their damage to durability. Bio weapons deal 125% of their damage to durability. (Other damage types shooting an enemy who has a bio DoT on them deal 100% of their damage to durability.)
http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=232

Also remember that, you can get more ablative armor temporarily by using certain perks, stims, or spikes.

WhiteKnight019
10-29-2014, 03:23 AM
The plates grant damage mitigation, 10% for each plate so with the max amount of plates granted by an orange shield (3) you have 30% damage mitigation.

To go with this, there are certain perks that will grant plates based on certain criteria.

Juggernaught
On a melee kill, you gain ablative armor for 5 seconds.
1. 2 plates of ablative armor
2. 3 plates of ablative armor
3. 4 plates of ablative armor

or

Detachment
On a kill, you gain ablative armor for 3 seconds
1. 1 plate of ablative armor
2. 2 plates of ablative armor
3. 3 plates of ablative armor

Now, these can stack but I believe the max stackage with your shields plates is a maximum of 6. I've only ever stacked six with my Sword loadout. There other perks that can be used with this to add Regeneration or Ego recharge on kill that can make a sword loadout very powerful.... mostly in PVE against non-melee combatants (hellbugs suck while using a sword).

So hope this helps. Just look at it this way, once your shields go, your ablative armor is next. So you're armor will take that damage and then deplete before your health gets a hit. But unfortunately half the time, once your shields go, you don't see your armor take the hit because half the enemies hit hard enough to pretty much negate the ablative armor. I.E. Volge Viscera and Warmaster

crazyged
10-29-2014, 04:31 AM
half the enemies hit hard enough to pretty much negate the ablative armor. I.E. Volge Viscera and Warmaster

Being in the path of a few Hellbugs simultaneously doing the ground slam can blow right through your plates, your armor and your health - happened to me once or twice on Lost Soldiers expert.

Very annoying! :p

WanWhiteWolf
10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
The most you can get is 7 plates pf armor. You can achieve that with an OJ shield and an armor stim.

The damage mittigation is scalled for every plate. The first one will give you 10% reduction, the second a bit less, the third a bit less than the second .... And so on. I believe that with 3 plates you have 27% damage reduction.

7 armor does not equal 70% damage reduction. It's about 50- 55% from testings. Same as 10 armor does not equal 100% reduction. Otherwise bulwarks would be .... hard to get.

Snowclan
10-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Where do you get the information about the plates being scaled? I've seen nothing of the kind anywhere. As far as the developers have told us, each plate is a flat 10% damage reduction.

Yes, stuff with 10 plates tends to be tough. That's why the plates themselves have a limited durability and after having absorbed their limit will break away. Even in the unlikely event that nobody present has a gun with Bio nano or a Bio grenade, if you keep hammering on a 10 plate enemy eventually a plate will break, then more, as the target gets weaker.

SirServed
10-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Where do you get the information about the plates being scaled? I've seen nothing of the kind anywhere. As far as the developers have told us, each plate is a flat 10% damage reduction.

What he says. Scroll down to Number 6 (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?174945-Community-Q-amp-A-October-3rd).

Infiltrator
10-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Does anyone run with the Juggernaut perk? I had to stop using it, because it seems bugged and doesn't give me extra plates on melee kills any more. It never seems to give plates when my shield plates are out, but now it is not working at all at any time.

Snowclan
10-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Wolf was saying that the armor plates were scaled, so that only the first was 10%, and that they ended up being worth less and less as they stacked up. I asked where he got that idea, as that's not what I have seen said by any of the developers.

What they told us was that each plate was worth a flat 10% damage reduction, until that plate was destroyed. If you have a shield that gives you three plates, you have 30% base damage reduction. If you fight an enemy with 10 plates, that enemy has 100% damage reduction from the plates.

In addition, most NPCs have "armor" which provides them with a base amount of damage reduction over and above what they get from armor plates. The plates stack additively with the inherent armor NPCs have. You can see that NPCs have armor by looking at the numbers when you shoot at them. Even when their shields are down and all armor plates are stripped away, the damage numbers will almost always be less than the base damage listed for the weapon.