PDA

View Full Version : My honest opinion about the game. 13ish hours played.

ZombehSlaughter
04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
So, I'm a huge MMO fan. I've clocked countless hours in WoW, played The Old Republic for a couple months, and even got my feet wet with Everquest 2 and a few free to play MMOs. But when I heard about Defiance I instantly got excited, finally they were bringing my two favorite gaming genres together!! I preordered that day and kept up with the game until launch, which I went to pick up the game at midnight from my local GameStop.

Now, the following is what I think of the game. I played on PS3 so I can't speak for the other available platforms.

Launch- I thought the game's launch was amazing. At the midnight release the GameStop employee was giving us all a speech about how to just go home and not even expect the game to work yet, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and was able to log in and patch without a hitch. A magnificent launch, at least for my console of choice.

Character customization-I feel like the character customization is pretty lacking compared to most RPGs available, but is on par with a lot of MMOs. There are only two races to choose from which I thought was a little disappointing, but maybe they'll add more down the line. After picking a race and gender you're taken to a menu with a few "sliders" they're not really sliders but I can't think of a better word for them. Anyway, you can change stuff like your eyes, nose, mouth, hair, and give your character face paint and stuff but beyond that there's not much else.

Graphics- On the PS3, the games graphics are sub par, but it's understandable given the size of the game and the older hardware it has to work with. My only real complaint about the presentation is the framerate it can be choppy at times, which once again is understandable given the hardware.

Gameplay- Gameplay is where Defiance shines, the game plays beautifully and everything just feels right. Gun play is oh-so satisfying, especially sniping. Vehicles controls feel a bit wonky but they're passable.

Quests- Main story missions are pretty fun and the story is half decent and is interesting enough to keep you playing. I haven't finished the main story yet, but I have heard it's a bit short. Side missions are a mixed bag, early on they're ridiculously simple and literally only take about a minute or two to complete but as you progress they get a little bit longer and more varied but you still run into the really short or really simple ones.

Arkfalls/Other world events- The Arkfalls are easily the best part of Defiance, some are massive in scale and just feel epic. Especially when there's a ton of players coming in for that final boss battle. The minor ones are fun as well, but the only real reason to complete the minor ones is because they're easy and give you quite a few keycodes for the amount of effort you have to put in. As for other world events these are typically much smaller scale and can be easily solo'd. Most of these come down to clearing a small area of enemies or freeing captives or something of that nature. They're still fun, but not as great as the Arkfalls.

PvP- Can't say much about PvP as I've only played one match. It's mildly entertaining and seems like a good way to waste a few hours but can't say I'll be coming back often. I've yet to try the Shadow Wars, but I hear they're amazing.

Instances- Once again, can't say much about the instances. I've completed the first one that becomes available to you and thought it was pretty good. It was fairly easy but it was early game stuff so it makes sense. I'll probably end up doing all of them just to get a feel for them and to say that I've played them. Not entirely sure how much I'll return to them unless there's just something late game that keeps me hooked.

Ego Rating system- Your Ego Rating is basically your level in this game. Can't complain about it other than it can become a bit confusing, but it might just be me.

Skills/Classes- Skill-and-class-wise Defiance leaves a bit to be desired. In it's current state there's not much difference between the four starting classes other than their starting gun. The four main abilities are interesting but the only one I found to be useful is the Overload ability. The Perks/passive abilities are decent enough and do what passives should do so I don't think there's much to be tinkered with there.

So in conclusion, Defiance is an extremely fun third person shooter MMO. In it's current state it's definitely worth the money, but it's understandable why people are still on the fence especially with the question of how much content is available. Trion are definitely holding back a bit of the content so that it may be released along side the show, and we can expect new content with each episode so that'll really breathe more life into the game and will provide many more hours to the game. The game does need some ironing out especially with the amount of bugs still in the game, but overall I think it's a pretty good game especially for an MMO that just launched. I'm excited to see where the game will go and if it will succeed or not in the MMO market.

It has potential, let's just see if it lives up to it.

Myst
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
What the. The thing that stood out most out of all of this is the fact you had a midnight launch, damn lucky right there. Also I know they are going to add a third race via DLC but whether or not more customization options are coming is up in the air. I do hope they add more in terms of hair styles and put it up in vendor shops so we can change even though I kind of like my punkish irath hairstyle.

Overall I'd agree and there are some things that could be tuned up, changed, or even just altered for more fun down the line. First is the fact that sometimes you get stuck on a loading screen and have to restart ( encountered that quite a few times and playing on PS3 ). Another thing is generally just more random encounters happening throughout the world like more hulkers, maybe even some oversized bots or something; but I think it's one of those games that will prosper. Whether or not it will be slow or fast is yet to be determined.

ZombehSlaughter
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
What the. The thing that stood out most out of all of this is the fact you had a midnight launch, damn lucky right there. Also I know they are going to add a third race via DLC but whether or not more customization options are coming is up in the air. I do hope they add more in terms of hair styles and put it up in vendor shops so we can change even though I kind of like my punkish irath hairstyle.

Overall I'd agree and there are some things that could be tuned up, changed, or even just altered for more fun down the line. First is the fact that sometimes you get stuck on a loading screen and have to restart ( encountered that quite a few times and playing on PS3 ). Another thing is generally just more random encounters happening throughout the world like more hulkers, maybe even some oversized bots or something; but I think it's one of those games that will prosper. Whether or not it will be slow or fast is yet to be determined.

I agree, I'd love to have an Irath with an Afro :P
And I look forward to that third race DLC.

Hopefully they iron out the bugs in the coming weeks, the only major one I've run into was some mission objectives not working properly. Twice now I've had to abandon a mission then restart it just to get something to become interactive.