PDA

View Full Version : How to kill WM! Tips for killing the Warmaster of Major Arkfalls!

missmar
11-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Hey folks, I still see folks bringing up outdated tactics for WM fights

So your buddy ba'alaraphim here is putting together this draft of a surefire way to kill WM that random non-clan player groups can appreciate when they finally see a random pick-up group take down WM!

Veteran players, make corrections if you get the urge but no need to be judgmental of my attempt!

-----------------
----------------------------------
--------Coordinating before the fight--------

Outside the arkfall, try to gather as many patient players as you can before spikes go down.

More often than not, a random chat-ignoring player will start it anyway, so gather quickly.

Outside the arkfall, points don't matter. No rewards.

----------The perks, weapons... Equipment-------------

First tip about equipment: No volge weapons and no explosives. They're pseudo-damage in that they show big numbers but are really slow and therefore NOT big numbers compared to other guns.

But the main reason: the explosion graphics are too big on WM and volge has an opaque white that will disable you from seeing where your own shots land, and if more people use it you might well stare at a white screen!

Grab a full-auto weapon for the main portions of the fight, with radiation (or bio)nano.

Good auto weapons include the SAW (great range, high mag) and full auto SMGs (Pulser, Tachmag Pulser, Needler, ...fire rate 25 means 25 bullets per second of fire)

As long as the gun is radiation, you can choose your mods how you like them. A scope with movement accuracy, a recoil reduction stock, a reload mag, falloff or dmg barrel are some suggestions.

Protip: If you have a high crit weapon like a 3.2+ crit mult on Wolfhound pistol or Quick Repeater, you will help with great damage numbers if the room can break the back crystals! Stack those crit mults with mods and Damage spikes too!!

Perks. I'll add accessory equipment to each perk category

Grab overcharge. Below is an overcharge recharge guide also, but everyone should really have their power ego set to Overcharge for the beginning of the fight, and grabbing the thousands of extra points at the end with Power Kill.

You also definitely want everyone to use Sucker Punch (bottom left below cloak) because its is a bonus +15% damage to WM's backside where absolutely everyone should be shooting!! Everything else can be categorized for survival, or critical focus. Make any combination of these specific perks to make your best WM set.

If you prefer survival for less incapacitations and less point loss, use more of these (ranked by utility):
Blast Shield, In the Trenches, Fortified Stance, Failsafe (use low delay shield), Thick Skinned, and Cellular Armor. (Warning: Lightning resistance or Grounded doesn't help) Also grab a defensive stim: Heal stim, Ablative Armor stim, or Armor repair stim. Protection Spike will be much appreciated by teammates when gathered below his wall-hanging attack.

If you prefer Overcharge recharge, use more of these:
Quick Charge, Time-Out with Single-Minded and Overload (Pumped Up optional), Killing Machine, Bloodlust. Grab power stim and don't forget to Power Kill with your Overcharge, it grants too many points toward your reward to ignore.

For critical damage users, try: Gunslinger or Hunter's Stance with Hunker Down for some defense

Use Damage Spike as you see fit especially for critical, but Ammo Spike is extremely helpful in saving everyone a trip to the ammo boxes and back again.

Once you're inside in the first room above WM, pay attention to chat.

If they say don't shoot the Ark Viscera it's because they're getting more players to join.

Be patient, they know what they're doing!

Tip for groups/clans separated by instance phases: Find someone who's in the room you want by messaging each other; you can quickly leave the instance you're in by typing /leaveparty (even if you're not in a party, you will leave the instance.) Get group invited, or Go to Friend to join the phase-- Go to Friend will appear only if people haven't killed the Ark Viscera yet!

So everyone is gathered and invitations have slowed: the room is ready and can kill the Ark Viscera together and drop down to the next room but do not shoot the locks

Again, you're going to need to coordinate and cooperate, but in the case that random players try to go for the locks, group up at the back-side of the WM anyway and let the locks unlock themselves after the timer.

Unload as many bullets as you can at the WM's back!
-----------------------------
--------------------
----------------
----------
------

If you've followed all the above steps: You should see his back armor break rapidly, which makes the rest of the fight with critical damage go much quicker.

TL;DR Get a high number of people using SAW or SMGs with radiation nano, get Sucker Punch perk, Heal stim, and whatever spikes you want. EVERYONE SHOOT AT HIS BACK!

Oh and don't use BMG, especially Spanner Protector because it's just annoying and useless.

richardkrainium
11-08-2014, 06:02 PM
unfortunately the back theory does not work on 360 na

ya also forgot to mention NO crimefighters

HighTech
11-08-2014, 06:33 PM
You forgot to mention grab a perk or two that crit such as gunslinger, since when his armor falls you auto crit the spot that fell, did you mention to use crit synergy weapons? Full auto great but we need to crit when the shield breaks. I'd rather have someone with a a grenade launcher hitting with crits rather then someone with no crit damage on full auto. Also fire works when his armor falls, consider bio only has armor pen perks use fire when his armor falls, if you need to slow him at that point use your bio grenades. I kill the guy on the first floor, because WM isn't that serious to me to let him beat on peoples armor plates while we wait. Did you mention to bring protection perks as well? Consider dps if you cannot sustain the WM damage you wont have any dps while laying on the floor, I see whole rooms wiped with a handful of people alive due to this. People think WM dps, dps, dps... wrong you need to be balanced or he will crush you and you will lose your dps.

My formula so far and I do major dps is... Needler/bio/synergy Rolling thunder (Synergy= Larger clip and great hip accuracy, since you can't crit armor no need for crit at that point.) second weapon Hellfire AR, (keep in mind you will use one weapon at a time even if it uses the same ammo it is viable it crits and heals me, at that point I will have lost armor plates and need to self heal.) Perks that I have found useful so far... (Fortified stance = (for sustain from damage when I stop to shoot +9% less damage.), gunslinger = (When WM Armor drops crits count 12%), fail safe (Shileds drop, 15% less damage while i avoid WM attacks or if the armor is down I use my AR's life steal.), sucker punch= (15% damage to back), cellular armor = (6% less damage from WM) , virulent = (+15 bio armor pen), corrosion = (+30% damage to armor), conflagration = (+15% damage to tagets hp), single minded = (Faster reload by 30% while standing still = more dps)

People can tell others the basics to kill WM, but until you share formulas it is in a shaded area that needs to be more vivid.

PiccolaRivolta
11-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Like we didn't have a major WM guide already, right?

HighTech
11-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Like we didn't have a major WM guide already, right?

The guides are incomplete they leave out perks, synergy and almost every why and why not.

SCAVENGER1
11-08-2014, 08:05 PM
i use typhoons and with the load out for bio i use typhoon-x w/bio so i can remove plates with ease. beside for me : 1 bullet = 1 armor plate.. and with WM i can hit him anywhere and i will remove his plates and still be able to hurt him afterwards. i have been in a lot of good wm fights that won. but as stated before you need all player to be on the same page. other wise it is a fail and we all have seen it many a times.

when 1 or 2 player that wont read/understand basic english/ what ever they will make it very hard if not impossible to kill wm. beside another thing is to state the how/what/to before the spikes are put down. i know it maybe a few but maybe they can pass it along to other that They invite, well we hope it would work out that way.

but for me i have a load out for each nano so i can switch with ease depending on what i need to be.

HighTech
11-08-2014, 08:06 PM
i use typhoons and with the load out for bio i use typhoon-x w/bio so i can remove plates with ease. beside for me : 1 bullet = 1 armor plate.. and with WM i can hit him anywhere and i will remove his plates and still be able to hurt him afterwards. i have been in a lot of good wm fights that won. but as stated before you need all player to be on the same page. other wise it is a fail and we all have seen it many a times.

when 1 or 2 player that wont read/understand basic english/ what ever they will make it very hard if not impossible to kill wm. beside another thing is to state the how/what/to before the spikes are put down. i know it maybe a few but maybe they can pass it along to other that They invite, well we hope it would work out that way.

but for me i have a load out for each nano so i can switch with ease depending on what i need to be.

Does WM focus Crime Fighter like most NPC's? If so someone could kite him with ease while others take out the back.

missmar
11-08-2014, 08:39 PM
I did post ideal perk set-ups if you skim further

Logain
11-08-2014, 09:15 PM
The guides are incomplete they leave out perks, synergy and almost every why and why not.

I think one guide is pretty good at explaining things (http://www.bit.ly/SimpleWM). Let me know if it can be better.

I use two loadouts to maximize damage for each stage of the Warmaster fight. Each loadout I use an Ironclad Regen shield (highest cap shield I have).

The first loadout I have perks that focus doing damage to the armor, keeping myself alive, and helping out the team. The second loadout I focus on perks to enhance crit and a little bit to keeping myself alive.

Loadout #1 (before his shield breaks)
Weapons:
1. Legendary Bio Cannoneer Hog Leg with 3x DMG rolls, 2x Reload rolls, 2 Cannoneer mods, T5 Damage Barrel and a T5 Magazine. I use this weapon to quickly strip the Warmaster of his Armor Plates every single time he regenerates them.
2. Epic (soon Legendary) Blackened Hellfire Tachmag Pulser balanced gun with damage reload and fire rate rolls and 4 T3 Purge mods. (Looking for T4 Purge Mods). The idea is to incinerate the Warmaster causing more damage to be dealt to it by you and the rest of the team while simultaneously gaining life with Lifesteal on the gun.

Perks:
Overcharge (for more damage)
Quick Charge (decrease time for overcharge to recharge)
Killing Machine (increase overcharge duration)
Thick Skinned (to help keep me alive)
Pumped Up (to recharge my EGO power more quickly)
Sucker Punch (I try and shoot from behind at target regardless of arm or back)
Blast Shield (to survive bombs)
Fortitude (more life)
Corrosion (to take off Armor Plates quicker)
Conflagration (to do more damage from fire attacks)

Spike: Ammo Spike (my two Tachmag variants chew up ammo and it seems to help the overall group in the first stage so that they can keep DPS up. Will switch to Damage spike if I know ahead of time lots of people using Ammo spikes.)
Stim: Power Stim (to recharge Overcharge quickly)
Grenade: Shrill grenade to induce a radiation effect and to increase damage dealt to the WM by the group.

Loadout #2 (after shield breaks)
Weapons:
1. Same Hog Leg from above to remove armor plates quickly (will change this to the Blackened Hellfire Tachmag above in competent groups and then switch to a bio grenade to remove armor plates).
2. Legendary Fire Assassin Wolfhound with 3x crit mult roll with 2x assassin mods, T5 Crit Barrel, and a T5 magazine. The idea is to hit the crit spot as quickly as I can and to incinerate the WM to increase the damage dealt by the group.

Perks:
Gunslinger (shoot Wolfhound from the hip to get both crit bonus from gun and perk)
Kill or be Killed (more crit mult when shield is down)
Fortitude (so I can live with shield down to do more crit hits)

Spike: Damage Spike (to increase overall damage by the group to keep DPS up and because I might have used a lot of ammo spikes during first state. Will switch to Ammo spike if I know ahead of time lots of people using damage spikes.)
Stim: Power Stim (to recharge Overcharge quickly) or Ablative Armor Stim (to keep myself alive if not using the Blackened Hellfire Tachmag).
Grenade: Shrill grenade to induce a radiation effect and to increase damage dealt to the WM by the group. (Will switch to Bio grenade if I am using to fire weapons. See above note.)

Then by knowing the fight and where to shoot from and how to avoid the WM's attacks I manage to keep myself alive. I usually do pretty well considering my age, the age of my non-gaming laptop and my non-city internet connection. Been awhile since I have done a Warmaster fight. Even longer in an organized kill group. Feel free to invite me if you see me online and if you are on PC-NA,

arekesh
11-08-2014, 09:16 PM

SirServed
11-09-2014, 01:37 AM
si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses
Meanie poo!

SCAVENGER1
11-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Does WM focus Crime Fighter like most NPC's? If so someone could kite him with ease while others take out the back.
i dont use cf even though i do have 4 of them 2 oj and 2 purples. but you may have to ask player that solely uses them for that answer.

also i to use 2 loadout for doing major/wm 1 is for outside dealing with the raider then when the volge come out i switch

hiban
11-09-2014, 11:13 AM
When the crystal armor is broken (second phase of the WM), the best nano to use is Fire, because it will grant a +50% damage bonus on the warmaster.

And given that at this point all your shots will do critical damage to the warmaster, having +Crit rolls on your weapon will grant you more damage than having +DMG rolls. (as opposed to the first phase, in which damage rolls are preferred)

This are the available damage and crit rolls:

white: N/A --- N/A
green: x1.15 crit --- N/A
blue: x1.25 crit --- x1.05 dmg
purple: N/A --- N/A
orange: N/A --- x1.10 dmg
mastery: x1.10 crit --- x1.05 dmg

I've marked in red the best rolls for maximum damage on the second phase.

The Assassin synergy is also the preferred one for this second phase, as it adds more critical damage. That's why people are willing to pay so much for a potential "Triple-Crit" Assassin Fire Wolfhound.

For normal use in the game world, triple-dmg weapons are more wanted than triple-crit because you don't always hit the crit spot on normal enemies, so people prefer to have a little less critical damage, but a bigger overall damage.

SirServed
11-09-2014, 11:21 AM
15% crit mult from the hip > 10% crit mult. That is all.

hiban
11-09-2014, 11:28 AM
15% crit mult from the hip > 10% crit mult. That is all.

If you use a Tachmag (or tachmag variant) for the second phase, yes. But for other weapons you need to aim, or you risk missing a percentage of the shots.

SirServed
11-09-2014, 12:06 PM
The only time I aim my Wildcat during that fight is when we break his armor behind the no-go glass. I'm sorry you feel that way.

hiban
11-09-2014, 12:39 PM
i don't feel any particular way, so no need to be sorry.

Infinity Eagle
11-09-2014, 01:17 PM
This was on PTS, but it is the same as live other than you can get it solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwPVLva3gc

HighTech
11-09-2014, 01:27 PM
I did post ideal perk set-ups if you skim further

Got it, sorry yeah I did miss that.

Tex_Arcana
11-09-2014, 07:07 PM
I think one guide is pretty good at explaining things (http://www.bit.ly/SimpleWM). Let me know if it can be better.

I use two loadouts to maximize damage for each stage of the Warmaster fight. Each loadout I use an Ironclad Regen shield (highest cap shield I have).

The first loadout I have perks that focus doing damage to the armor, keeping myself alive, and helping out the team. The second loadout I focus on perks to enhance crit and a little bit to keeping myself alive.

Loadout #1 (before his shield breaks)
Weapons:
1. Legendary Bio Cannoneer Hog Leg with 3x DMG rolls, 2x Reload rolls, 2 Cannoneer mods, T5 Damage Barrel and a T5 Magazine. I use this weapon to quickly strip the Warmaster of his Armor Plates every single time he regenerates them.
2. Epic (soon Legendary) Blackened Hellfire Tachmag Pulser balanced gun with damage reload and fire rate rolls and 4 T3 Purge mods. (Looking for T4 Purge Mods). The idea is to incinerate the Warmaster causing more damage to be dealt to it by you and the rest of the team while simultaneously gaining life with Lifesteal on the gun.

Perks:
Pumped Up (to recharge my EGO power more quickly)
Fortitude (more life)
Corrosion (to take off Armor Plates quicker)

Spike: Ammo Spike (my two Tachmag variants chew up ammo and it seems to help the overall group in the first stage so that they can keep DPS up. Will switch to Damage spike if I know ahead of time lots of people using Ammo spikes.)
Stim: Power Stim (to recharge Overcharge quickly)
Grenade: Shrill grenade to induce a radiation effect and to increase damage dealt to the WM by the group.

Loadout #2 (after shield breaks)
Weapons:
1. Same Hog Leg from above to remove armor plates quickly (will change this to the Blackened Hellfire Tachmag above in competent groups and then switch to a bio grenade to remove armor plates).
2. Legendary Fire Assassin Wolfhound with 3x crit mult roll with 2x assassin mods, T5 Crit Barrel, and a T5 magazine. The idea is to hit the crit spot as quickly as I can and to incinerate the WM to increase the damage dealt by the group.

Perks:
Gunslinger (shoot Wolfhound from the hip to get both crit bonus from gun and perk)
Kill or be Killed (more crit mult when shield is down)
Fortitude (so I can live with shield down to do more crit hits)

Spike: Damage Spike (to increase overall damage by the group to keep DPS up and because I might have used a lot of ammo spikes during first state. Will switch to Ammo spike if I know ahead of time lots of people using damage spikes.)
Stim: Power Stim (to recharge Overcharge quickly) or Ablative Armor Stim (to keep myself alive if not using the Blackened Hellfire Tachmag).
Grenade: Shrill grenade to induce a radiation effect and to increase damage dealt to the WM by the group. (Will switch to Bio grenade if I am using to fire weapons. See above note.)

Then by knowing the fight and where to shoot from and how to avoid the WM's attacks I manage to keep myself alive. I usually do pretty well considering my age, the age of my non-gaming laptop and my non-city internet connection. Been awhile since I have done a Warmaster fight. Even longer in an organized kill group. Feel free to invite me if you see me online and if you are on PC-NA,
This.
I have Logain's guide bookmarked.

Archonsg
11-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that the back isn't a viable target on the Xbox. Why is that?

One of the reasons why the back is chosen is that it has a far lager targeting aspect, almost 180 with unobstructed targeting solution from either left or right arc, while the arms are often blocked, hidden or made a harder to target due to the WM's movement.

The arms itself also has 2 different armor segments so the need to arrange everyone to hit a smaller, moving and often blocked target makes the back the preferred target to shoot at.

HighTech
11-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that the back isn't a viable target on the Xbox. Why is that?

One of the reasons why the back is chosen is that it has a far lager targeting aspect, almost 180 with unobstructed targeting solution from either left or right arc, while the arms are often blocked, hidden or made a harder to target due to the WM's movement.

The arms itself also has 2 different armor segments so the need to arrange everyone to hit a smaller, moving and often blocked target makes the back the preferred target to shoot at.

May I add sucker punch to that equation? One of the best damage perks.

CaptainObvious
11-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Back is the only viable spot, for a few second before he wakes up your team can shoot and remove more than half of his shell.

crazyged
11-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Back is the only viable spot, for a few second before he wakes up your team can shoot and remove more than half of his shell.

Yup, one of our clan timed it and we stripped his crystals in just over 40 seconds - fairly sure we've done it quicker than that.

stefb42
11-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Every platform started out by targeting the right arm and had a pretty high success rate doing so, targeting the right arm while the wm is hanging will eventually cause him to fall off the wall and lie on the floor for a bit helpless with his crit spot easy to hit, and huge dmg can be dealt when it happens, so given that this happens the right arm seemed like the place you were supposed to attack

The guys on pceu later figured out that the back was also a viable target and coordinated themselves to attack the back with a high success rate, as word spread other platforms agreed on the back target and also found it easier

Problem with xbox na was they could never convince enough players to target the back, most still targeted the arm, they'd argue on here which was best target, they'd argue in the wm chamber which was best target, and there just weren't enough players targeting the back to win, so instead of arm targeters changing to the back for success, back targeters had to switch back to the arm to have a chance

All the reasoning and logic in the world wont change most of their views, for every argument to target back there's a viable reason for doing the arm, ie sucker punch also works on the arm from the right position, and you don't need to chase the arm as much as the back, you can hit it if he faces you and when he turns his back on you, the wm moves faster than you do so kill or be killed will work when he chases you around

Point is there is no correct crystal to target as such, the crystal that needs targeting is the same crystal everyone else is shooting, be it back, right arm or even the left arm

Lubber
11-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Currently the only tactics to kill WarMonkey is ZERG.
Anything other almost doesn't matter. You have not enough people - you fail. And if you use effort to organize people in such a group they usually know what to do.
What the point to talk about tactics if you would be the only one in random group of 10 players who would act right? Pff... Just wait for the end (it ends rather quickly) and get your random crap rewards.