PDA

View Full Version : No more Defiance for me ............. My PC Died....

Chocolatelover67
12-02-2014, 03:27 AM
First my system specs which have been unchanged for a long while.

Cooler Master HAF XB Case with 3 fans
Antec Earthwatts 500D Green power supply 3 years old.
Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard
Windows 7 pro 64 bit
AMD FX 4300 quad core CPU 3.8 ghz
Ram 8 gig DD3 1600
GTX 550 ti OC Edition 1 gig onboard ram
2 terrabyte WD Digital Green drive
Realtek HD Audio

I did have an issue where the mouse kept freezing at random but that was fixed, but the main issue is that just before the BIOS screen appears the PC would just hold there and not go into boot mode.

On the motherboard the debug LED says "00" for the debug code... I have looked that up but there are many suggestions for why that code is displayed...

Sometimes turning the PC off and then back on fixes this and everything works as it should but just in the last hour I had everything turned off to go watch TV and when I came back it just wouldn't start...... it was still hung at the pre BIOS stage...

So any suggestions are welcome. I have a brand new power supply ready to install as well but am wondering if the original one can be saved or if it's something else..

ITPalg
12-02-2014, 03:32 AM
If there is no POST beep at all then you have a mb problem probably.

You could try reseating the RAM and/or CPU if you know what to do.

While in there, clean it out, preferably with an anti-static computer vacuum cleaner especially when in dry areas.

Kuroro
12-02-2014, 03:33 AM
too bad,i understand you,well not at all but i had problems with a program to use ps3 joystick on pc.a day i clicked by mistake the option "install all" on the menu of the program,it was to install drivers,and since then i have to delete drivers everytime i conect a mouse on the pc because it does not work so.when a mouse is installed,automatically it install bluetoothdrivers on the mouse,and everytime that windows update,it reinstall the drivers ont he mouse and **** it again...i did not solved it,i felt like a **** for a whole week and all because of a stupid missclick.it is not even my pc...so,i deleted the drivers installed and stoped the auto update from windows.technicians does not know how to fix it so they would install another windows.all you can do,if you dont get a good solution,is try to dont think about it

crazyged
12-02-2014, 05:24 AM
If you're lucky, it's just a ram problem - easily fixed.

If you're unlucky, like I was with my last PC, my motherboard gave in...

The symptoms do sound very familiar :(

Chocolatelover67
12-02-2014, 05:31 AM
If you're lucky, it's just a ram problem - easily fixed.

If you're unlucky, like I was with my last PC, my motherboard gave in...

The symptoms do sound very familiar :(

SH!T............. Not happy

The board is only just over a year old too figures..... Just out of warranty.

Bought it from a retailer called PC Case Gear....... Haven't had good experiences with them for warranty stuff.....

Xaat Xuun
12-02-2014, 05:53 AM
did you check the battery ?

had that happen to me once, all I had to do was get a new battery, on my other computer, I took the memory out to use in another one, to test . . when I place the memory back .. they were dead, I didn't place then back in the other comp to see if it was the memory it self, or bother with a Memtest, possibly I might had just broke my MB . . so Frankenstein the one I'm using now to have a working comp

Zoomer12
12-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Remove ram and put in one at a time and turn on, repeat with all the sticks.

If that doesnt work, remove the video card, and reseat it.

Make sure all the fans are working and what not too when you turn it on.

I had a similar issue and the video card needed reseating. It comes back to haunt me now and then but yeh.

squidgod2000
12-02-2014, 06:27 AM
did you check the battery ?

had that happen to me once, all I had to do was get a new battery, on my other computer, I took the memory out to use in another one, to test . . when I place the memory back .. they were dead, I didn't place then back in the other comp to see if it was the memory it self, or bother with a Memtest, possibly I might had just broke my MB . . so Frankenstein the one I'm using now to have a working comp

Your PC runs on batteries?

ITPalg
12-02-2014, 07:12 AM

Just another mystery of the computer age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

Bigbearbear
12-02-2014, 07:49 AM
RTFM (Read The Fine Manual). See what it says.
No manual? Go to AsRock's web site and look up the error code. Can't find it? Ask ASRock tech support.

Egonieser
12-02-2014, 08:52 AM

He meant the BIOS battery in the motherboard smartypants :P

And yes, it's a common solution. Remove the battery for 5 minutes to let the bios reset or clear CMOS if u know how. Maybe try a new battery id you had it for years and see if it helps. It often does.

Xaat Xuun
12-02-2014, 12:29 PM
He meant the BIOS battery in the motherboard smartypants :P

And yes, it's a common solution. Remove the battery for 5 minutes to let the bios reset or clear CMOS if u know how. Maybe try a new battery id you had it for years and see if it helps. It often does.

My bad for not mentioning the BIOS battery when I said Battery, guess it's just bread and water for half a day for me now

Chocolatelover67
12-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Remove ram and put in one at a time and turn on, repeat with all the sticks.

If that doesnt work, remove the video card, and reseat it.

Make sure all the fans are working and what not too when you turn it on.

I had a similar issue and the video card needed reseating. It comes back to haunt me now and then but yeh.

YES!

First thing I did check as on this board there are small white clips that you slide to lock the card in the PCIE slot.. I broke the clip off by accident when I first installed the board so I always worry about the card not sitting right.

RAM did pass memtest with no hiccups.

OK here is where this is odd the board works with the new power supply but not the old. I have a spare ASUS brand board that works with both power supplies...... I'm at a total loss to explain any of this.

Chocolatelover67
12-02-2014, 04:40 PM
RTFM (Read The Fine Manual). See what it says.
No manual? Go to AsRock's web site and look up the error code. Can't find it? Ask ASRock tech support.

Manual says error code "00" not used

Bigbearbear
12-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Manual says error code "00" not used

Then call ASRock tech support and ask them. It will be a better choice than asking random people on the internet.

Chocolatelover67
12-02-2014, 10:41 PM
It's working now with the new power supply. Odd.... Wouldn't work with the old one.

Yet the spare board works with both.

unheardof
12-02-2014, 11:53 PM
could be the old power supply has gotten weak and not supplying enough amps to correctly run the mother board

unheardof
12-03-2014, 12:05 AM
also I forgot to tell you if it is weak I would highly recommend to stop using it asap power supplys can cause a voltage spike when they do finally go and if that happens when ur booting the machine up or when its on under a heavey load it can wipe out a lot of other components on ur pc if you have a multimeter u can check to see if the voltage is verying on the 24 pin connect or any of the perifaly connectors that is a for sure sign it is getting weak

WanWhiteWolf
12-03-2014, 12:59 AM
First my system specs which have been unchanged for a long while.

Cooler Master HAF XB Case with 3 fans
Antec Earthwatts 500D Green power supply 3 years old.
Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard
Windows 7 pro 64 bit
AMD FX 4300 quad core CPU 3.8 ghz
Ram 8 gig DD3 1600
GTX 550 ti OC Edition 1 gig onboard ram
2 terrabyte WD Digital Green drive
Realtek HD Audio

I did have an issue where the mouse kept freezing at random but that was fixed, but the main issue is that just before the BIOS screen appears the PC would just hold there and not go into boot mode.

On the motherboard the debug LED says "00" for the debug code... I have looked that up but there are many suggestions for why that code is displayed...

Sometimes turning the PC off and then back on fixes this and everything works as it should but just in the last hour I had everything turned off to go watch TV and when I came back it just wouldn't start...... it was still hung at the pre BIOS stage...

So any suggestions are welcome. I have a brand new power supply ready to install as well but am wondering if the original one can be saved or if it's something else..

Well... It's an AMD, so it kinda makes sense :D

Leaving jokes aside, here is what I would do:
- keep motherboard + CPU + RAM + VIdeocard connected. Unplug everything else (hard disks, cd-roms ...etc)
- if booting does not happen, use 1 RAM DIM only. Swap the RAM and see of you get a different result
- if you stil don't see a booting screen, them you have 4 candidates left:
1. Video card
2. CPU
3. Motherboard
4. Power suplly

- the video card you can swap with an old one / use one from a friend OR put your video card to another PC ( there is no easy way to test it alone; requires tools and electronics experience)
- same for PSU
- of you reached this point it's either the CPU or motherboard. The only thing you can do is to clean up you motherboard / CPU , reaply thermo paste on your CPU and see if something changes. I fixed more than 50% of the "broken motherboards" by a simple cleanup. Dust / dirt is really an issue.

AMDs get quite hot and without proper cooling / cleaning / mentainance they have a higher risk to crack. ASrock, while not a bad manufacturer, is not considered a top quality manufacturer.

Good luck.

Chocolatelover67
12-03-2014, 02:37 AM
also I forgot to tell you if it is weak I would highly recommend to stop using it asap power supplys can cause a voltage spike when they do finally go and if that happens when ur booting the machine up or when its on under a heavey load it can wipe out a lot of other components on ur pc if you have a multimeter u can check to see if the voltage is verying on the 24 pin connect or any of the perifaly connectors that is a for sure sign it is getting weak

Well so far so good things seem to be running with the new power supply hooked up.

I did find it strange the old one could run my other mainboard and parts but not this one. As you say probably something has stopped it from delivering proper voltages and current.

And in panic I ordered a brand new mainboard of the same make and model...... Debating whether it's worth doing a full swap when it arrives tomorrow or just keep it in the cupboard..

On the board I am using now there used to be little white clips on the PCI slots that hold the graphics card in, well on my board I broke those off by accident....

So I'm wondering with the new board maybe swapping things over is a good idea because I can then use the clip to hold the graphics card in place and not worry about having to seat it....

Chocolatelover67
12-03-2014, 02:38 AM
Also what's the safest way to discharge a power supply I am going to tear down the old one and examine it.

ITPalg
12-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Also what's the safest way to discharge a power supply I am going to tear down the old one and examine it.

A qualified technician.

WanWhiteWolf
12-03-2014, 05:25 AM

I would recommend against. If you decide it to do it tho, I would recommend asking on a PC forum. People there have way more experience than Defiance forumers.

Keep in mind that those things can be dangerous.I am an electronics engineer and I wouldn't open one without propper documentation and research in advance.

And considering the price of a power supply ... Does it really worth the time?

Chocolatelover67
12-03-2014, 07:08 AM
I would recommend against. If you decide it to do it tho, I would recommend asking on a PC forum. People there have way more experience than Defiance forumers.

Keep in mind that those things can be dangerous.I am an electronics engineer and I wouldn't open one without propper documentation and research in advance.

And considering the price of a power supply ... Does it really worth the time?

I do teardowns all the time........

I am letting it sit on the floor for a day or two to discharge. I could have used a neon bulb across the caps to do this safely or a 150 ohn resistor, but I shall let it sit idle.

there is yellow gunk on the board near one of the capacitors and I wanted to see if that was leakage or just potting compound. It's also on one of the large coils.

I just wanted to see if anyone knew of a fast way to discharge without opening the unit.

Old ATX unit that I had last year I just dunked in a bucket of water and let it sit for a minute or two. Was safe to touch the boards and the contacts where the caps were. Could have done the same but this time around I actually want to salvage some bits.