PDA

View Full Version : SYFY'S OPINON OF DEFIANCE (THE GAME vs THE SHOW)

DEMON
12-13-2014, 01:57 PM
This is an excerpt from an interview published in The Hollywood Reporter with Syfy's boss Dave Howe and his opinion of the "Defiance Experiment" :...The entire article may be read here (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfys-dave-howe-new-strategy-755056?utm_source=twitter)
What did you learn from the $100 million Defiance experiment, which involved creating an original TV show alongside a video game?
We built a video game together with a series it was a very risky, long-term project, but we need to be in the business of what's new and what's next, storytelling beyond the linear experience. The series has been very successful (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-renews-dominion-defiance-735686), the game less so, and the learning curve around immersive storytelling was incredibly powerful for us. So, the Defiance experience was incredibly fun and incredibly frustrating.
Why frustrating?
It took five years! And it took that long because the technology kept changing. It was designed to be a PC game, and then console platforms became online-capable, so we decided to launch it on PlayStation. Then suddenly we could do it on Xbox. Each time we added, it added another year to it and a level of expense to it. And the gaming space has also changed. It's now about free-to-play, so people don't want to pay for console games.

Jeff Lonestar
12-13-2014, 10:45 PM
i Love Both the Show & the Game... I wish the show was more like the Live Action Trailer for the Game though!

dzAwvBbfaFg

Its AMAZING! O_O

Grey Dawn
12-14-2014, 03:30 AM
SyFy's opinion on the game was made more than clear after this year's crossover content. From Varus, to the Golden Gate, the all but extremely weak connection with EGO devices and Pilgrims, and finally the "player character" insertion into the show. It is more than obvious that SyFy has no intention of producing actual crossover content of any worth at all.

Hopeisdead
12-14-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't watch Defiance the show..
Game stand on its own quite well in my opinion.

hardy83
12-14-2014, 05:21 PM
It was intended to be PC only? OH MY GERD! That would've made the game so much better! lol

I mean the technical limitations for a proper MMO on the PS3/360 were just too much.
Slow processors, low ram. Two vital things an MMO needs.

If this game was made with the PS4/One in mind, then sure it could work, but bringing to to consoles really held the game back both technically and in features.

....Still waiting for those HD textures that'll never come to PC. lol

JKG
12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
i Love Both the Show & the Game... I wish the show was more like the Live Action Trailer for the Game though!

dzAwvBbfaFg

Its AMAZING! O_O

So what happen to these Motorcycles? an the trailer looks/looked amazing.

Hopeisdead
12-14-2014, 10:13 PM
It was intended to be PC only? OH MY GERD! That would've made the game so much better! lol

I mean the technical limitations for a proper MMO on the PS3/360 were just too much.
Slow processors, low ram. Two vital things an MMO needs.

The local client is the least of an problem, the whole server and network infrastructure for consoles is the real issue. But that probably is problem for the console users..

From PC perspective i agree, game suffers for being multiplatform as pretty much any game released for consoles and PC.

Quebra Regra
12-15-2014, 02:06 PM

dzAwvBbfaFg

Its AMAZING! O_O

Been saying that since the show came out.

gurugeorge
12-16-2014, 05:56 AM
After a bit of a rocky start, the show turned out to be very good (especially towards the end of the second season), and I'm looking forward to the 3rd season. The game is also pretty good, though it suffers from limitations that seem unnecessary.

It's a shame they didn't quite get it all together as it was a good idea, but maybe just a bit ahead of its time and the tech really wasn't all in place for it yet (as the guy said, they had the idea just at the time that consoles were becoming more MMO-capable, and had to change things around).

Here's hoping the relative lack of success of the experiment doesn't deter people from trying it again in the future, because it could work amazingly well if everything lines up. I think they'd need more of a sandbox design for the MMO to have impact on the tv/movie though (i.e. if players generated their own "stories", a la EVE Online, then they could be incorporated into a tv/movie, at the moment the "direction" can only go one way, from the tv/movie to the game).

Watson121
12-16-2014, 10:07 AM
After a bit of a rocky start, the show turned out to be very good (especially towards the end of the second season), and I'm looking forward to the 3rd season. The game is also pretty good, though it suffers from limitations that seem unnecessary.

It's a shame they didn't quite get it all together as it was a good idea, but maybe just a bit ahead of its time and the tech really wasn't all in place for it yet (as the guy said, they had the idea just at the time that consoles were becoming more MMO-capable, and had to change things around).

Here's hoping the relative lack of success of the experiment doesn't deter people from trying it again in the future, because it could work amazingly well if everything lines up. I think they'd need more of a sandbox design for the MMO to have impact on the tv/movie though (i.e. if players generated their own "stories", a la EVE Online, then they could be incorporated into a tv/movie, at the moment the "direction" can only go one way, from the tv/movie to the game).

I agree with all of your points because the idea for the show was extremely good and interesting, it was the first thing which got me interested in the show and game. It would of been cool for the game to effect the show and vice versea, but as you said it did not work out because it was too ahead of its time and the consoles not being powerful enough. Well, I love the show and the game and I hope that season 3's crossover content will be more interesting and engaging. From looking at the most recent news post, you can see that some really awesome content it coming. Hope to see you in the world. :D

Deirachel
12-16-2014, 03:28 PM
I read the entire article. What struck me is the incredible level of spin doctoring this guy does.

First is the fact he didn't even mention Trion is the IP owner.

"We have to balance business and creative" is a cop out. If you anger your fan base with nothing but "unscripted" stuff (i.e. Ghost Hunters), then you will not have a business.

Defiance was frustrating because it took five years to develop? Really? Most sci-fi shows take a two to three years to develop WITHOUT a video game attached. A completely new intellectual property for a game? 2-10 years...

Then there is the juxtaposition of previous interviews with former Defiance developers. SyFy had a habit of NOT PARTICIPATING IN A TIMELY FASHION during the development when asked for input. They started, then disappeared when they were needed for the art assets until they felt like it.

Trion isn't off the hook for their mess up (which I can honestly say they are making progress on), but SyFy isn't clean.